PDA

View Full Version : A very insightful new interview

thefixxdotcom
01-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Have a read:

http://www.bullz-eye.com/music/interviews/2008/cy_curnin.htm

STUART
01-04-2008, 02:22 PM
That's a real good interview, nice to see questions that focus on here and now as well as back then. Can't wait for Jamie's album, any working title yet?

Carrie
01-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Very good indeed! I love Cy's comparison of a Fixx show to a Shakespearean play...an interesting insight that I hadn't thought of, but that makes a lot of sense. In light of this, the fact that Saved by Zero usually ends the show means a lot to me, as I've often felt that what this song has to say is the foundation of a lot of what Cy and the guys think and feel.

And a Jamie album in the pipeline too? This IS a Happy New Year :)

The Queen
01-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Great interview, loaded with information from Cy, esp. about Jamie's solo CD! looking forward to that!

Thanks for posting this.

Carrie
01-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Hmmm. Been thinking about this interview since last night, and there IS something that's bothering me - the comment Cy made about how making solo albums while still in the Fixx is like being like a marriage where, after 25 years, you don't care if you screw around. I know that was probably intended as a tongue-in-cheek analogy, but I wonder if that's how Cy views all marriage. If so, I'm concerned about the potential for people to be hurt, including himself. It shocks me, coming from a person who seems to have such concern for the way people treat each other. I know it's getting into a personal area, but he brought it up, and now it's out there.

Then again, who knows, maybe I'm naive in thinking that if someone married me for 25 years, that they wouldn't stray (or I wouldn't). I would never get married PLANNING on it, though, and I'd be sad if it happened. Am I hopelessly old-fashioned in thinking this, though? Did those of you who got married plan on it being exclusive, or did you fully accept that a day would come when it wouldn't be, and you'd have to face the consequences? Just wondering how out of step I am with modern times! I still don't think I'd change my mind, though, even if I am, because I think my morals are more important than going along with society. And who encourages me to think that way? Cy! So you see my quandry.

I well realize Cy could likely see this, and if so, I still think you're one of the wisest people I know, but we'll have our differences, and this may be one of them. But friends are friends - for life :)

F1xx F@n4
01-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Well Cy was right about 1 thing and I give him an Academy award for saying this and that is that the music did really go downhill after the 80's died. He was 100% correct there and he deserves my full acknowledgement on it. I didn't especially like "Want That Life" that much actually. But all the other albums, I had no complaints about. These are my favorites of all:

1. Shuttered Room (1982)
2. Reach The Beach (1983)
3. Phantoms (1984)
4. Walkabout (1986)
5. Calm Animals (1988)
6. Ink (1991)
7. Elemental (1998)

I'm hoping they will bring back some of their groove of the 80's sound on the next album. :rolleyes:

The Queen
01-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Carrie

Then again, who knows, maybe I'm naive in thinking that if someone married me for 25 years, that they wouldn't stray (or I wouldn't). I would never get married PLANNING on it, though, and I'd be sad if it happened. Am I hopelessly old-fashioned in thinking this, though? Did those of you who got married plan on it being exclusive, or did you fully accept that a day would come when it wouldn't be, and you'd have to face the consequences? Just wondering how out of step I am with modern times!

You are not alone, I am just as old-fashioned as you are, and there is nothing wrong with that. Actually, I thought the idea of 'open-marriages' went the way of the mullet, but what do I know?

Steve Pariseau
01-06-2008, 06:26 PM
...the comment Cy made about how making solo albums while still in the Fixx is like being like a marriage where, after 25 years, you don't care if you screw around. . . . I wonder if that's how Cy views all marriage.

That's not what Cy said. Please read it again and try not to take things out of context.

To qoute the article..."I think we've been together for so long…it's like a marriage where you're allowed to sleep around and no one really cares."

There is no implication from Cy that all, most, or even some marriages are to be like that. The message I get is that it is like A (as in one single) marriage where no one really cares.

Far be it for me to speak for Cy, but I believe you have read more than is really there.

bcolish
01-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Well Cy was right about 1 thing and I give him an Academy award for saying this and that is that the music did really go downhill after the 80's died. He was 100% correct there and he deserves my full acknowledgement on it.

Where did you read this? I didn't read anything remotely close to this sentiment in the article.

I'm hoping they will bring back some of their groove of the 80's sound on the next album.

Based on the quote below from Cy, I don't think that is what you'll get.

I don't mind that as long as people accept where they are today and are prepared to take…as you say when we played Elemental, this is where we are now; that's where we were then.

I didn't especially like "Want That Life" that much actually. But all the other albums, I had no complaints about.

Sorry that you did not like "Want That Life." I love where the band is today as much as I did back in the eighties. I feel that their music has matured through the years just as I have.

Carrie
01-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Oops, I meant to say, "like being IN a marriage", but at any rate, I did say, "I wonder if that's how Cy views all marriage". I hope you're right, and it was hypothetical.

Steve Pariseau
01-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by bcolish
Where did you read this? I didn't read anything remotely close to this sentiment in the article.

Cy's answer about the Elemenal album was discussing how music had taken a downturn during the 90s. Here is a quote from the article... "grunge came in, and apart from Pearl Jam and Nirvana, no one else really delivered long enough, so it was just like bad wannabes bouncing around on the radio for awhile, and it just really sucked and it lost its way. And then people were talking about Napster, and that's when the record business really went to sleep…and died in its sleep, I think. But music lovers go on; we carry the torch, you know."

In my opinion, the record business did go to sleep, but it didn't die. You have to know where to look to find the gems in the record business of today. In the old days the gems were played on the radio. Not so today. Music lovers have to dig deep to find the gems, but they are out there and available.

F1xx F@n4
01-06-2008, 10:21 PM
I summarized it basically. I didn't say it exactly but you got the idea though. You have to admit the music did rather suck in the 90's pretty bad. I started losing interest in radio then and hardly bought any albums in that decade due to the fact there was nothing good to spend my money on at that time. :rolleyes: :confused:

Doctor Roger
01-08-2008, 07:58 PM
The way I see it from the article, is that he is addressing and comparing his long relationship with the Fixx to his solo efforts. In other words, the band guys don't get "butthurt" that Cy is putting out his own album, even though they collectively have this 25 + year "marriage" to each other via the Fixx. Even Jamie is doing his own album, so they are both "sleeping around" musically speaking, and the other "spouse" (the other guys) don't mind and actually "allows" it, thus making it an "open marriage". Notice he said it's LIKE an open marriage, he didn't say he HAS an open marriage.

Steve's right.... we shouldn't read things into Cy's creative mind. Just trying to interpret his feelings and lyrics is hard and profound enough (for me anyway).

So, I think the "sleeping around" comment refers to extracurricular activities MUSICALLY speaking via Cy's solo work. I noticed that he said FIRST that the Fixx is also working on a new album, thus giving his "spouse" (the Fixx) proper credit and props.

This is just my take on the parable of marriage and musicians in a sole musical realm, nothing to do with wives, faithfulness, or longivity. Am I making sense here? Probably not.....

Doctor Alli: Your take on this?

Love To All and All To Love,

Dr. Roger

* Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.....
* Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile....
* Be careful with that thing, you'll put an eye out !....

Carrie
01-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah, the more I think about it, I'm sure it was probably all just a joke, but even as an analogy, and probably a hypothetical at that, I just didn't find it funny. I think mine is a minority opinion, and I think I got too comfortable questioning Cy too quickly...I had one of my coolest conversations with him while in Vegas, where he approached me about some issues I was having with a song on the Returning Sun that he'd read about on here. I grew a lot from the exchange, and I guess I figured I could keep questioning him with good results, but I think I crossed a line here, and should have seen that it would sound insensitive to people. Rest assured, that was NOT my intention...I brought it up out of genuine concern. I know, I know, I worry way too much, and when I do, I don't keep my mouth shut. Hope there aren't too many hard feelings.

F1xx F@n4
01-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Well the impression I got was he was saying the music wasn't that hot in the 90's. I think he made himself quite clear on that point, don't you think?

musegirl
01-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by F1xx F@n4
Well the impression I got was he was saying the music wasn't that hot in the 90's. I think he made himself quite clear on that point, don't you think?

To some extent he was suggesting that aspects of popular music and the music business were unfortunate in the 90's, but I don't believe he said that Fixx music was lacking during that period.

The Queen
01-09-2008, 06:08 AM
I dont' think you crossed a line, you just stated your opinion.

Frankly, I was surprised at the use of the analogy too, since it sounded very out-dated. It's hardly worth all the fuss being given it. I too enjoy his views as I do with some other people I know, however there is no one I know that I will ever agree with 100% of the time on everything they say, and it's OK.

Please don't feel you need to keep your mouth shut because you feel you may be in a minority, that is not a democracy. Everyone gets a voice.

....but I think I crossed a line here, and should have seen that it would sound insensitive to people. Rest assured, that was NOT my intention...I brought it up out of genuine concern. I know, I know, I worry way too much, and when I do, I don't keep my mouth shut. Hope there aren't too many hard feelings.

F1xx F@n4
01-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by musegirl
To some extent he was suggesting that aspects of popular music and the music business were unfortunate in the 90's, but I don't believe he said that Fixx music was lacking during that period.

Look Lisa, I didn't even say it was. Please don't put words in my mouth here. I said that I liked Ink and Elemental in the 90's. I was talking about music in general. :rolleyes:

These are the albums I like by The Fixx:

1. Shuttered Room (1982)
2. Reach The Beach (1983)
3. Phantoms (1984)
4. Walkabout (1986)
5. Calm Animals (1988)
6. Ink (1991)
7. Elemental (1998)

allicat
01-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Hmmm, since I was summoned, I will throw in my 2c. Mind you, it is my 2c, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes here in this thread, so I will try to tread carefully.

While one can't necessarily take things that others say literally, what they say may give you insight into them. I say MAY, but also what people say could be misinterpreted. So in short, when one is left guessing and straining to interpret, best to hold off on any premature conclusions and inquire further. One thing that is certainly true is that Cy did not relate the comment to his own marriage or to most marriages.

Then there is also the issue of distinguishing what is relevant and essential from the superfluous. You don't have to like EVERYTHING that comes out of Cy's mouth in order to adore his art. After all, who is perfect in pleasing everyone when expressing oneself? I'm sure Cy didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities. And, I'm sure in France, people wouldn't be so affected (if at all) by that analogy.

Also, one needn't rest one's compass on another's opinion.

Speaking for myself, I find the statement to be acceptable and appropriate enough in the sense it was intended.

Now about the article. I really appreciate Cy's perspective on the various business challenges that he describes. He sure has a lot of experience in that realm. Aside from that, what stood out for me was when he said that "Make No Plans" is a "lulu track, but I love it." I agree! He also said "When we play it live, we turn into this kind of really… it's a real turner." That made me want to hear it live, especially since I have never heard it at a show.

Diamond05
01-17-2008, 10:43 AM
In my best sarcastic tone... :)

way toooooo much free time if you guys have that much time to argue on something so unimportant.

Everything that comes out of someone's mouth doesnt have to be a masterpiece or praised... Cy's just a regular fella like the rest of us- and puts his pants on just like you and me...

I wonder if it is a privilege or a hassle to have people wonder and ponder your every thought.... and what color your snot is when you blow your nose... ya know dumb things that we find so dang interesting- even tho the rest of us are the same as the specimen we observe critically.

I was watching this Dylan special from the 60's, and he was in England doing a press conference and wearing a Triumph motorbike t shirt... and the reporters all were OBSESSED with him wearing the shirt and asking loads of Q's about the deep meaning and special purpose of that shirt, and his reply was "It's just a shirt....- shirts keep you warm" or something....
I dont think he even knew what logo/brand the shirt was.. nor did he really care! :) it was funny-

basically they were getting so wayyyyy deep, that the obvious was not even considered...

Hopefully some new good news will surface from FIXXcentral and relight the candle.....

Don't read into that deep- and don't diss the people with views different than your own personal individual experiences.... were all different for a reason- otherwise we'd all have the same fingerprint!

hugz-

<>DIII

Asuka
01-20-2008, 09:33 AM
so _is_ there a link to "bands who escaped from the 80's?"