PDA

View Full Version : Vote - Your Favorite Song on Want That Life

Clive3
01-14-2004, 02:23 PM
I was just wondering wich of the new songs on WTL the fans thinnk is the best...

Clive

pipsqueak
01-15-2004, 02:23 AM
I had to take some time to answer that ..
for me ..
for others no ... ah'Quain'ed ..
just as is what I've aquired ah tast for fixx wise ..
what was a new'esh ...
hmmm ..
still my fav. is the R.+Out .

Clive3
01-15-2004, 02:05 PM
It was a tuff one for me as well becasue it is a great album and there is a couple really good songs on it....

Clive

rohub
01-17-2004, 10:03 PM
I'll take, "ARE YOU SATISFIED", as my favorite. I just love the, "send yourself to sleep, lose yourslf in dreams", interludes. Beautiful!! It's the only song of the lot that has not a weak moment. I like the others just fine, however, each contains a little something off. Brief as it may be.

Clive3
01-17-2004, 10:16 PM
That is true each song has its ups and downs..

Clive

gazza
01-18-2004, 03:20 AM
Roger,closely followed by Are u Satisfied.

:cool: :cool:

Char
01-18-2004, 02:25 PM
So upbeat-- a theme of unconditional love, while so many things are conditional today, is very fresh.

Clive3
01-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Wow not alot of ppl voted for how many times it has been viewed... Come on people at least vote u dont have to post just vote :P.....

Clive

SilentGeoff
01-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Just think that this one is the best. No other reason.

tenohtwo
01-27-2004, 10:05 PM
No Hollywood Ending - reminds me of Walkabout. Call me crazy.

Roger and Out does it for me. Love that song. That's my pick.

2nd place - Prove
3rd place - Satisfied

pipsqueak
01-28-2004, 01:34 AM
:) } hey yeh Qway'Zay , ... ..there are many "call back" moments
on ' Want That Life ' I find.

pipsqueak
01-28-2004, 01:45 AM
maybe it's ah guy thing ... with Are You Sat. .. you know .. getting older ... the goofy subscribed to notion of 'Mid-Life'
Oog'ahlly boogy stuff. Are you sat. or are you gonn'ah trip flippen out in ah few and try and make up for lost time. ... hmMm ..
All I have to look out for is not spring'en ah leak any more :) .
Yeh it's so fair right ? hMmm sorry if I just kind of broke your stride there with my "incoherent ongoings".
Chow Maine
Sqwack

itsmephil
01-28-2004, 08:25 AM
I love this song. I can't play it loud enough. Love the hard guitar. This was a hard poll since I am fond of many on the CD.

Especially Prove & Touch.

As for Roger & Out I don't know why I can't warm up to that song. I know a lot of folks like it. Is it because I'm 35, Pip? :(

Phil

Clive3
01-28-2004, 09:50 AM
It was tuff for me as well it actually took me awile to just post the dang thing :P...

Clive

smarthound
01-29-2004, 10:44 AM
1 - Roger And Out
2 - No Hollywood Ending
3 - Are You Satisfied

Roger was the one that grabbed me the most at first listen. Just missing the top three is We Don't Own The World, though I know a lot of folks here didn't rate it - I like the drum sound and the essentially single-note bass. But the title track has never really grown on me...

xtctom
01-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Roger & Out is also my favorite from first listen 'til now. I would love it if they could add this to the 2004 setlist. Perhaps replacing Hollywood Ending. I like that song also, but I believe it's been in the setlist longer than any other from the new CD. Just would be great to hear any of the new ones we haven't heard yet live.

Tom

dejapete
02-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Tough poll.

My favorite is "Taking the Long Way Home" because it's a good singalong.

A close second is "Straight 'Round the Bend" because it's an upbeat rocker with loud guitar. The guitar part reminds me of the one in "Woman on a Train".

RockU4Life
02-22-2004, 07:41 AM
thank the lord i can finnaly talk about the CD!!!

Clive3
02-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Hehe, it was tuff, but u gotta make up your mind sooner or later :P...

Clive

miked26
02-23-2004, 03:29 PM
I voted for "Straight Round the Bend" not just because it's a great rock song, but I like how the song blends all the band members together. It's like you get a good taste of each band member during the whole song, kind of like each member has there own part in the song before they bring it all together for the big finale.

Bill Osborne
03-01-2004, 02:09 PM
It's a tough choice between Roger and Out, and Are You Satisfied. R&O is a powerful, emotional song. Are You Satisfied is a masterpiece. Love JWO's guitar work on that one. The whole cd is satisfying...like a fine wine, The Fixx get better with age.

-- Holy cow, just realized I finally made it to fixxture after four years--:D

Clive3
03-01-2004, 02:15 PM
LOL, well welcome to the Fixxture CLub :P....

Clive

pipsqueak
03-04-2004, 12:56 AM

pipsqueak
03-27-2004, 02:46 AM
Roger - Same kind of problem that Randy has here, except we have people called Roger and no Randys. You will see a strange smile on the face of a Brit every time "Roger the Rabbit" is mentioned!! To roger means to have your wicked way with a lady. My Oxford English Dictionary says to copulate. You might say screw.

:eek: .. hey I didn't write it ... I just found it.

Fixxation
04-08-2004, 01:51 AM
Hello Fixxures,

My favorite song is Are You Satisfied? We Don't Own The World is great also. This is a great album!

Fixxation

Fixxation
04-16-2004, 01:38 AM
Hello All,

I have to cast my vote for Taking The Long Way Home. Are Your Satisfied? is a close second.

Fixxation

preciousstone75
03-24-2005, 08:08 AM
prove!!!!!!

:D :D :D

SilentGeoff
03-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Still standing by "No Hollywood Ending" as my choice....moreso now that I have had the pleasure of hearing it live. But I really didn't care for "Touch" originally and that is now fast becoming another fave from this one.

Geoff

Jeanne Thelen
03-24-2005, 05:51 PM
PROVE......Hands DOWN!!! This is " the ONE" !!! :)
ARE YOU SATISFIED.. A VERY CLOSE SECOND!!!

Alannah86
03-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Definitely agree with Smarthound's number 1 choice. Roger And Out. Absolutely brilliant...

Steve Pariseau
03-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Hm, all in a day Prove has doubled it's votes.

The Flow
03-25-2005, 12:08 AM
For me this one is easy. Taking the Long way Home has always been my fav from this album. On the tour before the release of WTL I heard this song for the first time at the Canyon Club & right then & there I said it was the best time ever hearing a song for the first time. I wish they would have continued keeping it in their song line up. Cy's vocals are amazing!

..."Step off the clock, come for a ride
It's more fun to seek than it is to hide"

Jeanne Thelen
03-25-2005, 12:05 PM
I Love the lyrics to Taking the long way home!!! GOOD CALL!! :)

Cousin O
03-28-2005, 10:52 AM
count me in the minority... i love the title track... especially the "i'll shed my load... " part, and the guitar underneath. another part that's also nice is when cy does the low, resonant "need that life" line at the end of the refrain, and jaimie chimes in with his guitar as a follow-up... i think it's pretty damn inspired. i like the circular motion of the song as well. is life a dance that goes in circles? is that what the fixx are asking us? are we going in circles? clever use of music as metaphor, if that was the intent.

kennyf
03-28-2005, 03:57 PM
It has to be Taking the long way home for me aswell, gorgeous track, awesome guitar from Jamie and great lyrics from Cy (yet again). I did a poor man's guitar chord interpretation of it on this forum somewhere if anyone would like to look. ;)

But its a great track, by the far the best off of Want that life.

castaway
03-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Prove is the best song here- it demonstrates the tight sound that reviewers of their recent concerts comment about. It would be a great single on contemporary radio as well. Too bad it's not on their tour's setlist. In fact, it's hard to believe they play only one song (Satisfied) from WTL on their tour since it's their most recent compiled effort. This song would be a great addition, especially since it's on the upbeat side.

heimo
04-05-2005, 06:37 AM
Ir is and will always be: RUSAT! There is no day I do not listen to it...

BuffaloGal
04-09-2005, 06:10 PM
I voted for "Are you Satisfied" but "Touch" is such a sexy song. It gets me moving every time I hear it. I am so glad that they are opening with it once again. Thanks guys!

Michelle;)

Diamond05
04-09-2005, 07:17 PM
in reference to TOUCH;

An "egg -shaking" sure fire opener huh Michelle?

dave

Diamond05
04-09-2005, 07:20 PM
ah, i dont know... PROVE to me sounds like OTLTA with no direction - it just goes and goes.... never changes - it just sounds like a jam session that was a happy accident... and it worked.... just like OTLTA was!

arlen
05-16-2005, 09:42 AM
This was a real struggle - but only between Touch & Want That Life. Both tracks are way out ahead for me.

Teknokon
05-21-2005, 04:05 PM
"Straight Round the Bend", with "No Hollywood Ending", "Are You Satisfied?" and "Touch" coming in close seconds.

fiona983
06-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Touch... love the jazzy sound of it ... puts me right in my happy space!!

Steve Pariseau
07-14-2005, 09:19 PM
...bump in the night

The Queen
07-15-2005, 09:42 AM
I've used "Roger and Out" to let people who have not heard the Fixx sing in ages, and only remember "Red Skies", which they always loved. Roger gets 'em back in the fold everytime!

guido
08-03-2005, 06:57 PM
From the 'mellow' Fixx album...

Roger And Out

Touch is second and would be better for airplay. Brave is a remarkable tune: there's a great soul feel to it (kinda un-Fixx though, which makes it so special).

mich112670
08-10-2005, 09:11 PM
I picked "TOUCH" I like the meditative lyrics and the mellow instrumentals. Are You Satisfied and Prove are my next pics.

Delfixxture
11-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Prove is by far the best on this one

fixxfanatic
02-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Want That Life
You Don't Have to Prove Yourself
Roger and Out

Want that Life is such a simple melody, yet conveys a heavy message....I think that's what I like about it.
You Don't Have to Prove Yourself also has a great message and a catchy melody.
And for some reason I seem to think Roger and Out reminds me of the whole feel of the Reach the Beach album....just a bit.
Maybe it's just me.
Love them all though!!!!!!

Steve Pariseau
02-06-2006, 08:31 AM
I think Want That Life (as a song) is underrated. It is a simple melody like you point out but has a complex structure in the layers of sound. SWEET!

Roger And Out most definately reminds of RTB. That was my first impression way back when it came out.

msmith1
02-06-2006, 09:36 AM
We Don't Own The World
--just because Cy truly hit the mark, with what I really believe and am about, with this song...upbeat, but stating the plain truth.

Close behind..."Touch" (Jamie's guitar and backing vocals at the beginning...whew) and "Straight 'Round the Bend"(Jamie's guitar hook--LOVE IT--and trying to reach Cy's high note in it...LOL!)

Kim:)

*"Brave" could play on a Gospel station...hmmm, another market?

Jeanne Thelen
10-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Taking the long way home ...has become a presonal favorite ...:love:

But Are you Sarisfied also has a special place in my heart!!!

kiltgirl
10-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Wow, this is hard - all the songs sound so diverse! I think it's a tie between Want That Life and Roger And Out. :confused:

t5TheFool
03-17-2008, 07:56 PM
touch is a great , great song !! it's in my top 3 fixx songs of all-time !! also like want that life alot . those 2 are always on repeat .

t5TheFool
03-17-2008, 07:57 PM
touch is a great , great song !! it's in my top 3 fixx songs of all-time !! also like want that life alot . those 2 are always on repeat .

cageyJG
03-16-2009, 03:17 PM
I love the wistful guitars on 'Satisfied.' Part of The Fixx's trademark sound...

Is this the 'official' thread for this album?

This seems to me a significant benchmark in The Fixx's history and was hoping for more reactions to it.

I loved this album so much & wish I could read something more - anything on the band's thoughts on this album; their perspectives, about their lives at the time of the recordings, any symbolism that contributed toward the songs... whether there were any videos too.

Maybe you're like me in the album being part of your own life's soundtrack in '03 or '04... I was living overseas and found the album by total chance. It accompanied me on many a good hike out in town, after hours...

Cary C-Troll
03-16-2009, 10:59 PM
I vote "Touch"

The video on YouTube...watched over & over & over

Steve Pariseau
03-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Cagey:
There is a more difinitive thread for Want That Life started by the album's producer, Martin Rex. As the album came out, various fans posted their impressions of the album.

Look Here (http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=893)