PDA

View Full Version : So, Where's the Phoenix A5E Reviews?

Doctor Roger
11-22-2007, 09:08 AM
So, although it's early, we are all waiting to see the reviews and set list from last night's show in Scottsdale at Anderson's Fifth Estate.

It was bad enough waiting for the "live broadcast" that never came....

So, please post your take on last night's show to appease....

Thanks,

Dr. Roger

wingo395
11-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Hiya Doctor! I was invited for Thanksgiving dinner at my friend's house in Scottsdale, so Mike and I were able to make the show last night, along with tenohtwo and Ed. There was also a crazy drunk woman and a guy who looked like Robert Smith of The Cure and who kept running around asking, "Do I look like Robert Smith?"

The opening band was okay but WAY TOO LOUD. One guy drove to Walgreens and brought back a bunch of earplugs. The singer was a bit mismatched for the band/music, but the music was pretty good.

The Fixx took the stage and rocked the house down, 'natch:
Deeper
Fair
Life
Thing
R.U.Sat.
Secret
Enough
Day Off
Driven
Every1
Stand
Woman
Fatal
Skies
Fool
Zer0

The show was delayed an hour because the Mix96.9 recording was from 6-7 not 5-6. No telling what will happen with that recording.

Maybe see you guys in Henderson for the Saturday show, if I can change my flights and find a seat from PHX to LAS!

Wings

Boggle, boggle!
(oh, sorry, dyslexic morning) Gobble, gobble! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Doctor Roger
11-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Dear WingTip,

Thanks SO much for your review....makes the excitement factor build even more for tomorrow and Sat. nights.

I'm even happier that you got out to that show, and I hope to see your smiling face in Henderson. Have a great Thanksgiving and I'll be looking out for ya tomorrow.

Best,

Dr. Roger

tenohtwo
11-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Classic Fixx show last night. The band was 'on', and the energy was great. I think it was good that they started their set with a known song to draw the crowd in. Every song sounded great, and it's notable that they touched every studio album at least once. They played what I feel was the best live version of Woman On A Train yet. I never heard that song end with so much power before. I was happy to hear Driven Out again, and Fatal Shore never sounded tighter. I think A5E brings out something in that band..maybe it's the intimate setting, I don't know. As much as I had fun at ZooBrew (esp. hearing Facing The Wind), this show blew it out of the water. Just one of those nights where every song was a home run. My one small gripe is the song Taking The Day Off, which makes me think 'b-side' when I hear it. In my opinion, not one of their stronger songs. If there has to be a bathroom break song, that one is mine! ;) I didn't like Everyone Believes at ZooBrew, but it sounded a lot better last night, that one might be growing on me. It's a shame last night wasn't a FixxStixx recording.

The local opener, The Captives, plays a very retro style which sounds like a mish-mash of Kitchens of Distinction, The Smiths, The Ocean Blue, and a little Chameleons. Most of that sound comes from guitarist Eddie Lebario, who has that alternative 80's guitar sound down to a science. I've seen these guys a few times over the years, and I always like everything but the singer. He kinda has a crooning, overly dramatic Gene Loves Jezebel-meets-Morrissey-in-a-rock-band style, and it just seems out-of-place in this band. Anyway, their music was good. and loud. very loud.

It was great meeting up with Wingo, Mike, and Ed. All great, friendly guys, of course. We hung out a bit after the show, and the band came back into the club and met everyone. I got to say hello to Cy, Rupert, and Jamie. Adam whisked by, and I don't know where Gary was. Poor Cy, enduring the wrath of the entity that is Robert Smith Guy. This dude shows up at EVERY concert. No kidding. For years..and he always looks the same - black, frizzy hair, eye makeup, probably some lipstick, and a variety of Robert Smith era-outfits. He usually looks like Disintegration-era Robert, but I think last night he was Boys Don't Cry Robert. I think it's downright hilarious that he thinks he needs to ask Cy, "Don't I look like Robert Smith?" The guy ripped a Heineken banner off a wall for Cy to sign, and was going on and on about who-knows what. Cy looked like he wanted Scotty to beam him out of there. Then a nice female fan came up and attached herself to Cy..not unlike the baby parasites in Alien..and for a moment I was thinking he was stuck with her for good! Anyway, he was really friendly and patient with everyone, and I'm glad I got to stick around this time.

I'm debating a Henderson roadie this weekend. There are factors. If I make it, see you soon. If not, have a great time.

Doctor Roger
11-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your review, Ten !

You mentioned Gene Loves Jezebel.... quite deep! Both Michael and Jay are friends of mine, I talk to Michael once or twice a year. I've always wanted them to open for the Fixx someday. Although they are brothers, they are enemies. They BOTH tour under that name, although I think Jay is a better musician. Jay seems to have fallen away somehow.

I hope to see you at henderson, only one day away, OH BOY !!

Dr. Roger

wingo395
11-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah, Cy is a master at being mellow and humoring the nutballs and then gently extricating himself out of the situation.

If I make Henderson, it will be Saturday, not Friday. Hope some of you will still be around! Any decent hotel rates right there or nearby? I won't have wheels or nuthin'...

WingTip (about to become WingTipsy with a nuclear Bloody Mary headed my way) :)

rockerchic
11-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Sounds like another great Fixx show and with a little side show thing - lol!
Incidentally, Gene Loves Jezebel will be in Reno tonight.
Hope all those attending The Fixx shows enjoy and be sure to get us your reviews! Hopefully Robert Smith does not show up!

Carrie
11-23-2007, 12:29 PM
If Scottsdale is any indication, sounds like tonight's and tomorrow's shows will be fun! Hope they do the meet and greet here too! Dan is getting bummed that he might not be able to get FixxStixx if they don't do them here either, but we'll see!

tenohtwo
11-23-2007, 12:51 PM
I should mention that at the Scottsdale show, the FixxStixx contained both the Phoenix ZooBrew and Boston shows on one stick for $25, so maybe you'll get the same deal in Henderson?