PDA

View Full Version : A New Trinity

dejapete
06-22-2006, 08:57 PM
This was in the news recently.

Rock, Paper, Scissors would get my vote...

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- The divine Trinity--"Father, Son and Holy Spirit"--could also be known as "Mother, Child and Womb" or "Rock, Redeemer and Friend" at some Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) services under an action Monday by the church's national assembly.

Delegates to the meeting voted to "receive" a policy paper on gender-inclusive language for the Trinity, a step short of approving it. That means church officials can propose experimental liturgies with alternative phrasings for the Trinity, but congregations won't be required to use them.

SilentGeoff
06-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Manny, Moe & Jack?

Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds?

:cheers:

rockerchic
06-23-2006, 10:07 AM
In the Name of the Father, The Son, and The Holy Spicket

I better not go there making the jokes that are flying in my head! My daughter is getting Christened on Sunday and the church may just cave in on my head!

dejapete
06-23-2006, 05:26 PM
At first, I was being silly and poking fun. But if you think about it, it makes sense.

Rock - God, foundation, base of all being

Paper - Christ, the Word, as written in the Bible*

Scissors - Spirit, that cuts you deep to the heart

And like the game, no single element can dominate the other two.

*edited

rockerchic
06-24-2006, 01:20 PM
That is an excellent revelation Dejapete! I think I will be chuckling at Mass tomorrow! :laugh: :angel:

rockerchic
06-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Mass was quite intense. The priest was I believe Haitian and hard to understand at times. The only things that stood out was that the sermon was about John Newton and how the song "Amazing Grace" was created by him. John Newton became the word of the day and eventually a joke about becoming a "Shots game" for every time the name mentioned, a drink to be taken.
My "Screamin" Demon" began her wails just moments before the Christening began. Naturally being the nut that I am, I asked Father if he could perform an exorcism instead. WHOOOAAAAA! Can't joke with a catholic priest! He gave me a very strange look and the rest of the painstaking, guilt stricken sermon or shall I say lecture seemed to aim right at me directly! YIKESSSS!!!!!! There were 2 sets of twins also getting Christened but all of the sudden I became the focus of the usual Catholic Crucifixion of how we need to attend Church more often as well as recruiting our young ones. He had already gave us this during the Mass but now he had stood there eye to eye with that speech drilling through my head. I felt I should have bent over and been flogged for being such the sinner!!!!!The baby's Godmother too felt it was aimed at us as she had recently become a Parishioner for the sake of her role and obviously that was not good enough. So now I changed the words of Amazing Grace just a little to to where it says " Saved A Wretch Like Me" to "Saved a Wench Like Me"!:devil: I know my cousin -in -law who is an Episcopalian Minister would get a chuckle from this. I can be so open and free with the strange humor with him but now know my place in the Catholic church if I ever return>:angel: NOT

P.S. - Hi Mizhu I know you are lurking!!!!!! Now sign on and tell these good people the truth that I am a nice person!:laugh:

Dallas
07-06-2006, 02:16 AM
ha ha rockerchic that is a bit scary if you ask me..lol

Watch what ya say to a Catholic priest is what I learned from it..heh

I picked this one up at a family gathering in TN a few months ago. I was
roflmao when I heard it. Maybe had to have been there...........

Justin Timberlake's grandfather is a Baptist minister.

...SuperBowl Sunday a few years back, he told the whole church to:
"Be sure and watch the Super Bowl today....little Justin is gonna be
performing there."

ROFLMAO!!!!!

It still cracks me up. I cant imagine what the following Wednesday was
like at church.

The Grandfather, the Grandson and the Holy Shirt

:devil:

rockerchic
07-06-2006, 07:50 AM
HEE HEE HEE! That's funny Dallas! The :devil: made him do it!

shoeman
08-14-2006, 10:11 PM
This meeting of the PC-USA was held in our area back in June.

I saved the newspaper article.
And some of the other proposed variations included:

"Rainbow of Promise, Ark of Salvation and Dove of Peace"
"Speaker, Word and Breath"
"Giver, Gift and Giving"

Using the term "Breath" to suggest the Holy Spirit is actually correct.

The Greek word for Spirit is PNEUMA.

Which means: "a breath of air."

preciousstone75
08-23-2006, 01:14 PM
How's this?

Groucho, Chico, and Harpo!

Moe, Larry, Curly

Moe, Larry, Shemp

Ed, Edd, and Eddie!

Grim, Billy, and Mandy!

:D