PDA

View Full Version : More drama on the rise-please read!!!

preciousstone75
09-27-2005, 08:10 AM
This is of utmost importance.

As you all know, the Emancipation Proclamation is up for review in 2007. Court proceedings begin in 2006. But the glitch is this- what's gonna happen to all of us if they refuse to renew it?

This may not affect all of you, but it should most definitely bother you. If it does not go through, that means Jim Crow laws will be reinforced. My mother grew up during Jim Crow in one of the most segregated and prejudiced places in the US- Arkansas, where they didn't care if you were found hanging where they left you. We owned land there, but sold it to sever all ties to the past. This is a personal topic for me, as it being my great-grandmother's husband was a victim of lynching.

My family was not raised to be prejudiced- we have lots of different cultures flowing in our veins and have interracial marriages as well as children in our clan- but my question is "what will happen to them?" I know the US was cruel back then, but can you imagine what will happen now, with the economy and all that? We as African Americans have been scapegoats in the past (run off our farms, burned out of our homes, all for the sake of freedom). . . what happened to Steven Biko can easily be done to one of us.

Please, please, please- talk to your congressman or representative. We are talking about people's lives. A lot of us support Amnesty International, but what will they do for us if we are no longer protected in our own land?
We need a peaceful revolution, a solution to all this without losing a single soul on either side. This law needs to be renewed, because it gives us human rights. Will all the cultures who now inhabit the United States, it also needs to include them, especially in light of the 911 attacks. We all deserve to be counted and accepted for who we are.

Peace be with you

dejapete
09-27-2005, 10:18 PM
As you can see by my avatar (at post time), I live in a tent. I hadn't heard this news. Are there any links to information about this that anyone can share?

jeff
09-27-2005, 10:32 PM
I thought the 13th Amendment covered the banning of slavery and superceded any/all other laws (proclaimations, etc)? Shouldn't the Emancipation Proclamation not be needed after the Amendment was added?

fixxfanatic
09-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Precious......it's quite a fright to think that the EP would be rejected.....but have faith in the people we have become today. We have learned so much about other cultures and societies. Many laws have been passed that make equlity a priority. And don't forget about the 13th amendment!! I think it will be an issue that will gain a lot of media babble....but in the end, what is right will win out....which is what our great President and fellow Illinoisan , good ol' Abe Lincoln was always reaching for. He died for equality!!! Take a trip down the road from you to the new Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum...see the shows and the exhibits...they will reassure you of his mission!
Diversity is life...without it life would just be monotone!

jeff
09-27-2005, 10:51 PM
And lets not forget the Civil Rights Act.

So googling a bit, the only thing I can find close is here:

Voting Rights Act expires in 2007 (http://academic.udayton.edu/race/04needs/voting07.htm)

And yes, *that's* quite frightening!

preciousstone75
09-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Also, aside from all that. . .

There is a woman in exile who is supposed to present in court during these proceedings. Did you know they put a two million dollar bounty on her head, to keep her from speaking? So, yes, it is a LOT more serious than you all know. I found this out Monday (the latter half)- they want to kill her for telling the truth.

A word to the wise- just because it is written does not mean that it covers everything. The 13th gave us the right to vote- the EP abolished slavery and then Jim Crow went into effect. The two acres and a mule thing and a lot of other stuff- but they never rewrote that one (convenient?). A lot of laws have been rewritten, but how did they manage to miss THAT one?

Thinking. . .

jeff
09-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by preciousstone75
The 13th gave us the right to vote- the EP abolished slavery and then Jim Crow went into effect.

Hi Prec,

I'm confused: I thought the EP was a presidential mandate, preceeded the civil war, then right after the war they enacted the 13th amendment -- which is not about voting rights:

Article XIII.

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

The voting rights amendment was the 15th amendment:

Article XV.

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

The Jim Crow laws were (mostly? completely?) thrown out with the Civil Rights act of 1964 (or was it '65?).

Again, can you point us to a reference about the EP expiring? If I'm to call my congressman, I need some hard facts to point her or him to, other than our friend Fixx message board ;)

thanks!

jeff

preciousstone75
09-29-2005, 08:05 AM
I heard about this a few years ago from my pastor. He was a city official at the time (one that didn't take a salary for being in the position he held and to this day the city officials still come to him for advice). In 1998, he told us about the EP and its expiration date. The truth is it was written as if the US wouldn't even be here when the renewal date came up. You know the whole Nostradamus prediction about the world cancelling itself by 2000 and whatnot- anyway, when it was passed, it expired in X number of years (I think 140 sounds right?). So that is why this is so important- the nature of how it was put together is what makes it so vital to us.

So go ahead and read it. You'll understand why I'm trippin'. Also I listened to stories my mother told me about pre-integrated times for us- and yeah, it made the hair stand on my neck. Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. I definitely hope it is not the case with this one.

As far as the woman who's in exile, she knows about this whole thing. They don't want her to talk, hence the bounty on her head. When the government watches you, there is really no place you can hide.

I'll be checking back with you all on updates.

TY, Jeff for the refresher. Here's some refreshment for ya :cheers:

Cygnet
09-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Okay, I'm reading you guys...keep me informed. I'm glad Jeff's here. Are you still living in a tent? Beautiful view. Where is that?
Mormon's were persecuted in inhumane ways as well, right here in the U.S.- there was actually an extermination order out against them at one time. Don't want to ruin anyone's day by telling any stories (babies thrown in the air and shot at...that type of thing), but yah, man is a beast and it isn't only racism that brings out the monster. I often marvel over the word "humane" : If it refers to being human, then I don't think that word means what you think it means. What is it with this creature we are all a part of? !!!
Concerning your concerns, Presh, I do hope we'll all keep our heads this time...(in more ways than one.) Peace and ...
Love,
Cyg

Zakath
09-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by jeff
Hi Prec,

I'm confused: I thought the EP was a presidential mandate, preceeded the civil war, then right after the war they enacted the 13th amendment -- which is not about voting rights:

The EP was issued by Lincoln on January 1, 1863, (preliminarily issued on September 22, 1862) outlawing slavery in states which at that time were in rebellion against the United States (i.e. the Confederacy). (The war began in April of 1861, primarily with the Battle of Fort Sumter in South Carolina.) It did not affect slave states which had not left the Union (the border states - Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky, and later West Virginia, which was admitted as a slave state to the Union on June 20, 1863). Slavery in those states and the remainder of the country was abolished, as you noted, with the ratification of the 13th Amendment in December 1865, which, along with the 14th and 15th Amendments, was required to be ratified by the Southern states before they could be readmitted into the Union. (Though if I recall correctly, the states of Mississippi and Texas, along with the commonwealth of Virginia, were readmitted under a separate plan.)

Which sparks a great trivia question to baffle the crap out of anyone who doesn't know:

How many states are there in the United States?

(You can all say 50, or 51, or whatever you want...)

The answer? 46. Four "states" are actually commonwealths: Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia.

Cygnet
09-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Okay, I was going to ask you, but I went to Webster instead... a commonwealth is : 1. the people of a nation or state; body politic; 2. a) a nation or state in which there is selfgovernment; demorcracy or republic b) a federation of states; 3) loosely, any State of the U.S.; strictly, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, or Virginia, which were so designated in their first constitutions.

and so on...

Thanks, Webster!