PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking the bus

dejapete
08-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Starting Monday, Iím taking the bus to work. Gas prices have gotten higher, and traffic in the city is more congested than ever. The Wisconsin DOT makes proposals, but the people of our community vote them down.

Meanwhile,

People drive too fast
People drive too slow

People donít signal
People run stop signs

There are people who are just too rude and stupid and clueless behind the wheel. I donít know what they are teaching in driverís education, but it isnít courtesy.

Iím sick of the guy who follows too closely, the guy who enters the Interstate going 40 mph; the guy who creeps to the stop light while Iím waiting to get into the right turn lane; the guy who keeps encroaching the center line because he is too drunk or blind or senile; the guy who doesnít signal a right turn while Iím waiting for him; the guy who races up to the next red light and holds up traffic because he doesnít understand that the lights are synched for the speed limit; the guy who turns on to the highway right in front of me even though Iím the only one else on the road. And the list could go on.

By taking the bus, Iíll be lowering my blood pressure, gas consumption, and wear on my car. It sounds crazy, but it makes sense.

Steve Pariseau
08-14-2004, 11:58 PM
I don't recommend you ever drive in LA.

Should add a couple more years to your life by bussing it. You know, less stress. Well, unless you get some isreali or palistinian suicide bomber on board.

deBASHmode
08-15-2004, 01:18 AM
Here in San Francisco, walking and public transit are really the only way to go. Transit here rocks - you can get anywhere on it.

Char
08-15-2004, 03:22 PM
If I could, I would take public transportation. I think it wil lower your blood pressure! I live in the foothills of the Rockies, so I don't have access close--I'd have to drive a half hour just to access a bus or light rail.
Bash, I'm looking forward to seeing San Francisco's public transportation. My brother is getting married in Sept. I gladly leave the driving to someone else. We'll be going all over the city, from rehersal dinners, to the wedding to the after party, airport, etc!
dejapete, it doesn't sound crazy, it sounds perfectly sane.

itizuki
08-15-2004, 05:32 PM
And you didn't even mention the cell phone users... all of those things you did mention can happen due to people not paying attention while they yak on the phone for no good reason... it is really annoying, just look around at all the drivers going down the road and notice how many are on cell phones...yes, the bus is a good idea.

dejapete
08-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Wow! Thanks for the encouraging response. I found out taking the bus will require about 10 miles of walking unless I take my bicycle. As soon as I pass a required training course and get a permit, I'm on my way. I'm really going through with it. Getting tailgated and cut off again today galvanized my resolve. Winter may be a problem, though. Funny, I've had less trouble driving in Chicago!

dejapete
05-02-2006, 08:22 PM
I noticed a guest was reading this. After two years, I still don't know what to do. I'm even considering letting my driver's license expire this year. Not wise, I know. But it's that frustrating.

I'm tired of being the defensive driver watching out for others that drive unaware (i.e. "WTHUTA).

dee
05-03-2006, 04:40 AM
hi to all you guys are gonna flip when you read this like everyone else does when they find out. i had my license years ago and gave it up! i got sick of driving with people around who don't know how to drive. my husband drives and i have a driver that takes me to work. which is not bad seeing as i live 5 minutes away from my office. dee:tup:

msmith1
05-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Yeah...rounding up T-shirts/breaking out the bicycle lycra capri pants and prepping my bicycle this weekend. Going to start bicycle commuting again 3--4 days a week, starting next Tuesday, May 9th.
It's not bad...done it before...a 15 mile roundtrip, only 2 big hills, mostly flat then. On a bicycle, out here, have found the motorbikes to be ruder and more dangerous to a bicyclist than the cars, it seems.
Mountain bike with helmet, due to Indiana roads--too many chuckholes, some gravel roads, makes for a rougher ride than a touring bike.

Kim:)

dejapete
05-03-2006, 07:24 AM
That sounds wonderful, Dee and Kim.

I work in another city. There isn't a decent bus route there. It's too far to walk, over 8 miles. And too far to ride a bike. I can't arrive at the office covered in sweat.

msmith1
05-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Deja, is it possible for you to carpool?
Or like they do in some cities, where you can park in a lot, and catch public transport into the city?

Kim:wave:

dejapete
05-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Can't park and ride.

Carpooling is a good idea. The parking lot is over-filled every day. Some people have to park in the street. I betcha every car there arrives with only one person in it.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll see about organizing something. It could be a good way to get to know people.

msmith1
05-03-2006, 09:00 PM
...lessen wear and tear on your cars by rotating the driving, and a good way to split that cost of gasoline!

Kim:tup:

STUART
05-04-2006, 02:03 AM
and my new career for which I've already started training is - A Driving Instructor..:help:
Things are a little different in the UK though, we drive on the proper side of the road......lol
Our petrol (gasoline) is a little more expensive than your prices, we pay about £1 (UK pound = US$2) a litre which at 5 litres making 1.1 gallons, puts our prices at around US$9 a gallon!!!
Our drivers can be just as bad tempered, ignorant and stooopid but that's the same the world over.

heimo
05-04-2006, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by STUART
Things are a little different in the UK though, we drive on the proper side of the road......lol

When I go to silverstone to see the formula one i always like to take the hoovercraft. Leaving it at dover I always drive on the wrong side and look straight in the eye of those heavy goods vehicle. The driver laughs cause he seems to be used to that situation ;)

Since I am working at a new office I can take the train to get to work. I love it: I have a cup of coffee and i am reading the newspapers. And most of the time i have a nice chat with another passenger.
Gasoline is f...... expensive in germany too. It's not that I could not afford it but i don't like to spend my money that way...

Doctor Roger
05-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Hi there !

1. Has there ever been an Israeli suicide bomber? (Steve?)
2. What is a "chuckhole" ? (msmith?)
3. Gas is $ 9.00 per gallon where?

Hard to imagine giving up the van, as I drive over 40,000 miles every year.
I even have one van (1994) that has over 422,000 miles on it. It's a Nissan.

Looking forward to seeing ya next month !

Dr. Roger

msmith1
05-04-2006, 06:23 AM
LOL! Doctor!
Are you teasing?
Some would say a "pothole"...a hole in the road from the pavement failing/disintegrating...where the pavement has been "chucked" out. I've also heard them called "tire-eaters"--and really big ones "chucktrenches".
Probably not many in California, not having a seasonal thaw/freeze cycle which contributes to it. Plus they tend to use really cheap, crummy materials out this way for making roads....state government taking the lowest bid on those projects. The secondary roads (the ones that aren't gravel) in many of the small Towns around here are more like patched over and re-patched over "chuckholes", than real road...very lumpy, tests your shocks, plus guess it keeps speeding down...LOL!

Kim:wave:

Steve Pariseau
05-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Roger
...1. Has there ever been an Israeli suicide bomber? (Steve?)

I don't know Roger but I do know that Major League Baseball should be drafting a lot of Palastinians. Those guys are really good at throwing rocks and hitting their targets. They'd make great pitchers :D

rockerchic
05-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Yeah - I have not used my car in weeks - (partially do to postpartum restrictions) but after those were cleared, I refuse to waste precious money on the fuel! My hubby decided to do a lot more walking to places when he is on breaks or lunch instead of driving. It really is sad that when the nice weather comes so does an increase at the pumps!!!! We joined the local pool again so there will not be too many long trips to the shore. Unfortunately we have to get a bigger vehicle now since the family has grown so now the gas tank will be a little bigger but hopefully the prices of minivans drop as a result of gas prices being too high. Some places I heard are using a gas card incentive in the purchase of a new vehicle. We'll have to way out some options here.
One thing is for sure, we can all be a little healthier if we break out the bikes and walking shoes.:D

msmith1
05-04-2006, 10:52 AM
You may consider supporting Senator Lugar's bill and efforts to increase production of FFV's (flexible fuel vehicles). I'm supporting including methanol, not just ethanol, so there would be a wider variety of sources and modifications to draw from...and they can be combined, too. This would be competition for the monopoly of the gasoline industry, and could drop prices. The original bill wants the change over a 10 year span...but it could actually be done in 3, so why wait? The technology exists, and would only require a programming change to the fuel injector control chip and higher quality fuel components which only add about $100 more to the price of a new vehicle...and retro-fitting would have to come around, also. You can see an article "An Energy Revolution" by Robert Zurin in "The American Enterprise" magazine...online, at...
www.taemag.com/issues/articleID/18976/artcle_detail.asp

You can e-mail in support of Senator Lugar's FFV bill at:
senator_lugar@lugar.senate.gov

dejapete
05-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Kim's link doesn't work. Try this one:

An Energy Revolution (http://www.taemag.com/issues/articleID.18976/article_detail.asp)

msmith1
05-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks, Deja!

Whipping out the manual reel mower this week...requires no gasoline, and pretty much the only thing that can go wrong with it is "operator error"...LOL!

Beached Male
05-26-2006, 07:41 AM
America needs a national initiative to remove our dependence on oil. Much like going to the moon, we should commit resources to academia, corporations and government agencies to work together toward this single goal. It's the only way to effectively make this happen.

Secondly, I think electric cars are a great alternative, but there needs to be a push to develop battery tech so that the average range of an electric gets toward 250 miles. That is the normal range for a gas auto, and would make electrics more appealing. Recently built electric cars were only able to get about 40-60 miles range. The thing with electrics is that then the power is produced at the electric plant, whether it is Nuclear, Coal, Garbage burning, Solar, Wind, Hydro-electric, whatever- in the end everyone still has the same "fueling station", your plug at home or at work.

Just thoughts...

BM

Steve Pariseau
05-26-2006, 10:02 AM
I agree that an initiative to remove our dependance on oil is necessary. However, it will never happe with George W. Bush in office.

We may be paying George W. $400,000 per year to be President of the United States, but he literally makes $millions$ per year on his oil investments and ventures with other oil rich companies and nations. Who do you think he is going to hold allegianace to? The people paying him $400,000/year? Or the people generating millions of dollars for his pocket?

dee
05-27-2006, 11:08 AM
hi to all since i have been working full time i now lost my driver. she does not want to take me to work every day anymore so i have been walking to work on the days that it is not raining out . i need the exercise anyways and it only takes me twenty minutes to walk from my house to the office. i took a taxi on the bad days and it cost me 5.70 from my house which is probably around two miles away. not too bad but it would add up if i chose to take a taxi every day so i would rather walk and get the exercise and save the money for better things like fixx tix or cd's lol dee

xtctom
05-30-2006, 01:08 AM
I can agree, or at least understand what all of you are saying. I hate all the things that we see drivers doing out there, and the price of gas etc. However, I still actually feel safer in control of my own car then public transportation. When I go to somewhere (to a concert etc,) with friends, I almost always do the driving. I just feel that confident. I've been driving for 35 years now with a clean driving record, and haven't taken public transportation in close to 30 years, except for the subway in a major city which I do believe is the best way to get around there. Gas is about $2.93/gal here now. I have a Honda Accord, but I feel like I bought an SUV. I'm just trying to cut a littlle bit off my leisure driving to make up for the high prices, but I agree we need to become less dependent on foreign oil.

xtctom
05-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Chuckholes?

They call them "potholes" here in Buffalo. I guess I thought that was what they were called everywhere?

Rockfish
05-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Fortunately traffic isn't an issue where I live (as long as you know how to get around the beach traffic), but the gas prices are ridiculous everywhere. I hear on the news there are alternatives to gasoline such as corn ethanol to run our engines.....however it doesn't sound like anyone (our government) is trying too hard to stop our oil dependancies.

msmith1
05-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Yeah, the greed and lobbyists.
Some rural stations seem a bit cheaper...my brother is up from the rural outskirts of Greenville, SC. He says a station near him is $2.46 a gallon/ 87 octane. By me, a Flying J truckstop is running $2.67 a gallon/87 octane.
With the heavy rains dying down here, will be on the bicycle again soon.
Already reel mowing the yard.

Kim

pippi617
06-01-2006, 12:45 AM
i'm drivin' in my car..............

the new fixxmobile.

Steve Pariseau
06-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by pippi617
i'm drivin' in my car..............

the new fixxmobile.

No way Pippi!!

That is the same model and color that I bought in February.

Great minds...

pippi617
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Too funny! I think it's an EX? The one with a moon roof! Mine has a nice new window decal "theFIXX.com" across the rear window - does yours? I saw one and fell in love with it. They had to search high and low for that color - very high demand I hear. Civics in general seem to be in high demand right now. They had dozens of Accords everywhere and very very few Civics. At Corona they only had THREE Civics.(and they have a HUGE inventory) We can compare them very very soon!!!!!!!! This is my third Honda - I will miss my old FIXXmobile - but I am getting over it very quickly.

p.s. thanks for the phone pics!!

:cheers:

dejapete
06-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Is it a hybrid?

pippi617
06-03-2006, 03:52 AM
No.

Steve Pariseau
06-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by pippi617
...Mine has a nice new window decal "theFIXX.com" across the rear window - does yours? ...They had to search high and low for that color - very high demand I hear.

I don't have a thefixx.com decal. I would put it on if I had one. Since I DO have a 311 decal, that is what graces the top center of the rear window.

Mine is an EX also. I had to drive to San Luis Obispo to get the elusive color. Mine has NAV and I sprung for the fog lights (oh, they loook oh so cool).

dejapete
07-10-2006, 11:40 AM
It turns out my neighbor and I work at the same place. But, it looks like she doesn't want to share rides. Too bad. The nice dejapete understands that he luxury and freedom of driving alone to work is hard to give up. The mean dejapete sees that it's hard to negotiate with sheep.

I'll try riding a bicycle to work as much as possible. It's rather extreme, but what the heck. By going green, I feel like I'm contributing to the solution, not the problem.