PDA

View Full Version : Old Roadies

Steve_Stafford
07-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi,

It's been a long time but I toured with The Fixx in 1984 on the Phantoms tour. I worked for the lighting company and spent four consecutive months on the road in the USA with them. I was the quiet, less memorable lighting guy since the other guy was nicknamed "FUF"...his name is Fred, you can figure out the other part.

It's great to see them still at! I'm wondering what's become of the other crew I worked with like Ian, Malcomb, John, Alan and (Billy, Lou SHOWCO crew) ...the other names just aren't coming to me :) it's only been 23 years! I'll have to dig out the old tour itineraries to help me remember.

Cheers and keep the music coming!

Bash
07-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Now that's cool... :cool:

Steve, you get any "air time" on the Live in the USA video? They do show some guys setting up the stage and rigging. Would be cool if some of your other road mates showed up here for a reunion. :)

Funny how folks pop up like this. Late 2004 at a show in Fairfax, CA, I spent a good part of an evening chatting with Jamie and his guitar tech from the 80s - guy named Aaron.

Bash

http://www.bashful7.com/catbag.gif

Steve_Stafford
07-19-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't remember being part of a Live in USA video. I was part of the Sunshine in the Shade video shoot in Ventura, CA at least I think it was that song, gosh my memory isn't what I thought it was. I missed the show in Costa Mesa the other night because I'm working in Houston this week. It would have been good to see them again but I'm not sure they'd remember me. Adam might but I never did have any real conversations with the other guys. Except Danny but he's not with them anymore. Our company stressed leaving the "talent" alone :) to do their thing.

We did a big circuit of the US and made stops at nearly all the amusement parks which was great because we got to ride the new rollercoasters before the park opened. Did a show at the World's Fair in New Orleans that year.

Several bands opened for them then, Charlie Peacock, The Comateens, The Swimming Pool Cues, The Producer's, Andy Frazier (bassist for Free), Bourgeois Tagg...all that come to mind...guess I remember more than I thought? I got to do the lighting for most of them and Alan gave me all of 12 fixed lights to use, very generous... The Fixx had the distinction of being about the only other band on the road at the time of having more Vari-lights than other fixtures. The only other band with more was Genesis and they were investors in the company.

Malcomb was the guitar tech for Jamie when I toured with them and Ian was the monitor man. Alan did the lighting and he toured with Duran Duran prior to the Fixx. John was production manager, Billy and Louie did the Vari-light work for ShowCO and I'm just blanking on the rest but my itineraries list all that so when I get home I can refresh my memory a bit.

I remember getting thrown out of my bunk one night when a semi started pulling into our lane and the bus driver (name is a blank, but I can picture his face, um Milton...Myron?) was struggling to just keep it and us on the road. I ran up front to give him a piece of my mind and then realized I'd better just hope we make it. Fortunately we did...

A reunion would be fun but not very likely...at least half the crew was from the U.K....

overanout

Bash
07-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Steve_Stafford
Several bands opened for them then, Charlie Peacock, The Comateens, The Swimming Pool Cues, The Producer's, Andy Frazier (bassist for Free), Bourgeois Tagg...a

Bourgeois Tagg...there's one! I never saw them, but after they broke up, Larry Tagg (bass) and Lyle Workman (guitar) went on to tour with Todd Rundgren, who's an acquaintance of mine. Used to be in regular touch with Larry, but lost track of him a few years back. I think he's in Sacramento.

We did a big circuit of the US and made stops at nearly all the amusement parks which was great because we got to ride the new rollercoasters before the park opened. Did a show at the World's Fair in New Orleans that year.

Whoa, we have some coaster fiends on this board - imagine that, guys. Getting all Fixxed up at amusement parks for a tour!

I'm just blanking on the rest but my itineraries list all that so when I get home I can refresh my memory a bit.

Nice to hear your stories - welcome!

Steve_Stafford
07-19-2007, 11:31 PM
I may be mistaken but I think that Lyle is/was friends with Charlie Peacock too...in fact I seem to recall both bands knew each other. B/T opened for them in Seattle I think. I thought they were the best band I'd seen live in a long time, at the time, next to the headliner, The Fixx...of course. Pretty sure it was Seattle because that's the time that FUF got lazy and shaved off half of his face after letting his beard grow for a few weeks, half beard half clean shaven...very odd, just said he didn't feel like finishing the job.

I'm pretty sure that Rundgren produced their YoYo (B/T's) album, I still have that CD and a Japanese release of their original CD/album which has some really good tunes, a couple of which are real quirky ones at that. Fwiw, Charlie Peacock is a Christian music artist and producer now. I believe Brent Bourgeois is an A/R person for a Christian recording label.

Anyway, The Fixx were quite good then (and apparently are still) and performed very consistently on tour and I enjoyed getting to be a part of it. I got a kick out of seeing the video someone posted a link for in another thread and also saw one from the same tour I was on, recognized the set from the thumbnail. That set was a major pain in the arrse to put up everyday, probably still gives Malcomb nightmares.

dejapete
07-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Interesting stuff.

I talked to a guy at the show in Schaumburg, IL in 2005 who said he used to be a roadie for The Fixx. Gee. I Should have pressed him for some stories...