PDA

View Full Version : What Live Fixx do you own.........

Jetrell69
01-25-2008, 07:31 AM
I am probably more of a lurker here than anything but I do enjoy reading ALL the posts from the folks here as it really shows the passion they have for the band. As an 80's child myself I've always loved what the Fixx have to say about anything.....just because they say it they way they see it.

To that end, I have never seen them live, although I've always wanted to. I have collected an assortment of Live FIXX recordings that keep me til the day I actually get to see them....that I'd like to share with everyone.

I have:

City University Of London (1982?) (Pre-FM)
The Ritz, 1983(Pre-FM)
KBFH 1982 @ My Father's Place(1995 KBFH CD Release)
Stage One (2002)(Retail)
Edmonds, WA (13 Aug 2005)(DiscLive)
Real Time Stood Still (Retail)

All these shows each have their own flavor and style. All of the unique just like the Fixx. Bands like this are so hard to find even now with the world as it is. I feel lucky to have what I do.

Of course, with no bias, I can truly say the "Kingdom Christsake" is still my favorite unreleased "on a studio album" song.......Tres Bon (I think that's how it's spelt anyways).

Thanks for letting me ramble.......

Cheers!!!!

Shawn

Jetrell69
01-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Is this in the wrong section?

musegirl
01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Hard to say, Shawn. Since this message board began nearly 8 years ago, it hasn't really been what you would call "bootleg friendly." With many folks having had the opportunity to meet the band and seeing first hand how financially challenging it is for them to continue working in an eroding marketplace, discussions of home taping and trading have typically been taken to private messaging.

The Queen
01-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by musegirl
....With many folks having had the opportunity to meet the band and seeing first hand how financially challenging it is for them to continue working in an eroding marketplace....

Enough said right there. This is how they earn their living, give 'em a break.

Jetrell69
01-25-2008, 01:55 PM
This wasn't meant to be a "bootleg" thread. I have purchased the vinyl radio shows.

All the retail Fixx CD's I own I have I bought including the ones coming from Live show purchases which were sent by friends I know were in attendance with money sent by me for a tour souvenir. I support the band.

My apologies that people thought that I meant "what shows have you stolen" from the band...that was neither mentioned, stated, or insinuated by me. I am not that type of person.

I am a bit offended that people thought this.

May I ask that the mods remove the thread out of respect for the band. My sincerest apologies to ALL as well.

:(

I have removed any offending show references out of respect for all as well.

Shawn

Jetrell69
01-25-2008, 02:31 PM
I was quite upset so I apologize that I had to edit my above comment numerous times.......I was so mad I couldn't even type properly.

I am now breathing regularly and calmly but still upset.

tenohtwo
01-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Jet,

I personally don't think this thread is out of line. I've actually tried to stir some interest in the past regarding sharing Fixx live recordings. Now, I would strongly discourage sharing such recordings as King Biscuit, Stage One, and Real Time, because those are commercially available CDs. On the other hand, the WW1, BBC, and audience recordings are promotional/fan-made, so they don't affect the band one way or the other. Though I have managed to build a decent Fixx live collection (thanks Dan) over the years, I have been generally frustrated by how little live Fixx gets around in trade/online.

I think sharing their live recordings is good for the fans, and for the band, as it could get more people interested in paying to see them live. Obviously, we don't want to start swapping Fixx Stixx, or any of the 'official' live recordings, because that does affect the band. When we're talking about 20-year-old vinyl only promotional radio shows, or audio from MTV Spring Break in '89, that's the kind of stuff that makes for positive fan interaction. Look at how much live RUSH and U2 is out there. Those bands' fans understand the sentimental value of bootlegs, and you can pretty much find shows from every single tour. I don't think too many people are sitting at home and not going to the show, just so they can wait for the gig to get recorded so they can hear it for free.

I suggested a live 'song of the week' a while back, but didn't get much feedback. If someone wants to give me a solid reason how sharing those old vinyl radio shows hurts The Fixx, I'll gladly listen. Otherwise, I think it's a good way to bring the Fixx community together even closer. Steve's site is a prime example of making the rare, OOP and live Fixx tracks available to fans, and I know everyone appreciates that.

Jetrell69
01-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks 1002, I appreciate the polite honesty and the logic.

Funny thing is, I never even mentioned trading any of my KBFH, WW1, BBC shows or any of the other ones here. I just mentioned what I had and was asking what live recordings others had....because you are right, there is something very real about a band and it's music that stirs the fans, that is why they come and see them, buy their records, and trade live shows if they have them.

The more the fans are in tune with the band and the music the more they show support by going to shows, buying tour merchandise which might be a bit over-priced depending on the venue, buying retail CD & DVD releases, no matter how many are almost the same but might have different tracks the others don't.

I've been to alot of concerts, bought & lost alot of CD's, DVD's, VHS tapes, but I keep going back for more.....why you ask? Because I love the music and I love to support the bands that make that music.

:)

Octopulse
01-26-2008, 06:08 AM
hey Jetrell69 welcome to the board

I dont see why a simple inquiry would be cause for calling foul on bootlegging. In this situation Jetrell69 you may have been better off not editing your first post in this thread, because now anyone who came in afterwards wont know for sure what was stated in it, but judging from the threads title, and with what seems to me to be a genuine enthuseasism for the band, it all seems pretty innocent.

Ive collected quite a few shows, Im not gonna list them all here because im lazy and havent had my coffee yet, but my personal favorite would be the 1989 Westwood One, now if i could only find a copy of that show without the HUGE SCRATCH straight through Saved By Zero (what a bummer, theee funkiest version of SBZ ive ever heard and i cant stand listening to the track because of THAT DARNED SCRATCH). If anyone has a copy of that show without THAT SCRATCH please PM me and lets make an arrangement for some kinda trade. My wife is an excellent cook, cleans constantly, and loves to do dishes!..;)

Jetrell69, you should def try to get ur hands on "THE FIXX Live MP3's" collection, I believe that was originally Dan Boutins compilation, but Im sure plenty of other board members have it to trade now as well, its got like 18 shows on one disc, nothing commercially available mind you (as 1002 rightfully mentioned trading commercially available recordings would not be cool)

The Queen
01-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Jetrell69,

I think fans will always trade a cd here and there amongst themselves, just to share the joy and make sure that others will know what to look out for. I think that that is one thing entirely different than posting a whole laundry list of shows that are bootlegged, and sold by unknowns, who do this for their own personal profit and not to help endorse or promote the band.

Sorry to offend you, but just wasn't sure where you were coming from, you are obviously a fan just like the rest of us and can't get enough of The Fixx!

Jetrell69
01-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Octopulse,

I just removed references to some of the audience recordings I had through trades and a DVDr Archive of a Florida T.V. Broadcast. I wouldn't even think of trading commercially available stuff...it's the unique and htf (rare) little treats that interest me.

I just had to buy the 7'inch of Red Skies to get the B-Side for my collection, "Is It By Instinct".

I am working on obtaining a few live shows I don't have as well...the WW1 you spoke of is one I'd like to hear as well.

yyzed
01-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by tenohtwo
Jet,

I personally don't think this thread is out of line. I've actually tried to stir some interest in the past regarding sharing Fixx live recordings. Now, I would strongly discourage sharing such recordings as King Biscuit, Stage One, and Real Time, because those are commercially available CDs. On the other hand, the WW1, BBC, and audience recordings are promotional/fan-made, so they don't affect the band one way or the other. Though I have managed to build a decent Fixx live collection (thanks Dan) over the years, I have been generally frustrated by how little live Fixx gets around in trade/online.

I think sharing their live recordings is good for the fans, and for the band, as it could get more people interested in paying to see them live. Obviously, we don't want to start swapping Fixx Stixx, or any of the 'official' live recordings, because that does affect the band. When we're talking about 20-year-old vinyl only promotional radio shows, or audio from MTV Spring Break in '89, that's the kind of stuff that makes for positive fan interaction. Look at how much live RUSH and U2 is out there. Those bands' fans understand the sentimental value of bootlegs, and you can pretty much find shows from every single tour. I don't think too many people are sitting at home and not going to the show, just so they can wait for the gig to get recorded so they can hear it for free.

I suggested a live 'song of the week' a while back, but didn't get much feedback. If someone wants to give me a solid reason how sharing those old vinyl radio shows hurts The Fixx, I'll gladly listen. Otherwise, I think it's a good way to bring the Fixx community together even closer. Steve's site is a prime example of making the rare, OOP and live Fixx tracks available to fans, and I know everyone appreciates that.

I'm agree with you 1002. I have several audience/promotional Fixx shows simply because I love listening to the Fixx. I have no interest in trying to profit from them, I just enjoy them.

With just a quick look through my collection, audience recordings have given me the opportunity to hear many fixx songs live which have not been commercially released, and not played live in years. For example, when's the last time the Fixx played Sign of Fire live? Unless you've got an audience recording or one of the promotional shows from the early 80's, you've probably never gotten to enjoy that treat!!!

In 2007 alone, two previously unknown (at least to me) Fixx songs, (Standing Beside Yourself and Will You Believe) were unearthed via audience recordings, not to mention many great upgrades now on Steve's website.

There is a lot of great live Fixx material out there, it's a shame that more people don't get the opportunity to hear it.

-yyzed

Steve Pariseau
01-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by tenohtwo
Jet,

I agree with everything 1002 says here. Thanks for saving me all that typing Jim.

Skippy
01-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Ever since this controversy started, I realized that sharing music only encourages interest. If its with existing fans, it encourages going to concerts, increasing your collection, etc. Sharing with friends who are not fans creates more fans. Of course I could never condone copyright violations, but it seems like the end result is the band always wins.

Jetrell69
01-26-2008, 09:53 PM
I am glad this turned into a sensible discussion and not something worse. I have been learning to do vinyl transfers for my personal enjoyment but how many people still have a turntable or vinyl......probably not alot...so they rely on Radio Promo CD's like WW1 and KBFH if they exist, to listen to live shows, aside from anything retail a band may put out.

Also, as mentioned above, rarities during live shows can be a great treat for regular fans as well. It just adds to the mystique of the whole fan feeling.

I have never asked or taken money for anything I've traded for. Postage is the only place where a little may come in but that's nominal and normal for the fan who just likes to be able to have something special from a band they truly enjoy.

I just love music, plain and simple....and the Fixx is no exception in that passion.

:) :)

Shawn

The Flow
01-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Jet,

I too have spent the better part of the last 25 years scouring recordshops, flea markets, Goldmine, ebay etc. in search of Fixx "rarities". Basically, I will buy anything with a Fixx label on it. That includes all reissues and Greatest hits packages. If it weren't for having to put kids in college in the coming years, I probably would buy every Fixx Stixx too! Lol

Part of the fun of collecting is the moment of finally coming across one that you've been searching for forever.
Looks like you have the start of a good collection.

Is the City University Of London (1982?) (Pre-FM) the same as the BBC rock hour? If so, I have it. If not, I'd love to find it someday.

It wasn't on your list, but I think "React" is a technically an amazing sounding live album with the 3 great studio songs thrown in.

If you search hard enough you might be able to come across "Live At Elecetric Ladyland" an good Ink era recording.

Also have to agree with Octopulse, the 1989 Westwood One triple disc set is personal favorite.

If you are considering buying a few Fixx Stixx to support the band. May I suggest the Phoenix, AZ • April 27, 2007 • The Phoenix Zoo’s ZooBrew show. Great recording, 3 or 4 brand new songs and a great version
of "I Found You", worth every penny.

The Henderson, NV • November 24, 2007 • Ovation is also good one where they extended the set list last time out. Great version of "facing the Wind".

Good luck with the Search.

tenohtwo
01-27-2008, 07:43 AM
For example, when's the last time the Fixx played Sign of Fire live? Unless you've got an audience recording or one of the promotional shows from the early 80's, you've probably never gotten to enjoy that treat!!!

-yyzed [/B]

I'm tellin ya, that's a home run waiting to happen in 2008. Last time out, many Fixxtures made the push for Facing The Wind, and the band answered the call in '07 (amazing live version, too). The Sign of Fire can't sit on the shelf much longer, can it? Who knows, maybe the band breaks this one out in rehearsal once in a while, but never finds a place for it in the set? The vocals are sung in a high register throughout the whole number..maybe it's too much added strain on Cy's voice during a 90 minute set? I meant to ask him about this one at Anderson's, but didn't want to be the 'why don't you play this one live' guy. Plus, he was being held captive by Robert Smith's Evil Twin.

Any of the band members want to shed some light on this one?

Jetrell69
01-27-2008, 09:21 AM
For the 1986 Ritz show via WW1 I got to hear "Camhpor" live......that would be a great song to hear as well.....any chances on that?

Jetrell69
01-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by The Flow
Jet,

I too have spent the better part of the last 25 years scouring recordshops, flea markets, Goldmine, ebay etc. in search of Fixx "rarities". Basically, I will buy anything with a Fixx label on it. That includes all reissues and Greatest hits packages. If it weren't for having to put kids in college in the coming years, I probably would buy every Fixx Stixx too! Lol

Part of the fun of collecting is the moment of finally coming across one that you've been searching for forever.
Looks like you have the start of a good collection.

Is the City University Of London (1982?) (Pre-FM) the same as the BBC rock hour? If so, I have it. If not, I'd love to find it someday.

It wasn't on your list, but I think "React" is a technically an amazing sounding live album with the 3 great studio songs thrown in.

If you search hard enough you might be able to come across "Live At Elecetric Ladyland" an good Ink era recording.

Also have to agree with Octopulse, the 1989 Westwood One triple disc set is personal favorite.

If you are considering buying a few Fixx Stixx to support the band. May I suggest the Phoenix, AZ • April 27, 2007 • The Phoenix Zoo’s ZooBrew show. Great recording, 3 or 4 brand new songs and a great version
of "I Found You", worth every penny.

The Henderson, NV • November 24, 2007 • Ovation is also good one where they extended the set list last time out. Great version of "facing the Wind".

Good luck with the Search.

Flow,

Thanks for the advise on the Fixx Stixx. They are only in mp3 format though correct? I'm not huge on mp3 unless that is the only way to hear it. You are also right about "React", I did forget to list it. That's a cool album too.

As for your question about the BBC 1982 Radio show, I do not know if what I have is the same as I don't know the tracklisting of the BBC show, only the London 1982 show track listing which I have. It's a good question though.

Does anyone here know if there is a difference between the two?

I recently heard some other "rare" songs like, Big Wall, Never Mind What You Leave Behind, Shake And Watch You Fall, and Last Night She Cried.....all really great sounding tunes live.

Shawn