PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco Show

Doctor Roger
07-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Last night's sellout in San Francisco was a fantastic, well received show. I was watching from above the stage, looking down from a side view. I couldn't get to my usual spot if I tried! The place was one of the most jammed packed, sold out shows I've ever been at. We were all dripping sweat and I thought for awhile, some were actually digging it!. Not for me, though... I stole a towel. The management and staff were also at full tilt trying to keep up with all the people. It was a great atmosphere, reminding me of certain shows from the 80's.

What I saw of the Alarm was pretty good, and especially the sway that they held over their cluster of die hard fans. I actually knew 3 of their songs. Seemed like a decent selection for the opening band.

The Fixx came out and blew the crowd away, Fixx and non-Fixx aligned alike! I especially enjoyed Rupert's work and his sound came through great, thanks Tour Manager Ira. Jamie was spot on, delivering mind blowing, never the same twice, masterful solos, especially on The Fool. Gary was a little more animated, bopping to the funky beat he was creating. Adam was fantastic as usual, holding down the fort in spite of minor things like a missing drumstick??? !!! Cy was Cy, and made the girls cry...... hehehe... Cy was the master of the crowd and all he surveyed with his LSD like hand motions, creating "trails" (or was that just my imagination?), doing magic things with the egg shaker. What a natural born front man Cy is in all respects. These are just a few reasons why I try to get to as many shows as I can. In summary, a great night for the Fixx.

I did stay for about half of the Furs show. What I heard I liked, especially the chorus: "And LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, " etc., yes, THAT song......
The Furs also have a great following and they deserve it as they sound great and continue to rock out.

Great to see friends I've not seen in awhile. Wish Heimo was there, it a Heimo-type of night. I wish all Fixxtures could have been there. Looking forward big time to Costa Mesa tomorrow......

San Francisco was GREAT !!!

Dr. Roger

Doctor Roger
07-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Another thing....

There was a lady sitting next to me on a stool, watching the Fixx from above the stage. She kept commenting things like they are great, I remember that song, this brings back memories, etc. She turned out to be the wife of "NIGEL" (I think from the Furs?), anyway, it was a fantastic commentary from her.

Dr. Roger

dee
07-17-2007, 03:36 AM
hey doctor roger great review thanks alot dee:wave: :tup:

rockerchic
07-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks Docotor Roger. Loved the reviews. I have to say as a fan of the Alarm, the deck of cards thing is something they do in one of the songs so now the fans think they need to keep it going. I was reading posts on their website and they were not too happy about the encore either but even though I am a fan of theirs as well as The Fixx, I say WHO CARES?? BRING THE FIXX BACK FOR MANY HAPPY RETURNS!!!!!:tup: :cheers:

Wished we were there for all the Cali dates!

Bash
07-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Photos start about halfway down the page:

http://www.bashful7.com/fixxphotos.html

rockerchic
07-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks Bash! I think those photos were very captivating! Where are they using them? Said somthing about promos on your message board. Hope you had a wonderful time!

Bash
07-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi, there -

It was a terrific show, thanks!

The first photos on that page, from 2005, are up as the promo photos. They sometimes get used in promo fliers, ads or newspapers, etc. You can see them here, also:

http://www.thefixx.com/STREET.shtml

My friend Gus took the big shot of Rupert, and some of the little ones on the "hand" photo are by Pippi, Wingo and Musegirl. The other individual shots are mine.

A shout to all the folks (musical and non-musical) that I missed after the show: I've been exhausted from work lately, and bailed on the Furs set. But I didn't feel up for heading straight to the watering hole and being one of the first ones there, so I went home for a bit (it's just a few blocks away). Sat on the sofa, kicked off my shoes and next thing I knew, it was after 3 a.m. I finally got cold enough that it woke me up! Nice to hear from some of you the next day as you journeyed to your next stop. Sorry I missed you.

http://www.bashful7.com/catbag.gif

Carrie
07-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Beautiful pics and stories all! I love the colors of the lights on Adam, and the capture of Cy's emotions! The diagonal shot is an awesome idea! So glad to hear it was a sellout for our guys and their touring partners too! Wow, last show tonight...doesn't seem possible it's drawing to a close already...

dejapete
07-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Roger
Another thing....

There was a lady sitting next to me on a stool, watching the Fixx from above the stage. She kept commenting things like they are great, I remember that song, this brings back memories, etc. She turned out to be the wife of "NIGEL" (I think from the Furs?), anyway, it was a fantastic commentary from her.

Dr. Roger

I'm guessing it's Nigel from the Alarm. The newspaper said it's his birthday today.

Doctor Roger
07-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Dejapete,

She did say it's her husband's birthday, so that's who it is. Thanks for the correction.

More later about the Costa Mesa show, the debate about "Encores and Intro's", and the eye popping events that abounded at Costa Mesa. I hope to awake to your views on that excellent show. Goodnight All,

Dr. Roger

shoeman
07-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Bash
Hi, there -

It was a terrific show, thanks!

The first photos on that page, from 2005, are up as the promo photos. They sometimes get used in promo fliers, ads or newspapers, etc. You can see them here, also:

http://www.thefixx.com/STREET.shtml

My friend Gus took the big shot of Rupert, and some of the little ones on the "hand" photo are by Pippi, Wingo and Musegirl. The other individual shots are mine.

A shout to all the folks (musical and non-musical) that I missed after the show: I've been exhausted from work lately, and bailed on the Furs set. But I didn't feel up for heading straight to the watering hole and being one of the first ones there, so I went home for a bit (it's just a few blocks away). Sat on the sofa, kicked off my shoes and next thing I knew, it was after 3 a.m. I finally got cold enough that it woke me up! Nice to hear from some of you the next day as you journeyed to your next stop. Sorry I missed you.

http://www.bashful7.com/catbag.gif

Bash........

I say, Bash.......

May I ask what shoes you kicked off?
(the brand and also the style name?)

Don't mean to pester ya.
But Curiosity just got a'hold of me....
:rolleyes:

BTW, nice photos from The Mezzanine!
Your work is brilliant as usual......

:)

45 rpm
07-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by rockerchic
I have to say as a fan of the Alarm, the deck of cards thing is something they do in one of the songs so now the fans think they need to keep it going.

Actually there's a bit of history in the playing cards in the Alarm did that on one of their first appearances on Top of The Pops and it has been part of the song for over 24 years of them singing it.
The line is "All cards are marked and all truths will collide" where Mike himself throws out the deck of cards, so it's not just the fans that keep the tradition going but Mike as well.

Thanks to all the cool Fixx fans that some of us Alarm people met on the road. There's definetely been some new converts amongst us and very nice to meet the band at the San Fran. aftershow. It's was a great tour.

45 rpm
07-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by rockerchic
I have to say as a fan of the Alarm, the deck of cards thing is something they do in one of the songs so now the fans think they need to keep it going.

Actually there's a bit of history in the playing cards which originated when the Alarm did that on one of their first appearances on Top of The Pops and it has been part of the song for over 24 years of them singing it.
The lyric line is "All cards are marked and all faiths will collide" where Mike himself first throws out the deck of cards, so it's not just the fans that keep the tradition going but Mike as well.

Thanks to all the cool Fixx fans that some of us Alarm people met on the road. There's definetely been some new converts amongst us and very nice to meet the band at the San Fran. aftershow. It was a great tour.

Bash
07-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by shoeman

May I ask what shoes you kicked off?
(the brand and also the style name?)

Thanks for the compliment, ShoeGuy! Can't remember the style name - they're a few years old - but they are Aerosoles. Comfort despite the 3-inch heel. :)

http://www.bashful7.com/shoes.jpg

rockerchic
07-18-2007, 07:55 PM
That is my style! Okay now if you are my size let's make an auction! Hee hee hee!

Bash
07-18-2007, 08:43 PM
They are a 7...wish I could duplicate them for everyone who likes them. Really comfortable. :)

On a sadder note, just got a little phone call with news that the Las Vegas show won't be happening...it wasn't going to work out for me, but I know other folks here were planning to attend. Sorry 'bout that.

allicat
07-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks Roger and Bash, for sharing those lingering memories and spectaular photos of the show with us (especially the East Coasters who are busy tending precious little ones). Ahh, to have been there...

shoeman
07-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Oh!!.......Oh!!
A post from Allicat!!

Featuring that CUTE avatar of darling Kira holding Froggy Pet!!

Gotta love it......

:D

Doctor Roger
07-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Hi AlliMom !!

Yes, it was surely a night that will be remembered for some time.... but not the same without all the fans there, especially you and Kevcat. I did win two 15 speed bicycles, very fast, and parked them back stage. Ed helped me wheel them through the crowds. The guys took turns riding them, then I finally gave them away, one to Rhonda's son Robby. Although I think they were girls style, and Rhonda just may keep it for herself. If I knew that, I would have asked the band to sign the bike with the silver sharpies! Once again, I couldn't get them into my rent a car.

The parties and comeradie were excellent down there, and in SF and San Diego as well. All great fun. Funny how certain bands are not half as connected and accessable to their fans as the Fixx. Hats off to Ed and Tour Manager Ira for fighting and clawing to get as many fans entry as possible. Lots were turned away simply because there were too many requests. Met new and old fans, renewed past friendships, etc. Totally a wonderful whirlwind of mileage, (San Jose to San Diego, then to S.F., them to Costa Mesa, then back to San Jose) fun, friendship and especially THREE Fixx shows!

Looks like I'll be in your area for my grandfather's unveiling and my cousin's wedding in early October. I'll for sure look you up in advance, perhaps you and Kev (and Kira) can meet me for dinner and you can meet my mom!

I only wish that everyone reading this forum could have been there, especially you guys!

Much Love,

Dr. Roger:drunk:

Fixxation
07-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Hello All,

Does someone have the setlist?

Fixxation

allicat
07-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Hey, Shooie, yes, I get to the board when I can. I knew that there would be some activity given the recent gigs, so had to get some vicarious thrills. And I know I have to update that avatar (tho I still love it). Kira has grown so much since then! She is walking and saying some words, and becoming her own little person. She is a feisty one...wonder where she gets that from (hmmm).

Dear Dr, we would LOOOVE to catch up with you when you are in town. Perhaps the unveiling & wedding will coincide with a show?? NYC in the fall, dude! (Fingers crossed.)

I saw from the photos that you won a couple of bikes. I'm sure Rhonda was most appreciative. Hey Cygie! Miss ya, girl. Perhaps you and Rob can venture east sometime not too far in the future...I know it's not easy pulling that off.

Love to all,