PDA

View Full Version : God Bless America

EVELYN
09-12-2001, 08:51 PM
I just read the Lighthouse mailing list and feel I need to express my opinion on the religion issue. Until now I have refrained from commenting on this topic. Many have expressed that certain members of The FIXX don't believe in God and that their lyrics have an atheist slant. I have always felt that their lyrics were meant to make you question the beliefs that you were taught by organized religion but still very spiritual. I was raised by a Baptist mom and a Methodist dad and attended both churches. I attended a private(Catholic) school from 3rd grade through 12th and took religion class every year with Mass about every other day. Talk about confusion. I don't attend church now because I could never understand why the Baptists thought the Catholics would go to Hell and vice versa,etc....... I was told that I was not worthy to receive communion in the Catholic church because I wasn't Catholic and didn't go through the First Communion ceremony. I was only 10 yrs old and couldn't understand how a kid could be unworthy to receive the body and blood of Christ. I would often sit in church and listen to people gossip about others in attendance during the service. The straw that broke the camel's back was the time I took a mentally handicapped neighbor to Bible school with me. A group of us were playing dodge ball in the church parking lot and he was being pelted badly. I looked over to the group of teachers for help and they were all laughing at him-including the minister. Those "men of God" disgust me to this day. However, I still believe in one God,
the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth,in whom ALL things are possible. I am neither weak nor feeble minded and have decided this all on my own despite what I was spoon fed as a child. As for why God "lets" things happen,read a Bible. We were given free will and there is evil in this world. WE choose to do evil things and sometimes bad things just happen but, if we look to God for guidance we will always come out on top.
Evelyn

itizuki
09-13-2001, 10:13 AM
I will comment here as well. I was raised southern baptist and have experienced the pentecostal faith as well. The last church that I attended was called non-denominational. I am so sick of seeing these so called people of God on TV asking for money or preaching about how you need to sow a seed to get a blessing from God (send money)... God is LOVE, the greatest thing a person can do is to be willing to die so that others may live. The reason why this country is #1 is because it is based on these ideas. This is truly a wake up call to all Americans that if we turn our back on God, He will turn His back on us. I am talking about the God of Abraham, Moses and Joshua, creator of Heaven and Earth - and of us all. This is what I believe and I am not ashamed to say it. I hope that the band does have faith in God, but each person must make that choice for themselves. Take Care, Kat

itsmephil
09-17-2001, 08:19 AM
Hi all,

It's been such a rough week for all. We had a beautiful candlelight vigil last night with a prayer service. What I find a shame is that we all come together as a nation in prayer and as Americans only when something like this happens. It just seems to me people call to God in times of tragedy to either pray or so say "How could you let this happen?".

How many are actually calling to him on a daily basis? Believe me I'm just as guilty of this as the next person. To me, I feel this is what we need to change as a nation.

For the athiests, I always wondered, how do you cope with a situation like this other than to bash follewers of God? What do you do?

Thanks.

EVELYN
09-17-2001, 08:39 PM
Itsn't it ironic that the same govt. that bans school prayer and won't allow religious themed programs at Christmas, etc. gather together and sing God Bless America and encourage everyone to pray for help in tragic times. IMO all religions should be taught in school. Not in depth, just an overview of the basic fundamentals of each faith. I also think a morality class should be taught because I don't think that a lot of kids are being taught the things that they should be at home. The first steps to acceptance and tolerance are knowledge and understanding. When I was a little girl, my parents taught me "The Golden Rule"- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I think if this is taught to children at a very young age, the world would become a much better place. Right now, I think the world has more of a -do unto others before they do unto you- mentality and it's pretty sad. My hope is that these tragic events will bring people of all nations, no matter what their religion, closer to God and each other.
Evelyn

Octopulse
09-18-2001, 04:13 AM
Some Interesting views going round here. Let me make a point about the religious issue that was brought to mind when I heard President Bush refering to the coming struggle to defeat terrorism as the "New Crusade" It is obvious to me that while Bush is a proven leader in domestic affairs that he lacks understanding of views from other parts of the world. His choice of words was extremely poor. To many Americans and Europeans the word "Crusade" brings to mind thoughts of Christian soldiers marching to war in the name of God in an attempt to reclaim the holyland. But to the majority of the people who live in the countries that we need the support of at this time, such as Egypt, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Jordan among others, the word "Crusade" only brings to mind the wholesale slaughter of countless numbers of people at the hands of so-called Christians. President Bush's poor rhetoric on this one can only serve to undermine his intentions.

Octo