PDA

View Full Version : How seriously should we take The Fixx?

dejapete
05-11-2004, 05:26 AM
How seriously should we take The Fixx? That’s something I’ve been wondering about lately. While listening to Fixx songs, one hears themes of impending cataclysm, rejection of status quo, and the search for personal fulfillment. Some serious stuff.

At my first Fixx concert, I joked with my wife because Cy would lead us to sing along with “Red Skies” and “Stand or Fall”. It was kind of like, “The world is going to Hell. Now everyone sing.”

Are these anthems to be sung for fun or to be taken seriously? Perhaps The Fixx would like to be taken seriously, but I don’t think that is their aim. In my opinion, their primary goal is to provide entertainment and for us to have fun. The content of their songs is serious, but I don’t think they really see themselves as the vanguard for some cause.

Octopulse
05-11-2004, 06:54 AM
I take the band serious, how can I not deny that they are a big part of my life after 22+ years of listening?, but .... not too seriously either, we are just all people anyway, for me its kinda hard to define where one becomes the other.

More importantly though, maybe for my own sense of centeredness if anything else .... I havent placed them on any pedestals, I dont even put Jimi up there, to me pedestals are only for kicking over .. ya no?

jim
05-12-2004, 07:49 PM
below teachers, doctors, family, and God

above athletes, talk show hosts, actors, and most other folk

Clive3
05-21-2004, 02:55 PM
I love the Fixx, OF COURSE I TAKE THEM SERIOUOSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How could you not, i love all the guys they are all very nice, as well as all the fans........ What is there not to take serious aobut them?

Clive

dejapete
05-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi Clive.

Same goes for me. I love those guys and their music. And I recently had the wonderful privilege to hear them play and to meet them.

For the record, I meant to post this to Lighthouse. But, what the heck. Who knows where it might go. (probably page 2, but that's OK)

Clive3
05-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Heheh, thats great get out to see them more

dejapete
05-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks. I will.

I'm planning on seeing them at the Taste of Minnesota in St. Paul, MN. They will be following the Four Tops. I guess they are being booked as part of that nostalgia thing. At Summerfest, they are following Colin Hay of Men At Work.

This time, I will take them more seriously. It's kind of like what MK said (are you still lurking out there, dear?). During a concert, I tend to get caught up in the moment and act silly. So, if anyone wants to join me, I promise I won't spill drinks on you. (Sorry about that, Bruce.)

And I do take The Fixx's song lyrics seriously. For one thing, I'm concerned about the U.S.'s image in the rest of the world. And for another...well, I'll save it for another time.

pipsqueak
05-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Strong with 2 Shoogz please..

:)

aikakone
10-31-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by dejapete
At my first Fixx concert, I joked with my wife because Cy would lead us to sing along with “Red Skies” and “Stand or Fall”. It was kind of like, “The world is going to Hell. Now everyone sing.”

Very amusing! I can totally see this because that's the kind of music they make. I like what they have, but a deeper inspection of the lyrics shows something else. For example, "In Suspense" or "Facing the Wind" from Phantoms [if I'm remembering my lyrics correctly] are all rather heady stuff and not about interpersonal relationships.

At the same time, I don't think The Fixx has ever had the image of an "activist band". I'm not completely positive what image they did/do have, but I don't find that to be one of them.

R-we-R-selves
11-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Oh I take them seriously...but its not like I devote my life to them.

I was so FIXXated in the 80's-90's, I mean I still love them, but I was heavily into them from 1985-1990ish. I saw them in '90 and loaned the band members my pen for them to sign autographs. I got back both signatures and pen. My friends joked that I'd never let the pen out of my sight since the Fixx touched it. They said I'd probably put it in a glass case on a shelf behind velvet ropes- LOL! Well I didn't go that far, but I still have the pen, and its labeled "Fixx pen" and its in my drawer. And it still works too!

So...yeah...I take the Fixx seriously!

STUART
11-08-2004, 02:23 AM
I take the Fixx as they are, they were and still are the sound of my youth, they've been the one constant in my life, when things go wrong and enough of them have, the Fixx have always been there, just the press of a button away, and suddenly all my troubles drift away, better than chemical answers any day.
I've never been one of these fans that analyzed lyrics, hell I couldn't have cared nor told you what Red Skies was about, I'm in it for the music and not the meanings behind the songs, but seriously, yep - serious enough for me.

Jeanne Thelen
11-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Intresting view points... I Love hearing everyones opinions .. I am one of those people who does analyze lyrics .. the song has to say something to me or at least get me to visualize the story or what the song writer was trying to convey ...Don't get me wrong .. I like plenty of songs just for their "Boom, Boom " dance beat .. But for me to really get into the music .. I have to understand what is behind it .. So, I take the Fixx's words very seriously, when the intention is for it to be taken seriously (ei: Stand or Fall or a song like Silent House ) and not.. where it is just for fun .. Like "Going Overboard" ... That was just a "fun" Song ... Jeanne ...

Raych the Beach
11-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Y'know, I always thought I was the Fixx' biggest fan, but it's nice to know there is a community of us! The Fixx are my favorite band, and I take music very seriously. So, yes, I take the Fixx seriously.

dejapete
10-28-2005, 05:58 AM
"Our destiny relies on conscience. Red or blue, what's the difference?"

Not much when there are enough WMD's to destroy ourselves 10,000 times over. Let's get it together! In the past weopons conquered. We can't use those anymore!

(and where is MK?!)

CousinO
10-28-2005, 09:07 AM
The Fixx's aim as musicians is multifold and works on different levels, which is undoubtedly the point.

The answer to how seriously the lyrics should be taken lies somewhere in the middle. It also depends on which aspect you appreciate at any given moment, which is also (no doubt) by design.

The songs are designed to entertain, to be anthemic and moving, and also "fun". However, at a deeper level they are designed to express the band's (and the audience's) concerns, express emotions, pose questions,
to be alternately life-affirming or soothsaying, etc. Cy Curnin (and the band) seem like thoughtful, introspective people and of course that is going to come through in the lyrics. Thankfully, the Fixx never jams these more "serious" elements down our throats.

It is to the band's credit that these more "serious" elements are always tastefully restrained and they never come across as overbearing, preachy, or overly earnest. (A line that bands like u2 often cross). Often the issues are presented as concerns and doubts (why else would so many of their song titles be questions? ) rather than "oh, we have all the answers, and here's what YOU LITTLE PEOPLE need to do"

The Fixx's music challenges the listener to think and feel, and while this element is not NEEDED to just groove along to a song like Red Skies, it can definitely deepen the experience or add more dimensions and layers of depth to an already great song.

I would also like to point out that musicians often make is they think they have to "sound serious" in order to be taken seriously as musicians. Alot of listeners buy into this fallacy as well, and as a result we get alot of preachy,overly-earnest and self-righteous bands that the critics praise to kingdom come. This is a bunch of bullsh*t in my mind. I believe bands like Roxy Music and the Damned are among the greatest artists/bands ever, and most of their songs have nothing to do with "serious" topics. They were always serious about what they did, however. (and still are.)

I have more to say on this, but I'll just post this for now...
:cool:

seadave
10-29-2005, 05:17 AM
The words don't mean much to me. If the music sounds good and the singing is good then I take a band seriously as I do the Fixx. If they suck then they should go write poetry and read it in coffee houses as most of these freaks making "music" should have been relegated to do with their back porch ditties that are being paraded around as musical masterpieces with their so-important social commentary that we are supposed to care about.

I I don't care about some f**k up like eminem or his mother or wife. If he and Dr. dre are so tough let them go fight the Taliban and then we can watch them run back to their mamas with their tails in between their legs.

Eminem may have been poor, but he had cable TV because he is just copying new wave stuff he watched as a kid while adding hip hop to it.

It's people like this who ruined music and convinced mindless idiots that they are cool . For a young person to say eminem sucks now is like a young person saying Aerosmith sucked back in the 1970s. They would be ridiculed for not following the leader and saying these politically correct bands are so wonderful and great.

msmith1
10-29-2005, 04:55 PM
I take them very seriously, in that, they remind me there are people in this world who still think, feel, use their brain power and creativity to speak out. Even in their lighter songs, there is truth. The Arts reflect society, and the current state of most of the Arts (ie- the music industry, movies, fashion, artwork-ie: Thomas Kinkade) is without thought, vapid, uninspiring, recycled mass marketing. Oh yeah...look around, it's everywhere. What happened? How did we get to this point?
Offensive is a good word for it. I really believe that things are being allowed to slip into rampant, mindless mediocrity--the general mass acceptance of things like the sad state of our educational systems--no one is encouraged anymore to excel, but just to fit in, be one of the herd and not think with nor speak your mind, ever! Agency control, you know...they'll take your soul.

Kim

The Queen
10-29-2005, 06:28 PM
It's the McDonaldization of our society. John Q. Public wants more.

fixxfanatic
10-30-2005, 08:59 PM
It is hard to pay attention to their lyrics without paying attention to how they feel about them through things like interviews, acknowledgements they write for albums, or even in conversation if you are fortunate enough to get to talk with them. Check out for instance what Cy writes about his solo album, Mayfly. He certainly believes those words are something that were meant to fit when he wrote those songs....but not perhaps forever. Cy is like many musicians, who are gifted with the ability to create music that comes from a longing deep in his soul. This is how he, and the rest of the band express themselves. What is in their heart certainly shows in their music. I think they do not take lightly the messages they convey with their work...and they believe these messages can sink just as deep into the fans who listen to it. No, it is absoloutly not true that they are just creating music to "entertain"...that is the byproduct of their expression.

Jeanne Thelen
10-31-2005, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fixxfanatic
[ What is in their heart certainly shows in their music. I think they do not take lightly the messages they convey with their work...and they believe these messages can sink just as deep into the fans who listen to it. No, it is absoloutly not true that they are just creating music to "entertain"...that is the byproduct of their expression.

VERY WELL DONE AND SAID,FIXXFANATIC !!!!!

I could not begin to agree more.....:)

Inkblot
02-13-2006, 07:48 AM
I agree with fixxfanatic - What is in their heart certainly shows in their music.

I take what they say very seriously, since they discuss very serious issues in their songs that aren't often brought to light by other forms of media/entertainment, etc. In fact, one of the things that drew me to the Fixx was that Cy was singing/writing about things I was already thinking about. A lot of people think I only feel that way about stuff because I'm "heavily influenced by the music I listen to," when in fact I listen to said music because I can relate.

shoeman
02-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Briefly......

I take them seriously in two very substantial ways.

1. The lyrics do offer a challenge.
And I love to be presented with a challenge.
So I'm hooked right there.

2. The quality of their finished product is top-notch.
There is no "filler" on any of their albums. And that's what I ask of an artist. Don't waste my time. Give me something that's plenty good.
And the guys always get through to me with the excellency of their work.
Therefore, they've not only hooked me.
They've kept me.

Steve Pariseau
02-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by shoeman
...There is no "filler" on any of their albums.

Trying to summons xxif are ya?

You're just begging him to join us and place his 500th post :D

shoeman
02-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Oh-so-close to being "Fixxated.":goodie:

dejapete
04-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I said:

In my opinion, their primary goal is to provide entertainment and for us to have fun. The content of their songs is serious, but I don’t think they really see themselves as the vanguard for some cause.

Cy said on 1011 Woodland:

We see ourselves as missionaries to the great cause of Life and may it's magic steer us into a new dawning of spiritual connection. God knows we need it.

Crow with an extra helping of humble pie. Yum Yum.

The reason I started this thread is that I met Cy once and mentioned that I had seen his show the night before. His response was "Did you have fun?" I was expecting something different...

edit: But what else could he have said in that spur of the moment passing conversational moment?

shoeman
04-02-2006, 11:03 PM
But Pete, I thought it was a great question to be raised in the first place.
It has helped us to dig deep and give a lot of reflection.

So treat yourself to a scoop of ice cream........
:cool:

dejapete
04-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks, John.

I grew up in times when people were beginning to question the Establishment. It was about the environment and the war in Viet Nam. It made an impression on me.

Cy's speaks to me through his songs because he's on that wavelength. They are cynical and hopeful at the same time.

Over the past decades, there have been doomsayers with warnings, yet so far we survive. Let's continue to hope that with sane minds, wisdom, and the grace of God, we will prevail...

shoeman
04-05-2006, 11:24 PM
And so: we fans win either way.

"Did the meaningful lyrics get through to you?"
Yes, they did.
They made me stop and think.

"Did you have fun?"
Oh, yeah.
Fixx music kicks serious butt.

CousinO
05-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi Fixx fanatic and Jeanne.

You did not read my post fully... I said that the fixx's intention was multifold, and that entertaining people was only PART of their goal. I never said their music exists ONLY to enterain. Yes, I firmly believe the Fixx are artists, but their goals as artists can be multifold.

Asuka
08-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Do i take them seriously? Well, as seriously as anyone else's opinions that seem informed and intelligent. I seem to recall that, in the 80's, one popular magazine called them "the thinking person's band." They certainly don't tend to write things like,"lets go surfing everyone have fun ya ya ya." Over the years that i have been listening to them, i've always managed to hear songs that not only describe pretty much how i feel about something, but the music totally resonates with that as well.

Carrie
06-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Found this thread from a ways back and wanted to add my thoughts. I very much take the subjects of Fixx songs to heart (either because , as others have said, I think along the same lines, and therefore find them supportive, or because they inspire me or give me the courage to think about things and do things in a new way). In either case, I think paying attention to what they're saying/evoking has brought me to a better state of mind, and when you're in a better state of mind, having fun becomes a lot easier.

I know I'm having a lot more fun in the last few months since I've been a fan, so I'll continue to welcome the guys' inspiration! :)

dejapete
06-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Ahhh...Mitraria's old thread. Would you believe that person was pretty drunk at the time when he started it? :drunk: Perhaps one of his best threads, though.

The Fixx definitely have an important message, though I see it more as social than personal. As Cy always says, "no less true today." (or to that effect, anyway)

Carrie revealed an embarrassing spelling error. :o

Carrie
06-02-2007, 07:01 PM
The Fixx definitely have an important message, though I see it more as social then personal.

You have a good point there, and it brings me to another point I forgot to mention earlier. Unlike some forms of art that ask people to think, but don't necessarily require the consequence of the thought to affect others, the Fixx's work seems to have a goal of making people more aware of the lives they affect. Well, it seems that way to me, I can't speak for what it does to anyone else :) I suppose I see them being able to affect society by asking each person in it to think about the role (s)he wants to play, and how best to interact with others.

I feel that listening to them has made me more of a participant in life rather than going through it on autopilot, at any rate, and one consequence of this is that it's become more fun (which is good for the people around me). It helps that their music is lively or stirring (or both), and complements how the lyrics wake me up! Now if this could happen on a large enough scale, I think society as a whole would be more fun and less stressful!

preciousstone75
06-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Ahhh...Mitraria's old thread. Would you believe that person was pretty drunk at the time when he started it? :drunk: Perhaps one of his best threads, though.

I seem to remember that name being attached to a certain guy. . .;)

seadave
07-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Maybe with a possible restart of a cold war the Fixx's music might apply once again.

Delfixxture
07-12-2008, 07:05 AM
I love the music and the messages portrayed by the band. I can't wait to have my kids who also like their music finally be able to see them in Middletown on August 2 because they will not be playing in a club.

Delfixxture
07-12-2008, 07:07 AM
I love the music and the messages portrayed by the band. I can't wait to have my kids who also like their music finally be able to see them in Middletown on August 2 because they will not be playing in a club.

Asuka
07-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I can certainly relate to a lot of the content of their songs, especially the more soul-searching ones...

passengerintime
04-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Well, In the 80's, when my older sister was "catching" the new wave fever, I was a little "metal head", disgusted by most of the music she was listening to.

Except for the Fixx, it was the only record she played that I wouldn't walk out of the room when I heard it...

Then I started listening to the words... Ahh the words....

Changed my thoughts when I was most susceptible to influence!

Thanks boys!

"The reason I started this thread is that I met Cy once and mentioned that I had seen his show the night before. His response was "Did you have fun?" I was expecting something different... "

I think you take them too seriously! lol....

fixxed
04-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey! Another Winnipegger on the board! Welcome! :)

I've been seriously influenced by The FIXX since Shuttered Room... Whether through the thought-provoking lyrics or the incredible music, I feel that my consciousness has been lifted to a (slightly) higher level. (Of course, it could also be the massive amounts of coffee I drink... but I digress!)

My wife and I are heading out to Regina for the June 12th show, and we'll (hopefully) finally meet the band in person! :cheers:

Phil.

passengerintime
04-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by fixxed
Hey! Another Winnipegger on the board! Welcome! :)

Phil.

Hey Phil. I would like to go to the show, I am not sure I can make it though...

People in Winnipeg apparently has great taste in music! lol...

Cheers,

Kevin

Jeanne Thelen
05-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by preciousstone75
I seem to remember that name being attached to a certain guy. . .;)

I also remember that being attached to a certain guy as well.....HMMMM.

Beached Male
03-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Reviving this old thread.

To me, the band's stance on issues gets more solid as the years go on. Their longevity isn't because of the money - they actually like (and believe) in what they're doing. While I agree that major catastrophes and world wars are not easy to have group sing-a-longs about, The Fixx have been the Bards that brought us to think (and rethink) about such things.
BM

Angela
06-26-2011, 01:17 AM
I believe in them as a way of life. There words and music are with me at my highest and lowest parts of of my lfe. I have been a fan since 1984 and I still am. Anytime I need a refresher on the world and whats going on around me I can always count on them. They bring my world alittle more life. I expect way more out of you as fans then what I see. I thik they are amazing and I will always love them Everyone as there opinions and changes happen so roll with it and be there for them like they have ben for us. I love them and personally I miss them I am from Florida and I have been in Ohio for a while. Im dyin to see them again. They should check out a venue i columbus,ohio called the Newport its down by the college ohio state. Id KILL to see them there or any where close I miss them BAD!! By the way CY you have beautiful feet YEH its me from Tampa

Angela
06-26-2011, 01:19 AM
I believe in them as a way of life. There words and music are with me at my highest and lowest parts of of my lfe. I have been a fan since 1984 and I still am. Anytime I need a refresher on the world and whats going on around me I can always count on them. They bring my world alittle more life. I expect way more out of you as fans then what I see. I thik they are amazing and I will always love them Everyone as there opinions and changes happen so roll with it and be there for them like they have ben for us. I love them and personally I miss them I am from Florida and I have been in Ohio for a while. Im dyin to see them again. They should check out a venue i columbus,ohio called the Newport its down by the college ohio state. Id KILL to see them there or any where close I miss them BAD!! By the way CY you have beautiful feet YEH its me from Tampa