PDA

View Full Version : 2004 U.S. Presidential Straw Vote

dejapete
10-07-2004, 04:19 PM
This would make an interesting poll. To see how the members would tally.

Others seemed to agree that this would be interesting. Please cast your vote for a U.S. Presidential candidate, even if you can't vote the real election. Let's see how Fixx fans would vote.

And don't forget to get out and vote November 2!

preciousstone75
10-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the reminder! Will report after work! :D

Jeanne Thelen
10-08-2004, 11:42 AM
It is down to crunch time... what if you are undecided???? As I am .. being a Gemini ...I always see both side and constantly argue with my twin ... HA!HA!...just joking ... :) (BIG SMILE) ... But truely, at this point, I am still undecided... so you should throw that in the poll as well... :) Jeanne......

Clive3
10-10-2004, 10:00 PM
If i could vote...

dejapete
10-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Maybe this will help people decide...

How much do you care about the environment? Bush will be appointing new judges to the Supreme Court. I heard that he could possibly appoint judges who will roll back decades of environmental legislation.

On a side note. Kerry really isn't going to threaten ownership of hunting weapons, unless someone is going to shoot Bambi with an assault rifle. And if you do go hunting, wouldn't like to be around clean air and water?

Jeanne Thelen
10-15-2004, 07:39 PM
OH sure Dejepete..confuse me even more ... especially since you brought up two things that go straight to my heart... animals and the environment ...:) Jeanne

dejapete
10-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Sorry Jeanne. I don't think undecided should be an option. There is no perfect candidate. Everyone, please vote.

And please don't vote for the best soundbite, and don't believe the political advertisements. Think about what direction you want our country to take and world to take for that matter, then decide which party is closer to your view.

R-we-R-selves
10-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Sheesh..the "undecided" people are messing up THIS poll (making JK and GWB almost tied) just like all the other polls out there!

Jeanne Thelen
10-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Now don't go balming me!!! :) I still have a few days to decide!!!

xtctom
10-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Animals? Environment?...that would probably be Kerry.

I prefer to keep my political views private, but I will say I have voted both Republican & Democrat in previous elections. I have also been undecided, and there was one where I didn't vote at all because I did not like either candidate (unlikely that I would ever choose to do that again though). Noone should pressure you into voting one way or the other. Just try to learn as much as you can about what each candidate/party stands for, and make your choice. As for myself, I've never been more
clear on who I'm going to vote for this November. Just ask yourself: "Are You Satisfied?"

Cygnet
10-24-2004, 10:24 PM
So here's my apology:

you give me a menu
but nothing here is edible
you lie to us about a better world...
you hand us a ballot
but no one here's believable
I guess you think you've fooled us all again.
you say we're free
you say we're proud
but I'm not proud of you
and I'm not proud of me
and as for free
we're not free to choose
when right is not an option
we can only lose
so here we are
snug and safe wrapped in our chains
one big majority whose crime
was trusting others with the reins
safe in our chains
safe in our chains
if we're to ever right the wrongs
what's to be done
what's to be done ?
open our eyes and realize
the war is not yet lost or won
you eat an elephant (or great big donkey)
one bite at a time
...unless you're a REALLY, REALLY BIG boa constrictor and that's also assuming that you EAT elephants at all, but ...oops! I'm no longer rhyming ...or making sense...
well... rather than lose hope, lets suppose that the winning team (you and I) has just begun to play!
"We live in a beautiful world...yes we do, yes we do..."
...so "do what you can!"

(no answers here, sorry!) ((but at least I voted))

Cygnet
10-25-2004, 07:28 PM
I feel really bad that no one's posted here since me last night. I'm afraid I cankered this great idea for a poll with my less-than-optimistic attitude...or maybe my attitude was just too long... or...? come on... VOTE!
(I voted for Bush)

Alannah86
10-26-2004, 02:29 AM
Rather curious but has Kerry mentioned the Kyoto protocol? Just wonder if the U.S will ever have a president that understands the seriousness of global warming and pollution to our planet and gets the U.S to sign up to it.

I already know that idiot Bush doesn't give a toss about enviromental problems in our world (sorry if I offend anyone, cannot stand that man, he is an complete idiot)

SilentGeoff
10-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Funniest campaign billboard I have seen has to be the one I post here....

Geoff

Cygnet
10-26-2004, 10:11 AM
I'll admit my ignorance...what's the Kyoto protocol?

(and I'll take no offence about your Bush comment. I'm not completely convinced of who I'll finally vote for. ) I worry that it's a ruse for us to believe that it really makes a difference WHO we vote for, realizing that campaigns are always convoluted with "Best Wishes" and lies. Sometimes I think they just put us through the voting process so we can blame ourselves for the corruption that ensues. Still, with all the corruption, there sure is a lot of good that comes out of America.
I heard a good one this weekend: "I decided to count my blessings and sure enough, I was missing a few." I'm ashamed I've been of that attitude lately.
...time to go listen to Camphor again!

Oh, and Geoff, I can't believe that billboard!!!

Alannah86
10-26-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Cygnet
I'll admit my ignorance...what's the Kyoto protocol?

(and I'll take no offence about your Bush comment. I'm not completely convinced of who I'll finally vote for.

Hi Cygnet, thanks for not taking offence to my comment, it's just my own personal opinion but I always worry I'll aggravate someone and that would never be my intention on any of my posts.

Regarding the Kyoto protocol, here's a small quote taken from the BBC, which can explain it a lot better than I could!

"The Kyoto Protocol is an international agreement setting targets for industrialised countries to cut their greenhouse gas emissions.
These gases are considered at least partly responsible for global warming - the rise in global temperature which may have catastrophic consequences for life on Earth.
The protocol was established in 1997, based on principles set out in a framework agreement signed in 1992"

If anyone is interested in reading more, here's a link to the WWF
(no, not the wrestling federation! LOL!)

http://www.wwf.org.uk/news/n_0000000268.asp

Cygnet
10-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Thank you. I checked out the article.

Jeanne Thelen
10-27-2004, 06:59 PM
geoff, You are too much !! I died laughing!! I am narrowing it down and I am 97 % sure who I am voting for! But Like I said to a friend.. this is the first time I have ever hit the polls with my heart stricken in fear!!! I hate the fact that in this election I have not had a clear canadite!! I see both sides, but i have to tend to agree with several members of this board as I ask myself " am I satisfied???" ANd the issues that are near and dear to my heart are definately heading towards one side!!!!

heimo
10-28-2004, 04:11 AM
Because some people say that they are undecided...

In germany we have a proverb concerning voting for our politicians and it goes like that:

You have to decide between plague and cholera.

I think we say that because you will never agree 100 procent with the line of one party.

dejapete
10-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Goeff.

I think that photo of the billboard was probably faked.

Then again...Could it be that all those Democratic campaign promises are too much to swallow?

SilentGeoff
10-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by dejapete
Goeff.

Then again...Could it be that all those Democratic campaign promises are too much to swallow?

In this day and age anything is possible Deja....I mean come on the Red Sox just won the World Series....There's something I didn't think I'd EVER see.

Geoff

Cygnet
10-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Goeff.

You're making me sick.

dejapete
10-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Sorry, Cygnet. I'm bad. I'll try to behave. :o

In every election there are a lot of promises. And there is a lot of populist speak. Even if a promise isn't empty, it still depends on which party ends up controlling Congress. That's why I usually vote a straight ticket.

SilentGeoff
10-29-2004, 03:43 PM
it predicts the current electoral vote based on polls taken in each state.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Check it out

Geoff

dejapete
10-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Good Website, Goeff.

Good thing to watch.

Personally, I don't believe in polls, and I won't participate in polls. (Oops, except this one. It's just for fun)

The polls don't decide. The voters decide. So get out and vote and make the difference!

(vote for Kerry, please)

Cygnet
10-31-2004, 04:38 PM
(just kidding)

Actually I've been really mad at the GOP this last week because they are trying to convict some talk show hosts here in CA (John and Ken at KFI) for using their freedom of speech/press to oust one of our congressmen. I guess when you stir things up, the grunge hits the surface and you find out what the pond was really made of!

So I'm voting for Kerry now. I'm sure he'll get California anyway but just in case they need that one extra vote...mine'll be there.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

miked26
10-31-2004, 11:56 PM
Hey everyone, I've been wanting to post but I've been working a lot. I also would like to encourage all Fixxtures to vote. It is your right as an American. Even if you want to vote for the other guy (Bush), at least you are expressing your constitutional rights as a citizen of this great country. I do want to add though to the discussion on the Kyoto Protocal. I believe someone mentioned if Kerry said anything about this. He did in the second (or third?) debate. He mentioned how over 150 nations were at this world meeting except for the U.S. I guess Bush doesn't feel global warming is such a big issue. It might interfere with his and Cheney's oil deals. After these past 4 years of great failed leadership of this country, how can anyone still want to vote for Bush for another 4 years? And Jeanne, feel confident on Nov. 2nd when you cast a vote for a new president who will work for a better environment, a better health care plan, a better economic plan, and a better plan for global unity. Someone to unite us not divide us. This will probably be the most important presidential election in our lifetime. So vote on Tuesday. And if you are still undecided, remember that Cy hates Bush so do it for him. HaHaHa
:D

Alannah86
11-01-2004, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by miked26
I do want to add though to the discussion on the Kyoto Protocal. I believe someone mentioned if Kerry said anything about this. He did in the second (or third?) debate. He mentioned how over 150 nations were at this world meeting except for the U.S.

Thanks for that Mike! It was me who had asked about the Kyoto Protocol. Glad to know Kerry has mentioned it, there is hope for our poor planet then...Hope he wins!

preciousstone75
11-01-2004, 08:04 AM
If you need a bit of encouragement, check this out:

MOSH

Eminem

They have been playing it ever since I saw it Thursday. . . one day they even rolled it for an hour straight!!!! I found it quite interesting. . . and informing. A lot of those things I already knew, but for him to be bold and say it, I give him big ups for that. A lot of friends of mine have been subjected to that backdoor draft thing, and it pisses me off!!! And this time, when they draft, OUR DAUGHTERS are going too!!! What tha phuck is goin' on, and why don't they pull that lunatic out of office???

And we ain't even gonna get started on the missing votes in Florida- those who voted early have to go back and do it again, because they have LOST the BALLOTS!!!!!!! Can you smell what the conspiracy is cookin'???

miked26
11-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Yes, watch the MOSH video by Eminem. Even if you are not a rap fan, check out this video, it is great!! And yes, I'll admit it, I am an Eminem fan. Nice call preciousstone75. Great timing with the election tomorrow!!! Don't forget to VOTE Fixxtures!!!!
GO KERRY!!!!

Jeanne Thelen
11-02-2004, 07:15 PM
WHEW!!! Just got back from the polls... and yes, I did vote for Kerry... depite all my reservations of what it might say to "terrorist nations" about switching presidents in the middle of a occupation(war) .. ANd Hey, If makes Cy happy ..well it was just an added bonus!!! :)

deBASHmode
11-02-2004, 10:18 PM
As always, gotta love the BBC for doing things the best. Their interactive map prompts you when there are updated votes in states, blinks the states you need to check.

BBC election returns map (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/americas/04/vote_usa/map/html/default.stm)

Alannah86
11-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Well, speaking of the BBC. Their news website has announced Bush as the winner of this election. What a shame, and to quote from the song I just happen to be listening right now:

"Just for politics we live the lie, you cry, we cry, part of history will wonder why"

Could not have said it better myself :(

Jeanne Thelen
11-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Good one , Allannah.. Alot of people are disapointed!!! Jeanne

dejapete
11-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Thanks to you who voted in the straw vote. If only Kerry had really won. It concerns me that Bush lied to us...That we are imposing democracy on Iraq...that 100,000 Iraqis have died so far...That the world view of the USA is worse than ever...That there are people without health insurance.

Bush will be President and the Republicans have Congress. Let's see something good get done for the people.

Keep watch. There are more elections to come.

I was too shy to speak my mind before the election and I should have. Anyway, let's be optimistic and work with what we've got.

preciousstone75
11-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks to you who voted in the straw vote. If only Kerry had really won. It concerns me that Bush lied to us...That we are imposing democracy on Iraq...that 100,000 Iraqis have died so far...That the world view of the USA is worse than ever...That there are people without health insurance.

Bush will be President and the Republicans have Congress. Let's see something good get done for the people.

Keep watch. There are more elections to come.

I was too shy to speak my mind before the election and I should have. Anyway, let's be optimistic and work with what we've got.

Meet the new crook- same as the old crook. . . I'm so sick of all the bullcrap this guy is shoveling!!! Most of his votes came from folks over 60!!! Do they honestly matter? All of them are mostly retired!!! Nothing that's going on now except for like social security and medicare really applies to them. . . now we're suffering for all this. . . and they wonder why folks in the service are telling their younger family members not to register for selective service. . .

Jeanne Thelen
11-05-2004, 01:37 PM
soooo TRUE , PREC!! When my father (who is over 60 and retired) found out that I voted for Kerry.. I was told my inheritance was now going to the dogs!!!!! He was not happy with me BUT , Oh well.. again I will say u have to stand up for what (or who) you believe in or fall with the rest of them!!!!!!!!!!!

Cygnet
11-05-2004, 03:01 PM
I was thinking in my dream the other night (happened to be election night...) about how important free-agency is. Abortion, poverty, marijuana... choice concerning these things belongs to each individual person, not to the government. People should be free to "live and die by their own mistakes." I don't mean that in a mean way. I mean- that's what FREEDOM means! Do we pity animals that are FREE or do we pity those that are locked up and supposedly given everything they need? I think freedom IS A BASIC HUMAN NEED and in America, we're supposed to have a right to that. So anyway, I'm done with the whole Republican agenda. The issues are not what matters here; it's freedom that matters! How can any individual feel good that they made the right choice about something when they had no option?
I've decided there is no underlying conspiracy. There is only ignorance (and those who make out like bandits because of it).
I used to always do what I was told, even if I didn't agree with it, because it was what "GOD" wanted me to do.
I'm grateful that "GOD" intervened and helped me understand that he doesn't try to control people. If he wanted to, don't you think he would have made us all robots in the first place?

So anyway, that's what I was thinking about in my dream that night. (The next night I dreamed I was married to Andre the Giant and he was riding me down a really steep rollercoaster.) I love rollercoasters and he was very sweet actually, so ...
JUDGE FOR YOURSELF!!!