PDA

View Full Version : The meaning of the song Brave

EquestrianGrl78
11-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Hey, does anyone happen to know the meaning of the song Brave? I just purchased the Want That Life album a few days ago and that song has got me hooked! Thanks to whoever answers this!:)

Carrie
11-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Well, sometimes I have a weird outlook on things, so keep that in mind, but I think it's about retaining or rediscovering a childlike fearlessness toward life. I think he's saying that we shouldn't let ourselves become jaded by the things that happen to us in life (the bruises and scars), but rather look at them as signs that we've stuck our necks out and survived, and should again.

It seems so true...kids love to be bruised and scarred and show it off; it's only as adults that we start being vain and looking down on the consequences of living rather than simply being happy about living.

That's me, what do others think?

Octopulse
12-02-2007, 04:54 AM
Im pretty sure that somewhere along the way i read/heard that Cy penned Brave as an inspirational message for his sons

Jeanne Thelen
12-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I had heard that as well.. that it was a tribute to his growing sons...

rick
12-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Could be wrong, but I'm almost sure that "the lyrics"("the meaning") to the song "Brave", pertains to 9/11...Please correct me if I'm wrong...

thefixxdotcom
12-07-2007, 11:51 PM
9/11 changed a lot about this album, and our lives, but I'm pretty sure all the songs were already completed before that day. At the time, the project was tied to a record company called Beyond. It was a great label that was home to Yes, Heart, Sammy Hagar and others. But it was a tough time for independent labels. It took another two years, and on Sept. 23, 2003, Want That Life was released along with reissues of Shuttered Room, Real Time Stood Still, Calm Animals and Happy Landings and Lost Tracks on the Rainman Records label. But if I recall correctly, in that two years, they went into the recording studio in Spain and redid all the tracks. I also know for fact that Brave, along with Prove Yourself, We Don't Own The World, and the title track, were not part of the original album demos. The album was to be titled Hollywood Ending. The other title they nearly chose was Wizards of Wonder. I was so happy when they settled on Want That Life.
As side notes
- I remember asking Cy if we could have an album launch party at one of the exclusive "Hollywood" locations, and he said if anywhere, it should be held at one of the tiny beach pubs, because that's the life.
- Not two weeks after 9/11 they played Vegas. That's where they announced to me they would change the album title since Hollywood Ending was a bit of a downer title.
http://www.thefixx.com/092101g.shtml
I was mad at myself for not writing down the set list, when years later, a fan named James in Las Vegas sent me the photo of him and Cy... unbelievably with set list taped to his chest!
http://www.thefixx.com/092101r.shtml

Steve Pariseau
12-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by thefixxdotcom
...years later, a fan named James in Las Vegas sent me the photo of him and Cy... unbelievably with set list taped to his chest!
http://www.thefixx.com/092101r.shtml

Say, I believe I spoke with that fan in Henderson just weeks ago.
He was having a grand ole time... as was every 1 :D

The Flow
12-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Wow, they did "Treasure It"! I haven't heard that one live since the Walkabout tour with the Moody's. Might be nice to see back in the set list at some point.