PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Usage

shoeman
04-06-2006, 09:34 PM
There's plenty of debate/discussion over this.

On the one hand, how did we ever survive without the cell-phone?
And its usefulness in the event of an emergency is obvious.
And oh yeah, it's fun to chat on them....

On the other hand, usage can get out of control.
Some situations demand that they be shut off.
But some individuals stubbornly refuse to do so.
Recently, I saw a teenage girl driving on the interstate.
Instead of watching the road, she was glaring down at her cell phone. Insane.
There can be such a thing as too much usage.
And there's also the issue of radiation.
So, a lot of things to be considered.

Tell you what, though.
If you were at a Fixx concert and were trying to reach me on your cell(if this is allowed while a show is in progress), I would sure want to talk with you.

It's a good thing.
It's a bad thing.
Could we survive without it?

John

dee
04-07-2006, 04:09 AM
i agree tha cell phones are very useful especially in a emergency but i also thnk that the law should be enforced better as far as talking on the cell while driving. i see so many people here in buffalo yacking away and not paying attention to their driving. go out and get a hands free set they don't cost much and you will not cause a accident where you or other people can get hurt ! just my opinion! dee:wave:

jim
04-17-2006, 05:12 PM
People use them to take up their time- you used to see people reading while waiting, now they are talking (are we dumbing down?)

Everytime I golf with business people, they spend half their time on the cell, ignoring the rest of us, we wonder why they left the office

I usually don't want to be accessible at all times, so I usually have mine off except when I want my wife or the kids' schools to be able to get a hold of me

cell companies are evil- they have nasty contracts, and just try winning a dispute. I have a tracfone so I don't have a contract or a company, no problems, no complaints

I could go on for a while, maybe more later.

Jim

msmith1
04-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Well, let me tell you...
the little rural Town I live in...has a crummy independent phone company.
I finally cancelled my regular phone service, and went totally to cel. For the like 4 people I ever call or who call me, aside from my family. Plus, I'm 90% at the gallery where prefer to use the shop line run by a different phone company, or am in transit anyway. Was paying $80 a month, for basic service, with all the ancillary stupid phone substation access fees, as they are a very small potato and pass on to the customer paying to connect to all the other phone companies for every call you make outside of the Town limits (not including long distance). This is a very small Town, about 500 residents. Oh, and had alot of connection issues, party line interference, all the time (I learned alot about other folks personal business, for sure)! Grudgingly keep a line for the computer (do not yet have cable or DSL in this area). I don't like giving them even one cent of my money. They even told my neighbor Diane, that she was experiencing bad and cutting out phone connections, due to the fact that when she spoke on her corded handset, the cord was not hanging exactly perpendicular to the ground at all times...how idiotic is that?! What a load of HOOEY! And then, they charged her for a visit! UGH!
Kim
:tdown:
yeah...I don't talk too often while driving...manual transmission mostly nixes that. And have to concentrate on all the soccer mom and teenage SUV drivers around here. It's been said that it takes extra skills to drive those SUVs properly, and I seriously doubt they possess those skills, from what I've seen! Usually, they are talking on their cels, messing with their baby in it's carseat and almost having an accident, or cranking up the jams to sonic boom levels, while inattentively driving about!
Dang, I sound like a cranky blue hair! LOL!

The Queen
04-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Kim,

First off, I am with you on the SUV nightmares on the road. Those soccer moms, yikes, they scare the crap out of me and I am hoping they are an endangered species, soon to be all gone.

I am notorious for not being a cell phone person, but I have one anyway. The best part of having one was being able to snap a couple great shots of Cy at the recent concert. It was impossible to get a whole group shot on that tiny viewfinder, so I settled for Cy. They are a bit fuzzy compared to a good camera, but now I have a great screensaver on my phone.

I find a good land line telephone superior in sound and service over any kind of cell phone anywhere.

Don't those things cause some kind of brain tumors? I see plenty of evidence of brain damage on the road.

msmith1
04-17-2006, 06:39 PM
LOL! Queen! "Dain Bramage"...

You even hear it in the grocery checkout lines, those oh so incredibly important gripping just can't wait 'til they get home conversations "I'm at the grocery, yeah, I just swung by and grabbed some milk...what are you doin'?...I'm still waiting in this line...I dunno, paper or plastic...I'll be home in about 10 minutes...yeah, still in line...did you want some gum?..."
And inevitably, they write a check...oof!

Kim:rolleyes:

dejapete
04-17-2006, 06:54 PM
The grocery store is one of the few places I really need to use a cell phone.

"Honey. I'm in front of the rice. And I'm looking at 45 different kinds of rice. Which one do you want?"

The Queen
04-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Cell phone usage is so bad in this area, that I am beginning to see signs that say 'no cell phone usage allowed', esp. in fast food drive thru's. My dr's office has same signs all over the place too, t and then a tiny clause, that if you do talk on the phone and the dr. enters the room, he can leave and still charge you for the visit.

Bash
04-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Not a phone talker here - hardly ever actually speak into the device unless I'm traveling to meet folks or doing the Den Mom thing during tours. My phone is a glorified text message device - well, now it's text/email/internet, now that I upgraded to a Palm Treo 650 phone! I LOVE being able to get email wherever I go - came in really handy on my recent vacation. Cool thing is now I can get one of those funky Star Trek Borg-looking Bluetooth wireless earpieces for when I'm driving and Den Momming at the same time. Death to those doggone earplugs with the wires that always get disconnected, or break... :)

Even then, I gotta keep the chatter to the bare minimum while driving. Much more important things to do while behind the wheel, like dodging the soccer moms and all the folks out here who are talking on their cell phones while drinking their decaf skim grande lattes...they must drive with their knees!

Angiekay
04-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by msmith1
LOL! Queen! "Dain Bramage"...

You even hear it in the grocery checkout lines, those oh so incredibly important gripping just can't wait 'til they get home conversations "I'm at the grocery, yeah, I just swung by and grabbed some milk...what are you doin'?...I'm still waiting in this line...I dunno, paper or plastic...I'll be home in about 10 minutes...yeah, still in line...did you want some gum?..."
And inevitably, they write a check...oof!

Kim:rolleyes:

To me, this is the rudest thing EVER. If you need to call home to find out what is needed while walking down the aisle, that is all good, but HANG UP in line. People talk about how bad check out clerks and customer service is, but it is SO RUDE to be talking on the phone when someone is trying to serve you and check you out! They ask you something or tell you your total and you hold up your finger for them to "hang on a second" WHAT?! ARGH!!! Not to mention, other people in line couldn't care LESS about your conversation! You can wait five minutes to get outside!

<----part time retail clerk for over 16 years. Throw me a bone, here!

Thank you for letting me rant!!! :devil:

jim
04-17-2006, 11:39 PM
You've really hit a nerve here- my pet peeve...

I want to smash many of these cell phones on the ground... the people talking on them in their car, in line at the store, at the airport... they talk endlessly, mindlessly, notice they are only talking- never listening... they must show us how important they are, how they must be connected at all times, their life is wired...puke...

as i've said, I have one and I use it occassionally. To get directions to a house, to ask my wife if I have the right item, to tell someone I'm running late. But some of these people are using them so that the rest of us will notice how important they must be. Pathetic.

(step down off soapbox)

Jim

shoeman
04-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Well said, you guys.......very well put.

Angie, instead of a bone, how about a steak dinner?
16 years, that calls for some recognition.......

Angiekay
04-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by shoeman
Well said, you guys.......very well put.

Angie, instead of a bone, how about a steak dinner?
16 years, that calls for some recognition.......

You're on!! :goodie: lol!

I tell ya, some days I hate mankind. Oh, the stories I could tell. Maybe I'll write a book someday. ;)

dejapete
04-18-2006, 01:55 AM
The strangest use of a cell phone that I witnessed was at a buffet restaurant. A woman was talking incessantly during her meal (except to chew, I suppose). Even while she was filling her plate the first and second time, she was talking on the phone.

pippi617
04-18-2006, 03:19 AM
My name is Janet Marie - I live in Southern California - and I am a cell phone junkie. (I know 8 year olds with cell phones.)

My sister works for a very very small independent midwestern phone company and she shames me for my abusive cell phone usage. (But they are a great company - she makes sure of that) Truthfully, I feel I use mine much, much less than most people I know. But I am never without it. (I do turn it off when the situation dictates.) I feel the need to be able to reach - or be reached by - my family if ever they would need me - or I them. And I spend most of my minutes talking to one of my kids. My girls will frequently take some adorable shot of one of the babies and send it to me at work.

I also use it quite a bit for text messages................'specially to Bash.

Whether it be for a crisis or a candy bar - I reach out and touch someone.

:tup:

The Queen
04-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by jim

..... notice they are only talking- never listening...

Jim

Great point!

Angiekay
04-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by pippi617
My name is Janet Marie - I live in Southern California - and I am a cell phone junkie. (I know 8 year olds with cell phones.)

Whether it be for a crisis or a candy bar - I reach out and touch someone.

:tup:

OMG...my ex is an addict with a cell phone! I've told him over and over he should have that thing sewn to his head. I've never even seen *women* talk that much on ANY phone. Also texting. He is ALWAYS on it! It's like his life support system! Maybe there is a 12 step program out there somewhere for cell phone addicts! :laugh:

Steve Pariseau
04-18-2006, 08:05 PM
I rely on my cell phone for convenience. I take call at the hospital and am not about to find a pay phone whenever the pager goes off. Like Bash, I just love the Bluetooth earpiece. It does look wierd and people mock me for having it, but **** 'em, It is SO nice not having to hold the phone up to my ear. And the Bluetooth earpiece is almost weightless so I don't even feel it anymore.

When I come to a teller (bank or post office) or cashier at a store I tell any caller that I will have to call them back. And when I do take a call in public, I am able to speak softly because my Bluetooth earpiece has a great microphone. People on the other end of the phone don't even know I'm on a wireless set up. The quality is that good.

I also use the voice commands on my phone. All I have to do is touch my Bluetooth earpiece and then tell the phone who to call. I hardly ever have to hand dial my phone anymore. Convenience. I will pay for convenience.

By the way, my keyboard and mice are all Bluetooth as well (for laptop and desktop PCs). The next time I buy a printer, it will be Bluetooth as well. If it involves a cord, I don't want it. We have the technology for nearly everything in our lives to be cordless. I embrace that.

Bash
04-18-2006, 08:51 PM

*sigh* (um, bit of an inside joke, there. Sorry. :D )

Always get a chuckle out of Pippi's texts...never know if it will be a quick one while she's on her break, telling me about some drunk she's just dealt with at the bar, or a forward of one of those pictures of her adorable grandbabies.

I love texts because they are private - much better to do on public transit, for instance (I'm a Woman on a Train), and much more polite if fellow commuters want to nap.

msmith1
04-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey Angiekay,

I used to live that, too (my ex)....it sucked.
I was a cell phone/pager/computer widow.

Moved on, too...

Kim

Bash
04-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by dejapete
A woman was talking incessantly during her meal (except to chew, I suppose).

Oh, not always. And there's a peeve. People who are sooooo busy they can't even stop chewing to call you for a 30-second info drop. I don't need to hear someone crunching and smacking and chewing as it is - but in my EAR? When they're trying to deliver some supposedly important bit of info? And it's completely unintelligible because it's coming from behind a mouthful of rubin?

Gimmee a break.

pippi617
04-19-2006, 02:37 AM
Yes, I do love the private/discreetness of the text message. No one can over-hear you. And it doesn't require your immediate attention like the ringing of a phone does. It just politely lets you know it's there when you are ready to read it. And it keeps me entertained on those slow or crazy nights at work - it's nice to know that Bash is out there - texting me back. I have a special song set up for Bash's texts. (I have set up my dearest friend's/family with personalized ringers and text alerts so I will know who it is from across the room.) I will be busy working and in need of something to smile about - and then I hear the sweet sounds of Depeche Mode.

dejapete
04-19-2006, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Me
A woman was talking incessantly during her meal (except to chew, I suppose).

I wasn't going to post that because it might have offended some of you major phone users out there. I apologize if it did. It's just that I found it unusual, walking about the restaurant, talking on the phone. I don't get out much and observe things like that. Actually, she was helping someone with a problem. If it were me, though, I'd be more private, and not let the entire restaurant hear me.

The Queen
04-19-2006, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Steve Pariseau
I rely on my cell phone for convenience. I take call at the hospital and am not about to find a pay phone whenever the pager goes off. Like Bash, I just love the Bluetooth earpiece. It does look wierd and people mock me for having it, but **** 'em, It is SO nice not having to hold the phone up to my ear. And the Bluetooth earpiece is almost weightless so I don't even feel it anymore.

When I come to a teller (bank or post office) or cashier at a store I tell any caller that I will have to call them back. And when I do take a call in public, I am able to speak softly because my Bluetooth earpiece has a great microphone. People on the other end of the phone don't even know I'm on a wireless set up. The quality is that good.

If I was still working in a hospital I would embrace the tech more myself, they are a godsend for people who take a lot of call. I always hated the sound and feel of a pager going off and could never speak into it, then had to find a phone to return the page.

Steve, you sound like a very courteous and considerate user. I think the abusers of phones are making a lot of good people look bad. It only takes one bad apple.

Cell phones are a necessity in our world, but like everything else, we should own them, and not they own us.

Bash
04-19-2006, 10:13 AM
I have a special song set up for Bash's texts. (I have set up my dearest friend's/family with personalized ringers and text alerts so I will know who it is from across the room.) I will be busy working and in need of something to smile about - and then I hear the sweet sounds of Depeche Mode.

Awww, you're a sweetie!

Now that I have my Treo, I can do the same. Just got some MP3 editing software, so I can pick parts of songs to set alerts to. Now, for the time to do it...

preciousstone75
04-19-2006, 12:12 PM
The only thing I use mine for is EMERGENCIES or to check on my mom while I'm at work. Since her arthritis is worse, it's hard for her to get around, hence me getting a CORDLESS phone (and they get on my nerves due to the fact that everybody has them and signals get crossed! you know how you can hear people talking on your line? yuck!) for the house. I bought my son a phone so I can text YELL at him when he's late or I need to keep track of him (he's 15 and is in that "ooh, what are YOU doin'?" stage with girls), but I have made strict rules that his phone is NOT for commercial use (hence girls calling it, being I purchase his minutes). I have seen people totally abuse phones, but for those who require them, I am glad that those are the ones who use them within reason. Many an accident has happened due to car stereos and cell phones. This woman I work with saw a kid get decapitated back in the 90s because he was fiddling with his car stereo and didn't see that tractor trailer/18 wheeler. Dude was like 3 cars in front of her and she was PREGNANT at the time! If she hadn't slammed on her brakes, she (or any of her kids) wouldn't be here.

Cells are like any convenience- when used wisely, they are good. When it becomes excessive, it is more of a hindrance. And Poohkie B does NOT do contracts! I do my TMobile to Go in a heartbeat!:tup:

Jeanne Thelen
04-20-2006, 05:19 PM
I worked for At&t Wireless for 6 years and the only thing I can say is ......HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :D :rolleyes: :help:

Angiekay
04-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Wacky phone fact I found today:

Americans are taking to their cell phones. According to a report in the Dallas Morning News, a record 25.7 million Americans signed up for wireless service in 2005. That means that today, two-thirds of all Americans have a cell phone. More than half of the 207 million cell phone customers are either under contract with Cingular or Verizon.

dejapete
04-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Did you know that in Japan there are more cell phones than people?

Imagine trying to meet someone at a crowded station. That person could be less than 50 meters away. A cell phone would be very useful...

dee
05-31-2006, 06:53 PM
i don't know if someone posted this or not yet but my sister sent me a e mail today that all cell phone numbers are gonna be released to telemarketers starting june 1st i believe. here is the do not call number you can call to get on the list just make sure you call from your cell phone i already did this today it is 1-888-382-1222 dee:wave:

dejapete
05-31-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a hoax. The Federal Trade Commission posted this on their website April 15, 2005:

The Truth about Cell Phones and the National Do Not Call Registry

If you’ve received an e-mail telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database, rest assured that this is not the case. Telemarketing to cell phone numbers has always been illegal in most cases and will continue to be so. In response to recent e-mail campaigns urging consumers to place their cell phone numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry, the Federal Trade Commission and Federal Communications Commission issue this advisory to give consumers the facts.

One e-mail making the rounds says:

“JUST A REMINDER...In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS... To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888/382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS...”

Another version claims:

“The Federal Trade Commission has set up a "do not call" list. It is called a cell phone registry. To be included on the "do not call" list, you must call from the number you wish to register.”

Here’s what you need to know about the National Do Not Call Registry program:

FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers are barred from calling consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

The federal government does not maintain a national cell phone registry. Personal cell phone users have always been able to add their numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry — the same Registry consumers use to register their land lines — either online at www.donotcall.gov or by calling toll-free 1-888-382-1222 from the telephone number they wish to register. Registrations become effective within 31 days of signing up and are active for five years. There is no cut-off date or deadline for registrations.

Business-to-business calls are not covered under the Registry.

dee
06-01-2006, 04:30 AM
wow dejapete i did not know all this my sister sent me that e mail yesterday and i called it already may have made a huge mistake huh? i believe someone else sent it to her i will have to ask her who sent it? dee

Rain
08-21-2006, 05:37 AM
the other day, driving down the interstate, I saw a car with an "eternal blinker" on - then noticed the driver was busy talking on a cell. Funny thing was, there was a bumper sticker on the back of the car that said, "Hang up and DRIVE!" LOLOL

I have a cell - and glad I do - but only use it sparingly - mostly for emergencies, but also to check in with the hubby or to be easily reached when I am away from the house. I probably actually use it a few times a month.

I was on Virgin Mobile (pay-as-you-go) for several years until I moved to a spot where Virgin didn't work and went on my hubby's employer-paid-for cell plan (Verizon). He uses his ALL THE TIME but he has to for work. I put up with it because handling business over the phone allows him to be at home more often (which I guess is why I'm pregnant now - LOL).

I don't understand those who have a cell phone, though, and use it to talk endlessly about NOTHING in particular, for HOURS at a time, no matter where they are. Either they have an excellent cell phone plan, or have a LOT of money to waste. :rolleyes:

The Queen
08-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Rain

I don't understand those who have a cell phone, though, and use it to talk endlessly about NOTHING in particular, for HOURS at a time, no matter where they are.

Looks like a cell phone to me:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/VBlue/pacifierdiagram.gif

dee
03-26-2007, 04:38 AM
i am so tired of seeing people talking on their cell phones while driving they have no clue what is going on around them and don't care when they are talking! it is so sad these are the ones that are causing car accidents every day! dee:tdown: i have a cell phone but it is basically used for emergencies i don't use it much at all and when i do i am not driving that's for sure!:wave:

musegirl
03-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Here in Northern Virginia, the cell phone thing is now made even more exciting by the idiots who text on their Crackberrys while driving.

Carrie
03-26-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm surprised that 1/3 of the U.S. population doesn't have a cell phone...I thought I was the only person who doesn't have one! I suppose if I had a family or traveled a lot, I'd get one, but I just don't think I'd get my money's worth in my current situation.

Then again, it would be cool to have one and set it up with the Fixx as ringtones...they do have Fixx ringtones, don't they? Then it would make my day on the rare occasion someone would call me!

shoeman
03-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Typical of the daily grind:

Attempting to sell footwear to someone.
Cell phone rings. Discussion starts up.......

And it's yak-yak-yak-yak-yak-yak-yak-yak
yadda-yadda-yadda-yadda-yadda-yadda-yadda

:rolleyes:

ringsnthangs
08-06-2007, 02:01 PM
i think there is a time and place to use cell phones, some places it is inappropriate and in other cases its fine. they have become a way of life so i don't think we could give them up @ this point in time.

Bash
08-06-2007, 02:34 PM
There's now a service that allows you to send a text message via voice, aimed specifically at drivers (who HOPEFULLY use hands-free equipment). It's called Pinger (http://www.pinger.com).

http://www.bashful7.com/2kitties.gif

rockerchic
08-06-2007, 05:31 PM
AHHHHHHHH!!!! This woman has attention deficit disorder and has this phone glued to her. Driving and holding the phone with one hand, sometimes dialing and watching her infant son over her shoulder, hardly paying attention to the road and surroundings! :eek: Sometimes she follows behind me to our drive to the pool but I make sure I am way ahead because I am so afraid she will slam me from behind one day!:rolleyes: :eek: I even made a comment to her about it but she laughed it off. The phone rings constantly while she is in my company and I find it rude as our conversations are cut for a call that she thinks is sooooo important (but usually only small talk about nothing) and then she goes into the pool and request I pick up her phone calls while she has a swim! Like hell I will!! I refuse and soak up the rays or walk off and do my thang! Mind you I have a cell too but I use a little etiquette and respect for my visitors/guests. No call is that important unless it is a 911!

dee
08-07-2007, 04:30 AM
i agree with you rockerchic that is pretty sad!!!! i too have a cell phone but basically use it for emergencies i think i have sent 3 text messages in my lofe that was it!!! actually i don't know which is worse right now the teenagers with their text messaging or the adults? lol i have a neice who does it non-stop and i always say to her don't your fingers ever get sore? especially when people are driving at least use the hands free set ! dee:wave:

rockerchic
08-07-2007, 08:17 AM
I did not know I get charged for opening them!:eek: I have a cousin from North Carolina who decided we would stay in touch this way and little did I realize I had to pay for every text I opened an so my bill hit the roof!:eek: I have not even text her back since then nor called so she must think I don't want to stay in touch with her. She does not have e-mail so that is her ways of communicating but she was sending just one liners to say hi along with pictures of her and her children. These phone companies sure know how to make their $$$$$! I guess I should let my cousin know we will have to talk in the late evening when the phone rates are free or a little less.

dee
08-07-2007, 05:51 PM
oh yeah rockerchic these phone companies nickel and dime you to death then all the taxes and surcharges just pathetic dee:wave: :mad:

rockerchic
08-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I did think of something very positive about my cell - I use it to give people when I sign up for things which means all telemarketers will only get my cell voicemail and never get me. Even though my home phone has caller I.D. the phone still rings and disrupts the home, but my with cell I don't keep the ringer on loud so mostly the voice service picks up. I now have a long list of names of callers from some "Sundance Vacation company" that will get a return call as I ask for all those names and then remind them that if they would have taken my name off their list at the 1st call I ever had received from them perhaps all those others would not have wasted there time. I am truly evil when it comes to telemarketers!:devil:
Did I write about the call that came when I was away at Hershey? It was for Mary Kay Cosmetics. The same darned street festival that got me on Sundance's call list. First let me back track for a moment here, - I was supposed to be at this arts/craft street fair but it turned out to be a pool of sharks baiting for telemarketing sales! YIKES:rolleyes: These people followed me around row to row like beggars and they were begging to just sign up as they just needed names to show their day's work. Okay so that is when I decide to only give a cell number since somebody may still try to call. Now back to Hershey so my phone kept ringing so I finally pick up and I get this woman that says I am 1 of the 3 lucky winners to get a complete makeover ( Yeah so maybe I may need one - huh?) SO ANYWAY I laugh at her (imagine with a lil' sarcasm in my voice) and tell her wow what a lucky day I had and she said oh why? I go on about how I won a trip and eligibility to win an Infinity and now a makeover. Not knowing what next to say she asks if I have had a Mary kay Consultant so I lie and say yes but only once. She wants to know why? I say I am allergic and can't use many products so I am not interested. In a huff she says well then next time tell people instead of wasting their time signing up for these things. I reminded her she chased me to sign up and the conversation ended. :D :devil:
What shall I make my ringtone be? "One Thing Lead to Another?"" Saved By Zero?" ( Of course both Fixx songs) "The Devil Inside" devil: (INXS), or "Call Me" by Blondie or "Words" by Missing Persons
Edited to add a funny song I just remembered by Julian Cope "World Shut Your Mouth"

dee
08-08-2007, 03:44 AM
pretty funny rockerchic!! i like that you did a good job with the telemarketers we don't get too many at home as we screen our calls but at work i have no choice but to answer the phone my favorite thing to do is when they call and ask for me i say who's calling please? then when they tell me what company they are from i say oh she just stepped out to run a errand! then when they call later i say oh she left for the day i just keep them going love doing that i like the devil inside by inxs for a ringtone that would be a good one for you! lol dee:wave: :tup:

rockerchic
08-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi Dee! Isn't it funny how those telemarketers don't get it? They will just keep trying. One kept trying to call my home in search of my husband but would never say who they were and from what organization which I thought was odd. One day I tricked them and said oh yes he's here, let me get him and finally got them to say who they were and what organization. It was some type of fundraiser and I could not make out what the caller said but then I let her have it. They certainly won't be calling here again!

The Queen
08-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Telemarketers....I just ask them to give me the name of their company and the product they are selling so that I make sure I get it straight, because should I ever need thier product, I will make sure to never use them, since we refuse to buy or support any companies that use telemarketing!

We get very few calls anymore, and the few that slip by get the 'treatment' and realize they lost a customer now or ever in the future.

I call it reverse marketing. This is how I find out who NOT to do business with. It's so easy.

dee
08-09-2007, 04:59 AM
yes the same telemarketers call every day at work for my bosses i have two and every day i correct the way they pronounce their last names and say try again in fact i had one yesterday that kept trying the dummy i just kept saying try again then finally i said forget it and told her the correct pronounciation of his name!! then when she asked if he was in i said no mike is never in the office he is always out on the field which is true she got a little upset and said bye and hung up oh well i don't think she will be calling again anytime soon lol dee:wave:

rockerchic
08-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I like the Queen and Dee's approaches. I am giggling out loud here!:laugh:

dee
08-10-2007, 05:07 AM
hey rockerchic i had one call yesterday for my boss it was a guy and he said can i speak with the owner of the company ? i said no he is not in today? and then there was a pause and he said well can i leave him a message? and i said yeah sure in a voice that meant yeah right? he then proceeded to give me his phone number and name and i said ok i will tell him you called and he said yeah okay thanks like he knew i had no intention of telling my boss a thing besides the fact i never write down the phone numbers i just say yeah when they are giving them to me lol dee:wave:

Bash
08-10-2007, 09:27 AM
No telemarketers here - if i don't recognize the # on the ID screen, I don't answer. If people really need to reach me, they'll leave a message and I'll call 'em right back. But I do enjoy The Queen's approach.

There's another I heard about: Let's them start their "spiel" and then put the phone down and go about your business for a few minutes. Then quietly hang up the phone. Especially nice to just let it lay there for a while if it doesn't cost you anything. Perhaps leave the receiver next to the TV for their entertainment...

Steve Pariseau
08-10-2007, 06:36 PM
My coworker Alex has the best one yet... He gives the telemarketer calls to his 2 year old girl who just loves to talk on the phone :D

rockerchic
08-10-2007, 09:58 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

shoeman
08-16-2007, 06:52 PM
What I don't like about tele-marketing people:
*Deception
*Arrogance
*Pushiness

Those who work in a phone room have to earn a living, too. Just like the rest of us. I understand that. But if they call me, they need to identify themselves, practice the Golden Rule, and be straightforward and polite. But this rarely happens, right? So I don't converse with them very often. And I'll just put the phone down and walk off.

And I'm with Bash.
I use that Caller-ID screen every time.

rockerchic
08-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Shoeman, you made all the right points about these callers. I finally told two off yesterday as they got me in a cranky mood at the right time. The first one calls and asks for me and I said you don't have to tell me who you are, allow me, "you are from Sundance Vacations". She said, "No I am not from Sundance but you have filled out an entree for a Home Depot Gift Card which has yet to be submitted but I am calling you with an offer for a vacation." HUH????? Did I not sound already annoyed by the thought of a vacation company calling me? She clearly was lying and was from Sundance because her voice is on my voicemail from all of her previous calls. So now here is me - "I don't care what vacation company you are with, you need to remove my number from your list because I don't want your offer or gift of anything> You call me every day and it is very annoying and now it will stop!" She was totally dumbfounded.
The 2nd call comes in about 15 minutes later - "This is Joyce with Sundance Vacations" - I cut her right there and finished her spiel for her and then said the same thing I told the 1st caller and asked for my name to come off the list. She goes to give me her name and number but it turned out she was doing it to reassure me that if anyone calls me again, to call her and she will be sure to get my number off the list. Now why would we need to do that if my number was to be off that instant that I requested it?????? My next plan of attack is to keep my list of dates and caller names and then call the company's supervisor. I think in this state we can sue when you have been asked to be on the do not call list and the person persists. I may look into that.;)

dee
08-17-2007, 04:38 AM
hey rockerchic that is pretty annoying i would have done the same thing in your case that is b.s. i too have the same people calling me at work they call on the one line first then they call on the second or third line and i tell them you just called her 5 minutes ago and they say oh is this the same place i called duh!!!! i believe you can sue them if they call you constantly and you are on the do not call list not sure though? hey try to have a good weeked rockerchic i am going to see chris daughtrey at the fair tonight here and staying at my neice's jennifer;s til sunday night so iwill talk to you all when i get back take care dee:wave:

The Queen
08-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Another sure fire way to get your name permanently off the lists of these people that solicit for donations is to be one of the recipients of their generous charity! so when you actually ask THEM for money and say 'are YOU the guy that can help me get some MONEY? I need MONEY!' type questions, trust me they will hang up on you so fast and remove your name to never call you back that it's a downright shame on them.

This is why I never give anyone anything, esp. my time.