PDA

View Full Version : Lose Face alternate version

QHS
06-26-2001, 01:08 PM
When Phantoms came out, I remember the band doing a "Rockline" or some other interview show in which a version of Lose Face was played that differed from the album. Instead of fading out, it had a "hard" ending.

Has anyone else heard of that version, or know if it available somewhere? Thanks.

mctalg
07-03-2001, 10:47 PM
QHS, you pose an interesting question. I actually have a copy of that Rockline broadcast. It was broadcast, in support of their Phantoms release, on September 17, 1984 in Chicago. I also have a later Rockline broadcast that promoted the Walkabout release, and it hit the airwaves in Chicago on July 28, 1986.

Last May, I mentioned these broadcasts, and I made a promise to attempt to transcribe the interviews. I haven't found the time to do this yet, but I still wish too. Probably now that the band is in the midst of a large tour, and new Fixxtures are joining daily, I should get this done; so stay tuned. Also, at that time, I will attempt to answer your question about "Lose Face."

Oh, for anyone wondering...my copies of these programs are on cassette tapes.

Cathy
07-12-2001, 08:42 AM
Yes, I have the alternate version--it's on the US cassette of "Phantoms" (MCA Records MCAC-5507). My US vinyl copy (MCA-5507), on the other hand, has the usual fade ending. Whether there are any LP or CD releases with the hard ending--or whether the ending was changed during a pressing run--I don't know. (I can say that I bought the LP shortly after its original release, and picked up the cassette a couple of years later.)

I remember a similar scenario with "Saved by Zero": heard a version with alternate lyrics during a radio interview, spent years trying to track it down, and it was Adam Woods who finally pointed me in the right direction during a '91 autograph session. (Thanks, Adam! BTW, it's the UK 12" (MCA FIXXT 4) for you fellow trainspotters.)

Hope that helps!
Cathy

QHS
07-12-2001, 07:11 PM
Thanks a bunch, Cathy! You've assured me that I'm not crazy -- I really did remember it correctly.;)

Now, where do I get that tape!?

Westland Armitage
07-18-2001, 12:27 PM
Yes, I have the cassette as well. The ending sounds as if the song was truncated, actually. I prefer the original version with the fade out...sounds more ominous.

Steve Pariseau
01-31-2004, 11:13 AM
Does anyone have this alternate version on CD?
Or an mp3 file?

LMK
Steve

itsmephil
02-03-2004, 05:52 AM
OK, this is strange.

I have 3 copies of the Phantoms cassette and none of them have the hard ending. I feel ripped off. I'm gonna have to go listen again but I loved that song on the cassette and would have remembered that.

"So how does it end?"