PDA

View Full Version : My dreams, disown me...?

Inkblot
03-01-2006, 06:02 PM
All my life I have loved to draw. I still love to draw, and I am pursuing a career in creating comic books. My brother/concept writer Ron and I are working on a project right now, in fact, that we hope to publish by the time I'm 20.

Unfortunately, many people don't see cartooning/graphic noveling the way I do...to my teachers, I'm out of my effin' gourd. If it's not elementary school teachers telling me that my work is too controversial and/or unsuitable for children (and I was a child when they made the complaint about a particular cartoon of mine), it's my Senior-class English teacher telling me that I have to pursue a more "suitable" career. Or maybe it's the other people in authority telling me that comics are dying and that I should go into animation or graphic design...even my most recent ex-boyfriend was telling me how Ron and I should do our comic (what farces to add, how to make our female characters, etc.). Heh...that's one reason he's now an ex.;)

As I've said in my blogs, "They don't understand - I AM A COMIC BOOK WRITER. I draw comics - not web comics, though occasionally I do one or two on DA for fun. I am not an animator, or a poster designer, or a freelance cartoonist. I don't care if people read more InuYasha than Spiderman or Dominic Deegan than Garfield. I draw what I draw."

I try not to let it get me down - I have a habit of always trying to prove people wrong (must be the teen in me). But it seems like the comic book world is dying, and sometimes, I can't help but wonder if I'm screwed.:(

msmith1
03-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Whatever you end up doing, Inkblot...always have a "plan B"....

:tup: Kim (99% of the public don't "get" what art is about, anyway...so weigh "advice" with your heart)

pippi617
03-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Just be yourself Inky - follow your dreams - the rest will fall into place along the way.

musegirl
03-02-2006, 09:31 AM
I think itís great that you have a solid goal in your life, Inkblot. So many of us waffle and wander in our youths, and when we finally do find direction, realize that we are at a disadvantage behind those who applied themselves early on.

If I might make a constructive commentÖtry not to label your self too specifically in life. Itís a bit limiting and far too many people will want to label you things for their own convenience. You are many things and have many creative abilities. Be open to opportunities and experiences that are outside your main passion. You never know where they may lead you or whom you might meet in the process that can help you reach your goal or show you new paths to new challenges.

Cyís path has always been fascinating to me. Hereís a guy who is always reinventing himself and trying new things. And whether itís hat making or sheep farming, those pursuits never make him any less of a brilliant musician. If anything, theyíve made him into an even more complex human being. In the end, thatís what a creative life is all about, isnít it?

shoeman
03-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Hello, S.E.
A pat on the back and a word of encouragement for you.
Be smart. Always be able to provide for yourself.
Be tough. And you know those of us here will back you up.
You seem like the kind of person who can do many things well.
You may want to experiment and try more things out.
Be prepared to shift gears and accept new challenges.
Your dream can actually take on many different forms.
And you can still pick up your pen and draw.

And hold your head up. You have a lot to offer. :)

Jeanne Thelen
03-03-2006, 01:30 PM
"What the heart understands today.. the head will understand tomorrow"

If this is what you heart is screaming for .. Your passion... then my only words of advice are ... GO FOR IT, GIRL......

I wasted to many years being told WHAT was a suitable career... When I was In college... I Was an Interior Design Major .. only to be told by My Uncle, Who is an Architect .. that when times are bad.. Interior Designers are the first to go... then I switched to Early Childhood Education ... Which I loved ... only to be told that as a single girl .. I should be thinking of my health insurance,401k's etc......and teaching does not pay .. so off to Corporate America ... where I feel like a square peg in a round hole ... as my soul is being suck, as I sit here day after day ...... NOW the truth is .. All I ever wanted was to write (please do not look at the spelling errors .. Is spell check up on this thing yet????:) ....) ever since I was a little girl... and somewhere after my 39th birthday .. I said *%&* IT... I am going to write .. I have one books almost finished... a second in the making and 4 more outlined ....

NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS!!!

NEVER Give up on your dreams....

You Can do it, Inkblot .. I know you can!!!!!!! :)

shoeman
03-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Wow, Jeanne!! What a passion you have there.....
Would you like to mention more about your first book?
Is it a novel? A biography? Something else?
And how did you come up with the inspiration for this book?
Be glad to hear what you have to say....:)

Inkblot
03-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the advice...

Jeanne, that is an amazing story. :tup: I am going to create comics, no matter what.

But just to be on the safe side, I'm checking out a nearby college that offers a program in animation this Wednesday. (And I still need to get a part-time job...) And this weekend, I hope to have the rough draft of the first issue of my and Ron's comic done. :)

The Queen
03-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by musegirl

Cyís path has always been fascinating to me. Hereís a guy who is always reinventing himself and trying new things. And whether itís hat making or sheep farming, those pursuits never make him any less of a brilliant musician. If anything, theyíve made him into an even more complex human being. In the end, thatís what a creative life is all about, isnít it?

Cy never struck me as trying to please a whole lot of people, mostly his own creative self, which is why he is CY, and so successful as being the consumate artist.

Unfortunatley life goes on, and bills have to be paid, babies have to fed and dressed, but the real artist always pursues his passion after those things are taken care of. Sometimes you only have 10 or 20 minutes out of the day for your art, but over a lifetime that adds up. It's important to do what your heart tells you to do.

Jeanne Thelen
03-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by shoeman
Wow, Jeanne!! What a passion you have there.....
Would you like to mention more about your first book?
Is it a novel? A biography? Something else?
And how did you come up with the inspiration for this book?
Be glad to hear what you have to say....:)

Thank you for all your encouragement

Like most writers.. we tend to look to other writers( or day to day life situtaion ) for Inspiration.. :) words or images that tend to speak to us....

My first book is based on a assignment that I was given In college..
We were asked to take a line/ verse form a song, or a poem and create a short story around it... IT was the best grade I ever recieved on any of my papers, with a note from my professor encouraging me to develope it... which of course .. it sat buried, among my college stuff .. until 2004....

as the story has developed... I have been inspired by many artist.. Elton John.. several country artist ... And of course Cy Curnin...

If you" read between the lines " ... You could probably figure the Song Title based on my interpretation....

INKBLOT.....
YOU go for it Girl ... I am so happy for you .. and I am glad You are checking out colleges .. :) ;)

msmith1
03-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Making a "plan B"...very wise...you go girl!

Kim:tup:

Inkblot
03-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Well, I had to reschedule my college appointment for next Tuesday because I got very sick today, but it works out - I still need to organize my portfolio.

I guess bad things really don't happen without some good coming out of them...

Inkblot
03-15-2006, 08:01 AM
The new Art Institute - Inland Empire is amazing. It'd be exciting to be in an art-related class with computers that actually work (unlike the ones in Digital Art). I can really see myself becoming an animator at that college...

...but of course, I'm still going to work on my comic book with Ron, and God willing, get it published by the time I turn 20.

:)