PDA

View Full Version : Portland incident

bustah
12-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Never thought I'd be writing about someone accosting me at a Fixx show, but it's something I think I should share with some of the loyal fans out there. First of all, let me say I've been a Fixx fan for over 22 years. Seen lots of shows throughout Canada and the US, and I always thoroughly enjoy the music, performances and approachibility of the band members. They're great guys, and they are still making fantastic music. I made the trip down to Portland for the show at Barracuda's on November 27. Had a small digital camera that I was taking pictures with, trying to get the best shots I could for myself and friends and to donate them to the website. I usually snap my camera into movie mode for a brief clip or two as well at events like this, and after taking lots of pics well into the night, I started shooting a clip. Now I don't have much memory on this camera, so the clips are not very long anyway. Suddenly some dude, who I thought was a bouncer, real aggressive, started accusing me of shooting a video of the band! I'm like, what!? A video? It's a small camera man, I told him, and I'm happy to donate all to the website. Nevertheless, this guy starts getting real aggressive, and thinking he must be a bouncer, (seemed way too aggressive and uninformed about the band) I go with him to the front where he turns to a real bouncer and starts shouting that I'm taking video and for him to take my camera. Now I don't know who this guy is, and why he's trying to stop me from ruining the bands illustrious career by taking a 30 second video clip. After I told this idiot to take his hands off me, and ignoring his further aggression, I turn to the real bouncer who says "I don't think you're supposed to be taking pictures in here". I told him the Fixx have a website and all photos and video clips are donated, to which he replied "OK, just stay away from that guy, apparently he's with the band and a real hothead". That was from the bouncer! Didn't take my camera, had no problem with it. I said thanks, and went back in and continued to take pictures. Luckily, Mr-I'm-rescuing-the-band-by-accosting-fans-with-cameras was nowhere to be found after that. So I'm surfing the website today, trying to see if this guy is indeed with the band, because I pity them if he is, and I think I spot him as Mick their tour manager!! Wow, guys, if that is true, (I'm not 100%, but it sure looks like him) I hope and pray that other fans won't get be put off by this dude looking to assert his little self in the world. I'm still a Fixx fan, and will be showing up at other shows to support the band in the future. Despite the dude with the little man complex. Thanks to the band for some great tunes again at Barracuda's. All materials that turned out were donated to the website for the Portland gig so check them out on the fixx.com website. Peace.

deBASHmode
12-05-2004, 05:00 AM
Mick's usually manning the merchandise table during shows. Hassling fans with cameras doesn't sound like something he'd bother with. The guys in general, and Rupert the camera freak in specific, seem to enjoy seeing the photos we take. Also, the band just arranged to allow anyone who wanted to tape or shoot their show on Thursday night. My guess is that it wasn't Mick. Sorry you had the ugly incident, though.

bustah
12-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your thoughts deBash. As I've said here and on the Lighthouse board, I'm not 100% sure who it was. The person who did this looks remarkable like a picture in the gallery section of the fixx.com website who is riding a bull in St Louis. He's identified as Mick in the picture. Hard to forget a face when he's so up close and personal. Peace.