PDA

View Full Version : Sirius underplaying The Fixx?

Mick Warwell
04-23-2006, 08:09 PM
For those who have listened to Sirius First Wave and Big 80's channels...
I've only ever heard them play just five Fixx songs:
Stand or Fall, Red Skies, One Thing, Saved By Zero and Are We Ourselves?

I've never heard "Sign of Fire", "How Much Is Enough?" or others. I've tried to request "Secret Separation" numerous times but they haven't played it yet. They can't argue it wasn't a big enough hit since it was a #1 rock track and a top 20 pop hit. And yet they routinely play tracks from other groups that failed to even hit the hot 100, especially on first wave channel.

There seems to be some bias amongst the programmers at play. Instead of including all new wave hits from all new wave groups and then randomly playing them.. they seem to have decided upon the same ~120 songs and just keep rotating them.

For example, on some groups like Depeche Mode and Echo and the Bunnyman they will dig deep into their catalog. I must have heard around twenty different Echo songs on first wave despite them never cracking a singles chart in America. But when it comes to The Fixx who hit the Hot 100 10 times and the rock chart 14 times, they'll only play the abovementioned 5 songs. Other hit groups are similarly underplayed.

Anyone else notice this? They seem to be kinda narrow in their programming. Anyone else starting to notice the same songs played all the time on First Wave?

Jeanne Thelen
04-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Funny... outside of Stand or Fall.. Those are the exact same songs that are on the DVD...that was relaease a few years ago by Century something rather (??????) I wonder if the record companies have something to do with this ...*SHRUG* about what can be played .....

Mick Warwell
04-24-2006, 03:00 PM
The version of "Are We Ourselves?" that they play has the intro removed too. Some of the DJ's have a penchant for announcing them as "Cy Curnin & The Fixx" instead of "The Fixx". I've heard them do that many times. Maybe that is just one particular first wave dj that does that.

Steve Pariseau
04-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Having them introduced as "Cy Curnin and The Fixx" would actually be a good thing for Cy's solo album. Saying the name Cy Curnin puts awareness out there and people could then look and find Mayfly.

A long shot, yes, but I think it is a good thing.

Shame on them for only playing 5 tunes.

I think I'll get XM Radio instead.
Seriously.

Mick Warwell
04-24-2006, 11:30 PM
It is good to hear Cy get some name recognition. It didn't bother me, it just struck me odd that one or more dj's on first wave are making a point of doing that almost every Fixx song. And yet they are pretty shallow when it comes to delving into their catalog. Perhaps he impressed them personally as a nice guy when visiting sirius some months ago? And now those deejays are throwing some limelight his way.

As for the underplaying of their catalog it could be due to the fact that Richard Blade, a Brit, I believe is chief of programming for the channel. He may be as dismissive of the band as British critics and deejays have been. This would also explain why his favorite band Echo & The Bunnymen are played incessantly and on just about every promo and have been featured in interviews and guest spots many times in the past year. I like them fine but more variety would be nice.

XM does appear to play more Fixx even deep enough into their catalog to play "Shred of Evidence", for example.

Jeanne Thelen
04-25-2006, 09:22 AM
I think that it would bother Cy that they are being introduced as Cy Curnin and the Fixx ... Because he is about unity for the band.. when someone asked him if any of his solo material would appear on the set list .. he said that it "would be up to the other band members...." I do not think he is about status and this is and always has been a joint effort ...a brotherhood among the members....and ego's seem to be checked in at the door where the band is concerned

Diamond05
04-25-2006, 03:19 PM
im not so sure i'd request songs from a band that I already own their entire catalog-
why request it and wait- when i have it all at my fingertips/ipod?

I would probably ask for things that i havent heard in a long time that i dont own, or maybe something i used to have and loaned to someone and never got it returned (old girlfriends!)... LOL!

At one time long ago.... i used to used the radio as a medium to discover new talent and hear fresh sounds (from up and coming bands). Now being older are we destined like out parents to listen to the oldies channel every saturday night! (Now 80s= oldies!) LOFL!

But i hope they do get past the introductory/beginner's layer of groove tunes of the fixx...

It's really a shame since some of the fixx's leftovers are better than most bands claim to fame!

:)

d3

tenohtwo
04-26-2006, 03:46 PM
SIRIUS has played "Secret Separation" numerous times. It just depends on when you're listening. That being said, SIRIUS does need to deepen their playlists a bit. There's a theory on the SIRIUS message boards that it's an issue with licensing vs. bandwidth costs. Can't say much about that, but all we can do as listeners is keep sending in requests for the other songs. I wouldn't expect to hear anything too deep, as First Wave seems to be formatted to play the 'big' alternative/new wave hits from the past (there are some exceptions). They could also either re-vamp or do away with Dark Wave, a Sunday night show that supposed to focus on more 'gothic' new wave, but basically plays the same songs that get regular airplay during the week. I do know that feedback can make a difference. It has affected playlists on a few stations on XM and SIRIUS, and has caused the demise/resurrection of entire stations, too.

I'm still happy with SIRIUS overall, but First Wave could use some fresh music from that era *cough*The Chameleons*cough*