PDA

View Full Version : A Fixxmas gift for all fans

Steve Pariseau
12-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Santa is a Fixx fan.

In my snail mail recently was a treasure trove of unbelievably RARE Fixx songs.

I've added some of them to the Fixx Sound File Archive (link below).

I've replaced the old poor quality recordings of Shake And Watch You Fall and Last Night She Cried with these better higher fidelity recordings.

Also, among the treasure was a song I had never heard before. The Fixx never released it for whatever reasons but here it is now for you fans to hear. I don't know what Cy's working title was for the song but I've labeled it When The Time Comes, Will You Believe.

Also loaded to the sight are live versions of Calm Animals tunes nearly two years prior to their release as a studio recording. You'll be able to hear major differences in these early versions compared to the studio songs we know so well and the evolution of the song becomes apparent. You can even hear how uncomfortable they are playing some of them as they are quite new at the time of this live recording.

Subterranean with a piano solo - now that's one of my faves.

9 new tunes available at sightnsound.org. Scroll down to the bottom of the page where live gems are stashed.
Enjoy
Merry Christmas
Happy Hanukkah

The Flow
12-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Wow!

Steve, thnks so much for making that stuff available.

I just got a new pair of headphones, so these tracks were the first
for listening. Sound quality is amazingly good considering it's over 20 years old!

I think Cause to Be Alarmed(I need to add this tune to the list of what
I'd like to hear in 2008) and World Weary sounded as if they had farther to go to get to the finish. It's weird to hear Cause without Jamie's guitar intro!

I can't imagine going to a Fixx show and being treated to so many new and great songs, some of wich never made it to record?

Thanks again, you just made the holiday a little merrier!

SignofFire
12-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Steve, my hat is off to you, sir. Many thanks.

Interesting that these songs were performed in 1987. Did the band go straight from promoting Walkabout to road-testing Calm Animals candidates?

Also, the band seemed to have anticipated the arrival of crunchy guitar-based rock (grunge, anyone?) by about 3 years or so. RCA obviously hadn’t a clue what a good thing they had. They should’ve promoted the crap out of Calm Animals. Damn.

yyzed
12-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Santa delivered a few more goodies here for Christmas, including the previous night from Toad's Place in New Haven, Ct. The setlist is the same as Providence, and there are even some differences in the songs from one night to the next, so many of the songs were clearly evolving at the point of these recordings.

For good measure Santa also threw in a couple shows from 1989, New Haven again, along with a more complete version of the Westwood One Broadcast from the Palladium (New York) than what I had previously.

The Providence '87 show is still my favorite, with great sound for a recording of that era, and a truly rare setlist. The Calm Animals tracks were all played live between the '87 & '89 tours, so those tours were a great representation of the album.

I love Will You Believe...too bad it didn't end up on Calm Animals.

-Chris