PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Feedback

Fixxation
10-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Why is this band so underrated?

pipsqueak
12-16-2003, 05:20 AM
What .. ? ... '`Too .. you , does " underrated " mean exactly .... ?

pipsqueak
12-16-2003, 06:03 AM
When ever asked .... " what's my favorite .. " ... hmmm.. well anything .. i'ld most likely reply ..
" why what's yours..?"
with a eager, thirsty, anxious for info. , look on my noggin . The way I see it .. it's because people have different needs at different times . The need to be surrounded by compassion when experiencing loss , laughter when lonely , intrigue when bored ,
ect.. ect.. ect... What do you think " the Fixx " gives you that you
can't seem to get enough of and or like experiencing so much ?

pipsqueak
12-16-2003, 06:15 AM
or do yah just want tah beee mad ... ( het heh ) , it's sign of fire
wright ... les be angry ... RRRRrahh :rolleyes: } i know we can be
mad about thum git'un rid of the test board ... ah ... or that .. um
they put my buddy in jail .... you know SamBodyBinPoopEn . Rats
we were gonnah get married an ever-E-thing till theh drug us out
du that hole we wuz in . Hmmm figures ... I know He'll wait for me ... cause like i've stated before " I AM THE DEVIL " .. tee hee

preciousstone75
12-16-2003, 07:12 AM
Underrated, or underestimated I think are the options facing the Fixx. Most foks would much rather have a cult following rather than to burn brightly and just fade away a year later (like so many artists these days). Thjey don't follow trends, so that makes them a level above anyone else, doesn't it? :D

drivenfixxation
12-29-2003, 03:47 PM
I have no idea why they are underestimated, underappreciated and underrated. I have not the time to express how long I have loved this band. They have PHENOMENAL tunes with lyrics to boot. I can't think of too many bands that can produce emotional, etheral haunting tunes that trancends time and space. The amount of effortless energy that Cy emits is enough to bring a tear to anyone's eye.

I thought I died and went to heaven when I saw the band at the Cubby Bear in Chicago in 2002. They played in front of 25 awestruck fans (myself included):p After their hour long set, they hung out with us all. It was SO unbelievably amazing to me. They are the nicest bunch of chaps. Not to mention they obliged my fandom and took pictures with me and signed my cassette of "Calm Animals" and CD "Ink".

This may not necessarily validate the arguement of why The Fixx does not get the respect/recognition they deserve, however, I had to share my views some where.

A completely fixxated fan for 22+ years!!

jim
12-29-2003, 05:24 PM
I think the fixx is "underrated-ness" has mostly to do with their not being on a big record label and therefore not having greedy s.o.b.'s splashing their name all over. I think that during the reach the beach- phantoms era they were easily one of the best 100 bands in the world (by anyone's standards- not just ours). But once the sales slide a little and the big boy record company drops you, your name and your singles just don't get the attention.

Most of us here would agree that they are a fabulous band, have continued to put out great material, and are awesome live. But still they are overlooked by the general population. too bad for the general population, they are missing out.

In the early to mid 80's the Fixx was a band of popular appeal on par with today's "puddle of mudds" and "linkin park's", the record sales, tours, and top 10's support that argument. I guess they have just taken the long way home since then, instead of the burnt out, soul stealing path.

I think the hiatus after Ink didn't help any either.

Welcome to the board, maybe I'll bump into you at the next chicago show. I try to get down there as often as possible (my lil' sis lives in Lombard).

jim in wisconsin - now officially an Arizona Cardinal fan

drivenfixxation
12-29-2003, 06:20 PM
:p I am very pleased to be aboard and thanks for the warm welcome Jim.

I totally agree with you that the hiatus the band went on did not help them stay in the public eye when they returned. However I guess it is selfish of me to enjoy such an amazing live show due to the bands lack of mass appeal. They are one of the most amazing live bands I have ever seen. Not to mention they consistantly release quality material.

Long are gone of the days of the "Phantoms" and "Reach The Beach" however I enjoyed "Elemental" and now "Want the Life" immensely. I love their more subdued yet still haunting new sounds.

I have always thought The Fixx were accomplished musicians as they have honed their unique sound and carved it indelibly into the minds, hearts and souls of their ever faithful fans.

The bands that are out now that have major backing from the record labels and mass public all have the same sucky formulae. It's truly amzing to me how easily suaded and brainwashed the US is over the "new wave" of rock like the Puddle of Mudd's as you mentioned. God forbid if they gave The Fixx air play...since it doesn't fall under the category of "rock" or commerical rock. WHATEVER, it is their loss (mass public). Not like the band is at a loss for selling records. Thank God for dmall miracles.

"Want the Life" is a completely solid effort. I especially like "Are You Satisfied?" It is very reminescent of a calmer, more subdued yet jazzier version of the moody "Yesterday, Today". But that's just me. Because that song is my all time favorite.

I unfortuantely missed them last month when they came through town and played at the Abbey Pub. Did anyone attend that show?

Hopefully they will come back soon...and it would great to bump into you as well, Jim. :cool:

As far as you being an Arizona Cardinal fan, can't say I blame you there!! LOL!!!:eek:

The Optimist
12-30-2003, 12:11 PM
jim in wisconsin - now officially an Arizona Cardinal fan

As far as you being an Arizona Cardinal fan, can't say I blame you there!! LOL!!!

ouch.
I still haven't seen the replay on TV. pushed out of the endzone? oh please...
I guess it's no secret why Santa wears red. I'm just glad Cardinal fans took the win with grace and showed their sportsmanship, inviting us to Ra Sushi Bar 'round the corner from Sun Devil Stadium where happy hour included $1 hot sake. Though I wasn't too glad about that the next morning, catching my flight home.
ouch.
so anyway, good game.
what a downside up season we had.
I'll watch the playoffs and have some beer with my pizza... oh, no cheese on that, please...

preciousstone75
01-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by drivenfixxation
:p I am very pleased to be aboard and thanks for the warm welcome Jim.

I totally agree with you that the hiatus the band went on did not help them stay in the public eye when they returned. However I guess it is selfish of me to enjoy such an amazing live show due to the bands lack of mass appeal. They are one of the most amazing live bands I have ever seen. Not to mention they consistantly release quality material.

Long are gone of the days of the "Phantoms" and "Reach The Beach" however I enjoyed "Elemental" and now "Want the Life" immensely. I love their more subdued yet still haunting new sounds.

I have always thought The Fixx were accomplished musicians as they have honed their unique sound and carved it indelibly into the minds, hearts and souls of their ever faithful fans.

The bands that are out now that have major backing from the record labels and mass public all have the same sucky formulae. It's truly amzing to me how easily suaded and brainwashed the US is over the "new wave" of rock like the Puddle of Mudd's as you mentioned. God forbid if they gave The Fixx air play...since it doesn't fall under the category of "rock" or commerical rock. WHATEVER, it is their loss (mass public). Not like the band is at a loss for selling records. Thank God for dmall miracles.

"Want the Life" is a completely solid effort. I especially like "Are You Satisfied?" It is very reminescent of a calmer, more subdued yet jazzier version of the moody "Yesterday, Today". But that's just me. Because that song is my all time favorite.

I unfortuantely missed them last month when they came through town and played at the Abbey Pub. Did anyone attend that show?

Hopefully they will come back soon...and it would great to bump into you as well, Jim. :cool:

As far as you being an Arizona Cardinal fan, can't say I blame you there!! LOL!!!:eek:

Well, I'm about sixty miles south of you- there are fans of the Fixx alive and kicking here in Illinois- I have been a fan for 21 years (even though I was a rather precocious child when I stumbled onto them) so who knows what might happen? I am totally still stuck when it comes to the Fixx, fixxated if you will, and I refuse to let it go! I'm gonna have to catch them soon, because I am so sick of folks sayin how phenomenal they are live and I haven't seen them yet! Nice to meet ya- I'm the stone they call precious!

Fixxation
04-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Hello Fixxtures,

I am truly puzzled like many of you that The Fixx have not done better. Perhaps great are and great music are a like. Many of the great artist died never knowing how great they really were. I hope that the same is not true for The Fixx.

We as Fixxtures need to spread the word. This is truly a great band with a great talent and we need to support them.

Fixxation

itzWicks
04-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Fixxation
Why is this band so underrated?

There are several answers, actually, if one is brave enough to explore them..

-1- A Matter of Timing

With the first release of Shuttered Room, The Fixx was entering a VERY crowded field of New Wave Alternative music. Happily for them, a relatively new MTV played their videos in heavy rotation, and the folks who were looking for new music to listen to, happily took them in as their own.

But remember, the field was CROWDED, and audience attention was both fragile and fickle.

-2- Reducing Numbers

The majority of people who bought Fixx music were able to do so because of available disposable incomes. Today, many teens and young adults are hard pressed to do so (mainly consumers LEFT of the political equation). Consequently, this leads to music piracy, loss of sales (and credit to the band), as well as commercial recognition.

For those of us who are RIGHT of center, we actually still trot down to the music stores and legally purchase their music. And there are not enough of us to make the music critics and cultural elitists take note.

-3- Integrity Intact

This might be maddening, but here it is - The Fixx has NOT sold out, unlike others in their field and outside of it. This band makes music on its own terms, and not based upon what they THINK their audience wants to hear. That can be VERY irritating to the so-called Entertainment Gurus, but the result is a core loyalty of fans, and modest praise from the few top industry heads who "get it."

-----

I won't touch the commercial success aspect of the Fixx, but as long as I am listening to music, one of my top 10 selections will always be The Fixx.

Cheers,
Bryan

Steve Pariseau
04-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by itzWicks
...This band makes music on its own terms, and not based upon what they THINK their audience wants to hear...

Funny the one album that was put out like that has its title in your capital letters.

THINK

tenohtwo
04-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Yeah, there were probably more producers than band members on that album! Still, I like INK very much. "Falling In Love" is still pop-rock CHEESE, but it's forgivable cheese. ;)

Fixxation
04-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your responses! As usual they are well thought out. I appreciate your feedback and I believe that as long as we are out there The Fixx will keep making great music.

We must keep speaking with our dollar and buy the music rather than download it. Every Fixx album has 4 to 5 excellent songs. Today you will be luck to find an album with more than one good song.

As I have written a million times, we need to make an effort to get out to the concerts and buy there music. We need to make a statement with the dollar. I hope Rainman records makes millions and I hope some of it trickles down to The Fixx.

Please don't misunderstand me. I do not believe that The Fixx should be judged by how much money they make. Their music speaks for itself.

Fixxation

Clive3
04-20-2004, 09:48 AM
It is simple, not enough of the people today dont know hwo to appreciate a group that is from the 80's:(......... I mean they should make a MTV for groups older than today..... hehe

Clive