PDA

View Full Version : Questions....... :)

Jetrell69
02-09-2008, 05:54 AM
OK,

I am curious to know, aside from the number of tracks & artwork, what makes "Happy Landings" released in the white CD sleeve any different from the "Happy Landings & Lost Tracks" released with the green CD sleeve?

Thanks for helping out.

Shawn

Diamond05
02-09-2008, 06:39 AM
see this thread:

http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?threadid=3847&highlight=happy+lost+tracks

Diamond05
02-09-2008, 06:53 AM
from Steve Pariseau in another oldie thread:

"There are actually three different studio incarnations of Going Without. The version you mention on Happy Landings & Lost tracks is probably the most original version, it was mixed by Martin Rex. There was also a 5 song EP called Songs From The Forthcoming Album Happy Landings which has a slightly different (and better in my opinion) version mixed by Stephen W. Tayler. The third version is the Elemental version.

I also threw a new comment on a page with MArtin Rex talking about some of those recording sessions (to revive it and bring it to the top of the new posts page)...

Jetrell- dont forget there's a search button atop this page and i just threw in "happy lost tracks"

and found lots of info-

hope this helps-

<>D3

Jetrell69
02-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks Diamond,

I guess it didn't occur to me at the time to do a search as I figured there might just be snippets of comments laid out in different threads about this particular EP. It seems I am gonna end up with 2 copies of it once my eBay purchases arrive and I wanted to see if it's a rarity, which it now seems it sort of is.

Thanks for the suggestions and the lead on where to find more info.

MOST appreciated.

:) :)

Shawn

P.S.

Maybe this can be merged with the other thread so it doesn't clutter up the board.

Diamond05
02-09-2008, 02:51 PM
yeah, ya won't be disappointed Jett-

each of those has their own unique flavor-

- its neat to see the same song start out, and "grow up" from an idea/jam into the final studio polished version...

like Steve P- i actually prefer the going w/out version from the lost tracks release. It seems to flow and move forward nicer in my opinion...

side joke...
just like food, it just depends who's preparing da main course.....

thinking of an awesome steak in a popular local steakhouse

and then....... agh! im reminded of....

the granny (in the movie vacation)- who has the jello with cat food in it!!!

tenohtwo
02-13-2008, 12:58 PM
I still say the Happy Landings/Ultimate Collection version of Two Different Views should've been on Elemental. I just think the production sounds more, er, 'finished'.

You Know Me still blows. :P

Steve Pariseau
02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by tenohtwo
...You Know Me still blows. :P

Only becuase it has words.

Listen again and imagine it as an instrumental.
I'd love to have an instrumental mix of You Know Me. It could even be shortened up quite a bit. Oh, and bring Rupert up in volume.

One word...

Jamie

tenohtwo
02-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Just went back and listened to it.

Hmm, I might be able to handle that one as an instrumental. It's not just the lyrics, that little 8th-note climb from the bass during the verse bugs me a bit. I'm usually not finnicky about Fixx songs, either. Jamie does save the song from complete obscurity. Yeah, Rupert is buried in the mix, isn't he? They only have a couple of small missteps in their illustrious catalogue - this is one of 'em for me.

Rodney
02-14-2008, 03:52 AM
The original 'Happy Landings' album, as produced by the late Martin Rex, was to be released late-1996. The tracklisting was:

1. Modern World
2. Two Different Views
3. Going Without
4. Freeman
5. Happy Landings
6. Ocean Blue
7. We Once Held Hands
8. Sweet Pandemonium ('Imposters Remake' ... the Fixx without Cy)
9. Mayfly
10. Elected

These are the tracks that appear on the 'Happy Landings And Lost Tracks' CD, although with a different running order.

However, the band chose to remix/re-record/re-produce a great deal of the material with Sadia and Stephen W. Tayler. The 1997 tracklisting of the 'Happy Landings' album was:

1. Modern World
2. Two Different Views
3. Going Without
4. Happy Landings
5. Freeman
6. We Once Held Hands
7. Lonely As A Lighthouse
8. Ocean Blue
9. Life's What's Killing Me
10. Sweet Pandemonium

Tracks 2-6 were made available on the limited 1,000(?) CD's release (the 'Happy Landings EP') in July 1997. This version of 'Sweet Pandemonium' was/is available as an MP3 download (the more electronic-sounding version featuring a programmed drum track ... by the sound of it).

Third time lucky ... five of the tracks were then remixed/re-recorded for inclusion on the 'Elemental' album in 1998.

'Two Different Views'
'Going Without'
'Happy Landings'
'Ocean Blue' (a remix of the Sadia/Stephen W. Tayler version with a new vocal from Cy)
'We Once Held Hands' (a disappointing edit of the awesome 8':21" Sadia/Stephen W. Tayler version)

Cheers ...

Jetrell69
02-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Tracks 2-6 were made available on the limited 1,000(?) CD's release (the 'Happy Landings EP') in July 1997.

I finally found and purchased an original copy of this....for the longest time I did have the mp3's but had not listened to them due to my switch away from lossy music as a newbie audiophile.

The versions on this are just awesome!!! I really love it. I got it for ...........wait for it............heehee.....................

$0.99USD plus shipping which made it about $6.00USD total!!!!

Truly amazing find....one I am SO happy with.

:) :)

The shame is the first one I won 2 days prior I ended up paying almost $30.00SUD from the U.K. as I didn't think I'd win the $0.99 one....just my luck I ended up with both of them.

cageyJG
06-03-2013, 03:44 PM
This is a thread with great information, so that's reason enough to bump it. My other reason is because I wanted to piggyback my Happy Landings (song) question - does anyone know who did the backing vocals? So far, I can't find a reliable answer.

Here's hoping I can find one of the original 1,000 collectible CDs sometime!

Jetrell69
06-03-2013, 06:44 PM
This is a thread with great information, so that's reason enough to bump it. My other reason is because I wanted to piggyback my Happy Landings (song) question - does anyone know who did the backing vocals? So far, I can't find a reliable answer.

Here's hoping I can find one of the original 1,000 collectible CDs sometime!

eBay is the place to keep an eye out for it, that is how I found mine and you could be lucky enogh to score it at a decent price.

:)

Rodney
06-04-2013, 02:06 AM
... Happy Landings (song) question - does anyone know who did the backing vocals? So far, I can't find a reliable answer.
The only backing vocals credited to the various Happy Landings recordings are by Liz Skillings, but not for the Happy Landings track specifically. I've always assumed that it was Jamie(?).

For anyone interested in more information about the Happy Landings recordings, I rewrote the Wikipedia page for Happy Landings And Lost Tracks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Landings_and_Lost_Tracks
I also drew Cy's attention to the page, in case he could point out any errors or offer further details (which he didn't). I've also asked Cy if there's any possibility that the band would consider releasing the 1997 version of the Happy Landings album (as re-recorded/remixed with/by Stephen W. Tayler and Sadia), which would be a slim chance, understandably, but I really do consider that unreleased album to be the best the band has ever done (as an album), as there isn't a weak track on it (in my most humble opinion, of course ;) ). And, who doesn't want to hear a studio recording of Lonely As A Lighthouse, eh?

Although I'm not that keen on the Elemental album (as, to me, it sort of represents the final *******ization of the Happy Landings album tracks that I love so much), the only track I can't really stand is, Is That It? I actually don't mind You Know Me.

Cheers ...

cageyJG
06-06-2013, 08:50 PM
You guys rock!
I need to find another random questions thread... I really hope we have one of those somewhere. Fortunately I just found this Happy Landings one.