PDA

View Full Version : Tony Blair

shoeman
06-27-2007, 10:27 PM
He has stepped down as British Prime Minister.
His successor is Gordon Brown.

Tony Blair served as Prime Minister since 1997.
He was well-received during the early part of his term, but recently his approval rating had dropped to 23%. Criticism against him was on the increase. There were some who were not pleased with his alliance with U.S. President George W. Bush on the war in Iraq. There were other controversies that diminished his popularity. And now he no longer resides at #10 Downing Street.

Just wondering what our Fixxtures in Britain think about this?
Or anybody else?

miked26
06-28-2007, 01:56 AM
Basically, I agree with the masses. He was a good prime minister doing the right thing until his dark days started when he kissed "Dubya's" *** and became his puppet. :tdown:

Wilkie UK
06-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Hmm, it's always difficult to assess a PM who's only just left. In terms of what he did for the country, he did a pretty good job. Of course, he will be mostly remembered for his involvement in the invasion of Iraq. Many people in the UK do not see why UK troops are still there, and only see it as an exercise to keep in with Bush.
BTW, I don't see Gordon Brown as a lap dog, somehow ;)

rockerchic
06-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Wilkie UK
Hmm, it's always difficult to assess a PM who's only just left. In terms of what he did for the country, he did a pretty good job. Of course, he will be mostly remembered for his involvement in the invasion of Iraq. Many people in the UK do not see why UK troops are still there, and only see it as an exercise to keep in with Bush.
BTW, I don't see Gordon Brown as a lap dog, somehow ;)

Most people in the U.S. do not see why our troops or anyone's troops are still there as well, please tell me there are other reasons for Mr. Blair to step down????? I believe our President is a total idiot and wonder why any leader would form an alliance with him.

Wilkie UK
06-29-2007, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by rockerchic
Most people in the U.S. do not see why our troops or anyone's troops are still there as well, please tell me there are other reasons for Mr. Blair to step down????? I believe our President is a total idiot and wonder why any leader would form an alliance with him. The whole Iraq situation has nothing to do with Blair leaving; he'd gone as far as he could, as PM, and wanted to have someone else in the driving seat, well before the next general election.

rockerchic
06-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks Wilkie for cluing me in for a better understanding!

preciousstone75
06-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Is it just me, or does Dubya seem more like Palpatine these days?

just wondering:shh:

spin it
07-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Blair himself was a decent enough bloke but his choice of allies was a bit puzzling,Mr President ,nuff said but also the most disgusting person to ever live John Prescott.:wave: see ya Tony.Lets hope Browns got the balls for the job.

Wilkie UK
07-03-2007, 04:24 AM
Brown has had a baptism of fire (almost literally!).:mad:

STUART
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
My opinion of Gordon Brown has increased dramatically over the last month, never had a liking for the guy but his handling of recent events and the way he has put words into action show he's a great PM.

Puzzles me though with British politics is how a PM can become PM without actually being elected, I mean, when we voted in the election, we voted for Tony Blair, (at least I did anyway), so in order for a new PM to come into office simply by becoming the new leader of the party is wrong. The Prime Minister should be elected by the people and not slipped in through the backdoor, if an election were held tomorrow, he'd win outright anyway, but at least it would be fair and transparent.

Wilkie UK
08-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by STUART
My opinion of Gordon Brown has increased dramatically over the last month, never had a liking for the guy but his handling of recent events and the way he has put words into action show he's a great PM.

Puzzles me though with British politics is how a PM can become PM without actually being elected, I mean, when we voted in the election, we voted for Tony Blair, (at least I did anyway), so in order for a new PM to come into office simply by becoming the new leader of the party is wrong. The Prime Minister should be elected by the people and not slipped in through the backdoor, if an election were held tomorrow, he'd win outright anyway, but at least it would be fair and transparent. I think it works like this; we all vote for who we want as out local MP. The party with the most MPs (or the overall majority), gets to run the country.
The party then make their leader (previuosly chosen) to be PM. So, they could change the PM as many times as they liked, and we'd have no choice in the matter.