PDA

View Full Version : cysurprise

dejapete
09-18-2007, 06:20 AM
I hope I'm not stealing your thunder, Cy.

I'm happy to announce new songs that Cy posted on MySpace, "We Might Find It", "Fork in the Road", and "Remember Me When I'm Gone", from his new album, The Returning Sun..

You can also view his new Website in progress. Use the "secret" link on Cy's picture at www.thefixx.com

The Queen
09-18-2007, 07:21 AM
He has new photos on his own myspace page too, and it's great to hear the songs. The man is BUSY! BUSY! BUSY!

BTW, that secret link is very cool.

Carrie
09-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I was having a very trying day that was turning around by the time I left work, but this news definitely made it an awesome one. The new songs sound fantastic...very spacious and airy, to me, like there is so much more room to breathe just hearing them. So, Remember Me When I'm Gone is a solo song! It's amazing Cy was able to keep having a whole solo album in the pipeline a secret! What an awesome Halloween this will be; I don't even need to go knocking on doors to get a treat :)

My friend will be sad that Breathe With Me is gone from Cy's page; he loved going there to listen to it, but I'm sure he'll come to love the new songs as well.

Thanks for the tip on the MySpace pics, Queen...it's nice Cy trusts us with a little glimpse of his home...it's much as I imagined :) He scared me for a second there about the Porsche until the pic loaded. I was like "oh tell me he hasn't gone all ostentatious on us"! Not to worry, hehehe!

heimo
09-19-2007, 01:43 AM
I remember Cy saying something like: "I did not want to waste "Remember me when I am gone" for a solo project. "

But that was back in march 2005 when they started playing the song on stage.

Maybe we will find a second version on the new Fixx CD too...

The Queen
09-19-2007, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Carrie

Thanks for the tip on the MySpace pics, Queen...it's nice Cy trusts us with a little glimpse of his home...it's much as I imagined :) He scared me for a second there about the Porsche until the pic loaded. I was like "oh tell me he hasn't gone all ostentatious on us"! Not to worry, hehehe!

I always found Cy to be well-grounded, and not suffering from the typical rock-star drama syndrome. The tractor is a nice touch, although there wasn't any actual dirt on the tires. ;)

Carrie
09-22-2007, 02:33 PM
There's a great new song playing on cycurnin.com (don't know if it was there before, but I don't think so)! It'll be cool to see the website take shape in the coming months :D

hazelnut
09-23-2007, 12:45 PM
How can you view the pics on his Myspace site? I clicked on pics but couldn't seem to find them.
kay nevermind I think I figured it out. Just created my exciting new myspace page and was able to then view them after registering.

Jeanne Thelen
10-04-2007, 08:44 PM
So when is the official released date???????

Carrie
10-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I think October 31st, though I haven't heard more on pre-ordering...haven't been back to cycurnin.com to check that out in a while, must do that!

thefixxdotcom
10-10-2007, 08:49 PM
We just put up the "rushes" of two podcasts Cy recorded before leaving London with Jamie.

http://www.myspace.com/cycurnin

Carrie
10-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Awesome...I am prouder of Cy every day :) I never knew he has asthma; as a singer and farmer, that has to be a struggle, and yet he not only never gives up, but keeps on taking on bigger challenges like climbing Mt. Everest (and for the benefit of others).

Cy and Jamie, no matter how it goes, I'm proud of you...but I'm sure you'll do awesomely :D

The Queen
10-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Asthma? I thought I was the only one, and used that as my 'why I can't sing' excuse. Now he's gone and made me the fool.

Love his comment about being a DIVA...of all people. Hilarious, gotta love his sense of humor, and sense of self.

Thanks for the bonus Cy, always good to hear from you.

:tup:

The Queen
10-15-2007, 05:55 PM
I typed up his Podcast 1 about his new "The Returning Sun" CD:

Cy Curninís Podcasts

PODCAST ONE: (re:The Returning Sun CD)

"Hi, my name is Cy Curnin, lead singer of The Fixx and this is my first podcast, I thought Iíd like to try communicating to the curious few, and so here goes. I thought todayís subject would be about my upcoming solo effort which is called ďThe Returning SunĒ, I shall be releasing it in a homemade fashion. Iím launching my website cycurnin.com and through a partnership with CDBABY weíll be able to deliver you hardcopies and downloadable music.

These songs are slightly more personal than the songs I write with The Fixx, and they tend to collect up in my cupboard, and I donít know what to do with them, so I thought Iíll put them out because thatís the way the world is these days. As an artist sometimes you can fall between the cracks you are are not signed to a big label and you donít have the big push and everything else, but you know when I wake up every morning, I still feel creative, whether Iíve got a huge label behind me or not, and I guess thatís whatís relevant, what gets you out of bed in the morning. Iím lucky enough to have you hardcore fans, who put up with my, tremblings and warbles.

Iím very proud of these songs because they, thereís not much, theyíre almost in spasms, almost like as if I was speaking in tonguesÖ.to myself. (GIBBERISH) Did you get what I said? No? Well, ďRemember Me When Iím GoneĒ is a Jeanette Obstoj lyrics, and you may remember her from ďSecret SeparationĒ and ďWoman on A TrainĒ, and occasionally I can do her justice with the right chords and lyrics. On this song ďRemember MeĒ it really did work, I was very proud of that song, I was encouraged to keep going, and that was pretty much the first song that I wrote for this album. Everything else fell into place after I teamed up with a guy called Doug Beck, whoís a dear friend and a great producer. He was living in NY at the time that I was living in NY, and we suffered the slings of Y2K and 9/11 together. First thing he said to me when we met, ďI never work with people that are going through divorceĒ and of course I married at the time, and in three months I was getting divorced. Thatís another story, I wonít go into here or anywhere actually, because itís about shedding skin, isnít it?

So, here we are 2007, I finally got it together, with the help of a few close friends, to get it out there to you. Is it relevant to whatís happening today, well I think so, because itís listenable, and a lot of whatís out there isnít listenable, Iím afraid to say. Thereís some great production techniques and thereís not really much emotion, or the subject matter has been going on since man has put his first sorry foot on the planet. You know how it goes, people think theyíre being original by singing a love song, and you know me thatís not really my ticket, no, itís not.

I find it hard to do these podcasts, because I can prattle on for hours when thereís someone in front of me, but Iím just talking to an empty screen on my own, and Iím feeling very lonely, so Iím trying to communicate with you. But I best leave it to the record, actually, because thatís more than enough if you want to know whatís going on in the mind of Cy Curnin, in your day. Then listen to what the songs say, not what I can conjure up here, on this waffly-baffly."

Carrie
10-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Wow, that's so kind of you to do that! I think Jeanette's last name is Obstoj, though that's an understandably hard one to make out! :)

The Queen
10-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks, Carrie, I knew I had that name wrong, just not sure what he had said and thought 'edit later'.

musegirl
10-15-2007, 06:47 PM
I hope that people will continue to go and listen to the podcasts for themselves, despite reading a transcription. I think part of the fun is hearing Cy express himself in his own words, with his own emotion and inflection.

The podcasts are posted on MySpace right now, so that everyone can hear them. They should be available on iTunes later this week and I hope folks who frequent iTunes will visit his podcast page there and rate it so that it will get more attention.

rockerchic
10-15-2007, 09:34 PM
I love you for typing out the podcast since I don't get a podcast and would not have the clue or funding to get one! Keep them coming if it is Fixx related. The only other people of course also would be Mike Peters and my local trekker and acquaintance, George Devanney. If anyone hears a podcast by them please share. Thanks! - Sherri:cheers:

The Queen
10-16-2007, 04:32 AM
I have not had the time to print out his second podcast regarding the trek, and not sure if I will this week, but I am glad some fans were able to see what he wrote, and yes, Musegirl,it is much more interesting to hear him speak and as always, he has a lot to say, and much is communicated in his inflections and tones.

I'd have to work full time to get all the daily podcasts from the LHS crews! those are much more involved and that's a project in itself. Plus they break out the guitars and sing a lot, and show lots of scenery with the locals, who don't speak and that's all challenging to document. I can't think about it this week...way too much going on right now, sorry. You really need to find a way to watch the LSH daily podcasts...they are so worth it, someone is working very very hard to get us these, and I appreciate all their efforts tremendously.