PDA

View Full Version : The Fixx "NOT" at Live Aid '85

CYbergirl
02-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Hello all you cool Fixx Fans, there's been a question on my mind all these years. (taunting me). WHY wasn't the Fixx at Live Aid? Wouldn't everybody agree that they had as much right to be there as any of the perfomers that day? Not only we're they at the height of their career, but they were just as much global thinkers as any band could be. Just check their lyrics. If anyone has any insight to this "mystery" just throw it out there. thanks all!

Liliana

Jeanne Thelen
02-16-2007, 01:08 PM
I agree with you on everything... on the why they were not there.. the world may never know.. they should have been...

that is why the "live earth" would be such an awesome gig for them...to show the world what they were about and still are.... :) :)

Robert M
02-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Meh...there were a lot of "political" issues at the time.

Personally, any respect I had for Bono and Bob Geldof (great autobiography) ended on that day and I've seen nothing since to change my mind.

Ultimately, The Fixx were better off out of it - as were Madness (20+ UK Top Ten hits and uninvited) and Prince (declined - very wise).

Gee...I'm not in the best of moods tonight, am I?! Feel free to criticise...

Mick Warwell
02-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Well Brits arranged the concert and The Fixx were relatively unknown in Britain at the time. It would have been wise to schedule them on the stateside event given their popularity in the U.S. but I guess they didn't think it through.

tenohtwo
02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Someone should shoot Rupert or Adam a PM and ask. Maybe they were invited, and declined?

I think if Live Aid had been in '83, The Fixx definitely would've been there. They were sort-of off the radar in '85, if you think about it. Phantoms was a year old, and not a huge commercial hit either. They could have been busy recording tracks for Better Off Dead and Fletch, and writing for Walkabout, too. I really don't think they'd decline an invitation to play in front of such a big audience. If Geldof wasn't a Fixx fan, or oblivious to their success, then that's probably a big part of it. Not sure how much say he had in picking the bands, either. I'm sure the whole thing was a huge nightmare to put together. I enjoyed it for what it was. Simple Minds and U2 were the highlights.

CYbergirl
02-21-2007, 03:02 PM
hey tenohtwo, that's some great insight. thanks : )

I caught that referance to "Naked Gun" You're dang funny!

Liliana

Steve Pariseau
02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
I heard this story from another fan some time ago about The Fixx not being at Live Aid. It went sort of like this...

The Fixx were indeed invited to perform at Live Aid 1985. Just coming off the success of the tour in support of Phantoms and entering the studio to record Walkabout, one or more managing figures, or someone high up somewhere felt they should not detract from that momentum that had been gained and wanted them to stay in the studio. The Fixx watched Live Aid on the tele at the studio and thought...

"...we've just missed the boat..."

I'm sure there is more to the story, those are the tidbits that I remember.

Diamond05
02-21-2007, 10:41 PM
woulda coulda shoulda...

who cares- that was way too long ago to matter now! LOL!