PDA

View Full Version : The Irony of "The Strain"

itzWicks
06-07-2004, 09:44 PM
On first blush, I *loved* Shuttered Room's "The Strain."

It had a "Dr. Strangelove" kinda appeal to me, and it had killer melodies and bass.

And now, with the death of former President Ronald Reagan, I revisited the song, and realized how worried and scaried the guys in the band must have been when they recorded the song in the first place.

Not because they were afraid of public reaction, but because they were afraid that the crazy ol' California cowboy was going to do something to start WWIII. Let's be honest - a lot of people left of center thought that. Heck, even I had nightmares of nuclear war in the early 80's.

But history has recorded that President Reagan was the RIGHT man at the right place at the right time.

He put into place policies that got the inflation down from double digits to less than 7% (and it was still falling when he left office), reduced unemployment, rebuilt the American military, and hastened the demise of Soviet Union, ending the Cold War.

His critics hated him, but even they conceded that there was nothing bitter or partisan about the man. And Ronald Reagan's two election landslides showed that he had not only a mandate but the support of the American people.

If anything, the person who should have been feeling "the strain" was the last three Soviet leaders in power prior to the fall of the USSR. But back in the day, upsetting the guys in charge of Eastern Europe was thought to be a bad idea.

In retrospect, "The Strain" was misplaced as far as songs go. If it were possible, I'd go back in time and urged the band to rewrite the song to reflect a bad relationship, or sports or anything other than its original subject matter.

Still a great tune, mind you - just now dated and awkward. Kinda like the hot looking hookup on Saturday night, who looks like hell next to your side on early Sunday morning with smeared make up and/or morning breath.

pipsqueak
06-07-2004, 10:01 PM
I happen to find those unique fumes quite exhilarating!
Much like garlic.. it simulates my appetite.
I'm not an easy one to wake up.. and the smell of coffee makes me even more comfy and cozy.. till I drink it.

I'm going to miss Ole`Ronnie..
that's for sure...
like totally.
=..(

Steve Pariseau
06-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Wasn't it written about Carter after he had collapsed jogging or something like that?

I don't think that he should take the strain.

Octopulse
06-08-2004, 04:08 AM
from Steve....
Wasn't it written about Carter after he had collapsed jogging or something like that?

yes, The Strain reportedly was inspired by Carter having a collapse while jogging

Speaking of Reagan does anyone remember this infamous joke Reagan quipped on the radio back in '84?

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

dejapete
06-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Yup. I remember.

He was joking around during a microphone check, unawares that what he was saying was actually being broadcast over the radio.

preciousstone75
06-17-2004, 12:29 AM
Hey, Itz, we refer to those as coyote uglies! And even when you aren't hung over, there are moments when you think "what the-!" and scare yourself when you lay eyes on what crawled under (or out of!) the bedsheets with you! ROFLMFAO!

I was a kid when Reagan was in office, but I watched a lot of his films growing up and respected the guy. What I thougt was touching was when they showed footage from Clinton's inauguration when Ray Charles did the national anthem and he is embraced by Reagan at the end. Two legends. 'Nuff said.

Fixxation
06-17-2004, 12:31 AM
Hello All,

Ronnie's gone but his legend lives on. I have to say for once the Left leaning liberal media put their parisan bickering aside to give the Big Gipper a fond farewell. Thank you left wing media. I am proud to be an American.

God Bless You Mr. President and thank you for getting rid of Communism. These words will always echo in my head and they make my hair stand on end, "Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Goodbye Mr. President,

Fixxation

Char
06-18-2004, 08:30 AM
What a memory tht brings back! I remember like yesterday. My family lives in Hungary. It was so difficult and nerve-racking to visit them. We had to be so careful about what we said while over there during communism, even in someone's home,--and I tend to speak my mind. My grandmother kept telling me I need to not talk about such things as politics-spys were everywhere. My cousins can do what they wish now. They have a future and can look forward with hope. Before, there really wasn't any. I can't tell you how it is like night and day in such a short period of time. For that I will be grateful always to Ronald Reagan.