PDA

View Full Version : Due respect on the way?

Orobas
03-27-2001, 11:05 AM
I used to think the Grammys were all about who sold the most reords and little about art. Then I saw Steely Dan win best album and I found a new respect for the industry. Since they're no longer looking at only the newest sensations and artists 20 years old, perhaps The Fixx will be recognized with the new album. I personally thought they deserved a Grammy for Elemental. I would love to see the industry give them some long overdue respect.

------------------
"All these minds that think alike do damage to the strain."

miked26
03-27-2001, 03:27 PM
Highly unlikely Orabas but I totally agree. Seeing Steely Dan win shows hope for those musicians who don't sing about dating and boyfriends and girlfriends, like the Backside Boys and Britany Boobsphere. I felt almost the same the year before when Santana won his awards. Hopefully one day this bubble gum music will die out and "real" musicians will emerge once again. You know, those "real" musicians who actually write there own songs and perform with real musical instruments.

mollify
04-05-2001, 04:04 PM
Performing with real instruments...yes, that would be nice.
I actually would prefer that The Fixx not be recognized that way. It makes their following more genuine and their art more genuine.
It's sort of like the Rush syndrome. They have tons of respect and fans, but don't have nearly the air play that some of the formula pop music has. It's just really nice when you can be true to your art as well as commercially successful.
I don't pay much attention to the industry awards. They gave Jethro Tull an award for hard rock or heavy metal retroactively. It was all very silly. They aren't even a hard rock band. It was just so contrived.

Beagle
04-06-2001, 07:44 AM
Actually, Grammy awards are the kiss of death. Toto, Kim Carnes, Christopher Cross and a few others all disappeared after winning big.

nwdve
04-07-2001, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't count on any grammies anytime soon for the Fixx. Don't get me wrong, I have thought on many occasions that they deserved it. When Shutterd Room came out it totally stood out from all the crap that was prevalent at the time. I find it incredible that it wasn't nominated for Best Rock Albumn.
Of course the real test of musical greatness is time. In this matter the Fixx wins hands down. I have never tired of "Shuttered Room" or Reach the Beach" yet!