PDA

View Full Version : What was the last record or CD you bought?

heimo
06-09-2003, 08:49 AM
Hello!

Still so quite in fixx-land...
Maybe you all like to tell for which kind of record (cd/DVD) you last spend some money?!

I got myself the new dvd from saga. There are a lot of old songs on it. But after watching and listening I do not know if anybody needs that kind of stuff today.

Very interesting when Leadsinger Michael Sadler tells about Rupert Hine "forced" him to sing the middlepassage from "Wind him up".Very early in the morning Sadler was woken up by a technician, got some headphones and a microphone. Then a voice (R. Hine, sitting in the studio) told him to sing - and of course to stay in bed.

Stay tuned and take care,
heimo

Octopulse
06-09-2003, 09:40 AM
SRV - Live At The elMocambo (DVD)
Marilyn Manson - The Golden Age Of Grotesque

Angelina
06-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Dave Gahan's (lead singer of Depeche Mode) first solo CD, Paper Monsters, along with Ghost In the Machine (The Police), which I hadn't heard in years. Still sounds great.

Just bought tickets this morning for Dave's show at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.

Steve Pariseau
06-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Just bought Train's new CD called My Private Nation. They ousted the songwriter and rhythm guitarist and boy does it show. The new album sucks!

Ok, I take that back, I just wanted to say that because it sounded funny. Without the lead songwriter the lyrics are very shallow. Without the presence of his acoustic guitar the atmosphere is much to electric (for them).

It's OK, but I think I need to warm up to it.
Cheers
Steve

itizuki
06-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Dave Matthews Band - the one with Crush on it... good stuff!:)

jim
06-15-2003, 12:28 AM
that dave matthews one is pretty good.

Last one I bought was Neil Finn's "One All". It has about 5 songs I really like on it.

Last Dvd I bought was "Office Space". I enjoy that movie because that's generally the way I feel about jobs.

Next on my list is a fixx cd and the dvd for "better off dead" in keeping with the fixx theme.

jim

Sunburn
06-16-2003, 11:07 PM
Last CD I bought was the soundtrack to the Matrix Reloaded. Not as good as the first, or as good as I had hoped. I have the remaster of Kate Bush's _Hounds of Love_ on order...

Last DVD I bought was A Bug's Life (collector's edition), mostly for the little one.

fletch
06-20-2003, 02:07 AM
New Dandy Warhols cd - "Welcome to the Monkey House" - AWEsome band !

Rain
06-21-2003, 05:36 AM
I bought several cd's at one time (sale!!):

Declaration - Steven Curtis Chapman
Speechless - Steven Curtis Chapman
Couldn't Stand The Weather - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Soul To Soul - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I want the new Led Zep dvd but just haven't ordered it yet!

SilentGeoff
07-06-2003, 09:44 AM
The last CD I bought was the new Steely Dan "Everything Must Go". IMO it's better than "Two Against Nature" and Walter Becker actually sings a song on it.

The last DVD I bought was the Led Zeppelin one.....Rain, it is incredible.

Rain
07-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Ok, you talked me into it. I finally ordered it. :D :D :D

dejapete
07-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Anyone cross over to Country? I think the Dixie Chicks "Home" is excellent... Beautiful album. Don't let the recent press about the Chicks turn you away. (hey, it even won a Grammy).

STUART
07-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Yep - I list Trisha Yearwood as one of my all time greatest musical influences. Amazing live show, stage presence and a willingness to meet with her fans, another thing on par with the Fixx.

SilentGeoff
07-08-2003, 08:17 AM
Mitraria,
I am a big fan of Diamond Rio, Travis Tritt (The first 3 or 4 CDs not the most recent stuff), Marty Stuart, Trisha Yearwood & Patty Loveless.

SilentGeoff
07-08-2003, 08:19 AM
Rain,
You will not be disappointed with the Zep DVD. It's worth it just for the Knebworth show but it includes so much more.

Geoff

Wilkie UK
07-08-2003, 10:36 AM
The last DVD's I bought were 'Saga's Silhouettes' and 'Slade in Flame'

last cd was King's X, 'Black Like Sunday'. Not exactly in the same vein as 'The Fixx', but great fun.
Got a chance to see both bands in August and September, too :D :D ;) ;)

STUART
07-08-2003, 02:36 PM
The Pooh Sticks - Million Seller.
Been trying to find for ages, succeeded this week.
Kitsch, Americana, Bubblegum pop with a Welsh tinge.
Weird but wonderful.

preciousstone75
07-08-2003, 09:39 PM
I purchased Geoff Tate's selftitled (he is the lead singer of Queensryche), Queensryche's Greatest Hits, and also their Live:Evolution as well as Aaliyah's I Care 4 U, and The Fixx's Millenium Collection. I think I have worn the tracks off of that one! But I listen to them as much as I listen to Queensryche, so that means now I have to get a tattoo that says The Fixx since I already have Queensryche's tri-ryche! Anyone got any really good pictures of their name so I can get it done?:D

itizuki
07-10-2003, 10:47 AM
hey precious... I enjoy Queensryche as well. don't have any tattoos but I did sing Silent Lucidity a few weeks back in a karaoke bar. welcome to the board!

preciousstone75
07-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Yes, I have been known to do some karaoke myself. My favorite to do is "Open Arms" by Journey. I have yet to do "Silent Lucidity", but one I would really like to try is "Chasing Blue Sky" from their Greatest cd. You know their new one is due out on the 22nd, so I am going to find that one quick! "Tribe" is the name of that one, so be on the lookout!

Have you heard Geoff's solo effort yet?

Steve Pariseau
07-10-2003, 09:21 PM
I used to be bitter about Queensryche. You see I lost a bet over Silent Lucidity. When it hit the airwaves I was so sure it was a new Pink Floyd tune that I bet a buddy of mine $50 that it was from a soon to be released Pink Floyd album.

Needless to say, I had to pay up.

I really enjoy their 1990 and 1997 albums. Those are the only two I have at this point.

Those of you who dig Queensryche might check Green Vinyl Dream.

Green Vinyl Dream are rising stars currently touring with Pat Benetar and Niel Giraldo.

Very Queensryche.
Very Journey

Very talented.
Check 'em out at...

http://www.greenvinyldream.com/home.htm

preciousstone75
07-10-2003, 09:31 PM
:D I have everything they ever put out- here's a list to build from:

Self titled debut Queensryche
The Warning
Rage for Order
Operation:Mindcrime
Empire
Operation:Livecrime
Promised Land
Hear in the Now Frontier
Q2K
Crown Jewels
Greatest Hits
Live:Evolution
and the upcoming Tribe
as well as three soundtracks:
History of Western Civilization 2 (directed by Penelope Spheeris)
The Adventures of Ford Fairlane ("Last Time In Paris")
Last Action Hero ("Real World")

There are only three of those I don't own yet, including the new release. You should really check out their Greatest, because at first I thought "Silent Lucidity" was the best. . . and then I heard "Chasing Blue Sky", which was recorded during the sessions for Hear in the Now Frontier. It actually reminds me of the Fixx now that I think about it!

preciousstone75
07-10-2003, 09:59 PM
:D "Chasing Blue Sky" can be found on their Greatest collection as well as a full band version of "Someone Else". It is really worth listening to, and Queensryche has worked with Lisa Dalbello as well. I know she has worked with The Fixx; they recorded "Gonna Get Close To You" in 1986 on Rage For Order. That is another track I recommend because of its haunting imagery. You can see it on Building Empire, their DVD/VHS release. Mindcrime and Livecrime are both available on VHS, but you can find a limited edition version of it on VHS (livecrime) that is also available as a DVD. You will enjoy it immensely!

Char
07-12-2003, 10:13 AM
"Bare" by Annie Lennox--excellent.

preciousstone75
07-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Char
"Bare" by Annie Lennox--excellent.

I have long been a fan of hers, so I will definitely check that one out. Thankz!

Rain
07-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by SilentGeoff
Rain,
You will not be disappointed with the Zep DVD. It's worth it just for the Knebworth show but it includes so much more.

Geoff

OH! Yes, you are SOOOO right! It is AWESOME! And I haven't even watched all of it yet!! *faint*

SilentGeoff
07-18-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Rain
OH! Yes, you are SOOOO right! It is AWESOME! And I haven't even watched all of it yet!! *faint*

This is why I enjoyed being a radio D.J. for years.....love when I can get the music to people....

fishnoises
07-19-2003, 07:34 AM
I bought the new Six Pence, Mercy me and Third Day albums all at once. (I love Amazon.com!!!!!!)

preciousstone75
07-19-2003, 08:01 PM
You know how crazy you feel when you hear a certain song, and it's like they play it everywhere, and when you find out what it is, you feel totally retarded? That is the feeling I had when I found out the name to this song "How Soon Is Now" by The Smiths. They played it on The Faculty, The Craft, and a few more other movies (don't quote me on this, but I think it was on "Heathers" as well) and "Blood and Roses" (the name of the artists escape me right now- I'm having another bonehead moment) that was featured in a film called Dangerously Close. Has anyone seen this movie, and please tell me about it! I love that song!

Rain
07-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Are you perhaps thinking of the Smithereens? I haven't seen the movie, but the Smithereens had several hits, "Blood & Roses" being a predominant one.

Blood & Roses (http://www.romymichele.com/music/bloodandroses.rm)

preciousstone75
07-19-2003, 10:25 PM
:D See, I am feeling retarded right now! I got "A Girl Like You" floating around on one of my compilation cds. . . see what I mean?

ROFMLMFAO!!!!!!
:D

Steve Pariseau
07-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by preciousstone75
:D "Chasing Blue Sky" can be found on their Greatest collection

Ok, my Queensryche Greatest Hits CD finally showed up. I see what you are talking about with Chasing Blue Sky. What a soulful and well crafted tune. It's certain to wind up on one o my compilers.

Thanks for the recommendation.

preciousstone75
07-30-2003, 11:15 AM
:D That has to be one of the most played tracks on that cd. . . it just transports you to another place, like "someone else" from promised land (they were recorded around the same time).......

rohub
01-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Of course,

1) WANT THIS LIFE
2) HAPPY LANDINGS/LOST TRACKS
3) A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD - COLDPLAY

Clive3
01-21-2004, 01:56 PM
My most recent album that i have bought would have to be the new limp bizkit album Results May Vary.. It is alot better than any of there other work. and Behind Bleu Eyes is on it if anyone has heard that song before...

Clive

SilentGeoff
01-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by rohub
Of course,

1) WANT THIS LIFE
2) HAPPY LANDINGS/LOST TRACKS
3) A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD - COLDPLAY

The Coldplay CD is an excellent choice. I really love the lyrics that Chris Martin comes up with. That whole set is great. I especially like "Amsterdam" & "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face". As for the Fixx CDs well it goes without saying that I like both of them....since we are here on the board and all.

Clive3
01-22-2004, 08:52 AM
I have to agree the coldplay albums are impresive.... I am happy to see a group like them, that is not like rap or really heavy music, to hit MTV and all the music stations the way that they hav. they are a great group an hope to hear from more of them in the future...

Clive

qwest1
04-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Barenaked Ladies "Everything to Everyone"...also burned the live CD from their site. One of the better live bands out there; the only one (other than The Fixx, of course) that I travel anywhere to see.

itzWicks
04-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by mitraria
Anyone cross over to Country? I think the Dixie Chicks "Home" is excellent... Beautiful album. Don't let the recent press about the Chicks turn you away. (hey, it even won a Grammy).

The problem with the Dixie Chicks was NEVER their talent or ability to put good music together.

The problem with the ladies happens to be their fair-weather patriotism and intellectual dishonesty. To quote a book cover, they should just "shut up and sing."

As it is now, I found plenty of other places to spend my money on. A Greatest Hits Fixx CD is at the top of my list.:cool:

STUART
04-18-2004, 01:23 AM
Trisha Yearwood, she's my No1 country babe, been a big fan since 1991 when Bob Harries used to play here on his UK Radio 1 late night show, that guy played some immense stuff, including the Fixx, Dan Reed Network, Jeff Healey amongst others.
Trisha Yearwood, she tours here so seldom, caught her at Birmingham in 2001, favourite track if I had to choose would be Real Live Woman.

dejapete
04-18-2004, 07:21 AM
Wow. I got quoted. People really do read what you post. I recently discovered that a Yahoo search results in some of my posts. Good reason to be careful what one writes. The whole world is watching.

The last albums I bought were life for rent by Dido and Sacred Love by Sting. I usually don't buy pop albums, but what the heck, they were on sale. Dido was OK for a while, but I stopped listening. I'm with tenohtwo on Sting. (see "Fixx poster in Propaganda picture" thread). Mercury Falling took a while to get to like. Sting's last two albums stay on the shelf.

tenohtwo
04-18-2004, 06:50 PM
I just had to replace my copy of "Viva Hate" by Morrissey, so that was the last one I bought. Ironically, the next CD I buy will be his new album, "You Are The Quarry", which comes out in May. I heard the new single, and it's very cool. Reminiscent of "Your Arsenal"

dejapete
07-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Spent $16.00 on an Indigo Girls album called All That We Let In. But it comes with a 25 minute video DVD to lessen the wallet shock. I learned of it while listening to a contemporary adult alternative radio station from Madison, WI.

Just saw the DVD. Very nice acoustic portion of a recent concert in New York. (Dec 2003).

deBASHmode
07-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Just got the Fixx King Biscuit CD - can't wait to listen, and also Owsley's "The Hard Way".

Elemental, 1011 Woodlands., and happy Landings and lost tracks are now on their way from Amazon. Filing in my Fixx collection! Wheeeee!

Fixxation
07-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Hello All,

I bought The Fixx CD Stages One and I am currently blasting Saga's DVD All Areas.

For those of you that have not heard of Saga, you should read some of the threads people have posted. They have some great songs like Don't Be Late, No Regrets, Wind Him Up, Humble Stance and many, many more.

Fixxation

Fluxus
01-10-2005, 01:19 PM
For me, Christmas filled up my CD rack...I have no room left! Of course, we do tend to buy a lot of music.

I received The Killers, U2 (latest), Duran Duran (latest), The Cure (Three Imaginary Boys 2 disk set). I bought my husband the 24-Hour Party People soundtrack and Joy Division - Closer to the Unknown. He recently came home with the Best of the BeeGees. Other recent purchases? Hmm... Death to the Pixies may be the most recent.

Steve Pariseau
01-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Truth Be Told (self titled) - Here is a great indie band that opened for the Fixx in Santa Barbara in March of 2004. Only $6.98 at http://www.projekt.com/

Collective Soul - Youth Pretty good even with a new lead guitarist. As good as Hints and Disciplined Breakdown.

The Music - Welcome To The North Our very own The Optimist (where has he been anyway?) turned me on to these guys. Again, this was only $7.99 at Best Buy - the right price for any music CD.

Evanescence - Anywhere But Home This puppy came as a two disc set. The other disc is a full length DVD with the concert footage Live In Paris and all of the Evanescence music videos. There may be interviews too, I'm not done scoping it out yet.

Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk Not normally into this kind of music but Black Eyed Peas does their genre justice with good uplifting lyrics. They're rap but they take a stand against gangsta rap.

Also bought a couple old titles that I'll not bore you with.

heimo
01-10-2005, 03:59 PM
It's always a Mixture of old and new stuff:

the quite actuell ones:

The Music - Welcome to the north
Delays - Faded Seaside Glamour
Interpol - Antics
Velvet Revolver - Contraband

older stuff:

David Sylvian - Everything and nothing
The Stone Roses - Second coming

and for my evil twin:

Kyuss - Welcome to sky valley
Life of Agony - Ugly

Wilkie UK
01-11-2005, 01:58 AM
Not much new on my shoppling list: -

Queen - On Fire:Live At The Bowl (a recording of my very first gig :cool: )

Maroon 5 - Songs From Jane (there's just something about these tunes, that gets in my brain)

Nightwish - Songs From The Elvenpath (definitely NOT Fixx-ish)

preciousstone75
01-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen. . . the Best of George Michael

Patience- George Michael

Moondance- Van Morrison

Best of Bowie

This Is Not a Test- Missy Elliot

Love Hurts- Jon B

and when I get to the store tonight I plan on having Cowboys from Hell- Pantera as well as that elusive 20th Century Masters video compilation of The Fixx. . . I see it one day, and it's gone the next! I am damned near ready to order it. . .

Rain
01-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Lessee... last ones I bought were

Daryl Hall Live in Philadelphia 2004

Everyone Is Here - The Finn Brothers

Our Kind of Soul - Daryl Hall & John Oates (this is a great cd of soul covers... if you're into Marvin, Al Green et al, you'll love this one)

The Incomplete Glenn Tilbrook - Glenn Tilbrook (I had this one already, but I found the UK version that has a bonus acoustic cd)

I think those are all I've bought recently. I haven't been in much of a shopping mood since Christmas! I haven't even opened up the Daryl cd yet... and I've had it nearly a month...

Fluxus
01-13-2005, 10:56 PM
i'm the proud owner of 101 Live Letters (LP) and a couple of Fixx disks. ...hmm...as I sit here listening to Killing Joke I smile and think of how far we've come since the lovely 80's. I do wish everything would come on vinyl sometimes...sick obsession with the crackling and static. It's romantic. what to hunt down next??

deBASHmode
01-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Please recommend a good starting point with Killing Joke - I know one song only by them (Love Like Blood), and want to hear more. Thanks!

Wilkie UK
01-14-2005, 03:39 AM
Lessee... last ones I bought were

Daryl Hall Live in Philadelphia 2004

Everyone Is Here - The Finn Brothers

Our Kind of Soul - Daryl Hall & John Oates (this is a great cd of soul covers... if you're into Marvin, Al Green et al, you'll love this one)

The Incomplete Glenn Tilbrook - Glenn Tilbrook (I had this one already, but I found the UK version that has a bonus acoustic cd)

I think those are all I've bought recently. I haven't been in much of a shopping mood since Christmas! I haven't even opened up the Daryl cd yet... and I've had it nearly a month... Have you got Glenn Tilbrook's 'Transatlantic Ping-Pong'? I don't find the songs as catchy, but Glenn's music is always interesting and worth the effort to stick with.

Fluxus
01-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by deBASHmode
Please recommend a good starting point with Killing Joke - I know one song only by them (Love Like Blood), and want to hear more. Thanks!

Hey Bash...

Well, Killing Joke sings the ever popular "Living in the 80's"...so I'd say the album "Night Time" is a good place to start. A second choice would be "Laugh? I Nearly Bought One." There's some great remixes of Love Like Blood and 80's out there too...fun stuff! I listen to them a lot when I'm buried in my office.

Rain
01-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Wilkie UK
Have you got Glenn Tilbrook's 'Transatlantic Ping-Pong'? I don't find the songs as catchy, but Glenn's music is always interesting and worth the effort to stick with.

YES OF COURSE! I bought it the day it came out, which, coincidentally was the same day as Glenn's concert in Atlanta and I promptly had him sign it after the show! http://www.nesiesnetescape.com/glennme.jpg
I do like a lot of the songs on TAPP, but I think I do like TIGT better.

I'm also in the midst of reading the Squeeze: Song By Song book. http://www.thefixx.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

There is talk of Glenn releasing a 4-cd set of demos of his... at first for release in January, now I think it's pushed back to February... we'll see...

likelyaurora
01-16-2005, 11:29 PM
I recently got the first two albums by magazine "real life" and "secondhand daylight." I had the live album "play" on vinyl for ages and i thought i'd have a go at the first two. They were better than i thought and i am happy. John McGeoch was a member of the the group and went on to be in siouxsie and banshees and public image limited. He was an influential underated guitarist whose talent will be missed in this world.

Hey Fluxus,
I'm a killing joke fan too. I like "Extremities, Dirt & Various Repressed Emotions" album quite a lot as well as the laugh comp.
Geordie Walker is another completely underated guitarist that i enjoy listening to.

preciousstone75
01-18-2005, 07:11 AM
fresh music

Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory

Linkin Park- Meteora

Jay-Z and Linkin Park- Collision Course

I am so into these dudes now. . . Mike Shinoda is the shizznit! He can spit lyrics better than any MC I've heard lately!

and he IS kinda cute! :D

pippi617
01-18-2005, 11:32 AM
i just bought Elemental & 1011 Woodland

:) :)

deBASHmode
01-18-2005, 11:33 AM
you're in for a treat, Pippi! Happy listening!

Sunburn
01-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Hmm, the last five would be:

Chuck Berry: Anthology
Underworld: 1992-2002
Underworld: Second Toughest in the Infants
Queen: Greatest Hits
U2: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

The Chuck Berry Anthology is something everyone should own, it's really amazing. Everything later owes to Chuck--you will not believe how much of this anthology is stuff you know that you didn't realize you knew. And you'll realize lots of other music you know is actually much more derivative than you might have thought. Of course, the main thing is that it's just really great music!

Alannah86
01-19-2005, 01:37 AM
I've just bought:

Experience Hendrix - Been meaning to buy a Hendrix CD for ages.
The Killers Hot Fuss - Love their latest song Somebody Told Me.

Sunburn, Underworld are fantastic, love them.

Alannah86
01-19-2005, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by pippi617

Pippi, have you watched the 1011 Woodland videos yet? You probably already know this, but there are a couple of hidden videos. It was mentioned on this thread:

http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=951

The one titled "Who Cleans The Tour Bus?" gave me a good laugh.

preciousstone75
01-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by pippi617

1011 is tha shizznit! :D

Fluxus
01-20-2005, 08:52 AM
My Fixx 'Missing Links' disk just arrived. Woo hoo! (now...about the new shelving we need for all of our music. yikes)

Fluxus
01-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Sunburn
Hmm, the last five would be:

Underworld: 1992-2002
Underworld: Second Toughest in the Infants

Is Underworld not heavenly? I haven't purchased anything since Pearl's Girl though...time to maybe get some more!!
I need to see what's coming up for Royksop... love love love them.

Wilkie UK
01-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Fluxus
Hey Bash...

Well, Killing Joke sings the ever popular "Living in the 80's"...so I'd say the album "Night Time" is a good place to start. A second choice would be "Laugh? I Nearly Bought One." There's some great remixes of Love Like Blood and 80's out there too...fun stuff! I listen to them a lot when I'm buried in my office. Oh boy, that takes me back! I saw the band in 1985, at London's Hammersmith Palais. There was a weird atmosphere in there; more of a dark, spiritual thing, than a normal gig :eek:

Wilkie UK
01-20-2005, 09:50 AM
YES OF COURSE! I bought it the day it came out, which, coincidentally was the same day as Glenn's concert in Atlanta and I promptly had him sign it after the show! http://www.nesiesnetescape.com/glennme.jpg
I do like a lot of the songs on TAPP, but I think I do like TIGT better.

I'm also in the midst of reading the Squeeze: Song By Song book. http://www.thefixx.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

There is talk of Glenn releasing a 4-cd set of demos of his... at first for release in January, now I think it's pushed back to February... we'll see... Ah yes, Glenn is a top bloke. I haven't got the book yet, but I plan to. I'm on his mailing list, so I hope to hear about the cd release, soon. :cool:

Wilkie UK
01-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Is Underworld not heavenly? I haven't purchased anything since Pearl's Girl though...time to maybe get some more!!
I need to see what's coming up for Royksop... love love love them. Did you know that Rick Smith and Karl Hyde, used to be in a band called 'Freur'? They had a minor hit with 'Doot Doot', but then folded in on themselves. They created the band 'Underworld', which on the start, was more of a rock-pop band, than a dance act.

STUART
01-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Did you know that Rick Smith and Karl Hyde, used to be in a band called 'Freur'? They had a minor hit with 'Doot Doot', but then folded in on themselves. They created the band 'Underworld', which on the start, was more of a rock-pop band, than a dance act.

Freur - ah memories - another fine Welsh band - formed in Cardiff.

heimo
01-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know something about a guy called ADAM GREEN? Sold out concerts in germany and just positive critics. Has anyone allready listened to his new record?

preciousstone75
01-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Was browsing in FYE last week when I came across a little cd that featured extended versions by the Fixx. . . when I took it out and played it, it was a complete rip from 1011 and 20th Century masters! I was pissed beyond all comprehension! I'm like "dude, why did BMG try to pull a fast one and release this?! Do the guys know about this?!" Needless to say, I am going to find out about this one. Why would you repackage something like that and rip people off? I think 1011 is fabulous the way it is, especially since it's a double cd, and then you get that?!

pissed at BMG because real Fixx fans know where the songs came from

Sunburn
01-20-2005, 12:25 PM

Not since Pearl's Girl? Then you missed Beaucoup Fish, which many say is their best. You should definitely give it a listen!

deBASHmode
01-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Adam Woods would second that call on Beaucoup Fish - he recommended it as their best, along with A Hundred Days off as another can't-pass-up disk. I'm enjoying both discs heartily!

Alannah86
01-20-2005, 01:59 PM
I would definitely recommend Beaucoup Fish! It's bloody fantastic :D

Wilkie UK
01-21-2005, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by STUART
Freur - ah memories - another fine Welsh band - formed in Cardiff. Hey Stuart, how's the House of Fun?

I saw Freur 10 times, in and around London. They were SOOOO close to breaking it, but their record company didn't like the direction of their 2nd album. It didn't even get a release in the UK, and I can't find it on cd, anywhere.
I've got some gig photos from those days, which I'll post over the weekend.

Fluxus
01-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Sunburn
Not since Pearl's Girl? Then you missed Beaucoup Fish, which many say is their best. You should definitely give it a listen!

I've listened to their new stuff...just not actually purchased a hard copy (trying not to incriminate myself...);)

Underworld as a dance band...I can see it... I don't think I'd ever heard them in a club until recently (strange - but my memory is like sieve). Dubnobasswithmyheadman is a disk that I listen to most often... it's been a soul ripper for me...almost trance-like...pulls at something through my ears and turns me inside out (lifting one evil eyebrow and winking). That's all I can say. I found a scratch on my disk so it's time to buy a new one.

Freur? I'll start the hunt this weekend!

Jeanne Thelen
01-23-2005, 01:34 PM
I just found a promotional copy of How Much is Enough for .95 at a used Cd store and A dance mix of One thing Leads to Another.. with four different versions of dance mixes .. all made me want to cry.. I could barly get through it .. the only nice thing to say is that it had an excellent picture of Cy on the cover!!! Otherwise .. I just bought INK.. WOW.. I guess I am a little one sided here, HUH???

Heimo, I didn't know you had an evil twin too!! :)

SilentGeoff
01-24-2005, 07:15 AM
I just recently purchased:

A.C.T. - Imaginary Friends - On Wilkie's recommendation mainly....I really like the tracks No Perspective, Biggest Mistake and the title cut the best. A few more listens will probably yield more.

Garden State - Music from the Motion Picture - This has a couple great cuts from The Shins [New Slang & Caring Is Creepy], a really good one from Nick Drake [One Of These Things First], one of my favorites from Simon & Garfunkel [The Only Living Boy In New York], a really cool tune from Bonnie Somerville [Winding Road] and some other really good soundtrack material [including songs from Coldplay, Zero 7, Colin Hay {from Men At Work}, Cary Brothers, Remy Zero, Thievery Corporation, Iron and Wine & Frou Frou]. This hardly ever leaves my CD player since I got it.

Words & Music - John Mellencamp's Greatest Hits - All this stuff sounds good to me now. I wasn't much of a fan when he was stringing together his hits but call it the midwestern U.S. influence in my life now it all sounds good to me now.

Nirvana - With The Lights Out - Had to get it.....I have everything else I could find from them so the box set was needed.

Geoff

Wilkie UK
01-25-2005, 10:23 AM
I am glad you've taken to A.C.T so well :D Believe me, the more you listen, the more you enjoy ;)
No Perspective shows the band's sense of humour. Take It Easy is the band's main song. you, know, the one that they HAVE to play, regardless. My favourites at the moment, are Mr Unfaithful and Supposed Tour, which is a live favourite. It, basically, tells the tale of how the band were booked to support Saga in 2001, but their (then) manager, fouled up, and none of the venues were aware that a support band were coming :rolleyes:

Octopulse
01-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Kinks - To The Bone

I almost hate to admit it but partly because of that HP commercial

excellent record

SilentGeoff
02-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Octopulse
Kinks - To The Bone

I almost hate to admit it but partly because of that HP commercial

excellent record

I agree totally Octo.....It's great to hear The Kinks sounding so good. I have been on a Kinks buying frenzy lately. I just got "Preservation 2", "BBC Sessions 1964 - 1977" and "The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society". All 3 are excellent CDs but I am really partial to Village Green....mainly because of Picture Book. I am picking up "Preservation Act 1" & "Something Else By The Kinks" tomorrow. It's been years since I have heard either of them so I can't wait.

Geoff

SilentGeoff
02-02-2005, 08:49 AM
I am glad you've taken to A.C.T so well :D Believe me, the more you listen, the more you enjoy ;)
No Perspective shows the band's sense of humour. Take It Easy is the band's main song. you, know, the one that they HAVE to play, regardless. My favourites at the moment, are Mr Unfaithful and Supposed Tour, which is a live favourite. It, basically, tells the tale of how the band were booked to support Saga in 2001, but their (then) manager, fouled up, and none of the venues were aware that a support band were coming :rolleyes:

Upon repeated listenings of the CD, between my Kinks listening jag, I am really liking the whole set. Now I just have to find the other stuff by them at reasonable price to complete the collection.

Geoff

Octopulse
02-02-2005, 09:21 AM
from SilentGeoff
I agree totally Octo.....It's great to hear The Kinks sounding so good. I have been on a Kinks buying frenzy lately. I just got "Preservation 2", "BBC Sessions 1964 - 1977" and "The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society". All 3 are excellent CDs but I am really partial to Village Green....mainly because of Picture Book. I am picking up "Preservation Act 1" & "Something Else By The Kinks" tomorrow. It's been years since I have heard either of them so I can't wait.

Love the kinks, my first Kinks album was "Everybody's In Show-biz", that was back when I was a teenage Kiss-fanatic, and ballads werent exactly my cup-o-tea back then, but "Celluloid Heroes" couldnt be denied, I played it to death

http://kinks.it.rit.edu/lyrics/regular/showbiz/lrg-showbiz.jpg

"To The Bone" is one of those rare records that my wife and I can both agree on, Im looking to pick up "Schoolboys In Disgrace" soon as well...........Cya:D

Fluxus
02-06-2005, 10:21 AM
...hey kids...if you haven't checked out the line-up this year... looks like Bauhaus is playing?!?! I might go for day 1 if I can coughup the dough and head west. gives me butterflies to think of it. I'd love to see New Order again too...they're on the list for Day 2.

Wilkie UK
02-07-2005, 03:20 AM
Upon repeated listenings of the CD, between my Kinks listening jag, I am really liking the whole set. Now I just have to find the other stuff by them at reasonable price to complete the collection.

Geoff :D :D :D :cool: :cool: Let me know, if you have any problems getting the other albums ;)

SilentGeoff
02-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Octopulse
"To The Bone" is one of those rare records that my wife and I can both agree on, Im looking to pick up "Schoolboys In Disgrace" soon as well...........Cya:D

I ended up getting "Schoolboys In Disgrace" since the shop I normally shop at sold out of the 2 I wanted to get. Great set...I vaguely remember listening to it when I was younger. You're quite lucky that your wife can accept any Kinks....mine hates them with a passion....well maybe not hates them but she only likes a couple of the bigger hits. I don't know what I should expect though....for her music is Rick Springfield, Bon Jovi & [oddly] Sawyer Brown. Good stuff but not quite on The Kinks level IMO.

Geoff

SilentGeoff
02-07-2005, 07:43 AM
:D :D :D :cool: :cool: Let me know, if you have any problems getting the other albums ;)

I will do that Wilkie. I am in the process of trying to get the second CD now. I have a shop that can get almost anything. And they don't charge an arm and a leg to do it. They are looking for that one and The Long Ryders "State Of Our Union" for me.

Geoff

Wilkie UK
02-08-2005, 06:31 AM
You could try Radiant Records (http://www.radiantrecords.com/index.asp) . They have both Today's Report & Last Epic

SilentGeoff
02-08-2005, 08:11 AM
You could try Radiant Records (http://www.radiantrecords.com/index.asp) . They have both Today's Report & Last Epic

I will do that here in a couple minutes. Thanks for the tip Wilkie.

Geoff

dejapete
02-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Today I bought Crosby, Stills & Nash, their first album. It has some good songs, but I bought it also for nostalgia.

Uh oh! This might just make me a rock 'n' roll geezer!

Jeanne Thelen
02-24-2005, 05:31 PM
MAYFLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SilentGeoff
02-24-2005, 05:44 PM
"Mayfly" & April Wine "First Glance"

Geoff

pippi617
02-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Mayfly

and . . . .

Mayfly

fishnoises
02-24-2005, 07:59 PM
I have been listening to a lot of Christian music lately. My faves are Third Day, Mercy Me, Jeremy Camp, Newsboys and Rebecca St. James. I wish there were more great secular bands like the Fixx still going strong and producing honest and uplifting music.

dejapete
02-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Forgive me fishnoises while I switch gears. Nothing wrong with being uplifted, by the way.

And Lord, forgive me for this.

I just remembered that the Crosby, Stills & Nash album has that "Helplessly hoping her hard lickin' lover" line that Hecubus mentioned in the Mistaken Lyrics thread.

If you haven't read those posts, take a gander. They are hilarious.

http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1931

preciousstone75
02-25-2005, 07:06 AM
Jay Z & Linkin Park- Collision Course

Linkin Park- Meteora

Linkin Park- hybrid theory

Def Leppard- Pyromania

:cool:

Fluxus
02-25-2005, 07:27 AM
I just got The Libertines - haven't even unwrapped it yet.
Before that it was The The - Hanky Panky.

Alannah86
02-25-2005, 08:00 AM
I love Hanky Panky by The The! Used to have it years ago in cassette form but lost it in all my moves, so I will be getting in CD when I am over there :D

xxif
02-25-2005, 08:59 PM
My last record?...

...May 3rd,2003:deploying 27 of my 43 personalities in a single 24 hour day!

Haven't been able to get it above 20 since. My therapist seems pleased though,which I find very discouraging;talk about a non-team player!...sheesh!

preciousstone75
02-28-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by xxif
My last record?...

...May 3rd,2003:deploying 27 of my 43 personalities in a single 24 hour day!

Haven't been able to get it above 20 since. My therapist seems pleased though,which I find very discouraging;talk about a non-team player!...sheesh!

goofball! you so crazy (look who's talking!)!:D

heimo
02-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Bought "22-20s" today. Do not know anythink about them. But just walked into my local record store, they played "devil in me" and felt I must have it...

SilentGeoff
03-02-2005, 07:35 AM
Just purchased The Shins "Chutes Too Narrow" & "Oh, Inverted World". Both are excellent and I recommend both to everyone. I'm beginning to believe what was said about them in the movie "Garden State". "You gotta hear this group....It will change your life"

Geoff

xxif
03-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Just purchased The Shins "Chutes Too Narrow" & "Oh, Inverted World". Both are excellent and I recommend both to everyone. I'm beginning to believe what was said about them in the movie "Garden State". "You gotta hear this group....It will change your life"

Geoff

Hey,SilentGeoff

I just saw the film:"In Good Company",starring Dennis Quaid,Scarlett Johansen and Topher Grace. It was a great film,and I was excited to hear two Shins tunes on the soundtrack! They were the last two songs on "Chutes Too Narrow": "Gone For Good" and "Those To Come". Very cool. They appear to be getting more and more exposure,and for good reason,as I'm sure you'd wholeheartedly agree with by now.

Have yet to pick up "Oh,Inverted World",though I have heard several tracks from it,and even have one of them "burned" on c.d.:"Pressed in a Book";excellent song!

Here's to The Shins' imminent world domination!-(not likely,but it's a pleasant thought nonetheless):)

SilentGeoff
03-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Hey,SilentGeoff

I just saw the film:"In Good Company",starring Dennis Quaid,Scarlett Johansen and Topher Grace. It was a great film,and I was excited to hear two Shins tunes on the soundtrack! They were the last two songs on "Chutes Too Narrow": "Gone For Good" and "Those To Come". Very cool. They appear to be getting more and more exposure,and for good reason,as I'm sure you'd wholeheartedly agree with by now.

Have yet to pick up "Oh,Inverted World",though I have heard several tracks from it,and even have one of them "burned" on c.d.:"Pressed in a Book";excellent song!

Here's to The Shins' imminent world domination!-(not likely,but it's a pleasant thought nonetheless):)

After finally hearing and owning both of The Shins full-length CDs I totally agree with your statement. If there is any justice they will at the very least start getting a bit more airplay and exposure now. In fact I am going to look into getting tickets to see them in concert, which I am led to believe by speaking to a few people who have done so is an excellent show, as soon as they get somewhere near here.

They are scheduled to be on Austin City Limits on PBS sometime in the near future with The Flaming Lips. There is a show that has some promise.

Geoff

Fixxate
03-04-2005, 01:39 AM
After not buying a single album for so many years, today i finally upgraded my Fixx collection to CD.
So, today (thanks to Amazon) i got:

Ink
Walkabout
React
One thing, greatest hits
Elemental
1011 Woodland
Happy landings
Want that life
Calm animals
Phantoms
Reach the beach
Shuttered room
Ultimate collection

$250...but worth every cent...cd's usually cost $35 each here
Am looking forward to there arrival.

Fluxus
03-07-2005, 01:28 PM
oK...i have Calm Animals and Missing Links and the vinyl that had Acrobat on it. What's the next Fixx album I should purchase???

Steve Pariseau
03-08-2005, 11:06 AM
If those are the only ones you have I would suggest Reach The Beach, Phantoms, and Want That Life.

Fluxus
03-08-2005, 04:18 PM
...in that order? All right...I'm on ebay right now and will migrate to Amazon as needed. Most excellent!

Steve Pariseau
03-31-2005, 08:10 PM
My last CD purchase (as Alannah had suggested in two different threads) was Keane - Hopes And Fears.

I bought it because the price was right. $9.99 at Best Buy.
I was hoping to explore new ground with this CD that I bought knowing absolutely nothing about them. However, they are essentially Coldplay except with a cross between Bono, Freddy Mercury, and Thom Yorke on vocals.

It's good music though so I think I'll keep it.

Alannah86
04-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
However, they are essentially Coldplay except with a cross between Bono, Freddy Mercury, and Thom Yorke on vocals.

It's good music though so I think I'll keep it.

Interesting comparison Steve, many critics over here have compared them to Coldplay also. Personally, I do not think they sound like them at all. Though, I suppose they play similar style music.
I love Hope & Fears. It's beautiful. Never thought I would ever like a band that lacks guitars! But somehow they manage to get away with it.

Steve Pariseau
04-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Alannah86
...Never thought I would ever like a band that lacks guitars!

No guitars eh? I hadn't even noticed. The DO get away with it as the music is still pretty good.

SilentGeoff
04-01-2005, 07:56 AM
I really like "Somewhere Only We Know" from Keane but haven't heard the whole CD yet. I may have to break down and buy it sometime in the near future.

My most recent purchase is Everclear's "Slow Motion Daydream". Really didn't care for it so it's up for sale now.

Geoff

Fluxus
04-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Still on my "replace my tapes" kick...I've just purchased Modern English - After the Snow...

heimo
04-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Morrissey - Live at Earls Court (from London on the 18th of December 2004). It's good to here songs like "Bigmouth strikes again" or "There is a light that never goes out" again...

I like them and it's a little peace of the 80's too.

heimo
04-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Morrissey - Live at Earls Court (from London on the 18th of December 2004). It's good to here songs like "Bigmouth strikes again" or "There is a light that never goes out" again...

I like them and it's a little piece of the 80's too.

Fluxus
04-25-2005, 09:27 AM
I've had a little bit of CD buying obsession as of late...my most recent purchases:

Cause & Effect - Trip
Kruder & Dorfmeister - Conversions
Sugar - Copper Blue (to replace the one I left in a rental car in Mpls...)
The Fixx - Reach the Beach
Holiday Ranch - Self Titled
Caviar - Self Titled
Jesus Jones - Doubt

preciousstone75
05-11-2005, 10:59 AM
nothing safe

alice in chains

coming on the heels of going through what I already have by them. Now, on to the elusive MusicBank that's so hard to find here!

and even though this isn't a cd, I got Journey's Greatest Hits on dvd. . . this includes a song called when you love a woman. Steve Perry and Neal Schon look incredible in it. All those guys aged well. Jon Cain looks better with shoulderlength hair! But Steve Perry made me think of my ancestors when I saw what he looked like. Kick ***! Most of the vids are concert footage. They are still the shizznit!

Jeanne Thelen
05-11-2005, 11:18 AM
I just had that cd in my hands the other day( Journey's greatest hits)
Now I wish I would have bought it!!!!!!!!!!!

preciousstone75
05-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Jeanne Thelen
I just had that cd in my hands the other day( Journey's greatest hits)
Now I wish I would have bought it!!!!!!!!!!!

unless it's a remaster (mine was done in'88), it should have these tracks:

Only the Young
Don't Stop Believing
Open Arms
Lights
Anyway You Want It
Separate Ways
Faithfully
Send Her My Love
Wheel in The Sky
I'll Be Alright Without You
Be Good To Yourself
Who's Crying Now
Girl Can't Help It
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'

damn! brainfreeze! I can't think of the last track now!!! But it's worth it!

oh, here's the last track-

Ask The Lonely. . .

Pick up that dvd though- cuz' it's got songs that aren't on the cd version and they all kick ***! glad to be of cosmic assistance!

Jeanne Thelen
05-11-2005, 06:02 PM
That was the one, Prec....

I think I will go back and buy it .. because .....

A strange thing happened that makes me think it is destiny ...

that night As I was walking around with the cd in my hand... I was thinking about my friend, Maria, as Journey was her favorite band .....and of course .. the Fixx was(is ) mine.... it was about 7:15 pm...

I get home and there is a message from Maria(She lives in TX) and she said... "Hey.. I am out for a walk ..listening to my new 'the Fixx greatest hits' Cd and of course I am thinking of you... it is 7:15 pm.....give me a call when you get home......."

Weird... SPOOKY weird ...

and Now ... You bring it up on the board.. I think the hands of fate are telling me I'd better get it ...:) ;)

Steve Pariseau
05-12-2005, 08:15 PM
As per various recommendations here on the board I picked up..

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Thorns meets the Kinks - I like it. really only one or two songs that I don't care for. The rest is solid.

The Killers - Cool poppy alt rock. Lots of 80s influences.

The Shins - Oh, Inverted World - so many people told me I would like these guys and they were right. Pretty good stuff. Kinda REM meets Brian Wilson.

The Shipping News Soundtrack - Awesome!

SilentGeoff
05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Nine Inch Nails ~ "With Teeth" -- IMHO the best total collection Trent Reznor has put together...bar none. I have listened to this CD the whole way through at least 10 times now and have yet to feel the need to skip a single song on it.

Jethro Tull ~ "A" -- Alot of Tull fans told me not to get this set saying it was a "weak at best" offering. I myself like the addition of Eddie Jobson to the mix and while overall it would have been better served as the Ian Anderson solo LP it was supposed to be...I still like it.

Queen ~ "Live Killers" -- I hated this set when it came out on LP years ago...thought the band did too much overdubbing and it just wasn't up to what I would have expected from Queen. After picking it up on the cheap on CD...my opinion still hasn't changed.

preciousstone75
05-19-2005, 07:07 AM
The Essential Journey

a 32 song double cd set featuring the greatest hits as well as concert faves- I wanted to hear Feeling That Way on it, but I still think it rocks. For those of us who don't have Trial By Fire, there are about four songs from it included in this set as well as After the Fall (which is one of THE most kickass tunes ever!) from Frontiers. When I went looking for Time 3, they didn't have it in stock OR Trial By Fire. Imagine how pissed I was. FYE, you need to carry this. I had gone there to purchase the Fixx before, but after I had asked for it, they started carrying them. Hopefully this time they'll do the same.

Wilkie UK
05-19-2005, 08:20 AM
I've just purchased 5 Toto, limited edition remastered cds, from Japan. Sony Japan remastered all of the first 7 albums, but I only scored 5 of the 7 :(

SilentGeoff
05-19-2005, 08:34 AM
I've just purchased 5 Toto, limited edition remastered cds, from Japan. Sony Japan remastered all of the first 7 albums, but I only scored 5 of the 7 :(

What ones did you get?

I have "Toto", "Hydra", "IV" & "Isolation" of the original Full-length CDs and 2 of the collections {"A Rock and Roll Band" & "Past To Present 1977 - 1990"}. On top of that I have burns of 3 of the other CDs {"Fahrenheit", "Turn Back", "Kingdom Of Desire"}.

darkman
05-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Prefab Sprout - "The Collection" - Excellent, Steely Dan-ish jazz-pop. Imagine the Dream Academy gone loungy.

Steve Diggle - "Serious Contender" - Hit & miss, plodding; a let down, since his last solo album was consistently solid.

The Devlins - "Waves" - Great new album! Less atmospherics this time, more straight ahead rock.

heimo
05-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Extreme - III Sides to every story

It's from 1992 but it still sounds powerfull and fresh.

"Rest in peace" , "politicalamity" and "tragic comic" are great!

stratboy
05-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Extreme III is a great album. That band got killed by their biggest hit, "More Than Words". They were never able to move beyond it, commerically. They rocked.

Last 3 CDs: BLS - Mafia, Megadeth - The System Has Failed, Cheap Trick - Woke Up With A Monster.

preciousstone75
05-24-2005, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by stratboy
Extreme III is a great album. That band got killed by their biggest hit, "More Than Words". They were never able to move beyond it, commerically. They rocked.

Last 3 CDs: BLS - Mafia, Megadeth - The System Has Failed, Cheap Trick - Woke Up With A Monster.

Megadeth! Hmm, I'm not the only fan of Dave here now! Have plans to get that one soon.

Alannah86
05-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Just purchased the debut album from Kasabian. Don't know if you guys are familiar with this band at all in the states? They're from Leicester. Absolutely fantastic.

dejapete
06-04-2005, 06:58 PM
My high school reunion is coming up. I bought some nostalgic albums: Greatest hits by Eagles and Three Dog Night. Super Sessions with Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, and Steve Stills.

Sorry Allanah. We didn't listen to techno rock back then. That came later.

Oh yes. A country music collection that includes Wade Hayes. I think he's great. Would love to see him in concert someday.

shora65
06-05-2005, 07:07 AM
Thanks, dejapete...
It's so nice to hear someone else say that they appreciate country. Wade Hayes is great, and so many country artists are wonderful in concert, though I've never had the pleasure of hearing Hayes live.

The last cd's I bought (if I skip the Antigone Rising cd ...a fairly new all girl group, heavy on the acoustic guitar, vocal harmonies and some awesome percussion... they're country sounding at many points) were two of Depeche Mode (Violator and Music for the Masses) ... I couldn't believe I still was using my old worn out cassettes! Gosh, I love those guys...

dejapete
06-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks. And I found out that Wade Hayes' Old Enough to Know Better is out of print. Still available, though.

He's like Brad Paisley but you don't need an expensive ticket to see him.

And you gotta love these song lines:

Monday morning I wake up
With a hammer in my hand
The boss-man yelling something at me
That I don't understand
I don't know how I got to work
But I sure know I'm there
I'm old enough to know better
But I'm still too young to care

Never got into Depeche Mode. Probably because my youthful musical impression period pre-dated the techno stuff. But I DO like The Fixx.

Checked out Antigone Rising. Not bad... I think if you like Melissa Etheridge, you would like this band.

BTW. Antigone was the daughter of Oedipus and I guess his mother.

I dunno. That mythology is all Greek to me.

Oh Yes! I forgot I also bought a Trick Pony album. They played in La Crosse 2000 and 2002, and I didn't go. Man, I'm getting sore from kicking myself so much.

preciousstone75
09-29-2005, 10:56 AM
I just picked up Iron Maiden's Edward the Great at FYE last night. I am happy to say that it effin' rocks! Run to the Hills kicks it off some kinda awesome, and by the time you get to Wasted Years, you've got the volume cranked all the way up!!!! It also features a live version of 2 Minutes to Midnight from the Rock in Rio concert in 2001. A worthwhile investment for the cursory Maiden fan, and something easy to carry for the hardcore Maiden fan.

:cheers:

oh yeah. . . back in August I picked up Demon Days by Gorillaz. The entire cd is a pure soundscape of enjoyment. There are no two tracks alike; I haven't seen a cd with so many styles on it EVER!!! It's schweet!!!:goodie:

Steve Pariseau
10-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Ok, I'm not big on hip hop but...

Black Eyed Peas - Monkey Business is a GREAT album!!

Picked it up a couple weeks ago and am just now playing it. High energy POP done RIGHT. Clean too (except for the song about butts and ****, and my son says "you should see the video Dad!)) .

I just can't take this CD out of the player. Been spun up 5 times now and I just LOVE it!!

msmith1
10-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Last one I picked up was "Guero" by Beck. I hear alot of mixed feelings about this CD, from people I know. I happen to like it...it's no "Odelay", but I prefer it over "Mellow Gold", "Midnight Vultures", and "Sea Change."
I do like "Deadweight" off the soundtrack for that Ewan McGregor/Cameron Diaz flick...but that could be partly for the killer art statement video on that one. I so get the Andy Warhol and Al Hansen visual references and absurdity influences. IMO, Beck has some of the best videos, especially when handled by Mark Romanek. Well, anyway...I like his music, and have the CD collection.

Kim:)

preciousstone75
10-26-2005, 07:04 AM
I just picked up Iron Maiden's Edward the Great at FYE last night. I am happy to say that it effin' rocks! Run to the Hills kicks it off some kinda awesome, and by the time you get to Wasted Years, you've got the volume cranked all the way up!!!! It also features a live version of 2 Minutes to Midnight from the Rock in Rio concert in 2001. A worthwhile investment for the cursory Maiden fan, and something easy to carry for the hardcore Maiden fan.

oh yeah. . . back in August I picked up Demon Days by Gorillaz. The entire cd is a pure soundscape of enjoyment. There are no two tracks alike; I haven't seen a cd with so many styles on it EVER!!! It's schweet!!!:goodie:

My bad on the Maiden cd. . . that would be Fear of the Dark live, and it kicks ***!!!!!!!!! Steve, the Black Eyed Peas rock period! Big ups for picking up Monkey Business, and you should check out Elephunk as well!

Gooo
10-26-2005, 08:19 AM
I have waaay too many cd's so I have limited my (addiction) buying of music a bit. But when I do go to the local 'record' shop, I never seem to walk out with just one buy. All were a good get!

The Finn Brothers - Everyone Is Here
Hunters & Collectors - Mutations :thumbsup:
Suede - Suede
Billy Idol - Charmed Life

Steve Pariseau
10-26-2005, 09:55 AM
... Steve, the Black Eyed Peas rock period! Big ups for picking up Monkey Business, and you should check out Elephunk as well!

Oh Preshy, you should now by now I already have Elephunk as well as Bridging The Gap.:D

shoeman
11-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Last thing I got: Garbage "Version 2.0" Good hard-hitting stuff. It rocks the Shoeman's world.

Steve Pariseau
11-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Isn't that an awesome album shoeman?
I just love 2.0.

shoeman
11-11-2005, 08:12 AM
You bet, Steve. Tracks like Push It, Temptation Waits, and I Think I'm Paranoid are so energetic. Meanwhile, I'm trying to find out if Garbage has broken up or if they are just taking a brief hiatus. I saw two different reports but wasn't able to save the link on either one.

Steve Pariseau
11-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Garbage just released a new album this year. It's called Bleed Like Me. They even toured in support of it. They may still be touring outside the U.S. You'll have to peek at their website for more info on that.

dee
11-14-2005, 05:20 AM
the last cd i purchased was greenday's american idiot and alice cooper's new cd also coldplay a rush of blood to the head one of my favorites oh and also michael mcdonald's motown 2 i already have all the fixx cd's lol dee from buffalo:wave:

dejapete
12-03-2005, 12:13 PM
I recently purchased The Corrs Live in Dublin. Good light rock with solid songs.

I also got Neil Young's Harvest. It was big when I was in high school, and it's a classic today.

Cyn_in_DC
12-03-2005, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dees
[B]the last cd i purchased was greenday's american idiot and alice cooper's new cd also coldplay a rush of blood to the head one of my favorites oh and also michael mcdonald's motown 2 i already have all the fixx cd's lol dee from buffalo:wave:

Wow, Alice Cooper! I hope you are enjoying the Green Day! I just picked up the Bullet in a Bible DVD. :D

Presh, you like Iron Maiden?!?! You are just way too cool! I loved that album with Wasted Years...

Steve, you don't like the song about "my lovely lady lumps, in the back and in the front!" LOL!! Not my fave either but ya can dance to it!

I just picked up Bauhaus' Crackle and Peter Murphy's Wild Birds. Other recent pruchases are Melissa Auf Der Maur, and Cake's Comfort Eagle.

fotolinda
12-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Deja- I just had my high school reunion last Saturday. It was my job to find everyone. Not easy with a class of 525. I found 304.

Cyn- love LOVE LOVE Peter Murphy. I own everything, and some Bauhaus too.

My last two bought: Fiona Apple's latest and Depeche Mode's latest.

dejapete
12-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by fotolinda
Deja- I just had my high school reunion last Saturday. It was my job to find everyone. Not easy with a class of 525. I found 304.

That's great! People like you are a treasure. We have a person who organizes our high school reunions, and she's wonderful.

I recently got John Mayer Trio Try!

Check out his live video, "City Love" at Yahoo! music. It's awesome. I found it in a search using Windows Media Player.

fotolinda
12-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by dejapete
That's great! People like you are a treasure. We have a person who organizes our high school reunions, and she's wonderful.

It was a labor of love. This was our 20th. We hadn't had one since our 10th (which I didn't attend). I would spend the extra time while waiting for photos to come in to just search the Internet for people. Also got our researcher to use Lexis Nexis. The darn thing is over and I'm still obsessing over the 124 I didn't find!! :)

preciousstone75
12-06-2005, 11:00 AM
let's see. . .

The Best of Cameo I purchased in the middle of November along with the Millenium Collection of Tears for Fears. Then I was on to The Essential Daryl Hall and John Oates with a Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits chaser on November 30th. On Friday I picked up that new set by the Lep, the one with 2 cds, essential Lep for the new fan or easy to carry for the heavy hitter!

fixxfanatic
12-06-2005, 08:46 PM
"Meltdown" by ICEHOUSE
What an incredible treat!
It is HOT

Fluxus
12-13-2005, 03:14 PM
well, santa went to Virgin and will be placing Peter Gabriel, Interpol's Antics Remixes, and INXS's latest in a certain good boy's stocking...

xxif
12-19-2005, 04:30 PM
I haven't bought many new 2005 releases this year,but those that I have managed to procure over the last couple of months are the following:

"Witching Hour"- Ladytron (best album I've heard all year!)
"Tender Buttons"- Broadcast (not their best,but still really good)
"The Woods"- Sleater-Kinney (probably the best "rock album" this year)

And I've purchased a few old favorites on C.D. as well:

"Blind"- The Sundays
"Tales of Mystery and Imagination:Edgar Allan Poe"- Alan Parsons Project
"Cafe Bleu"- The Style Council
"Murmur"- R.E.M.
"The Dream of The Blue Turtles"- Sting

And I've gotten access to some of my roommates newest superb finds:

"Man Mountain"- Blue States (2002)
"The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady"- Charles Mingus (1963)
"604"(2001) and "Light and Magic"(2002)- Ladytron
"Le Tigre"- Le Tigre (1999)
"Out to Lunch"- Eric Dolphy (1964)

ALL GREAT STUFF!!

Steve Pariseau
12-19-2005, 06:54 PM
I just picked up Get Behind Me Satan by The White Stripes.

Damn! It's good. An elemental and raw return to rock's roots.

msmith1
12-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi Steve!

You did get a good one!
Heard an interview with them on NPR not long ago, and picked it up, too.

Recently picked up "The All American Rejects", first CD (self-titled)...really like it--very pop, upbeat--now think I'm going to go get the new 2nd one.

Also keeping an eye out for Beck's dance remix CD coming out "Guerolito."

Kim

Cyn_in_DC
12-19-2005, 08:26 PM
I majorly binged at Tower Records.com and just received in the mail today:

Should the World Fail to Fall Apart - Peter Murphy

Holy Smoke - Peter Murphy

and

Dust - yes, by Peter Murphy... :love:

:help:

PS fotolinda, how's that new Depeche Mode?! I saw a new video the other day & it seemed decent> How's the album as a whole?

fotolinda
12-20-2005, 05:04 AM
Love Holy Smoke, altho Deep is my favorite. Dust is good too. Love Hysteria is my second fave.

The new Depeche is good. I missed them in concert a couple of weeks ago at the Patriot Center, darnit! I saw them the last time they were here playing with Poe at Merriweather. THAT was a great show! I think I'm liking the album more as I continue to play it.

FLuxus- how's the new INXS? I own everything else by them, should I get it?

Cyn_in_DC
12-20-2005, 07:47 AM
I am kind of sorry I missed Depeche Mode too when they were here. I think TaraLyn went though. Maybe she can post a review somewhere. TL?!

xxif
12-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Anybody here by chance have "Illinois" by Sufjan Stevens? Evidently,it's a hell of an album,because it's topping year-end "critic's polls" like crazy. Apparently,it's THE indie album of the year. Rolling Stone gave it 4 stars,and Pitchfork put it at the top of their year-end poll. I've only heard a few tracks from it. They sounded pretty good,especially "Chicago"(a gorgeous tune!).

It's a concept album covering all that is associated with the state of Illinois. Apparently,Sufjan Stevens is undertaking the immense(if not impossible) task of doing a "concept/theme album" for every American state! Two years ago he did a "Michigan" album. I guess he's presently 30 years old,so if he releases one every 2 years,Stevens will be around 130 years old or so by the time he covers the entire country. If he stays healthy who knows,huh? :D

Anyways,I think I'll pick it up soon and check it all out for myself.

The Queen
12-23-2005, 09:06 AM

It's a concept album covering all that is associated with the state of Illinois.

I've lived in IL, can't imagine a whole album dedicated to it. :confused:

shoeman
12-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Just picked up----A Flock Of Seagulls "Very Best Of." And also Paul Oakenfold "Bunkka." Final two purchases for 2005. Counting the days until Jan. 24th, 2006 and the release of the 25th Anniversary Anthology........

preciousstone75
01-17-2006, 10:53 AM
thin lizzy a little phil lynott was in order for the weekend, so I found this little gem at FYE for 13 bucks! first track is jailbreak, and the whole set is live. was originally done in '78, remastered for disk. nice!:idea:

dejapete
01-20-2006, 06:43 AM
I got the Police boxed set for $15!

heimo
01-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Nine Horses - the new project from David Sylvian.
Cd is called Snow Borne Sorrow.

Some of the musicians on that CD are his brother Steve Jansen, Burnt Friedman, Stina Nordenstam (Voices) and Ryuichi Sakamoto (piano)

Inkblot
01-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Recently, I bought Shuttered Room, Phantoms, and React from Target.com. I have yet to receive them in the mail, though.

rockerchic
01-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Recently purchased for others:
To Hubby - Coldplay - "A Rush of Cold Blood to the Head"
To Sister - Duran Duran - "Astronaut" and "Decade"
To Parents - "Jersey Boys Soundtrack" (hence my name Sherri came from Frankie Valli's "Sherry")

preciousstone75
01-23-2006, 07:20 AM
Old School- Styx's Greatest Hits
I was happy to buy this one, being I'm a big fan of Styx! Only thing wrong with this one is that Snowblind isn't on it! Otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Crystal Ball after all these years. . .

New Jack- Disturbed's Believe
Yep, this one was found a few sections over, but hey, it got picked up too! Naturally, I've been blasting Liberate all over the house (much to the chagrin of Moms and the boy!). However this one is an enhanced version of the original- it features the video to Prayer as well!

kick ***! Listening to Styx's Show Me the Way right now. . . not bad for a Monday morning. . .

fotolinda
01-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Meant to mention, being the 80s buff that I am-

Got Left of the Dial for Hannukah- great cd set!

Can see it here on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002XL2X4/sr=1-1/qid=1138036329/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6756443-7771123?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

preciousstone75
01-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by fotolinda
Meant to mention, being the 80s buff that I am-

Got Left of the Dial for Hannukah- great cd set!

Can see it here on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002XL2X4/sr=1-1/qid=1138036329/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6756443-7771123?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

I peeped this same set last night at Wally World (Walmart)! I almost picked it up!

SilentGeoff
02-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Red Hot + Dance - A Benefit For AIDS Research And Relief

Not bad....George Michael's stuff on here is really good and the Seal song Crazy remix kicks *** plus any collection that remixes Sly & The Family Stone is alright by me....

Frehley's Comet ~ Ace Frehley

Not as good as I remember it from my youth....still a few good tunes on here....

Themes ~ Vangelis

Previously unreleased movie music and other stuff too....worth it just for his music from Bladerunner but this is a really good collection....

Copperhead Road ~ Steve Earle

My favorite set from this artist....the title cut alone would have been worth the price but there are so many other great tracks here. Snake Oil, Back To the Wall and The Devil's Right Hand are among my favorites....but truth be told I could listen to this set 24/7....

Inkblot
02-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Finally received Shuttered Room, Phantoms, and React about a week or two ago, and listened to them in that order. Needless to say, they were worth every cent and gift card credit! :love:

Now I gotta pay back my Mom before I can order any more CDs...

dejapete
02-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Inkblot
Finally received Shuttered Room, Phantoms, and React about a week or two ago, and listened to them in that order. Needless to say, they were worth every cent and gift card credit! :love:

Way to go, Inkblot!

Would you believe I don't have React?

Recently got boxkar. A Fox Cities band that played before The Fixx in Milwaukee last year. The more I listen, the more I like them.

Most recently, REWIND (1971 - 1984), an out of print Rolling Stones album. Got it for about $7 including shipping on Ebay.

edited for spelling

fotolinda
02-04-2006, 08:15 AM

Would you believe I don't have React?

I have React but only on cassette. I don't own it on cd... Strange but true! I think I own everything else on cd...

Steve Pariseau
02-23-2006, 07:15 PM
I just picked up Rob Dickinson's new album Fresh Wine For The Horses.

It is nothing short of AWESOME!

Rob Dickinson was the frontman for Catherine Wheel. Fixxation and SilentGeoff would absolutely love this album as you both already know how well Catherine Wheel comes across.

Rob's new album is a tad more mellow than any Catherine Wheel album but to me that shows strength and growth. Rather than hiding behind a wall of sound he pulls out the acoustic, voice up front, some piano, and all Catherine Wheel members DO contribute to the album in some way.

Fresh Wine For The Horses - Great album - Get it now!!

Superb artwork concept too

Inkblot
02-25-2006, 11:34 AM
I just put Walkabout into my Amazon.com cart. God willing, I'll be able to actually purchase it in a few days...I NEED THAT CD!!

Next, I'll work towards Elemental and Calm Animals.

dejapete
02-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Inkblot. Let us know what you think of Walkabout. It's an out of print album. Yet it has some strong songs. It's a slick recording, with a good mix of all the players. Yet it kind of disappeared into obscurity.

Inkblot
03-01-2006, 05:12 PM
The bad news is, I wasn't able to get it off of Amazon. :tdown:

The good news is, I was able to get it off of eBay!! :tup:

All paid for and everything. I squealed with delight when I saw it - and it said it was in good condition, with all the inserts and stuff intact (which is good, because I'm collecting the Fixx CDs for aesthetic value as well as for the songs). Inky is one happy girl. :love:

Steve Pariseau
03-01-2006, 07:35 PM
I bought the Doves album The Last Broadcast.

It's pretty good.

I hear The Shins, Coldplay and Radiohead buried in their influence.

msmith1
03-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Just ran out, bought and mailed off the self-titled first Cd by The All American Rejects to my guy (sigh)...our song "My Paper Heart" is on it.:love:

Kim:)

shoeman
03-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Latest entries in the CD collection......

Crazy Town-----"The Gift Of Game"

Geri Halliwell-----"Schizophonic"

Being serenaded from different ends of the spectrum.

Inkblot
03-19-2006, 11:03 PM
I still haven't received that copy of Walkabout...

...but chances are, if I complain about it now, it'll show up on my doorstep tomorrow. Because fate loves to watch me eat crow.

:laugh:

Steve Pariseau
03-20-2006, 06:54 PM
David Gilmour - On An Island

It should come with a warning label. Do not drive or operate heavy equipment while listening to this album.

Some great guitar work as epected, but it could never be confused with a rocking album.

mizfixx
03-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Yup, I gotta agree with you about that Steve. I got his first solo album when it first came out. I really love it but it doesn't get my blood pumping...;)

Catching up on some oldies, just got Pink Floyd-Final Cut: underrated, very good, but extremely depressing.

And, The Pretenders- Learning To Crawl.

Inkblot
03-29-2006, 06:41 AM
Guess what I finally got...

Walkabout!!!

I LOVE this album. My favorite songs (besides the obvious fave of mine, "Secret Separation") are "Camphor," "Read Between the Lines," and "Built for the Future." It's now my second favorite Fixx album so far (Shuttered Room is my fave).

:love: :cool:

dejapete
04-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Does your copy have the bonus song? It's added onto track 10 after "Camphor".

After reading the disparaging review that Rolling Stone published, I gave Walkabout a new listen. It's now one of my favorite Fixx albums.

Inkblot
04-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Does your copy have the bonus song? It's added onto track 10 after "Camphor".

Yep. It's there. :)

Johninpittsburg
04-02-2006, 06:04 AM
If if wasn't for half price book store I wouldn't have a c.d. collection

and the latest purchase was the extended versions by THE FIXX

Even the Judges Kneel and Pray

Steve Pariseau
04-02-2006, 10:18 AM
I bought a CD by Zack Hexum called The Story So Far. Zack is the brother of the lead singer of 311. Zack sounds nothing like 311 though. Zack has heavy influences from the Kinks, The Beatles, Tal Bachman, and he sounds VERY much like Duncan Sheik except his songs are much more interesting and rocking.

The right price too. It was only like $8 on his website and I was able to pay with PayPal.

Excellent album.
I recommend it.

SilentGeoff
04-04-2006, 06:59 AM
I finally got the CD by Sniff 'N The Tears Fickle Heart

Includes my favorites Driver's Seat [the group's only US hit], New Lines On Love, Rock 'N' Roll Music [in original and early versions] & The Thrill Of It All. Along with this it also includes the previously unreleased Morocco Bound which is a pretty good track by itself. For some reason I hear alot of Al Stewart in Paul Roberts voice.....could just be me.....

preciousstone75
04-04-2006, 08:15 AM
I didn't buy it, but had a copy burned from a friend (:shh:!)! She only charged me three bucks for the cd (not the music!!! Had to buy one to record it on!) and I love it! I know you all got tired of me talking about Nicole Scherzinger, but dayum, that girl can sing! She can (in best country drawl) "sang!!":goodie: :D

fotolinda
04-05-2006, 12:20 PM
I just got "Unshattered" by Peter Murphy and "Cruel and Gentle Things" by Charlie Sexton. I love all of Charlie's old stuff that I had to hear newer stuff. Still listening so I can't give a review yet.

dejapete
05-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Ryehollow: hearts like these

Waiting for the USPS to deliver it. It is the result of high school assignment where songwriters had to find local musicians to play their songs. One collaboration resulted in Ryehollow, which has had heavy airplay from a Portland, Oregon radio station.

Dixie Chicks: Taking the Long Way

I've been listening to it on CMT.com. It's more pop/rock sounding then any of their previous albums. Should I buy it? Still not sure. Sounds good, but rather monotonous for me.

dee
06-04-2006, 03:13 PM
oddly enough my hubby bought me the new sabres songs cd thursday night the 7th game we had to win to play edmonton to win the stanley cup! we lost i have not playeed the cd yet lol! i thought four sure we were gonna go all the way this time especially with ryan miller our goalie. well the money goes for charity so it is a good thing and i will listen to the cd when i am less depressed about it dee:tdown:

TatGirl
06-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Latest Cd we bought was Cy's Mayfly...do I LOVE it??? Yes, that is a definite YES!! It's so very different from the Fixx's style(s), yet because the Fixx isn't locked into any one style, it's so very like. Mayfly isn't all the same sounding, either...each song is unique. Didn't know what to expect, but I'm very happy to have found it...in a used record shop, USED...$5.00!! Talk about not being able to believe it! Couldn't believe anyone would sell it to a used shop, the weirdo (to be kind), but our fortune!!

The actual last music we bought, though, was from a guy selling a HUGE collection of vinyl!! Got quite a selection - Joan Baez, Iron Butterfly ('Ball' not 'Innagadda da vida' - already have that one, an oldie but an awesome favorite goodie!!), Monkees, Wings, Beach Boys, Marshall Crenshaw, Joe Cocker, Bread, Disney's Happiest Songs (yeah I know, but my sis had it when we were kids), Paul Revere and the Raiders, Beatles, The Police, and John Denver). Yes, we have VERY eclectic tastes in music...listen to a little of most everything.

shoeman
06-16-2006, 08:48 PM
1. Jesus Jones "Doubt" (1991).
These guys can flat-out rock. Included on this disc is their hit song Right Here, Right Now.

2. The Shoes "Stolen Wishes" (1989).
Now how could I resist this one?
This group sounds kinda like Air Supply, but with a little more *punch*. But they do sound good. Do a great job of playing their instruments.

3. Another copy of "Walkabout"
You can never have too many.......

Steve Pariseau
07-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Every now and then I buy a CD on a whim. Perhaps a band that I know very little about but heard good things or maybe something I read a good review of in the paper or music magazines (NOT Rolling Stone mind you).

Anyway, I picked up Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and I have to say that this two disc set with 28 songs is KILLER! Despite having SO MANY tracks it never loses it's punch and doesn't get boring. This is my first RHCPs album (aside from a burn of a friends Californication CD) and I'm impressed well enough to delve deeper into their catalog.

How come nobody ever told me these guys rocked?

Or, maybe they did and I just wasn't listening.

Inkblot
07-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Ah, the Red Hot Chili Peppers...one of my favorite bands. They really do rock. :)

TatGirl
07-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Lucked into a like-new condition used copy of Walkabout on ebay...for 1!! Paid a bit more for faster shipping...

First time I've heard it...yeah, I may have gotten "permanently FIXXed" but I'm still a virgin :eek: about some of their work.....:shh:

I really like it, and am having alot of fun discovering more than their chart hits...funny thing is, I like some of their songs that never made radio play much more than the familiar tunes.

Thanks Cy, Jamie, Adam, Rupert, and Gary!!

TatGirl
:wave:

Diamond05
07-02-2006, 08:31 PM
the Kooks from Brighton, England- very garage ish almost Kinks like!

best thing ive heard in a while!

and the Boss Martians- from Seattle i think- The Set UP

if you like the ramones crossed with Elvis costello.

i seen em live 4 years ago and they are entergetic!

Steve Pariseau
01-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Perfume - The Story of a Murderer

Outstanding passages performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Simon Rattle with the State Choir Latvia

All yee who enjoy movie music I encourage to procure this gleeming gem.

dejapete
01-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Norah Jones
Not Too Late

It was released yesterday, and I saw it at Target for $10.

heimo
02-01-2007, 12:53 AM
It os always a mixture of old and new stuff. But it is always to much I guess...

Here are a few:

Spin doctors - Pocket full of Kryptonite

We are scientists - Crap Attack

Peter Green Splinter Group - Reaching the Cold 100

Duncan Sheik - Brighter / Later

Lemonheads - Lemonheads.

Some of them are nice price or second hand. If I don't like them I try to sell them on ebay.

preciousstone75
02-01-2007, 06:15 AM
My crazy self didn't even put when I purchased Mindcrime 2 and DL's Yeah!

Oops. . .

Since then, I have Amerie's Touch, Tyrese's Alter Ego (double cd and beyond sweet) and Ludacris' Release Therapy!

I know I got something else but can't think of it. . . oh yeah, Justin Timberlake's futuresex/lovesounds and the first release from Gorillaz. I've been rocking "my love" and "clint eastwood" to death!!!!!!!!!

shoeman
02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Got a few that were on my "wish list."

And they are:

1. Depeche Mode-----Ultra
2. No Doubt-----Rock Steady
3. Neil Young-----Harvest Moon
4. Pet Shop Boys-----Very

dee
02-01-2007, 05:18 PM
i just bought the latest nickelback cd and snow patrol also love them both dee:wave:

Steve Pariseau
02-01-2007, 08:04 PM
America - Here and Now

This two disc set has 12 new studio tracks on the first disc and a live session recorded for XM Radio broadcast on the second disc.

Great new music from these soft rock staples. Much better than their bland last album Human Nature.

Bash
02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Hooverphonic - Blue Wonder Power Milk

A song from that CD, Eden, is streaming on my MySpace page (http://www.myspace.com/debashmode).

http://www.bashful7.com/kitten.gif

heimo
02-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Bash
Hooverphonic - Blue Wonder Power Milk

A song from that CD, Eden, is streaming on my MySpace page (http://www.myspace.com/debashmode).

Great song, Bash. Because of listening to it on your myspace i bought this one too. I love it.

The Queen
02-02-2007, 06:07 AM
That's one of my alltime favorite Sarah Brightman songs from her Eden CD, and love to hear any version of the song. Here's a clip of it from youtube. I love the blend of rhythm and symphony, lots of musicians have used this technique and it can be hard to pull off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhd_UDSmSDM

Robert M
02-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Last ones I bought have been "Phantoms" by you-know-who, "Ear Candy" by Kings X and "Degradation Trip Vols. 1&2" by Jerry Cantrell.

Recent eMusic downloads have been great albums by Tito Puente and the Miles Davis Quintet. :)

Steve Pariseau
02-03-2007, 08:12 PM
The Shins - Wincing The Night Away

I know this album was discussed in the "what are you listening to?" thread but I'm putting my commentary here, now that I've listened to it all the way through.

Great 3rd album from these lads. I agree with Geoff that it is better than their prior two albums.

The album starts with a gentle hypnotic number that progresses to a quick beat.

Second track Australia sends a nod to Dexie's Midnight Runners. If the Beatles had ever used a banjo it may have gone like this.

Third song Pam Berry sends a nod to Radiohead.

Phantom Limb might as well have been performed by The Beach Boys with it's 60s shoreline atmosphere and soaring Wilson brothers harmonies.

Sea Legs has a percussive aura right out of Sterolab's Metronomic Underground.

Turn On Me reminds of the 60s british invasion style rock. The Kinks come to mind.

Black Wave is very much like a Dewey Bunell penned America tune.

Split Needles is very Fixx like, particularly of the Still Around sorts complete with Rupertish keys.

Girl Sailor = more Kinks.

Lot's of roots come apparent in The Shins new album Wincing The Night Away. The effort is solid and a joy to listen to. I consider these guys the "America of the Y2Ks" in that they could easily be the band that crops up endlessly from the soft rock genre for years to come.

xxif
02-03-2007, 09:00 PM
In light of the exciting news of The Police reuniting, I was doubly pleased to stumble upon an album I've been searching for high and low for lo these past 10 years or so since I last had a turn-table and playable vinyl albums, of which I had it on this specific format. The album in question, which I finally found on c.d. today (secondhand for only $7.95) is Andy Summers' 1988 :"Mysterious Barricades". Yyyyyeeeaaahhhh!!!! :goodie:

This is one of those specifically placed albums from a very particularly time in my life that became a major part of my personal life "soundtrack" (I associate it with my girlfriend at the time, regardless of the album's ironic implications in the title- or maybe not,because we DID eventually break-up; I think from her standpoint, quite mysteriously), and it's been bloody years since I last heard it.

This wonderful find has really made my day indeed. :)

Bash
02-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by The Queen
That's one of my alltime favorite Sarah Brightman songs from her Eden CD, and love to hear any version of the song. Here's a clip of it from youtube. I love the blend of rhythm and symphony, lots of musicians have used this technique and it can be hard to pull off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhd_UDSmSDM

Thanks, Your Majesty! I didn't know anyone had covered this tune. It's definitely my favorite Hooverphonic track. Nice to hear a different version. :)

The Queen
02-04-2007, 02:08 PM
You are very welcome Bash, I am a big fan of hers, and equally with The Fixx, which can be a strange mixx, but she fills that need for some pretty female music. Amazing thing about her, is that it is often like reading about The Fixx, English artists who are more known for what they sang 25 years ago, while their current work is more interesting. I would love to hear her duet with Cy, and they'd look good together too. When pigs fly, I guess.

shoeman
05-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Recently obtained:

1. "Pure Underground Electronica, Volume One"
This disc includes the work of five bands: AV, Secret Chimp, Monco, Q Link and BEC. A very funky and futuristic sound.

2. Midnight Oil-----"Earth And Sun And Moon"
Some nice old-school rock.

And oh yeah......

3. The Fixx-----"React"
Found one at a marked-down price.
Happy to support the cause.......

:tup:

Carrie
05-22-2007, 05:48 PM
ABBA: The Definitive Collection

preciousstone75
05-22-2007, 06:15 PM
The Best of Kansas, the Best of Foreigner, The Dutchess by Fergie, Black Eyed Peas' Monkey Business, The Best of Billy Squier

that's what I think I last loaded onto my hardrive. . .;)

The Queen
05-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I bought an Andreas Scholl CD for someone else on another forum, and am keeping it for myself.

Rain
05-27-2007, 12:53 PM
I just last week pre-ordered the new Crowded House cd. I'm waiting until I get it in hand to listen to it instead of sneaking a peek of the tracks on the web.

jim
05-27-2007, 02:59 PM
may rank only slightly behind The Fixx as my favorite singer/songwriters, I'm listening to Try Whistling This on my iPod right now.

Jim

Sydney
05-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Mr Hudson and the Library - A tale of two cities

and

Manic Street Preachers - Send away the tigers

Beached Male
07-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Cy Curnin - "Solar Minimum" was the last one, and only one in months.

I'm especially posting to revive this thread.
BM

Jeanne Thelen
07-24-2009, 08:59 PM
The Best of The Cure

And I am LOVING IT!!!

It has my two most favorite songs... Lovesong and A Forest...

It has not left my CD player for a week :)

Cary C-Troll
07-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Last purchase online: Solar Minimum
Last bought in store: INXS Best Of ($6.99- unreal- *?*) well if they're giving them away...

I've been listening to The Cure: Staring at the Sea/The Singles, too:tup: though had it for years now (A Forest & Charlotte Sometimes)

Diamond05
07-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Steve Vai - BOX Set

Peter Gabriel's Big Blue Ball

The Church- Untitled #23

Mary Gauthier -Genesis (The Early Years)

Elvis Costello - Secret, Profane & Sugar Cane

Wayne "the Train" Hancock - Viper of Melody

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings 3 discs

Echo and the Bunnymen - B-Sides and Live (2001-2005) iTunes

James McMurtry - Childish Things

Colin Hay- Transcendental Highway

IT - Departure

Steve Kilbey- Dabble

Johnny Cash -REMIXED... interesting rap/dance arrangements, (i like most of em too!)

dejapete
07-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Howard Jones
Dream Into Action

It's out of print, but I got a used CD for $1.50. One of my all time favorites from the 80s.

Anything new, I download these days, unless it's from an artist I truly support.

fixxed
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Bought and received (and thoroughly enjoy): Cy Curnin, "Solar Minimum"

Bought and not yet received (I blame Canada Post): IT, "Departure"

Phil.

Robert M
07-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Most recent ones (i.e. since Solar Minimum) have been:

IT - Departure (highly recommended btw)
Black Crowes - The Lost Crowes
Chris Robinson - New Earth Mud
Lynch Mob - Lynch Mob