PDA

View Full Version : For those that have been there.....

Jetrell69
01-28-2008, 02:32 PM
I am just curious about people's experiences with shows they've attended. Anyone interested in sharing some stories about Fixx shows like the road trip, the search for tickets last minute, a surprise gift of tickets, just something that made that evening special aside from the band (who we already know are well worth their weight).

:)

Carrie
01-28-2008, 03:12 PM
My stories are too long to repeat and are mostly about the band, but if you're interested, they're spread through these threads:

http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5010
http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4799

I also have a handwritten "Fixx journal" that goes into even more detail than I have here...it's almost full after only three shows! I look forward to future volumes :D

Jetrell69
01-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks Carrie, it IS appreciated. I figured I'd need to prepare if they decide to come to Wisconsin as I plan on attending if they do.

:) :)

Shawn

tenohtwo
01-29-2008, 08:51 AM
One of my favorite road trips was in 1998. Basically, in a two-week span, I saw The Fixx three times, and Bauhaus once. I don't have my dates in front of me, but I believe it was a Thursday, and a group of us drove down to Tucson (from Phoenix) to see a show that featured the premiere of many Elemental songs (Ocean Blue was the lead-off). 7 days later, the band was in Scottsdale for a gig, which we attended. An hour after that show ended, we were on the road to San Diego in my friend's Dad's Suburban. The truck would break down in Jacumba, CA (just over the hill, middle of nowhere), and we were stranded for 3 hours at a gas station, eating microwave burritos and playing a Paperboy arcade game, while our friends in another car drove into civilization to fetch a rental for us (a small sedan that we had to squeeze 5 people into).

We finally got to San Diego, checked into the Holiday Inn @ Mission Beach, and crashed hard. I woke up an hour later, grabbed a couple of friends and went downstairs to the attached English pub, and started putting away the Guinness. We eventually made our way to The Rock to see The Fixx again. The show got started VERY late (two openers, I believe), and I remember being annoyed by a fan yelling "One Thing!" at the end of every song. Cy finally told him "We're getting there" in a sort-of 'hold your horses' tone! The next day we travelled to L.A., chilled out until nighttime, then went to the Hollywood Palladium to see one of the first Bauhaus 'Resurrection' gigs. I remember standing next to a guy in an original Chameleons' Strange Times shirt - very cool.

The next day, we hit Magic Mountain and hit the coasters. The trip home included the most voracious appetite I ever had in my life. We stopped at In-N-Out Burger in Thousand Palms, CA, where I commenced to eat a 4x4 (four patties, four cheese), and fries. When we were leaving, I ordered a Double-Double and chocolate shake TO GO. My friends watched in disbelief (read: horror) as I finished off my second meal in the car. Uh, I was a bit of an In-N-Out addict back then! Kind of embarrasing in hindsight, but at the time, hell, I was just hungry!

That was a fine two weeks of music, fun, and food. Can't believe that was 10 years ago! Probably still digesting one of those burgers.

rockerchic
01-29-2008, 09:51 AM
I would like to share my story but somehow the posting is not allowing this to happen so I will give you my story when I find out the problem.

rockerchic
01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
It was November 1996, the first time I learned of The Fixx touring was when my mom seen it advertised in a local newspaper. The show was at a place called Club Bene in Sayrville?, New Jersey. This was my 1st live Fixx show. :goodie: I was awestruck that I was able to be right there against the stage. I met a couple from I think the Philly area of Pennsylvania. The husband, a diehard fan. He told me about a website so I can keep up with all Fixx happenings. I was a little sad because I knew I was not on the internet and would not be able to keep tuned in. Then I became green with envy as they had a camera. I was unaware that one can be brought in. They were kind enough to offer to make me a set of photos. A very good performance by the band. I was fortunate to get a set list so at least I had something for my memory and to reciprocate with that couple. THey sent me the photos,a recording, and shared their excitement of meeting the band and Jamie signing their guitar. Now I was more greener because I did not know about Meetn'greets and this was something I always dreamed of. :( In the letter the couple said no need to reimburse with money for the photos but instead "Spread the Faith"! We lost touch and once again I was "UnFixxed"!:(

TEN YEARS LATER! >Starland Ballroom March 2005:
Another ad for The Fixx so I look it up on the internet to see more details of the venue ( now I finally was hooked to the 'net'.) I find the link to this board. Been a message board addict ever since!:laugh:
I see on this board that fans are also welcome to help make "In the Public Eye". I write the question/inquiry if I can too. Not even great at photos or video so not sure why I was driven to ask? To my surprise I think it was Ed that said it is okay if the tour manager approves. At that time it was Mick Wieck. I was apprehensive & intimidated as I never had a enough nerve to approach any of my idols. Plus did I mention I am shy ( believe it or not).
I get to the venue with cameras in hand and the place tells me Mr. Weick is busy and can't be located. Now I feel deflated and put the cameras away. The plus side though was I got to be up near the stage again and glued myself there! I met more incredible and enthusiastic fans. One of which a member on this forum. He told me that I will get my opportunity for the MeetNGreet and the band is very personable. Now I was thrilled!
It turned out I got handshakes from Cy and Jamie at this show! Then a smile and a quick signing by Cy. I was sad though as there was not a meetngreet cause' the band was not feeling well. I had so badly wanted all their autographs on my CD. I did get to see Mr. Weick at the merchandise table and I spoke to him about my intention. He said he would have let me help too! :rolleyes: Now it was a lil' too late for me!
He was pleasant and I had him add his name to my adorable shaker egg.
I decided I would check out if any one was attempting to meet the band at the tour bus. I stood in the pouring rain waiting near the building and watching. No sign of activity. I felt ridiculous and my husband said "I was ridiculous!:mad: " I jump into the car and as we pull away I see the tour bus door open and the manager shouting at someone. I think to myself "See you need to leave them alone!" I vowed I would never attempt to invade their space again.
July 2005 - wow now I am on a roll The fixx are coming around more often and getting closer to home. Morristown, New Jersey at a venue ( :devil: a gentlemen's club/niteclub :o ) called Double D's.
Got my same spot by the stage. Met the message board member from last show. Told him about the tour bus thing but he assured me the band is no way like that. He helps me re-gain my confidence to approach them at this meetngreet. Yes indeed I finally did it but with such nervousness from deep within. Was I making intelligible sentences? ~ and hoping that my school girl -like crushes were not prevalent:o I got small talk, photos, autographs, and a few laughs. From this point on I really wanted to show my gratitude to all. I signed on to be part of the street team to help distribute flyers for NYC/NJ shows.
October 2005 at B.B.Kings, NYC, I got to meet so many wonderful fans and legendery ones at what I dubbed East meets West (Coast). It was a warm and welcoming group. I never wanted to say goodbye and so we never really did!
I also did not get to meetN'greet this show but I had a great time despite that. We all did get to see each other again in New York City at
Nokia Theatre - November 2006. I got to meet another fan too from Germany. I was majorly impressed that Jamie knew him on a first name basis! It was an awesome show and the best MeetNGreet arranged by Tour Manager Ira Seigel.
My list of acquaintances grew and I learned the people here have a heart of gold. This was evident when I was a participant in a cancer fundraiser known as Love,Hope,Strength. Ironically at the summer 2007 "Rockin' the Colonies Tour", CY and Jamie were making plans to be in the event to Everest. They succeeded their trek and broke the record for the highest rock concert!:D Though we were in separate events, the fans sponsored us all with the same sentiments. Through this I have now a bigger list of friends from across the U.S., Germany, and the U.K.! I am grateful to the fan that said "Spread the Faith", and the others for the continued spread of enthusiasm. Thankful to this board for keeping us linked by a special bond and love for the band! With my deepest respect and devotion to you all! - XOXO Sherri Maloney aka rockerchic

Carrie
01-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey Sherri, how did you get the egg shaker? Did Cy toss it into the crowd and you were the lucky catcher?

rockerchic
01-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Cy did toss a few into the crowd that evening but no I was not the lucky recipient. I purchased mine at the merchandise table. Easter was not so far off from that tour date so it looked cute in my basket.:)

Jetrell69
01-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow, these are really great stories to read.....It reminds me of when I met some of my 80's idols.....but they weren't as pleasant as the Fixx.

Thanks for sharing, I really hope to see more....maybe if the band is reading, a trip to Milwaukee is in order....105th Harley Davidson Anniversary this year and Summerfest is always a great place to hold a gig...hint, hint.

;)

Shawn

The Queen
01-30-2008, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Jetrell69

Thanks for sharing, I really hope to see more....maybe if the band is reading, a trip to Milwaukee is in order....105th Harley Davidson Anniversary this year and Summerfest is always a great place to hold a gig...hint, hint.

;)

Shawn

Shawn,

They have been to Summerfest before, were you unable to make it? I missed it too, although I grew up going to Summerfest regularly. Hope you get to go, they put on a great show, and that is a perfect venue for acoustics with the water so close.

Jetrell69
01-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Queen,

I had days like everyone....I probably didn't even know they were coming...as the Fest can be such a drunk-fest at times it gets hard to enjoy shows depending on the day, the weather, the crowd, and whether work was an issue or not.

I did some time in the military and I lived in the Northwoods of Wisconsin so I may not even have been here.

I do remember the "old" Rock Stage that faced the city....saw the likes of Ace Frehley on his first solo tour & Tesla shortly before their "Mechanical Resonance" album was released.....now those were "grand" days at the fest.

I do hope I will get the chance to see the Fixx here....I would make the time to do it.

The Queen
02-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Jetrell69
Queen,

I had days like everyone....I probably didn't even know they were coming...as the Fest can be such a drunk-fest at times it gets hard to enjoy shows depending on the day, the weather, the crowd, and whether work was an issue or not.

I did some time in the military and I lived in the Northwoods of Wisconsin so I may not even have been here.

I do remember the "old" Rock Stage that faced the city....saw the likes of Ace Frehley on his first solo tour & Tesla shortly before their "Mechanical Resonance" album was released.....now those were "grand" days at the fest.

I do hope I will get the chance to see the Fixx here....I would make the time to do it.

I confess I have not been to Sumerfest in over 20 years, but I still hear people enjoy it, yet it has changed much over the years. I lost track of all the bands I had seen there, too much partying prolly too!

A couple summers ago, the forum here was saying how The Fixx had put on one of their absolute best shows at Summerfest, and all I could think was DANG! this was the year I should have gone back 'home'...not that it's even remotely home for me anymore. But The Fixx would be worth the trip. They have yet to put on a bad show anywhere from all I hear! I hope you get to see them too, and esp. get to meet them, they treat their fans royally. :D