PDA

View Full Version : "Ink"

Mike Dillard
04-09-2000, 08:08 PM
Lately, the Fixx album I've been listening to the most is "Ink". Commercially, this album didn't get much airplay with the exception of "How Much is Enough". But I enjoy the music very much, filled with as much, if not more, emotion as any other Fixx album.

My favorite song from "Ink" is "Yesterday, Today". When Cy sings "higher ground", it gives me goosebumps. And Jamie gets more music out of one strum of the guitar than anyone else I know.

And now it can be had as a bargain. I bought two used CD's to give to friends who appreciate the Fixx. I got them at $6 at Wherehouse Music. And today, I checked out CDnow, and they offer "Ink" new for all of $5.49.

My advice, if you don't already own this album, get it. If you do own this album, then get an extra copy for a friend.

Jeanne Thelen
01-15-2005, 12:22 PM
okay... i swear that there was a thread out there discussining this cd ... but I can't find it!!!!

I just bought this cd, last weekend. I did not purchase it earlier, due to the disapointment and "bad Rap" comments that had been posted. But I have to say, that it may have been judged unfairly!! I have been listening to it non stop for a week and I have to say, I like it!!!!!!!!!! Outside of " all the best things" ( love the lyrics... but it is a bit to " bubble gum" for my taste) I do not think it is a bad cd,at all!!! A very good effort..considering what the band experienced making it!!!! I love "yesterday,today" .. The words and music just sweep me away. VERY VISIUAL!!! Clearly my favorite!!! Just thought I'd share and give some "whoo Hoo's " to the band!!

Alannah86
01-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Oddly enough I happen to be listening to Ink right at this moment! :eek:

There are many good songs, including Crucified, Yesterday, Today, Make No Plans and many others. I'm sure I've mentioned this somewhere else but the only song I honestly cannot listen to from this CD is Falling In Love. I think the reason is because I am not a romantic type of person when it comes to songs, but it is also the one song that was not written by the guys at all.

castaway
01-16-2005, 12:36 AM
This CD gets bashed from time to time, but I have always liked it. In fact, from beginning to end I believe it's their best overall. I remember when I first opened and listened to it, I couldn't believe how good those first few songs were. A good general theme about overindulgence and selfishness, and melodically sound. So why the bashing? Well, as the previous post said, Falling In Love was an aberration compared to other Fixx songs. And I've got to admit, despite the "pop" sound of All the Best Things, I still kinda like it. Yes, the album is somewhat a departure from other Fixx discs, but I like the fact that they took a chance to produce something different. After all, how many times does a critic or fan complain that a band has failed to change their sound because they didn't take a chance?

tenohtwo
01-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Here's a couple of older threads with lots of input on Ink:

http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2026

http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1438

Jim

Dave Romfoe
01-16-2005, 01:29 PM
I think 'Climb The Hill' is one of the most fun songs by The Fixx. Nice use of Adam's vocals, and then Cy singing the chorus.

Steve Pariseau
01-17-2005, 12:34 AM
And that's Jamie singing "To me you're inside out and upside down". Splendid use of three lead vocals.

Alannah86
01-17-2005, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
And that's Jamie singing "To me you're inside out and upside down". Splendid use of three lead vocals.

That's interesting Steve, I did wonder if it was him singing that bit. A very cool song.

Jeanne Thelen
01-17-2005, 10:18 AM
I thought that was Adam!!! :) VERY COOL!!!!

Crucified
01-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I love Ink. In my opinion it is their best cd ever. I have also played it to others (not hardcore fans) and they love it.

The best tracks are Crucified, Falling in Love, How Much is Enough, All is Fair, and No One has to Cry. I also love All the Best Things too. To me I love when bands experiment because you know no matter how hard they try to duplicate a past success it is never quite as good. Also, although I like some of the moodier songs I like the more upbeat songs like this cd has. I would have to say and I am a funny Fixx fan but I think Reach the Beach is their worst cd….too moody and the upbeat songs got overplayed on the radio. And who gives a damn if a song performed by the Fixx was written by the Fixx…a good song is a good song. It’s still them playing it and I am sure they had some input into how the songs sounded. Rupert Hine even made a return for this cd.

INK RULES!

deBASHmode
01-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Missed this thread before, but with the exception of a track or two, I also really enjoy Ink. It's not the rubbish it gets made out to be. I know Alannah and I love most of the same tracks - especially Yesterday, Today, Climb the Hill and Make No Plans. On the summer tour, you always got How Much is Enough and All is Fair, and sometimes even Shut it Out. It has some strong tunes on offer.

Jeanne Thelen
01-27-2005, 05:59 PM
I am still playing it non stop!!!! I LOVE Yesterday,Today.. and I agree with you completly Bash!!!

I also just picked Up The King Biscut cd .. It is Great!!! I love Kingdom Christsake!!!

Alannah86
01-28-2005, 01:47 AM
Speaking of my favourite Ink song, Yesterday, Today. I wonder if it's Jamie who sings the backing vocals? The bit that goes "yesterday was tomorrow" sounds like him anyway.

deBASHmode
01-28-2005, 10:52 AM
It does sound like Jamie, doesn't it?

Alannah86
01-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by deBASHmode
It does sound like Jamie, doesn't it?

It sure does Bash. I'd bet money on it, or a bottle of Jameson...LOL!

dejapete
01-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Is Ink available in stores anymore? I bought a CD copy a couple of years ago, but now I don't see it around, except places like Ebay.

I hadn't heard "Make No Plans" until I bought the CD. I like it. It not on my cassette.

Char
01-29-2005, 07:26 PM
dejapete, you can buy ink on amazon, but a new disc is expensive, or you can buy it on itunes--much more affordable--just the songs you'd like.

Jeanne Thelen
01-30-2005, 03:03 PM
I'd bet money on it, or a bottle of Jameson...LOL! :)

I'm listening to it right now... I'll take that bet!!!! Make mine a nice Merlot, though!!! It is Jamie, for sure!!!

This song is so AWESOME..LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! IT is so visiual and seems to be auto biographical.... Cy's vocals are UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!
Is it my understanding that Adam wrote the lyrics?????

Dejapete... you can find Ink at some used cd stores.. I picked mine up for $3.95... sadly underpriced!!!!

deBASHmode
01-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Yup, Adam's lyrics. Uniquely romantic. :)

Jeanne Thelen
01-30-2005, 03:39 PM
VERY ROMANTIC!!!!! SIGH.....

Steve Pariseau
02-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Sorry Geoff.
I just merged the two threads together.
Now your link doesn't work.
To read the post look at the FIRST post in this thread.

SilentGeoff
02-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
Sorry Geoff.
I just merged the two threads together.
Now your link doesn't work.
To read the post look at the FIRST post in this thread.

That's OK Steve....I just deleted my post so it's all good.

Geoff

Jeanne Thelen
02-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Okay... almost a month later... and it is STILL the first cd I am reaching for when I need my Fixx. WOW... did not thik anything would replace ELEMENTAL in my heart!!!! :)

SilentGeoff
02-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Jeanne Thelen
Okay... almost a month later... and it is STILL the first cd I am reaching for when I need my Fixx. WOW... did not thik anything would replace ELEMENTAL in my heart!!!! :)

I agree with you on this one Jeanne....If not "Ink" then I will pop in "Walkabout" I am really hooked on both of them now.

Geoff