PDA

View Full Version : Opening Acts

The Optimist
08-13-2003, 04:28 AM
Has anyone seen the band Fiction Plane play live?
I think they would be great on a Fixx Tour.
What other bands would be cool to see open for the Fixx?

spin it
08-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Good question Optimist,
Hall and Oates would do me.
But returning to the real world and with Fixx fans in mind how about INXS saw them in 88 and I know theyre still going strong even without Michael.
I think I read in the guardian that they were considering U2 in an attempt to help them out of a slump!!!!!
Actually Stuart has been raving on about the support bands for the Swansea gig so I ll settle for them at the moment.

Regards

Dave
:D

ps I hope your other responses are more realistic.

Rain
08-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Dave, I wanted to say that too, LOL!! But I just can't bear to think of H&O as openers... and the other Fixxtures may not be as pleased as you and I would!

Go West would be nice, but then they're not very rock-oriented either...hmmm... hey how about Joe Lynn Turner?

The Optimist
08-14-2003, 04:14 AM
Joe Lynn Turner!? The Rainbow guy?
I hope the Fixx get some new youngsters to play with them. Someone who can draw a younger crowd and who would be introduced to the Fixx. This is a brand new CD coming, it's not like some sort of classic rock reunion performance. No one calls the Stones a '60s band. In 1981 they had Heart and Van Halen on tour with them! The Fixx should give some young act the same opportunity, but at least choose a band with a major release. Make it a big tour.

or heck, no support. How 'bout a 2 hour show?!

Rain
08-14-2003, 10:03 PM
Yeah, the Rainbow guy... he's got a new cd out and is gigging here and there. He's a great vocalist and very underrated, IMHO. Some good exposure for him would be nice!

But I agree with you, no opener is just peachy with me! H&O fans are complaining because they have a few dates with Kenny Loggins...which could ultimately shorten the setlist. So a longer show for the headliner is cool with me!! :D :D :D :D

The Optimist
08-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Yes, he's got a great voice. I didn't keep up with his career. I'd love to go see him.
Now the shoe is on the other foot.
I always defend the Fixx when people say "are they still around?!" I consider the Fixx like the Stones or Rush. People don't call them "the '60s band" or "the '80s band," why does that happen to the Fixx? Why are they an '80s band?
Hall & Oates and Kenny Loggins...
a friend said it was an awesome show...
I didn't care for them when they began and I don't care now. I'm trying to get people to listen to Metric, Boomkat, The Music, White Stripes, Coldplay, The Flaming Lips, Evanescence, Avril Lavigne, ANYTHING NEW! But at the same time I tell people the new Fixx CD is coming and they say "what's good or new about that?"
It's a tricky world to navigate when everybody is ultimately right and wrong at the same time for their different reasons, likes and dislikes.

magical
08-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by The Optimist
Has anyone seen the band Fiction Plane play live?
I think they would be great on a Fixx Tour.
What other bands would be cool to see open for the Fixx?

Now, why does that band's name sound familiar? I never heard them though. What type of sound? I am not sure who I would like to see open for the Fixx.

Tracy ~~~ :p

Steve Pariseau
08-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by magical
Now, why does that band's name sound familiar? I never heard them though. What type of sound?

I don't know what they sound like but I read that Sting's son is in the band.

Steve Pariseau
08-17-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by The Optimist
...I'm trying to get people to listen to Metric, Boomkat, The Music, White Stripes, Coldplay, The Flaming Lips, Evanescence, Avril Lavigne, ANYTHING NEW!

Oh, thanks for the reminder Opti! I had every intention of scoping White Stripes and The Music but never followed through. Just ordered up Elephant and the Music one with all the colors in a circle on the front.

Already a HUGE Coldplay fan, and recently was sparked by Evanescence. Got the Fallen CD and had it two days when the kids grabbed it. I haven't seen it since but I have been enjoying it as I was smart enough to burn me a backup copy before the kids got their paws on the real thing. I need to go crack the whip though, I'd like to read the liner notes.

Beers!
Steve

The Optimist
08-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Fiction Plane's singer is a young punk, just like his dad was! They're a bit more abrupt with their language, and they're definitely better live than their CD.
As for The Music, it's a loooong CD and it does get kind of tiring, but it really rocks!
And the Whites are great. I can't believe two people can put forth so much energy and passion!