PDA

View Full Version : John Cusack Poll

jim
09-07-2004, 07:10 AM
On a semi-Fixx related issue, just wondering what everyone's favorite John Cusack film is. I'm only polling films where John was one of the leads, not minor parts (like Sixteen Candles). John and Kevin Costner are my two favorite actors, and since he is only one degree of seperation from the Fixx (better off Dead) I just wondered what films of his stand out as his best work in your minds.

It's a tough call for me, since there are quite a few good ones. http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id=1800019276&cf=movies&intl=us

There may be a few stinkers on this list, but overall I have loved his work since The Sure Thing.

My vote goes to Better off Dead.

Fixxation
09-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Hello Jim,

I vote for Better Off Dead because Rupert and The Fixx are on the soundtrack.

It is not a bad movie either.

Fixxation

Clive3
09-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Ive only seen 2 of his movies so it was a tuffy.....

SilentGeoff
09-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Grosse Point Blank. I think I have yet to see a real clinker from Mr. Cusack but of what is here on this list GPB is my favorite. Overall though it would be a tie between GPB, Money For Nothing, The Grifters and Tapeheads.

Geoff

Jeanne Thelen
09-07-2004, 03:17 PM
I would have to vote for Say Anthing... mostly for a "girlie reason" He reminded me of my college boyfriend... :) ..

Jeanne Thelen
09-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Hey .. What about "THE SURE THING" ?.... An 80's classic

Steve Pariseau
09-07-2004, 07:38 PM
There's two of those that I'm about to see in the very near NetFlix future. So I'll hold off until I've seen GPB and Runaway Jury.

magical
09-09-2004, 08:17 PM
This was a tough one! Don't forget that he did star in 16 Candles as well. Not a big part but he was in it.

pipsqueak
09-09-2004, 08:38 PM
I can't say.. I was always told my Brother looks like him...
Really made slumber party time a MEGA drag when my bestest friends would rather spend the night discussing who he looks more like, John or Scott Baio, how totally Gross!

But in the spirit of this thread I'll have to go with Class.. seeings how at least he's in it.
Or Being John Malkovic.

:)

xxif
09-10-2004, 01:20 PM
John Cusack is definitely one of my favourite actors. He's been in several of the best films I've ever seen,but I feel the single best one was undoubtedly:"Being John Malkovich". That film was absolutely brilliant,and wonderfully off-beat. Charlie Kaufman's insanely ingenious screenplay and Spike Jonze's maverick directing really put this one in the upper stratosphere's of cinematic masterpieces. And lest we forget Cusack's stellar performance which was a bit of a gamble on his commendable part(pardon the pun) seeing as it was one on John's least "likeable" characters;one who descended pitifully because he didn't attain his romantic ideals artistically,nor could he earn his keep in affairs-of-the-heart. As is wont of tragedy,the laughs are abundant throughout the movie also. Charlie Sheen's cameo is classic.

Well,because "BJM" was flagrantly overlooked,I opted to vote for "High Fidelity";another Cusack classic. Yet another memorable Cusack film neglected was Woody Allen's excellent 1994 comedy:"Bullets Over Broadway". John was his typical superb self in that gem as well,playing a struggling playwrite in the 1930's,I believe. I highly recommend this film to any one who hasn't seen it.

And lastly,there's also 98's:"Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil". This Clint Eastwood directed movie was set and filmed in sublime Savannah,Georgia.I was enraptured by the town's southern beauty and it's colourful and eccentric denizens portrayed by a wonderful cast. John was great again,albeit, a little on automatic pilot for this one,perhaps. I still recommend it however,with enthusiasm and vigor.

More recently, John was seen in one of the best thrillers this side of the millennium:"Identity". Check it out if you haven't already.

xxif

skip63
09-11-2004, 01:30 AM
I love the scene where he jumps off the bridge and lands in the garbage truck.

xxif
09-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by skip63
I love the scene where he jumps off the bridge and lands in the garbage truck.

"What a shame...throwin' away a perfectly good white boy!"

Yeah,that was a great scene from a great early Cusack movie;one of my favourite comedies from the 80's actually.

skip63
09-11-2004, 06:03 PM
:D

The Optimist
09-12-2004, 03:36 AM
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!

xxif
09-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by The Optimist
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!

Would you accept two "Canadian loonies" instead? Payday's not until Friday.
:D

Rain
09-13-2004, 10:26 AM
There are several in that list I haven't seen, but I voted for GPB, it was great. Though I'd have to say I think I liked Identity better. Of course my opinion could change once I see some of those I haven't... it's funny I cam across this thread, though... I just watched Serendipity for the first time last night!

KITTYkls70
09-13-2004, 10:07 PM
No one has mentioned One Crazy Summer yet... probably because it's not that great of a movie. I do love John Cusack - a Chicago boy, it's great when they show him at the Cubs games - but also in this movie is Bobcat Goldthwait... he just appeals to my inner idiot and cracks me up.

preciousstone75
09-14-2004, 12:52 PM
what about One Crazy Summer????? and Sixteen Candles????

preciousstone75
09-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by xxif

Well,because "BJM" was flagrantly overlooked,I opted to vote for "High Fidelity";another Cusack classic. Yet another memorable Cusack film neglected was Woody Allen's excellent 1994 comedy:"Bullets Over Broadway". John was his typical superb self in that gem as well,playing a struggling playwrite in th

And lastly,there's also 98's:"Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil". This Clint Eastwood directed movie was set and filmed in sublime Savannah,Georgia.I was enraptured by the town's southern beauty and it's colourful and eccentric denizens portrayed by a wonderful cast. John was great again,albeit, a little on automatic pilot for this one,perhaps. I still recommend it however,with enthusiasm and vigor.

More recently, John was seen in one of the best thrillers this side of the millennium:"Identity". Check it out if you haven't already.

xxif

have you seen "The Road to Wellville"????????

OMG!!!!!!!!! Hilarious! MITGOG&E is arguably one of the best films ever, because it just rocked from start to finish. . . and it just blew me back. I find something awesome about it every time I watch it!

xxif
09-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by preciousstone75
have you seen "The Road to Wellville"????????

OMG!!!!!!!!! Hilarious! MITGOG&E is arguably one of the best films ever, because it just rocked from start to finish. . . and it just blew me back. I find something awesome about it every time I watch it!

I have seen "The Road To Wellville". It's been awhile but I remember not liking it very much,which was unfortunate because it had a great cast. Anthony Hopkins was,admittedly,a hoot as "Kellog" himself,but I just felt this one was a little too bogged down by a self-conscious attempt to be quirky,ultimately coming up empty in the end,I'm afraid.

However,I couldn't agree more with you about MITGOG&E. My unbridled love for this most charming of movies grows with each viewing(Kevin Spacey,particularly,is an absolute delight);and because of it,I see a trip to Savannah as a pilgrimage waiting to happen. It oozes with romantic and poetic and lush beauty;it's a prodigiously green paradise manifest.

xxif

Steve Pariseau
08-28-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
There's two of those that I'm about to see in the very near NetFlix future. So I'll hold off until I've seen GPB and Runaway Jury.

My, how innacurate that statement was. A year later and have still not seen Gross Point Blank or Runaway Jury. I kept moving other things up in my Netflix queue.

Anyhow, I did scope out High Fidelity tonight. I must say that I'm not that much of a John Cusack (or Joan for that matter) fan. There's something about that blank "Haley Joel Osmet" look John has that annoys me but I still enjoyed the movie. Man, if you do check out High Fidelity on DVD DO NOT miss the deleted scenes! There are several really good scenes that were cut for whatever reason, one of which will have you laughing your *** off when he tries to put into perspective where his sister calls him an ******* . Oh, man, it IS funny. Couple other good ones too, one with Jack Black making Stones refereces and another where you actually see John buying a collection of records to add to his inventory at the store. Remember when he gets a phone call and takes down an address? You never see that go any further unless you scope out the deleted scenes. Nice little Sex Pistols tribute in that scene.

Fluxus
08-28-2005, 12:20 PM
well...let's see...

...if I go with what resonates with me...I'd say High Fidelity is up at the top and then Being John Malcovich as a broad stroke favorite tied with Gross Pointe Blank. I've probably seen Say Anything 100 times... eeegad. (I'm sure the list has changed in priotity ranking with age, such is life, eh?) A fan I am.

Money for Nothing, City Hall, The Jack Bull, True Colors & Grifters all featured his Cusakness as well... but I wouldn't have stuck them in the list for voting either. So, now I'll actually vote. ;)

preciousstone75
08-29-2005, 08:00 AM
Even now, I still have this schoolgirl crush on him. . . oh, Mr. Cusack. . . if you're still in Chicago, I'm 60 miles south of ya!

:p

Jeanne Thelen
08-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Hey ... a girl loves a guy that can make her laugh ... And I have been laughing at John since The Sure Thing.....

I'm with Prec... and I am dying to see his new movie with Diane Lane....... Must love Dogs

Fluxus
08-29-2005, 11:43 AM
[i]
I'm with Prec... and I am dying to see his new movie with Diane Lane....... Must love Dogs [/B]

I almost forgot that movie was coming out (or is it out??? I'm so behind)... Yay! More John Cusack...and the more the better, right???

preciousstone75
08-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Fluxus
I almost forgot that movie was coming out (or is it out??? I'm so behind)... Yay! More John Cusack...and the more the better, right???

it's out already!!!! I heard it's good!!! and he just gets more handsome with age!!!! ;) ;)

Fluxus
08-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by preciousstone75
it's out already!!!! I heard it's good!!! and he just gets more handsome with age!!!! ;) ;)

some men truly ARE like fine wine...better and better with age.

Jeanne Thelen
08-30-2005, 09:30 AM
I agree.... Totally....:) :) No names mentioned....:) ;)

Steve Pariseau
08-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Hey! Quit talking about me:D

fiona983
08-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
Hey! Quit talking about me:D

I've heard about YOU, Steve!!!!!

:) ;)

Steve Pariseau
08-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Uh oh :rolleyes:

If it was bad they are lying :D

Jeanne Thelen
08-30-2005, 05:34 PM
DON'T look at me... :) ;) :D

:rolleyes:

Now Steve,, You know EVERYTHING we say about you is nice!!! :)

msmith1
08-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Now Steve,
We've seen your picture... you're a sweetie-pie! ;) Kim

Steve Pariseau
08-30-2005, 07:42 PM
blushing :o

MdmVerruca
08-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Hey I Like your list.... But, ya forgot The Grifters... Thats one of my favs.

The Flow
08-31-2005, 12:19 AM
No "Sure Thing" either.. so I go with High Fidelity although I enjoyed the book a little more than the movie.

SilentGeoff
09-08-2005, 11:33 AM
If you are a Cusack fan you have to check out the movie "Max"....it was, for me, one of those movies that once I started watching it....it completely held my attention. Here's a review from Amazon.com.....

"The dark connections between art, desire, and evil fuel Max, an alternate-history fantasy that imagines what might have happened if a Jewish art dealer named Max Rothman (John Cusack, High Fidelity) had befriended Adolf Hitler (Noah Taylor, Shine) when he was a frustrated artist, before he turned to politics to vent his hatred. Some critics have expressed fear that even to attempt to make Hitler understandable is to diffuse or dismiss his malignancy; but watching Hitler vacillate between Rothman's attempts at mentorship and the encouragement of an ambitious military officer demonstrates the pettiness, desperation, and craven need that can bring horror into the world. Cusack portrays a generous man with simple decency and not a trace of grandstanding, but Taylor--with glittering eyes and lips twisted with bile--is both fascinating and repellent in an impressive performance. An intelligent and complex film, Max deserves to find an audience. --Bret Fetzer"

Steve Pariseau
09-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Ok, I finally got done watching all the John Cusack movies on this poll (except for Say Anything) isn't that a chick flick?.

I definately liked High Fidelity the best. With all the music references and Jack Black to boot it was my fave.

Runaway Jury was pretty well done and with an all star cast it would have to be my second fave Cusak flique.

That was fun.

So who's gonna start another poll for an actor's movies?

dejapete
10-02-2005, 07:46 PM
After reading Steve's post, I had to see High Fidelity. You gotta like John Cusack. He can be so cool, yet average, even pathetic, which makes him likeable.

It's a different kind of movie. But I liked it. Who would call up every girlfriend he's had since Junior High?

Memorable quotes:

"Is that Peter ****ing Frampton?"

"Should I bolt every time I get that feeling in my gut when I meet someone new? Well, I've been listening to my gut since I was 14 years old, and frankly speaking, I've come to the conclusion that my guts have **** for brains.

Edit:

From Steve:

Remember when he gets a phone call and takes down an address? You never see that go any further unless you scope out the deleted scenes. Nice little Sex Pistols tribute in that scene.

Ah. yes. I caught that too. The actress was Beverly D'Angelo, who didn't make it into the movie.

Steve Pariseau
10-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Glad you liked it Deja.

Yeah, those deleted scenes are the best I've seen. Usually deleted scenes were rightly so "deleted", but the High Fidelity ones were actually pretty good and should be IN - maybe a "Director's Cut" is in order.

dejapete
10-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Are you to assume Joan Cusack plays John Cusack's character's sister in the movie? Somehow, I missed that.

Steve Pariseau
10-02-2005, 10:27 PM
They didn't really give us a reason to believe otherwise. She may have been just an employee. They don't really say.

dejapete
10-03-2005, 07:17 AM
I guess it would help to read the book. You know, those things you find on shelves with a lot of printed pages. It's too easy to just see the movie version.

Steve Pariseau
10-01-2006, 03:57 PM
I've just added Identity to the poll.

Just watched it last night. It was a good flick and I recommend it. Although my vote still stands with High Fidelity.

fixxfanatic
10-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Sorry.....my favorite movie that Cusak was in (although not a lead role) was Sixteen Candles.

"Ted, thats the PROM QUEEN. You got two girls in one night."

"Wait, black and white. It would capture the moment so nicely."

He's such a geek!

The Queen
10-03-2006, 10:23 AM
I love that movie! Sixteen Candles is priceless.

preciousstone75
10-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Con Air (yeah he was in that one! Remember the car?)

The Road to Wellville

Oops! Just saw Con Air made the listing. . .:D

tenohtwo
10-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I voted for Better Off Dead. Classic 80's comedy with lots of funny quotes and a great soundtrack. I'd rank 'em this way:

Best:
Better Off Dead
Say Anything
The Sure Thing
Gross Pointe Blank
Hot Pursuit
High Fidelity
Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil

Decent/Good:
The Grifters
Being John Malkovich
The Road To Wellville (mainly thanks to Bridget Fonda's breasts)

Worst:
Serendipity..HANDS DOWN
Must Love Dogs - I seem to remember John talking about how this movie was essentially just a paycheck..I believe it
Money For Nothing
Tapeheads
One Crazy Summer (and STOP calling it the "sequel" to Better Off Dead!)

Haven't seen/only seen parts of the others not listed

I personally don't count 16 Candles as a Cusack flick.

Steve Pariseau
10-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Just curious Jim, where do you rank Identity? I thoguht it was pretty darned good for a Cusack role.

tenohtwo
10-09-2006, 03:23 PM
That's one that I missed. I remember it being on HBO not too long ago, but it somehow slipped by me. Sounds like a near-future Netflix for me.

I'll get back to you on that one, Steve!