PDA

View Full Version : Costa Mesa July 17 The Best For Last

Fixxation
07-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Hello All,

Just got back from the Costa Mesa, CA show. I know I have said this before but this was truly THE BEST SHOW I HAVE EVER SEEN!

The Fixx were flawless! Their setlist was perfect. The crowd responded wonderfully to them.

Jaime and Rupert really stood out tonight. Jaime's guitar solos were OUTSTANDING. Rupert's keyboarding was brillant. What can I say? The Fixx gave it everything they had and than some. My only minor complaint was that Gary's driving bass line in Fatal Shore was hard to hear because of the outdoor venue.

The Alarm was great:) The Furs I know I am going to get yelled at but I don't get it. Sorry I was a huge fan of there's back in the day. There sound was actually very good. I think Ira probably had something to do with that:)

I will be interested to see the take by other Fixxtures.

Here is the setlist the best that I can remember:

Deeper and Deeper
Life Goes On
Day Off
One Thing Lead to Another
Secret Separation
Stand or Fall
Everyone Believes in Something
The Fool
Fatal Shore
Red Skies
Saved By Zero

I feel like a guy that just made love all night. I am spent and going to bed:)

Fixxation

Xaqtly
07-18-2007, 02:40 AM
My friend and I were there too, we got back an hour or so ago.

BEST

SHOW

EVER.

He couldn't stop yelling about how perfect they sounded and I swear that Everyone Believes In Something nearly brought me to tears. It was THAT GOOD. We're both still in shock at how unbelievably good The Fixx are live.

We're going to the Cannery show in Vegas too.

Fixxation
07-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Hello Xaqtly,

Welcome to the fold many of us had the pleasure of seeing The Fixx live and all it took was just one concert.

I can't amke Lost Wages but I am sure I will catch up with them again. By the way, Ira should have available last night's concert on a FixxStixx.

It was OUTSTANDING

Fixxation:goodie:

pearl
07-18-2007, 09:52 AM
They were fantastic as always!
Great energy! Perfect sound. Outstanding vocals and gutiar.
Love the new songs!!! Rocked the house with the vintage songs.
I wish they would get out of the group tour and play alone/ longer sets!
Hopefully next time around. I left during the Furs. The sound mixing was awful! Ouch! I couldn't take it! Too bad... they did have some cool old songs back in the day...

castaway
07-18-2007, 01:39 PM
This was a great show... awesome weather, a good crowd, and the band was tight!!! Oh, and they did play my favorite Fixx song ever, "Driven Out" as well as what was on the setlist above. I was in disbelief since I believe this song was not part of any of their setlists on this tour. Cy's voice was spot on; I think the vino did him right. The new songs sounded great, too.

The Alarm made sure they were a tough act to follow; that lead singer is a talented and outstanding frontman, and the fact that he's rockin' after battling leukemia for the past year is flat-out amazing. They sounded as good as they ever have as well. Just an awesome amount of energy and positive attitude flowing with nice touches of crowd participation mixed in.

The Furs really struggled. The mic was disconnected on the horn for the first song. Then, when they started "Love My Way" they had to quit the song about 15 seconds in because they were so out of sync. Their lead singer tried his best to save the show, but his supporting sound was distorted and off beat. They did play most of their hits, but only 11 or 12 songs as a front-liner and a subpar performance by them just didn't compare to the previous two bands efforts.

Without a doubt The Fixx collectively sounded the best. Cheers to you guys!

Doctor Roger
07-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Way too tired to elaborate much, but what you see above is true...this show was amazing...

GREAT to see the new and improved Steve P., and Debbie, his new love. Debbie is a very nice compliment to Steve's already stellar personality. Saw and met so many fans, I don't know where to begin. Big Thanks to Thefixx.com (Ed), Tour Manager Ira, the band guys, for putting together such a great show.

Got to bed at 3:30, left at 8:00 and just arrived after a 6.5 hour drive from L.A., BUT, it was worth it!!

More tomorrow, enjoy the bicycles, Cygnet and Barbara! :)

HELLA MISSED YOU PIPPI !!!

Dr. Roger:drunk:

bonzelite
07-19-2007, 01:15 AM
how do i get FixxStixx for July 17 OC Fair show? does it exist?

that show was stunning. the Fixx performed flawlessly and they were very powerful and moving. their live skills are spot-on. some of their songs that i am less familiar with were very art rock/experimental jazz sounding and soaring. a very amazing band they are. way beyond their 1980s roots and hits. they are much deeper than an 80s pop/nostalgia act. i think they are a better band today than they were back in the 80s.

too bad the P Furs suffered some early technical problems. that became very distracting and embarrassing. they did recover however and gave a fun show. their onstage personality is funny.

The Whistler
07-19-2007, 09:31 AM
The Furs are a joke, all attitude, ****ty sound, sloppy playing, no substance...if you're going to act like that you better kick *** and have your **** together...as much as I love their records I WILL NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN!!! Crap shows from '84-'07 is enough.....The Fixx were a class act all the way however.

Fixxation
07-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Hello Bonzelite,

I believe Ira did record the show. The link enclosed takes you to the 2006 tour. The 2007 tour will be available once the tour is over which it is. I highly recommend this show if it is available.

It was truly one of the best Fixx performances I have seen and I have seen them atleast 10 to 15 times.

http://www.thefixx.com/STIXX.shtml

Hopefully we can purchase this FixxStixx soon,

Fixxation

Fixxation
07-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Hello All,

I know they don't like us to bag on other groups on these forums.

Whistler has a point. I have now seen the Furs about 3 or 4 times. I used to love them back in the 80's. There sound is consistently poor. I have to say in their defense, this was the best sound I have heard from them.

I know a lot of the Furs fans have also become Fixx fans too. I really believe with all the crap that is on the radio today, people have forgotten what great sound and music sounds like.

You have to give it to the Furs the audience loved them.

Fixxation.

radioboyeric
07-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Just putting my 2 cents in regarding the poor impression that I got from the furs show in Boston. It was my first FURS show, and will probably be my last unless the FIXX is on tour with them again. I was very excited to see the FURS live (a fan from ago, but not too too into them). I just really like Butler's voice. So, my friend and I were in front of the guitarist and I have to say that as a guitarist myself, he had a horrible sound. His set up was extremely cheap sounding. Not sure if that is his usual sound. But I was actually surprised to hear it...it was bad news. The other thing is that the newer versions of the older tunes were not that great as well.

Again, I'm not the biggest FUR fan, and I'm not trying to come up with an excuse to down them, because I really wanted to like them. But that night wasn't good for them. Again an opinion. I'm hoping for their sake that they are better. Which I'm sure they are...They've been playing for so long, they must be good.

- Eric

Fixxation
07-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Hello Eric,

I agree with you said especially regarding the guitar. I am really not a musician so I cannot add anything regarding equipment. But I noticed at one point that the guitar was turned up so sound it drowned out Butler's voice.

They really need to have Ira do their sound. Or maybe it is planned because maybe his voice really isn't that good.

I have to keep saying this, the fans love them. I am not sure if it is his antics on stage which I don't really care for. Or that they remember the Era it takes them back too.

Anyway, I hope if The Fixx continue to tour with them that they get their act together.

Fixxation

radioboyeric
07-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Nation,

Agreed totally about Butler's antics on stage. Odd, because I thought even though he was sitting on the moniters and shaking alot of hands that night, in between songs he had nothing to say. Cy on the other hand was funny and cordial. Had great things to say about Boston. Didn't talk too much but just enough to say to myself "wow...this guys seems like a guy you'd have a drink with...and he actually would".

Granted, I've never been on tour with any of my bands in the past, so I don't know what it is like to have perfect stage banter every night. It must be extremely tough to put a smile even though the road is wearing you down. So, I really can't say too much about it. I just know what I saw...
And what I saw that night was........

The Fixx rock my face off!!!!

E

bonzelite
07-19-2007, 12:21 PM
the Furs did manage to recover from their early sound problems. it took a while and it took me a while to get back into the whole band/audience connection that i had with the Fixx. but my connection to the Furs was never as solid and amazing and magical as it was with the Fixx.

The Fixx have a powerful, shimmering, soaring, moving presence. whereas even though i ultimately had fun with the Furs, i never had such moments with them as i did with The Fixx. they're 2 different energies and vantage points. the sax player for the Furs is amazing i must add. what also hindered somewhat my reconnection with their onstage presence was some riff-raff a-holes in the front rows. i was 9th row and the security guards intervening between these 2 arguing drunk men --that went on for eternity-- created a very large distraction for me.

honestly i liked Richard Butler as a solo act better than this recent show the Furs. his show at the Key Club last year (Hollywood) was magical. the Furs show at OC Fair was more like a party. i'm glad the high point of the evening wth the Fixx was not tainted or marred by mixing glitches, riff-raff, and other conditions. i got my "Fixx."

Steve Pariseau
07-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Roger
GREAT to see the new and improved Steve P., and Debbie, his new love. Debbie is a very nice compliment to Steve's already stellar personality.

Very flattering of you to say that Roger. I'm blushing and I appreciate your thoughts on my new squeeze. My lovely lady Deborah had a great time and was very impressed how welcoming other Fixxtures were. She felt very much "part of the family" after the warmth from Roger, Rhonda and Rob, and Ed. You can expect to find her by my side for quite some time now :love: :D

As stated here over and over again, the Fixx performance was outstanding. I got to hear Day Off for the first time and I thought it was a good rocker. Rupert's parts in Day Off are particularly attention grabbing.

Loved Jamie's look with his plaid pants. Naturally, he tore it up on his Fatal Shore and Driven Out solos - - just amazing.

Bummed to have missed the San Diego and SF shows but very thrilled at the great performance in Costa Mesa. One of the greatest times I've ever had at a Fixx show.

Norman Umberger
07-19-2007, 07:30 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/furs-one-fixx-1771277-alarm-day

no, that is not me, so don't complain to me...you can email author and pos comments on the site.

is "day off" that bad?

Norman

Fixxation
07-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Hello Norman,

I thought about posting the article and decided not too because the writer was not at the concert. Last year, The Fixx got a similar article written by a different writer.

Honestly, I really don't know what is good anymore. I was there. I really enjoyed The Fixx and The Alarm and hated The Furs. This guy got one thing correct, The Furs were not good. Oh and The Fixx are polished.

Fixxation

Fixxation
07-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Hello Norm,

Wekcome aboard there a lot of great Fixxtures here. So, stick around and post some more.

I liken The Fixx to many great Artist of there time, they may not get their recognition now, but they will someday. I promise you that:)

Fixxation

castaway
07-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Fixxation,

How did you know the writer was not at the concert; did I miss that in the article?

Fixxation
07-20-2007, 12:47 AM
"How did you know the writer was not at the concert; did I miss that in the article?"

Hello Castaway,

I was only joking. I mean the article is a JOKE anyone who was there knows that The Fixx was clearly the best performers that night. Yes, The Alarm were very good but they did not have the songs to be a headliner. And as I have stated, The Furs were simply the 3rd best band that night.

Last year I went on a tiade after one of there other "critics" made fun of the audience and bad mouthed The Fixx. I even wrote the Editor. I thought maybe just maybe this clown would have been a little more objective.

Why am I surprised?

Fixxation

Fixxation
07-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Hello All,

Isn't it all about selling newspapers? The media in this country is not about reporting the truth or the news, but rather spinning a story to make news.

Although, I agree with some of what he said most of the article is lousy. It is in my humble opinion just not good journalism. He is a little too self absorbed if you ask me.

Fixxation

Xaqtly
07-20-2007, 03:44 AM
Yeah my friend and I agreed that the Furs pretty much just sucked. Which was too bad really because both of us are big fans of their hits like Pretty in Pink and Love My Way... but they were really just hard to listen to.

The Fixx, on the other hand, were really, really good. I was hoping they'd play some deep cuts like Facing the Wind (I understand they played that at the SD show? awesome) or Reach the Beach like they did way back at the Coach House show. Woman on a Train would have blown my mind for sure. :goodie: :D But it's not like I have anything to complain about. Hearing Everyone Believes in Something was... it was surreal, it was like I was hearing a finished studio track, but live. The Fixx are just indescribably good live. I've tried to describe it, and I can't!

Even my friend, who's been my best friend for over 10 years, didn't quite get it when I tried to tell him how good the boys are live, after the Coach House show. I tried to convey how tight they were, how polished, how natural it all sounded, but you just can't tell somebody about it. They have to see it for themselves, and he did last year at the Amphitheater show.

It was the same thing this year. Both of us standing there, listening and watching as they played Deeper and Deeper, or Secret Separation or Driven Out, completely immersed with possibly some drool running down our faces. You want to talk about a sublime musical experience, I would go so far as to say that The Fixx provide that.

There was a time when really good music ruled the airwaves, there were some stations that you could listen to all day and not hear a bad song. The times change, but good music will always be good music, and I consider myself lucky to experience it live, 20 years after radio stations stopped playing it.

So here's to The Fixx, for continuing to provide good music and to perform it for us. I'm very grateful to be able to experience shows like this one, because nothing really compares, does it? :cheers:

pippi617
07-20-2007, 08:09 AM
I hella missed you too my friend(s) - believe you me. I will make it up to you - I promise. Myabe if you'd of given me a bike........................

I love you guys!!

check your mail. :)

Pip

Fixxation
07-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Hello All,

I am surprised no one mentioned this. But I noticed a couple of times during The Furs set Richard Butler started to use his hands like Cy.

Also, one side bar, there was a guy that sat beside me that kept commenting on how good The Fixx were. He was definately an 80's Fixx fan that was really enjoying the band.

Poor guy he really wanted to see ABC.

Fixxation

kitttie
07-20-2007, 07:21 PM
I too was at this show. Steve, it was great to see you and meet Deborah too! Fixxation, sorry I missed you, where did you sit? I was in the first row behind the Pit section, Stage Left. Although seeing as there was virtually no space between our seats and the chairs in front of us, just call it the 7th row... I only stayed for a few songs by The Furs (typical for me these days!), then wandered around the Fair for a while before going home. I made it down to San Diego too, we all had a great time there.

DreamsDisOwnMe
07-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Always happy to catch the summer Fixx show each year. The Alarm put on a good, energetic show and got the crowd ready for the night. The sound for The Fixx was exceptional this time around. I was impressed the whole night with all the players, especially some great guitar work. This was the first time I really listened carefully to "Everyone Believes in Something" and was totally blown away. Also loved "Driven Out". I'm looking forward to buying the recording of this show. We left before the Furs. Not interested at all.

P.S. Saved by Zero has been my song for a long time and actually got it tattooed around my ankle a few months ago. The song meant more to me this time around obviously.

Fixxation
07-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Hello Kittie,

Wow it has been some time since I saw you last. I think it was Angel's Roadhouse. My wife and I were in San Diego we were right in front about 3 or 4 rows back. I ran into Rhonda, Rob and Ed on the way out. In Costa Mesa I was to the right of the stage as you are looking at the stage. My neighbor and I were about 7 rows up in the second section.

Anyway, it is always nice to see you. I didn't see anyone in Costa Mesa. Next time I will give you my cell number.

Take care,

Fixxation

wingo395
07-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Herro, everyone,

The Furs' session drummer has a blog (did I see a link here earlier?), and here's what he wrote about what went wrong with the Furs' CM set:

http://www.wasuvi.com/?p=2773

And here's what he wrote about the SF Mezzanine show:

http://www.wasuvi.com/?p=2772

Funny what he says about the spotlights behind him... :)

Wings ("every now and then I know it's kinda hard to tell, but I'm still alive and well")

The Whistler
07-21-2007, 03:57 PM
As a guitar player for 27 years, I was always bothered by The Furs' Jon Ashton's sound. He uses vintage style Vox amps and a PRS guitar. His sound is too distorted and processed; ie) not very sincere sounding tone-wise. This is very suspect w/ musicians: hiding behind a **** sound to cover up his or the bands' sloppy playing. I was embarrassed for the Furs...never again...

The Whistler
posted 2x sorry.

The Whistler
As a guitar player for 27 years, I was always bothered by The Furs' Jon Ashton's sound. He uses vintage style Vox amps and a PRS guitar. His sound is too distorted and processed; ie) not very sincere sounding tone-wise. This is very suspect w/ musicians: hiding behind a **** sound to cover up his or the bands' sloppy playing. I was embarrassed for the Furs...never again...

Fixxation
07-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Hello All,

When I read Wingo's post it made sense why The Furs were so bad. But Whistler makes a good point. I have seen them other times and noticed what Whistler is saying.

Anyway, I don't mean to pile on The Furs. As I have stated several times. The audience liked them despite the poor performance. I don't believe anyone asked for their money back accept for Mr. Wener who probably got in free.

Sorry but one more point on that article in the Orange County Register. Mr. Wener picked the ONE song that lyrically for The Fixx was not very deep. Why didn't he talk about how songs like Red Skies at Night and Driven Out are still politically and environmentally relevant today?

Fixxation