PDA

View Full Version : FIXX music used as TV promo bed

bert_wdha
07-09-2007, 01:58 PM
In case you haven't noticed, I'm in a very CHATTY mood today. It's my 3rd post already!

When I was writing about hearing The FIXX at a baseball game, I remembered the band's music being used on a television channel.

It was used on Channel 29 in Philadelphia for their coverage of Flyers hockey. They would use "One Thing Leads to Another" for all of the promos for the game that night, as well as for the open and close to the broadcast, and for most of the "bumpers" when the broadcast went to commercial.

Was it used for anything similar in other parts of the country/world?

Thanks FIXXtures.

Bert

WDHA-FM

Beached Male
07-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Bert,
Here's a rarity probably never mentioned before at this message board, that ties in both with your sports message and T.V. promo.

In the December 1988 to January 1989 period, when the Cincinnati Bengals (NFL) were marching to Super Bowl XXIII, the local NBC station would feature the song "Reach the Beach" to begin their sports shows, specifically the segments with the latest Bengal game highlights. The chorus to Reach the Beach was especially used, as the upcoming Super Bowl was to be played in Miami, Florida.

Cincinnati would later lose to San Francisco and Joe Montana. The greatest roller coaster final quarter in Super Bowl history IMO, as the Bengals returned a kickoff for a touchdown, then Joe Montana marched the 49ers down the field for the winning score. The highlight of that drive- Montana threw a bad pass into the end zone, and it went right through a Cincinnati Bengal defender's hands, hit him in the gut and bounced to the ground. This would-be easy interception proved that Joe Montana had apparently been struck with some gift while at Notre Dame...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXIII

BM

rockerchic
07-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Yeah some Fixx songs were and are in commercials. One Things Lead to Another is currently in a loan commercial - I don't know the commercial cause' I have yet to see it. Saved By Zero was used a few years ago about zero financing on new cars (sorry I forgot what car). Someone in my family was just watching a Vacation type movie with Chevy Chase and said there was a Fixx song that was playing in the car scene and Chevy Chase was singing along with it. Hope that helped.

Diamond05
07-10-2007, 07:55 AM
The Chevy Chase flick is probably FLETCH, which featured "A Letter to both Sides" on its soundtrack, and i believe is on 2-3 of the fixx grst hits cds.

rockerchic
07-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Yeah that song is on the Greatest Hits Cd. Now I am going to need to rent Fletcch. Thanks Diamond for filling in my blanks!

rspamola
07-11-2007, 06:32 PM
If you rent the movie to hear "A Letter To Both Sides" then you will be sorely dissappointed. Basically the song is on the radio when Fletch is driving around and he just turns off the radio after about 5-10 seconds of the song. I totally missed it when I saw the movie in the theaters.

On the other hand the movie is funny if you like Chevy Chase.

rockerchic
07-11-2007, 07:14 PM
I like Chevy Chases movies and I like The Fixx so maybe I'll check it out. I have the song so it is not so I can hear it. Is the movie funny enough to waste my time?