PDA

View Full Version : Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Zakath
09-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Saw this list and about went apoplectic. They can't be seriously thinking of putting Blondie or the J. Geils Band in the R&RHOF, especially when you consider that bands like Yes, Genesis, The Cars, Chicago, The Guess Who, and RUSH are not in.

John Mellencamp
Miles Davis
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
Blondie
Cat Stevens
Patti Smith Group
Sex Pistols
Stooges
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Black Sabbath
Dave Clark Five
J. Geils Band
Chic
Joe Tex
Sir Douglas Quartet

shora65
09-22-2005, 01:14 PM
I can't help but think about that again and again today... discussing music current events with my eighth graders it was hard to hide my dismay at the mention of Blondie...

I don't quite understand how Blondie and J.Geils Band are in the same league with others of the nominees, but maybe that's just my lowly opinion. *smirk*

Zakath
09-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey, nice hooters and melons. :wave:

You will, of course, have to die however. (I gotta find a still of him knitting the "Die Lois" pillow.)

Mike
09-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Must be some people with a pretty poor concept of good music who decided on this list.

The sex pistols??? A group of average monkeys could compose better music than those guys

msmith1
09-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Have The Fixx ever been nominated?
Their 25th anniversary would've been prime.

Kim

shora65
09-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Kim, I love that quote by the Dalai Lama. Always makes me smile. Thanks!

msmith1
09-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks Shora65!

It's my favorite quote...it means alot, personally. Kim:)

Fixxation
10-15-2005, 12:35 AM
Right on Bro!

"Yes, Genesis, The Cars, Chicago, The Guess Who, and RUSH are not in."

What the hell are they thinking. Blondie I can see because she was the being of New Wave. But J Geils?

Fixxation

Zakath
11-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Well, the inductees were announced today, and the dingleberries put Blondie in.

Others: Black Sabbath, Miles Davis, Sex Pistols, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

preciousstone75
11-28-2005, 12:34 PM
actually, Joe Tex is funny. . .

"ain't gonna bump no mo' wit' no big fat woman!"

what about Parliament and Funkadelic? Or George Duke? They trippin'! How about Cameo?!

nuts!

darkman
11-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Rush are probably too "cerebral" for the voting panel. I'll bet Guns N' Roses make it in before Neil, Alex & Geddy. And don't even mention Husker Du!

Delfixxture
11-29-2005, 02:09 AM
Is Boston in the HOF?

Lone Gunman
11-29-2005, 04:26 PM
They are very narrow minded. There is no metal in the Hall of Fame.
Likewise, not much progressive rock.
So many glaring overisghts and dozens of artists that shouldn't be there.

Sex Pistols?
Didn't they have like one album?
Instead of truly being a hall of fame it is much more a "favorites" collection of those who do the nominating.

Diamond05
11-29-2005, 05:42 PM
If it is that type of sh*te that they are nominating, Than maybe its a blessing that good bands like Rush, the FIXX, etc are not "in"... their little fraternal club.

Just let em keep electing the moronic popular bands ....

preciousstone75
11-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Diamond05
If it is that type of sh*te that they are nominating, Than maybe its a blessing that good bands like Rush, the FIXX, etc are not "in"... their little fraternal club.

Just let em keep electing the moronic popular bands ....

see, I knew I liked you!!! :laugh: give 'em the finger!!!! those hall of fame things suck anyhow! :cheers:

Delfixxture
11-30-2005, 09:04 PM
One person who deserved and did go into the HOF was Jackson Browne. Not only has he been a great songwriter and singer, but he also writes about personal interest stories and his feelings like our favorite group, The Fixx.

preciousstone75
12-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Delfixxture
One person who deserved and did go into the HOF was Jackson Browne. Not only has he been a great songwriter and singer, but he also writes about personal interest stories and his feelings like our favorite group, The Fixx.

now, I like him. He's great. There are some groups who are good, but then there are those who are absolute garbage. . . why don't they somethign based on how well a song is written, and not how many records someone sold?

Diamond05
12-01-2005, 09:07 AM
in a way, it reminds me of school.... We give out "awards" for perfect attendance, 90% or higher average, or outstanding effort....

Part of me says we shouldnt have to recognize these features, they should be automatic and instinct -like.....

But the problem is when you only give a few the awards, the group that doesnt get anything is even more disappointed...

So basically you please a select "chosen few" and disappoint the bigger majority!

Like with the R&RHoF, they select only a few bands, and all the fans of those who didnt get their band picked are disappointed...

welcome to life! the have and have nots!

:)

dee
03-01-2006, 09:18 AM
they were talking about the sex pistols being nominated yesterday on the radio station i listen to. and quoted the lead singer for the band being stupid and swearing about the whole thing of course they bleeped it all out but he basically said they would not be there for the stupid thing nice huh? i personally think they do not deserve this and now i definitely think they should not be inducted after the rude comments by this so called musician! how rude! dee

Angiekay
03-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Here is what the Pistols have to say and a little more info:

Punk rock icons the Sex Pistols have declined induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. The band was chosen as part of the hall's Class Of 2006, along with Black Sabbath, Blondie, jazz trumpet legend Miles Davis, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. However, the Pistols released the following statement, complete with spelling and punctuation errors:

"Next to the SEX PISTOLS rock and roll and that hall of fame is a **** stain. Your museum. Urine in wine. Were not coming. Were not your monkey and So what? Fame at 25-thousand dollars if we paid for a table, or 15-thousand dollars to squeak up in the gallery, goes to a non-profit organization selling us a load of old famous. Congradulations. If you voted for us, hope you noted your reasons. Your anonymous as judges, but your still music industry people. Were not coming. Your not paying attention. Outside the s--t-stem is a real SEX PISTOL."

Even though the note makes reference to the cost for a table at the ceremony, the Rock Hall gives each inductee two free tickets, so that they can attend the event with a guest of their choice. Artists only have to pay for any extra people they want to bring into the ballroom at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City, where the induction ceremony is traditionally held.
Susan Evans, who's the Executive Director of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Foundation, isn't too worried about whether the Sex Pistols attend the annual induction ceremony, which takes place March 13th. Evans told the Associated Press, "They are just being the outrageous punksters they are, and that's rock and roll."
There have been several artists who didn't attend their own induction ceremonies, but the Sex Pistols might be the first ones to refuse the honor.

Mick Warwell
03-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Eligibility for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is 25 after an artist's first album release. So for The Fixx and most other new wave acts that would be 2007 since "Shuttered Room" was on the album chart in November 1982.

It's interesting to see how the HoF reacts to each new genre as the years go by. At first it seemed they were reluctant to embrace anything other than unadulterated rock and roll. But in recent years they have loosened up a bit and emrbaced some funk and r&b stars.

How does everybody think the HoF will embrace new wave artists in the next few years? Will they pass over all of them? Will they go the critical indie route and embrace The Cure and Joy Division? OR, will they go the popular route and embrace Duran Duran and Culture Club. Perhaps The Fixx will draw support from both sides?
I actually think the chances of The Fixx getting into the HoF is next to nothing. But then again, which new wave acts *will* the voters' embrace?

I just don't think there are that many new wave artists that are a clear cut above The Fixx. If there were, I could see voters on a first pass summarily dismissing The Fixx from consideration. But given that that is not the case, I see voters having to wrestle with evaluating many new wave groups that are roughly the same level of reknown and accomplishment. Maybe that would bode well for the band. Sometimes being an unsung darkhorse encourages championing.

Here's hoping the band makes a breakthrough in publicity this year and that their rightful place in rock history is restored a bit prior to the 2007 nominations so that maybe they will have a better chance. After all, voters are more likely to consider them if they are the one of the few standout new wave bands that survived into the new millenium and not just as a nostalgia act.

Thoughts?

Steve Pariseau
03-01-2006, 07:12 PM
There are so many great bands that are NOT in the hall.

The Moody Blues comes to mind first.

shoeman
03-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Mick, in a nutshell....

Since The Pretenders went in as 2005 inductees, my sense of logic tells me The Fixx go in also, based on their material and obvious ability.

I've been keeping my eyes open for 2007 nominees, knew that would be the first year of eligibility for our guys.

But I think you're right, it would take a breakthrough.

John

Angiekay
03-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Steve Pariseau

The Moody Blues comes to mind first.

Pat Benatar tops my list, along with Styx and the afore mentioned Rush.

Mick Warwell
03-01-2006, 11:12 PM
I don't think ELO are in yet which I think is absurd. Ever hear the first disc in their two disc greatest hits set? Stellar stuff. I think it's their latter tracks, specifically Xanadu cuts and disco-type stuff from Discovery LP that may have tarnished their image in Hall of Fame's eyes. They should be in there.

Octopulse
03-03-2006, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Steve Pariseau

true, but KISS deserves that honor more than the moody blues, KISS are far better musicians.

Steve Pariseau
03-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Octopulse
... KISS are far better musicians.

I've always enjoyed your witty sense of homor Octo.

You da man.:D

pippi617
03-03-2006, 01:29 PM
whew- i thought he was serious for a minute................

Mike Dillard
03-05-2006, 02:41 AM
Not yet in. Should be in. Todd Rundgren. He does it all, singer, writer, producer, musician, technical innovator.... He has albums where he wrote everything, made all the voice tracks, played every instrument, and produced it as well.

Chime in any time, Bash.

mizfixx
03-16-2006, 06:17 PM
I think it's great that the Pistols made it in. I would have been surprized if Lydon showed up, it would have been out of character for him unless it was to show up to make a statement to "the establishment". Instead he made his statement by not showing up. I thought that was brilliant!

The Pistols were a driving force of the evolution of rock to New Wave.

The idea behind punk was more than just the superficial safetypins and mohawks, which became not much more than a fashion statement that so-called "punks" copied from each other. The idea was to think for yourself...

The idea of punk was to "do it yourself" DIY. This meant anyone could get a band together and bang out a tune with a message in it (not so different from the excellent messages in the fixx's songs). You didn't need to be polished or perfect, you just needed to express yourself with passion and conviction (and imo, Lydon did that very well). It meant you could make your own clothes that reflect your individuality, you could question the establishment and ask the tough questions (that the media are supposed to ask but don't seem to do anymore).

The Sex Pistols were a tremendous influence on music and and they did it in less than two years and with one album. That's pretty impressive imo. :)

Diamond05
03-16-2006, 10:51 PM
yeah Lydon was on J Kimmel's show telling about his refusing to "be excepted" into their club!

He says to boot they want you to pay 2500 per person to come and sit and tell you that you are famous!

As usual he is quite comvincing in his little devious way!

latin_lovebug
03-17-2006, 11:40 AM
I can't belive Queen's not in there.. They are one of my all time favorite bands, along with a few others, but I truly like, I'm totally obsessed.. it's ridiculous.

Angiekay
03-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by latin_lovebug
I can't belive Queen's not in there.. They are one of my all time favorite bands, along with a few others, but I truly like, I'm totally obsessed.. it's ridiculous.

Queen was inducted in 2001

Crucified
06-05-2006, 03:22 PM
The Fixx are in my Hall of Fame.

But unfortunately they stand zero chance of making it into the one in Cleveland. I don't even think they will be nominated.

As for Jackson Browne, he got in in 2004. George Clinton is in also with Parliement.

The bands you mention I agree about. Actaully the most surprising omission to me is Van Halen. How can that be???? KISS surprises me also. The Cars and Pat Benatar should be in also.

My biggest joke into the Hall is the Pretenders. Also think the Sex Pistols releasing only one album don't deserve it....if Hootie and the Blowfish quit after one cd they should've been in too....or even the Knack. Blondie surprised me also...but maybe this is a start for letting 'new wave' bands in.

garjen
10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Vote for The Fixx into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at:
http://www.rateitall.com/i-935680-the-fixx.aspx

They were just added into the list - so they need a lot of votes to catch up with everyone else.

SilentGeoff
10-31-2006, 12:30 PM
10/31/2006 12:07 PM, AP
David Bauder

Van Halen is trying to make their biggest "jump" yet into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, with potential 2007 classmates such as R.E.M., Chic, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

All are among the nine nominees for enshrinement in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland. A panel of 500 industry experts will select five to be inducted at the annual ceremony, to be held March 12 in New York City.

To be eligible, artists must have issued a first single or album at least 25 years prior to nomination.

Van Halen and R.E.M. came from opposite sides of the 1980s rock 'n' roll spectrum. Led by cartoonish frontman David Lee Roth and fleet-fingered guitarist Eddie Van Halen, the California quartet was a hard rock favorite with songs like "Jump" and "Hot for Teacher." R.E.M., meanwhile, was the quintessential indie rock band until breaking through to mass success in the early 1990s.

Grandmaster Flash led the most innovative act in early hip-hop, and the song "The Message" was like a letter from urban America.

Chic, a funk group led by Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers, were one of the few acts to dominate the disco era and emerge with their reputation intact through songs such as the wedding band favorite "Good Times."

Other nominees include Patti Smith, the punk rock poet who recently presided over the closing of New York's legendary CBGB nightclub; British invader the Dave Clark Five; Phil Spector favorites the Ronettes; soul singer Joe Tex; and the Stooges, early home of Iggy Pop.

garjen
10-31-2006, 11:48 PM
They love nominating "Dave Clark 5" although I would prefer they nominated The Hollies. They love Patti Smith although I would prefer Heart, Pat Benatar or The GoGo's. I hope they induct R.E.M. and Van Halen because I think they deserve it. They love The Stooges also, but I would prefer they nominated a band like "The Jam" or "The Replacements" instead.
Basically, I would prefer anyone in the top 20 at:
http://www.rateitall.com/t-2529-deserving-of-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame.aspx
other than their perennial nominees that they roll out.
Garrett

dee
01-09-2007, 04:20 AM
hi all i heard on the radio yesterday at work that r.e.m. patty smith, van halen, and the ronettes were voted into the rock and roll hall of fame i am sure there are more but those are the ones they mentioned! pretty good list i say dee:wave:

shoeman
09-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi Kids!!

Here's the latest group of nominees:
*Afrika Bambaataa
*Beastie Boys
*Chic
*The Dave Clark Five
*Leonard Cohen
*Madonna
*John Mellencamp
*Donna Summer
*The Ventures

The top five vote-getters will be inducted March 10, 2008.

Now please excuse me.
I'm gonna go listen to my Phantoms CD.

Later, ya'll......

:wave:

Fixxation
09-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey Pops,

Thanks for the list. Wow! The Ventures have one great song and they make it in. Is there any justice in this world'

Fixxation

Fixxation
09-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Hello All,

You know the only reason for Chic getting nominated was to **** off The Fixx fans:(

Fixxation

rockerchic
10-01-2007, 12:44 AM
OH FREAK OUT!:laugh: Le Freak so Chic!:rolleyes:

Octopulse
10-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Hello All,

You know the only reason for Chic getting nominated was to **** off The Fixx fans

Fixxation

Not so quick there friend, dont let the fact that the FIXX will most likely never even be nominated for the RnR HOF, let alone make it in, cause you to dismiss some of the artists that are nominated. IMO the RnR HOF is a joke anyway, its a money spinner tool for Rolling Stone, and ide be willing to bet that not one member of the FIXX is ever gonna lose any sleep over the thought of not being nominated to it anyway. The FIXX would be more interested in the "fight from the inside", and just continuing to make music on their own terms and not being tied to pre-concieved notions on whos worthy and whos not. I can almost hear Cy saying "i simply do not care"

Now about CHIC...

CHIC had some serious players with some serious talent, but unfortunately CHIC got caught up in the backlash against disco. At the end of the disco era when all the studio-concoctions were assailing our musical senses with overproduced crap CHIC was a real BAND that stripped it all right back down to the earthy basics of soul, style, and funk. CHIC influenced countless other musicians and when the band broke up its members became some of the most sought after musicians/writers/producers on the scene, so CHICs influence over the last 30 years cannot be ignored.

CHICs bassist Bernard Edwards has been a major influence on other musicians, you hear his licks all the time though you may not realize it because so many bass players over the years have copped his riffs as their own. If you like the bassline in songs such as 'Another One Bites The Dust' by Queen you can thank Bernard Edwards because it is clearly a rework of Bernards bassline from 'Good Times' by CHIC.

CHICs drummer Tony Thompson was once considered a replacement for Led Zeppelins John Bohnam, but the Zeppelin reunion of the mid-80's never happened. But he did play with the remaining members of Zeppelin at Live-Aid, how many people can you name that would be considered to fill Bonzos shoes?

CHICs guitarist Nile Rodgers was a MAJOR influence on Jamie West-Orams playing style and Jamie would undoubtably name him as such if you asked him on it. To me Jamie has always been the perfect combination of the stylings of players such as Nile Rodgers and Hendrix reworked into what is the FIXX geetar sound. If you credit Jamie then you should consider crediting his influences as well.

You can also be sure that Duran Duran guitarist Andy Taylor was heavily influenced by Nile as well. Duran Duran were huge fans of CHIC and even paired up with CHIC members Thompson and Edwards, along with Robert Palmer, to form Power Station. Simon Le Bon has even credited Nile Rodgers with helping to keep Duran Duran together back in the late 80's when Nile stepped in as producer and guitarist on the Notorious album. Members from Duran Duran and CHIC were always very tight.

Anyway... please dont dismiss CHIC so quickly, if i had to name all the artists that were influenced by CHIC we would be here all day, let me just say the list would include many of the biggest artists of the last 30 years, IMO if anyone on that list shoeman provided deserves to be honored for their work, its CHIC.

Fixxation
10-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Hello All,

As I was saying you know the only reason Madonna was nominated is to **** off The Fixx fans:)

Fixxation

Carrie
10-01-2007, 05:03 PM
I had to educate myself on what a few of these bands even wrote/performed...but admittedly, I don't get out much, and there's probably more than a few people who would say the same about the Fixx if they got nominated :rolleyes:

shoeman
10-01-2007, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Fixxation
Hello All,

As I was saying you know the only reason Madonna was nominated is to **** off The Fixx fans:)

Fixxation
------------------------------------------

Ah Fixxation, my son, now you're prompting Madonna supporters to come forward and cite her credentials!!

BTW Octo, nice essay on Chic and Nile Rodgers.
Enjoyed reading that......

Fixxation
10-02-2007, 02:26 AM
"Ah Fixxation, my son, now you're prompting Madonna supporters to come forward and cite her credentials!!

BTW Octo, nice essay on Chic and Nile Rodgers."

I hope there are no Madonna fans on this site. By the way, that damn Octo it is hard to disagree with him. But I am a rocker and could not stand disco.

Wasn't this bands big hit "Le Freak?' Come on! No one like that song?

Fixxation

Octopulse
10-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Wasn't this bands big hit "Le Freak?' Come on! No one like that song?

CHIC had several hits but Le Freak was the biggest one, it was number 1 for several weeks, it was the biggest selling single ever on Atlantic Records, but many people were, and are still - sick of it

a little story for ya....

A once upon a time, it was a dark and stormy new years eve in New York City, members of CHIC were dissed and pissed because Studio 54 was packed and wouldnt let them in that night, so they bought some cheap champagne at the corner liquor store, trudged home in their expensive suits ruining their flashy shoes in the snow, but.... when they got home.... they got a good buzz on, plugged in, jammed away, and wrote a protest song with lyrics that went 'ahhhhh.... **** off', which eventually became 'ahhhhh.... freak out', the song became a big hit, and CHIC could then afford much finer champagne, and they all lived happily ever after

I just think thats soooo beautiful [wipes eyes] <sniff>, getting pissed, getting ripped, jamming it away, telling the da man to **** off <grabs tissue>, beautiful.... just ****in' beautiful <sniff> <sniff>

Fixxation
10-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Hello All,

It is great to see Octo back on the boards. Love to hear his stories too. Octo just don't tell the story about your name Octopulse.

I love you Man:)

Fixxation

rockerchic
10-03-2007, 08:59 AM
I own that Chic album and I used to dance all over the house to their music! And awesome point made by Octo! I heard Tony Thompson had died is that true? Sadly Robert Palmer was also taken away too soon! A man with great talents, looks, and class!

Octopulse
10-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I heard Tony Thompson had died is that true? Sadly Robert Palmer was also taken away too soon! A man with great talents, looks, and class!

Tony Thompson died of cancer a few years ago, and Bernard Edwards died on tour about 10 years ago, both were only in their 40's.

rockerchic
10-03-2007, 08:08 PM
How sad to die so young! I got to see Tony Thompson play with Power Station many moons ago. When I got to see Power Station, Michael DeBarres (spelling?) filled in for Robert Palmer who had suddenly broke away from that tour and I can't remember the reason behind it? Wished I got to see Mr. Palmer's performance.

shoeman
09-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Back again with the nominees for 2009.

And they are:
*Run-D.M.C.
*Metallica
*The Stooges
*Jeff Beck
*Wanda Jackson
*Little Anthony And The Imperials
*War
*Bobby Womack
*Chic

Chic is the only nominee back from last year's ballot. The five leading vote-getters will be announced in January and inducted April 4, 2009 in Cleveland.

There you have it......

buffalo-girl
09-24-2008, 05:26 AM
thanks shoeman i heard about metallica and jeff beck yesterday very cool and about time i think lol!!! dee:wave: :tup:

shoeman
09-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Hello Dee!!

Of the nine nominees for 2009, I'm guessing that The Stooges, Metallica, Jeff Beck, War and Chic will make it in this time.

Just a prediction......

buffalo-girl
09-27-2008, 05:14 PM
hi shoeman you are probably right? but i still don't really agree with chic ? oh well not much we can do about it right? have a good one dee:wave:

shoeman
01-15-2009, 05:56 PM
The following artists will be inducted this year:
1. Run-DMC
2. Metallica
3. Jeff Beck
4. Bobby Womack
5. Little Anthony And The Imperials

Furthermore, Wanda Jackson will be inducted in the Hall's "early influence" category.

Also, three artists are to be inducted in the "sidemen" category:
*Spooner Oldham---keyboard player on such hits as "Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett.

*D.J. Fontana---drummer for Elvis Presley on such songs as "Hound Dog."

*Bill Black---bassist for Presley on such hits as "Jailhouse Rock."

Source: Reuters News Service

gee-bee
01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
jeff beck- yes
the others-NO
WTF!!