PDA

View Full Version : Hello and Best Wishes!

Robert M
01-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, guess what, until yesterday I had no idea this place even existed.

You've probably heard it all before but I am one of those people who was a huge FIXX fan in the early days but then completely lost touch with the band and what they were up to.

I was 13 when they first appeared on an old UK music show called "The Old Grey Whistle Test". They performed Lost Planes, Cameras In Paris and, I think, Red Skies. I could not believe how fresh and different they sounded, even to someone lucky enough to have cool parents who brought me up on Dylan, Hendrix, The Doors etc. etc.

Shuttered Room quickly became my favourite album - I used to lie on the floor, head between my speakers, inventing little dramas and short films that the songs would soundtrack. I had (sadly, not any more) Red Skies on red 7" vinyl and whichever 12" single it was that had the extended dance version of Sinking Island.

Anyway, I gradually lost touch with the band's career - I read that they were doing well in the States but it didn't happen for them back home and the music press soon lost interest.

So, more than 20 years later, I sat last night thinking "What records from way back should I be searching out on CD?" I wrote down a few things and then it just came to me: the FIXX. My first reaction was "No, there's no way their stuff will be available now." But, when I searched on Amazon, what did I find but a whole bunch of albums!!!

I have ordered Shuttered Room (it should arrive sometime next week) and, I tell you, if it sounds half as great now as it did back then, I will be very happy indeed. I mean, a 38-yr old married father of three with a teaching job shouldn't be this excited!!!

So, if you've read this far (lol), I have just one question: which album next?

Any advice would be much appreciated - thx in advance.

Take care,

Robert

SilentGeoff
01-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Welcome aboard mate!

Have fun and enjoy the board....it's a fun place to be....

:cheers:

As for what CD you should look for next I would say Reach The Beach[Try to find one of the extended versions of it....the bonus tracks are cool to have] or the King Biscuit Flower Hour presents The Fixx In Concert live one....it's from the 1982 tour and really is a great representation of how the guys sounded in the early days.

Once again welcome aboard....

Have a great time here.......

:tup: :cheers: :D :goodie:

Robert M
01-06-2007, 02:51 PM
:cheers: Thx Geoff.

Yeah, I remember Reach the Beach - "Outside" is a beautiful song.

What about the more recent albums - how has the band's sound developed?

Jeanne Thelen
01-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi Robert...
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading your story just sent me back in time( shivers down my spine included) when I rediscovered the Fixx and this board....so YES.... You should be THIS EXCITED to re discover this wonderful band..it has lead to many wonderful adventures for all of us ...:)

You will find a great community here, dedicated to the band whole heartedly....

Many of us have traveled from afar, England, Germany and even Australia to attend concerts and meet and get to know one another... and the band as well.. there are many wonderful stories that we have all shared... I encourage you to dig around and read some old threads....

Yes ... Shuttered Room is just as thrilling as it was in the 80's.... and There latest CD Want that Life(2002) is beyond excellent and proves that this band is still one of the best around......A new CD is going to be released sometime this year.

All of us are dedicated to spreading the word and music.. so if we can do anything to help you locate CD's, information, ETC... just ask.....

WELCOME to the board....
cheers mate,

Jeanne :)

Robert M
01-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Thank you so much! I have a feeling that I'll be dipping deep into the pockets over the next few weeks!!!

:cheers: And a new album - looks like perfect timing for me!

Jeanne Thelen
01-06-2007, 03:07 PM
brought a few old thread forward in Lighthouse that you may want to add too.....

How I became a Fixx Fan
and
Favorite Fixx memories

ENJOY....
Have fun exploring.....:) :)

Robert M
01-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Thx Jeanne. I'll catch up as and when I have the time.

I've ordered "Want That Life" - I intend to apply the classic "pincer" movement to the band's discography!

Beached Male
01-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Robert,
Welcome. Noticed you enjoy "Outside" from RTB. Try getting a copy of the album 1011 Woodlands eventually (not necessarily next), and take a listen of that version of Outside. A very good one in my opinion.

Next album should definitely be Reach the Beach, but make sure it's the newer remastered one (with long versions of "One Thing...", "Saved by Zero", etc).

After that, you should flip a coin and listen to either "Phantoms" or "Walkabout", although the latter is difficult to buy at this point.

Enjoy,
BM

dee
01-07-2007, 03:19 PM
welcome to the board robert you will love it here dee:wave: :goodie: :wave:

shoeman
01-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Hello Robert!!

I had a similar experience to yours.
Re-discovered the band, then bought the CD's.
Then found the forum about two years ago.

So GLAD you signed up with us!!
Happy listening and happy chatting. Enjoy it all.

John

:)

Bash
01-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Welcome!
http://www.bashful7.com/kitten.gif

fixxfanatic
01-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Welcome to our board Robert!

You will probably find that there are many things on each Fixx album that you enjoy....even though the mood may have changed, because their music is so transcending, you'll find things about each album that touch you deeply. You will also find that the people on this board have feelings that run deep for the band, and for things in life in general. I believe that the guys in the band are uniquely gifted with music in their soul, hence, they attract the same kind of depth in others (i.e. their fans). I don't find a lot of superficiality in these fans. You're gonna love being a part of our "family"!

preciousstone75
01-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Well, it is good to meet you! Don't be fooled by those of us who post often- we all love the Fixx equally here! But I'd recommend "Phantoms" next (because it's MY favorite!). There are some amazing tunes there, and a lot of us here have a common favorite from that, being Woman on a Train.

There's never a dull moment in these parts. Welcome

from a fellow instructor and Fixx fan

Robert M
01-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Thx all of you for the heads-up and, more especially, the warm welcome.

I'll be contributing heavily, I'm sure, just as soon as I get the albums!

:)

The Queen
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Welcome! and buy all their albums, something good on each one.

Robert M
01-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Well, I now have "Shuttered Room" and it sounds better than it ever did (the track listing is different but "I Found You" and "The Strain" are excellent).

"Want That Life" should arrive in a day or two; "Phantoms" is coming from the States so will take a couple of weeks.

I have now ordered "Reach The Beach" and a nice cheap copy of "Elemental" - can I get a Scooby snack?! :)

And you're right, Beached Male - "Walkabout" is available but very expensive! It'll have to wait, I'll have plenty to keep me going...

Jeanne Thelen
01-10-2007, 03:49 PM
You should get more than a scooby snack... but a big old high five....:)

:tup:

you have been very busy....:)

Walkabout is hard to find.. and if you buy it on EBAY .. you can count on it being over 20.00... it is a rare item.. I actually saw it in a second hand store whilst out and about in Uptown(Minneapolis) and I should have bought it then for 5.99 ...but wandred off with the thought... Oh well... we have a copy coming from Germany... and I can always go back for it ... YEAH... right ... went back 10 days later and it was LONG GONE... so my sugguestion is look around at second hand stores... when you see it.. buy it .. there is always someone on the board looking for it... lesson learned :(

Elemental is One of my TOP FAVS... Two Different Views ...love that song.. the rest of the cd is just AWESOME....

Enjoy catching up...:)

Beached Male
01-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Robert,
Another recommendation-
You may want to try and buy either the Disc Live through the website here, or try and buy the Las Vegas show on the FixxStixx. Either way, you can end up with some great live tracks. I have both, and really like hearing the three newest songs on them. The Vegas show is one of the better quality recordings to date (any other opinions out there on FixxStixx concerts that are good recordings?).

Oh, don't forget "Ink". That is actually easy to come by, but bear in mind it is viewed by some fans as a more commercial tinted effort, because of the external help of other musicians. I still like it, especially "No One Has to Cry", "All the Best Things (are free)" the one track produced by Rupert Hine and "How Much is Enough".

Take care, enjoy the tunes.
BM

preciousstone75
01-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I picked up my copy of it @ a pawn shop about seven years ago. Then I walked into FYE last year and saw it on the shelf (say it with me, people "DUH!"). Before then I was unable to find it. But it's a good copy. Looks like it had a lot of love too, so I'm happy with it. I still have yet to take my time and explore it track by track, but I do whip it out. I find it hard to leave Phantoms alone for a month so it stays in plain view where I can locate it easily. I have some to catch up on myself, so happy hunting to you, sir.

still get Phantoms ASAP!:D

Robert M
01-11-2007, 12:03 PM
"Want That Life" is, on first listen, a very warm and relaxed album.

Obviously, they're a different band nowadays - I was expecting that. I like the tone and feel of Gary Tibbs' playing - he's changed a lot from his Adam & the Ants days but haven't we all!

The Fixx still have a lot to offer, that's for definite. They sound like they really enjoy playing together and I'm sure that's reflected in their live performances. Thx for the heads-up on the Vegas show - I'll get that when funds allow!

Robert M
01-12-2007, 03:19 PM
It's funny how, when you hear an album for the first time in years, it immediately throws up things you never thought of.

For example, on "Reach The Beach", Jamie's playing reminds me a lot of what Robbie Blunt (another hugely underrated guitarist) was doing with Robert Plant at around the same time. "Outside" especially - I remembered the tune but not the chords, swells and phrasing!

"Elemental" is definitely going to become a favourite - I adore the song structures, chord changes and the whole drive of the album! "Is That It?" and "Life's What's Killing Me" are huge favourites already.

So now I'm just waiting for "Phantoms" - I can't afford anything more just yet but I'm loving what I have...

I saw a documentary about Jeff Buckley a while back and, in it, Brad Pitt (yeah, we're very alike! ;) ) was saying that, when he first heard "Grace" he was like "Where have I been? Do I know nothing?" That's kinda the way I feel about the FIXX right now!