PDA

View Full Version : Favorite song/lyrics

RonniewRONg
01-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Perusing the lists of Favorite Fixx songs I noticed the conspicuous absence of Don't Be Scared. Why is this I wonder? Is this song's appeal, are it's charms really so esoteric? Or are fans forgetting about one of the Fixx's greatest songs? I know that there are many people here like me who have special feelings for this song. But in case it's a song you're not fond of or have just not given much thought to please consider the following.

For what it's worth here's my praise and critique of this song.

To me this song is classic Fixx. The 'song' is the thing. No one instrument dominates. It's evocative, unique, dynamic, expertly performed and moody. It feels like the night. It takes you somewhere. The strong organ part, the tasteful clean guitar part(s) at times blending with the snyth parts is something that the Fixx were exceptionally good at. The distorted guitar coming in only on the vamp is almost invisable. But it's there. And the inspired inclusion of a sax solo on the fade out is excellent and almost required considering what comes before it.

The vocal performance is among Cy's best EVER. The song is about Trust. And he exudes the different emotions surrounding trust; yearing, frailty, distrust, persausion, confidence etc.

At about the 1:57 mark the songs begins to subtly build with the focus on where the vocalist is going. He's going somehwere. You can feel it. The music implies it too. His vocal strain is powerfully expressed and equally matched by the phrasing he uses to break it up at times; "In your tainted .....sun" (3:07). He whispers at times. He sings in his normal singing voice. He shouts and insufferably moans. (His voice breaking is especially powerful to me) All moving around the soundscape of the song like flowing water over a falls. He insistently repeats the song's namesake and then growlingly pleads for the Truth building to a heartfelt climax that is soothed by that great sax solo.

I love this song. It would easily be in my top 3 favorite Fixx songs.

Anyone agree?

Jeanne Thelen
01-13-2006, 12:44 PM
I am not sure I have heard this song... which Cd is it on???

dejapete
01-13-2006, 05:18 PM
It's on React and The Fixx/The Call : Winning Combinations.

Any others?

The Queen
01-13-2006, 05:59 PM
I love the song "Don't Be Scared"! I feel it is underrated too, but I think there is so MUCH great Fixx music out that it's easy to let a few great ones get sidetracked. It's OK, it's all good, we all have our favorites and sometimes more people have the same song as a fave, but that doesn't mean other songs are lesser. Everyone is different.

I think I have the React CD version, one of their best.

Diamond05
01-13-2006, 06:12 PM
I would love to hear DONT BE SCARED introduced in the woodlands acoustic format...

that would be a nice song to play around the campfire- and strip down to the bare essentials-

it has all the potential to be a nice acousticfied one!

maybe a return to woodlands like atmosphere....

ya never know!

d3

Steve Pariseau
01-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Ronnie:
I've always dug Scared and the two others from React. Great tunes.

Don't miss the favourite Fixx songs polls, by the way, going on right here on the message board. Although Don't Be Scared is trailing by a big margin in it's poll you can still vote for it. You'll find it in the "Extra Fixxings" poll linked from this index page (http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3072)

fotolinda
01-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by dejapete
It's on React and The Fixx/The Call : Winning Combinations.

Wow! Isn't that an interesting album! I'd never seen it before.

I love The Call- I was able to photograph them when they came to Syracuse my sophomore year. SPIN Magazine was thinking about using my photos, but then never ran the story (darnit!). I saw The Call at the Bayou, as well, many moons ago. I think I own everything by them, as well.

Steve Pariseau
01-16-2006, 08:11 PM
I'd love to see your Call photos Linda. Do you have them posted anywhere?

fotolinda
01-17-2006, 04:47 AM
Posted? Oh man- that was pre-digital days! I'd be lucky to find a couple of the prints somewhere in the house. I know I had one of Michael Been at the mic that I liked for a while. I'd have to find it and scan it. Then I'd have to find those negatives. We're talking 1986! Gimme a bit to search...

Steve Pariseau
01-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Don't sweat it Linda. I was thinking maybe you'd already digitized them. I know how much work it is so don't go out of your way.

thx

RonniewRONg
01-17-2006, 07:43 PM
The acoustic idea is interesting to think about. You're right. It certainly does lend itself to an alternate version.:idea:

Diamond05
01-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Linda, where did you see them in the 'Cuse?

Lost Horizon
Lemoyne Manor
SU shine centre
Manley Field House
that spring Block party on walnut/waverly?

do tell!!! :)

d3

fotolinda
01-18-2006, 04:56 AM
As a matter of fact, I saw them at the Schine Center- was one of the first concerts there, as it was built in 1986.

Saw Charlie Sexton at USASam's and Sting at the War Memorial. (and then the many many acts who played Block Party- 10,000 Maniacs when they were still 10,000 Screaming Maniacs, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Breakfast Club, etc.)

And of course, U2 at the Carrier Dome. 3rd Row. Center Stage. Me, two people in front of me, and then Bono. I can't see them again because I'd want the same thing and there's no way peons get tickets like that anymore.

I need to find those Sting photos too- I have a great pout of Sting looking right at me to his left. Everyone in school wanted copies after it ran in a huge spread in the student paper.

Jeanne Thelen
01-18-2006, 08:43 AM
FAVORITE SONG/LYRICS

WEll... I guess if I had to choose ... It would be Two Different View from the Happy Landings Cd....

I love this version and Altrenate lyrics......My ultimate DREAM is to hear this version acoustic..........

:love: *SIGH*

I KNOW....
BIG SURPRISE !!!!!!

:D ;) :p :angel: