PDA

View Full Version : Trends in music group names

Phantom spirit
06-15-2003, 07:36 PM
Has anyone ever noticed, that to make it big in the `60s and `70s, a band had to have two words in the name, preferably with the word "the" in front...
... The Temptations, The Clash, The Platters, The Doors, Grateful Dead, Steely Dan

In the '80s and '90s, only one word would do to shoot you to stardom, to the point where you might even have to change your given name...
...Madonna, Sting, Prince (don't laugh, he WAS big once), U-2, Radiohead, Yes

This decade, it's alphanumeric or nothing...
...Matchbox Twenty, Blink 182, 50 Cent

Makes sense, considering our social security numbers are replacing our names. Do you agree? How does the fixx fit into this scenario? What can you add to this list?

Octopulse
06-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Hey Phantom Spirit!, havent heard from ya in awhile, where have you been? :cool:

I cant think to add to your list right now, but I do see where you have a point about trends, I suppose band names is just like anything else that changes with them.... clothes, hairstyles, lingo, whatever else, it makes perfect sense to me

Phantom spirit
06-15-2003, 08:00 PM
See what happens - you make someone a fixxture and they disappear on you. Sorry I've been so distant.

Rain
06-21-2003, 05:45 AM
That's a really good point... I may have noticed it but it must've been subconsciously...:rolleyes:

Bubbha
06-30-2003, 06:59 PM
We have run out of names for rock and roll bands (a real band).

b