PDA

View Full Version : Greetings Fixxtures

For unto ZeuS
02-16-2005, 01:18 PM
[SIZE=3]Hello Fixxtures,

I was lost and now I am found. Unlike London99, I loved Ink. {We are both from Ontario} by the way… If it were an LP I would have had to replace it twice. In fact I still enjoy it very much. The thing that struck me about the Fixx was that having come out of the era of “musicians using computerized means as a crutch” it was obvious that these guys were different.
A year or two after Ink I had heard that the guys were hanging it up. Cy was going into designing shoes or something like that. Needless to say I was saddened with the news and said my goodbyes. About 2 weeks ago I happened upon this site and like a brick in the head BLAM I noticed all I had been missing.
I loved their early work in it’s time but as musicians they have grown so much over the years. I don’t feel they have sold one ounce of their artistic integrity, just gotten even better at what they do, [Writing the most haunting music I have ever heard]. I have listened to a lot of music in the last 30 years and nothing keeps me coming back for more like the Fixx.
So I am very excited to hear everything they have been doing since Ink.
Diving right back in there, I purchased a copy of “Happy Landings and Lost Tracks” Wow! What can I say? Awesome
In closing I just want to say that it is a very few artists that can “do their thing on their own terms” and achieve the level of success that these guys have. REM comes to mind but I can’t think of many more. Congratulations Boys!!

Alannah86
02-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the board! Glad you found us. Liked your comment about them writing the most haunting music you have ever heard. I certainly agree with you. They are an amazing band.

pippi617
02-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Now you've got to get "Want That Life" - then "Stage One" - and then you'll be thoroughly FIXXated!!

Welcome aboard!!

Clive3
02-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Welcome My fellow fan :P... Make Yourself at home...

For unto ZeuS
02-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Can anyone help me in my quest to play catch-up? I'm wondering, from Ink to present, what each work represents ie: new studio recording, greatest hits collection, Live recording and so on.
I would like to catch up with the new studio works first. I know that their latest is a studio work but from there I am lost.
Thanx Fixxtures

deBASHmode
02-17-2005, 12:29 PM
You'll definitely want Elemental - it includes new recordings of some of the tracks on Happy Landings (which was originally a 5-song EP), plus some new songs.

Then there's Missing Links, which includes first demos of some of the Happy Landings/Elemental tracks. It's really cool to hear the evolution of a song like Going Without across the three discs. You'll also get rare tracks going all the way back to the beginning of the Fixx's career.

1011 Woodland is, in the main, a reworking of several classics and album tracks into acoustic or more organic and downtempo versions. Some of the songs really come into their own on 1011, and others are really good to hear in a different arrangements. The guys use some of the 1011 arrangements to shape their live arrangements these days. The DVD-A version of the disc has some videos and photos, artist commentary for each track, and a couple of funny easter eggs - it's worth tracking down in that format.

Stage One is available at shows and was recorded live in studio, without an audience or any overdubs or any sort of error correction. Warts and all rehearsals of the set list for their tour early last year. Guaranteed to make you drive faster when listening to it in your car. Fatal Shore (from Elemental) takes on a terrific edge and energy on this disc.

pippi617
02-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Don't forget "Want That Life"!!

For unto ZeuS
02-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanx Bash. That will help point my little toes in the right direction I'm sure.

I think my appetite for all things new is compelling me to purchase Want that Life first. I think I hunger for something new from the guys.
I really liked HL&LT.

If it ain't fixx, don't broke it.

deBASHmode
02-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Want that Life has some amazing musical moments on it - you won't be disappointed. :)

For unto ZeuS
02-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanx everyone. Nice to meet you kind folks.
I'm thinking I will have to make it out to one of the shows this year. Maybe Cleveland. Detroit would be even better.

Cheers

If it ain't fixx, don't broke it.

heimo
02-18-2005, 11:32 AM
welcome! Glad you found us!

Jeanne Thelen
02-19-2005, 01:05 PM
ELEMENTAL ... ELEMENTAL AND ELEMENTAL!!! Want that Life and Stage One... Oh .. hecK... just get them all and relish the joy of rediscovery!!!!!! WELCOME ABOARD!!!! Jeanne :)

likelyaurora
02-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the board. I agree with you they have done haunting music.