PDA

View Full Version : Best Concert

dejapete
05-16-2004, 06:31 PM
What is the best concert(s) you've been to?
Could be the most memorable. Most fun. Best music. It doesn't even have to be music. Could be the best comic.

I don't get out much, so it's easy for me.

Saw Arlo Guthrie in Feb 2002 in La Crosse, WI. He's a talented musician, and it was a good show. He was touring with his family. Missed the concert the previous year where he did Alice's Restaurant, though.

2003 saw Nickel Creek. They're sort of an acoustic folk/country band that rocks. Chris Thile is an awesome mandolin player.

Fall of '88 saw Bruce Hornsby and the Range. He can really play piano. They did a rockabilly version of "The Mighty Quinn" for an encore.

2002 saw The Fixx in Racine, WI. They sounded good, and it was the first time I got to meet the boys in the band.

jim
05-16-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm biased but the Fixx show I saw in Stevens Point a couple years ago is the best concert I've been to. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I was 6 feet from Cy the entire show, and the guys did a heeluva show, and chatted afterwards for an hour. Best show ever.

I was also 3rd row for John Cougar in the mid 90's at summerfest and that was a good show also. Joan Jett in Eau Claire in 1990 was actually pretty good too (front row). Also saw Hornsby at summerfest in 88- his band was excellent and it was at the height of his popularity. Howard Jones was good, Tina Turner was a great performer, as was Lionel Richie. And Bette Midler also put on a great show.

The only other great concert I saw that I was blown away at was an acoustic guitarist named Michael Hedges. He made sounds come out of a guitar that sounded impossible. It sounded like 3 people were playing guitar when he performed. Some of the greatest guitar work I've ever heard. Sad thing, he died about 5 years ago in a car accident.

I would rate the Fixx and Michael Hedges as the two best concerts I've ever seen.

deBASHmode
05-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Seeing Queen as your first concert is kinda hard to beat - they were excellent live. More a pared down rock set. First and best in my book.

I've seen fabulous Todd Rundgren shows, and horrid ones, and everything in between. When they're good, it's magic.

Caught Yes on their 1984 90125 tour - it was amazing.

Getting my first Fixx in a week - can't wait!

Clive3
05-16-2004, 09:30 PM
311 concert :)..... Last year i bielve at Santa Barbara Bowl

tenohtwo
05-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Peter Gabriel - Secret World tour, Phoenix, 1993. Visually stunning and musically amazing. Never had a better concert experience.

Fixxation
05-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Hello All,

I should really think about this one before I answer. Off the top of my head, here are a few. Van Halen on the "Diver Down" tour with David Lee Roth. Bruce Springsteen everytime I saw him. Genesis on the "Duke" tour. Depeche Mode on the "Music For The Masses" tour. Any of The Fixx concerts. I did not care for the House Of Blues in Anaheim as a venue. Queen on the "Fat Bottom Girls" tour. Supertramp on the "Breakfast In America" tour. Peter Gabriel the "So" tour.

Oh my God! I almost forgot. My favorite of all time has got to be Pink Floyd "The Wall" tour. I saw them in Long Island, New York. What a show!

Although this does not qualify, I think U2's "Rattle and Hum" is a great concert to watch.

Fixxation

Wilkie UK
05-17-2004, 02:50 AM
I managed about 15 gigs last year, which also included my favourite...Saga at the Amager Bio in Copenhagen. I flew over to meet up with loads of like-minded Saga fans, who I had been 'talking' with for some time.
Not just for the music, but the audience were up for it, and the band and crowd together, just made it a magic experience.

Fixxation
05-17-2004, 07:56 AM
Hello Wilkie UK'

I was going to mention Saga in response, however, I did not think anyone would have heard of them. Living here in the USA, I have lost touch with them. Glad to hear they are still out there.

"Images At Twlight" is still one of my favorites. In keeping with this tread. "In transit" was a great album and tour.

Fixxation

Wilkie UK
05-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Hey Fixxation, Saga are certainly still going, although mostly in Europe. Checkout www.saga-world.com for uptodate info. There's even been rumours of US dates, this year :cool: .

There has been a few threads on their forum, regarding The Fixx. There are quite a few Saga/ Fixx fans out there :D

Fixxation
05-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey Wilkie UK,

I would love to see them again. I have not been checking this forum. I will now knowing that there are so many people with great taste in msuic.

Hey do you like the Waterboys?

Fixxation

Wilkie UK
05-18-2004, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Wilkie UK
Hey Fixxation, Saga are certainly still going, although mostly in Europe. Checkout www.saga-world.com for uptodate info. There's even been rumours of US dates, this year :cool: .

There has been a few threads on their forum, regarding The Fixx. There are quite a few Saga/ Fixx fans out there :D
I'm not that familiar with The Waterboys, except their big hit. I'm more of a prog rock fan; Spock's Beard, Marillion, Enchant, etc. I just have 'pop' moments, like The Fixx, Anastacia, etc.

Fixxation
05-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Hey Wilkie UK,

I can't tell you how excited I am about the news of Saga. I have been a fan since "Images At Twight." I have missed their last 6 or 7 albums. Here in the US you cannot find their music. When I visit Canada, I try and buy some Canadian music. I will keep checking their website.

Thanks Again,

Fixxation

Wilkie UK
05-19-2004, 02:14 AM
Hey Fixxation,

There are dozens of US-based Saga fans on the Saga forum, all with the same problem as you. I hope you have luck, getting hold of the music. If you have any problems, let me know.

Let me know, when you sign on to the forum. As I said, there are plenty of Fixx fans there.

Last week, Saga invited any fans in Southern California, down to their recording studio to listen to their work in progress. By all accounts, it was a once-in-a-lifetime occasion :cool:

Octopulse
05-19-2004, 04:31 AM
best show?

Pink Floyd, June 1996, Carrier Dome Syracuse NY

Fixxation
05-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Octo,

It probaly was!

Fixxation

lindalp
08-22-2004, 10:53 AM
I could probably say Pink Floyd for the last two album tours. Best musically and visually speaking.

Could say the two Fixx shows that I got to go to just because I was afraid I'd never see them in concert before they ceased to exist.

Could say the INXS show I saw when they toured for the X album.

I will say it would have to be the INXS show I saw when they toured for Full Moons Dirty Hearts as this was the last time I was to see them when Michael was still around. Had I known he was gonna call it quits on life, I would have gone to their last show for the last album they did. Hind sight sucks.

I say this is my favorite for this reason: The venue was sort of large but attendance was small and most everyone crowded down to the floor in front of the staqe. The friend that I was with dragged me out into the crowd, and we managed to get pretty close, close enough to be able to see Michael's eyes as he performed. I hate crowds, but I was glad to have had that opportunity to see the band closer. That's my favorite concert experience.

SilentGeoff
08-22-2004, 01:46 PM
but each time I see The Fixx in concert the show gets better.

For pure energy of performance it is impossible to compare anyone to The Ramones. I was fortunate to have caught them 3 times in concert [On the Brain Drain, Acid Eaters and the Goodbye tours] and I have never been so pumped up during a show or at any other time than when I saw them. And when I was younger I used to do some energy enhancement activities in pill form till nowhere close to that energy.

That being said I'd have to say it'd be a close tie between front row center for opening night of the Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels" tour in Philadelphia's now demolished Veteran's Stadium, August of '86 [I believe, years escape me at times]. Opening act was the up and coming Living Colour. Both groups kicked ***. From start to finish an incredible show.

That is only slightly topped by, front row center once again, October 1980, Binghamton, NY's Broome County Arena the "Black & Blue Tour" Black Sabbath [fronted at the time by Ronnie James Dio] & Blue Oyster Cult. Talk about a wild first ever concert. My uncle took me [Thanks for that alone you'll always be my favorite uncle] and I gotta say even without Ozzy and Bill Ward, Sabbath was just amazing to see. Blue Oyster Cult was even better than Sabbath they were truly one of those bands that people talk about being better live than studio.

Geoff

mctalg
08-24-2004, 12:34 AM
A few thoughts here...

1) Someone mentioned the Waterboys. Well, I love their tune "The Whole of the Moon." I think that it is without a doubt one of the greatest unknown (by the mainstream public) classics from the 80's.

2) Favorite Concerts...The Fixx at Hobart, IN in 2002 was incredible. Being up close, and personal was a dream come true. For a smaller show...this would be it. If you want to read an interesting decriptive post on this show, try pulling up "Hobart Indiana" on a search at this site. I wrote quite bit, in order to share with others my great experience, but also to help preserve for myself, my memory of the day.

However, for a large concert, I did see a legendary weekend of concerts at Comiskey Park, in July of 1983. On Saturday Ministry (pre-industrial rock days) opened for the Fixx, who opened for A Flock of Seagulls, who opened for Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, who opened for The Police on their Synchronicity Tour. The show was great, but almost too big. We had seats way way back, and we learned our lesson.

The next night, on Sunday, we returned to see Simon and Garfunkel. Our seats were worse then the day before. As a result, my friend and I slipped onto the field, and moved ourselves within 20 yards of the stage. It turned out to be a great decision. The concert was the most magical memorable show that I have ever seen. As high school students, we were in the middle of this middle age throng of people, under the stars, for just the best show I could have imagined. It was awesome, and I never would have guessed that it would have bested the Saturday blockbuster concerts, but it did!

Looking back on that whole weekend, it has been interesting to see the transformation of Ministry. Back then (July 1983) they were this new wave type band riding the coat tails on some exposure of their "With Sympathy" album (a pretty good album too) on MTV. Later on, in 1984, I recommended to the Boys Club at my high school that we book Ministry for our homecoming dance, and we got 'em. This was when "Everyday is Halloween" was new. Then they later remerged as a founding father in the "Pre Industrial" Rock movement. Talk about a change in direction. Wow! Either way, all around strong music.

At one point on a Rockline question, during the Walkabout tour, Cy referred to that Comiskey Park show as his favorite gig thus far. I thought that was pretty cool!

-Mctalg

deBASHmode
08-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Added a candidate for best show just this Tuesday. Modern string quartet Ethel opened, followed by a one-hour solo set by Joe Jackson, and a similar solo set by Todd Rundgren, capped by two tunes by all the artists at the end. A perfect summer evening in the open-air Delacorte Theater in Central Park, NY. UNbelievable stuff - perfect setting, great music and a mind-blowing encore. The top highlight in a highlight-filled first time to New York for me.

I've now seen The Fixx three times, and all three shows would be right up near the top of my list of great concert experiences, especially Santa Cruz. I like that I can expect excellent shows from the guys and not be let down.

deBASHmode
08-26-2004, 01:36 PM
oops! Double post!

Clive3
08-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Well im going to have to add the recent Beach Boardwalk Fixx concert to my best concert list due to the fact that it just plain out rocked :D

Clive

Wilkie UK
08-27-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by deBASHmode
Added a candidate for best show just this Tuesday. Modern string quartet Ethel opened, followed by a one-hour solo set by Joe Jackson, and a similar solo set by Todd Rundgren, capped by two tunes by all the artists at the end. A perfect summer evening in the open-air Delacorte Theater in Central Park, NY. UNbelievable stuff - perfect setting, great music and a mind-blowing encore. The top highlight in a highlight-filled first time to New York for me.

I've now seen The Fixx three times, and all three shows would be right up near the top of my list of great concert experiences, especially Santa Cruz. I like that I can expect excellent shows from the guys and not be let down.
Hey Bash, what was Todd's setlist like? Any curveballs in there?:D

deBASHmode
08-27-2004, 07:45 AM
Hey, Wilkie - well, I've never heard him do Black and White on acoustic before, but in general, it's the same setlist he does when he's solo - which of course means you probably haven't seen it since he doesn't seem to tour the UK solo... :(

Here's a review with setlist:

review of central park tr set (http://trconnection.com/todd/review/t2004/20040824-mr.rev)

Wilkie UK
08-27-2004, 09:49 AM
That looks like a fan's setlist. I'm not familiar with 'Black And White', I'm still hooked on 'Liars' :cool:
I thought Todd didn't play 'Bang On The Drum' much? There is a live version on 'One Long Year', in a Hawaiian-style. I kinda got the impression that this song was too commercial for him? :confused:

deBASHmode
08-27-2004, 10:40 AM
He always does it hawaiian style now, because it's goofy that way, and he likes to be goofy whenever possible! He never does the song the normal way anymore...

Black and White is a rocker from Todd's Faithful LP - read about it here:
x
http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=70868

pippi617
08-28-2004, 03:30 PM
Best concert - that is hard to say - of course, THE FIXX

But, also, Oingo Boingo - they put on quite a show and their energy seems endless. Saw them in San Diego several years ago - sat next to Danny Elfman's parents. They were quite entertaining, proud parents - his mom danced as much as the rest of the fans!!

Pippi

pippi617
08-28-2004, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mctalg
[However, for a large concert, I did see a legendary weekend of concerts at Comiskey Park, in July of 1983. On Saturday Ministry (pre-industrial rock days) opened for the Fixx, who opened for A Flock of Seagulls, who opened for Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, who opened for The Police on their Synchronicity Tour. The show was great, but almost too big. We had seats way way back, and we learned our lesson.

At one point on a Rockline question, during the Walkabout tour, Cy referred to that Comiskey Park show as his favorite gig thus far. I thought that was pretty cool!

I also was at the concert in Cominsky Park (1983) It was a GREAT show!! It was huge though - we were way back too. It was the opening night of the Police' Synchronicity Tour in North America. Awesome show - now our age is showing.

Pippi :cool::D

Jeanne Thelen
08-28-2004, 03:40 PM
you all will probably jump all over me ... but I have deep country roots that goes hand in hand with my "rock" side ... Garth Brooks was one of the best shows I ever saw ..problaby due to the space I was in the last time I saw him .. very memorable... The Fixx of course .. last time I saw them(and meet them) was in October of 1984... but it was an awesome show .. for a variety of reasons...very memorable ... Unforgettable .. really...:)

Rain
08-29-2004, 01:43 PM
I'd have to say, hands down, the "best" concert I ever went to was the Amnesty International concert when it stopped here in Atlanta in 1986. So many good artists on one stage in one night... Joan Baez, the Neville Brothers, Bryan Adams, Peter Gabriel, a reformed-just-for-the-event of the newly broken up Police, and U2. It was totally awesome and we had floor seats, maybe a dozen rows back. I'll never forget it.

Having said that, though, it's awful hard to beat your first concert, which for me was Daryl Hall & John Oates on their H2O tour in 1983. Magical memories. I also have to add that I have a special place in my heart for the only INXS show I got to see, on the Listen Like Thieves tour... just getting to hear "Original Sin" played live was priceless, and I can die happy now!

pipsqueak
08-30-2004, 08:33 AM
For me .. 0f course... it was The Fixx at the House of Blues in April of 2002.

Other than that, seeing Nina at the metro in Chi Town was way Flippen X-O-luntay!

http://www.nina-hagen.com/img/open/top.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/~tiere/pics/7046.jpg http://www.geocities.com/~tiere/pics/7055.jpg http://www.geocities.com/~tiere/pics/7028b.jpg http://www.geocities.com/~tiere/pics/7044.jpg

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

L0VE that Girl !

mctalg
09-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Pippi...thanks for sharing about the1983 Police show at Comiskey Park. I didn't remember that it was the kickoff for their Synchronicity Tour. Very cool! Thanks for sharing. A few years ago I tossed my concert shirt that I had from the show, though it was ragged, now I wish I had kept it.

pippi617
09-01-2004, 10:45 AM
mctalg

Glad you enjoyed! I still have my tshirt packed in a box of "classic clothes" somewhere.

Pippi:rolleyes:

dejapete
09-02-2004, 09:15 PM
This could be a new thread, but hey, there are too many out there.

If there were a could have been...should have been concert, I would have seen Arlo Guthrie when he did Alice's Restaurant the previous year.

The other would have been Marty Stuart when he played the Trempealeau Hotel. He's a good picker and usually doesn't play small venues.

Thank you all for the response to this thread.

dejapete
10-17-2004, 02:48 PM
I forgot to mention that I could have seen Dizzy Gillespie at The Joynt in Eau Claire, WI back in 1979. It's a small bar with an intimate setting that charged very low ticket prices. For some stupid reason, I didn't go. He was a jazz legend.

Anyone want to share with us a legendary concert they did get to see?