PDA

View Full Version : Thanks To The Incredible Mr. Tibbs

Doctor Roger
03-02-2008, 09:56 PM
I just learned the news about Gary leaving today. I must first say that I think Gary was, is, and will continue to be a great musician. I would like to thank Gary for his years of contributions to The Fixx, and especially for his very special and treasured friendship. Thanks for being so down to earth and your New York Giants FINALLY did it !

My fondest recollections of the many shows I've been to all had Gary on bass. It was also a blast to hang with you and speak our hearts. Although we may disagree politically on some issues, what fun the banter was! I'll treasure the times we had and our friendship.

As a famous TV character once said :

" You Are, And Always Will Be..... My Friend."

I know I speak for the lot of us when I say Godspeed, best of luck in the future, and please don't be a stranger. You are always welcome where I am.

Much Love To You And Yours,

Dr. Roger

rockerchic
03-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Is this true Doctor? Oh my God I can't believe this! Gary , we will miss you! Best wishes whatever you and wherever you will be but we will miss you here in Fixxy Land!

The Queen
03-03-2008, 06:34 AM
Hear Hear!

It was great to meet Gary at the last concert of theirs that I went to. He is really nice, a down to earth kind of guy, and very proud of his daughter. I was impressed at how his whole demeanor softened at the mention of her name. Now that's a nice guy! I hope he's happy and successful in his new pursuits.

Although Dan K. Brown will be a wonderful re-addition to the band, for me it it take a bit of getting used to, and I know I just need to meet the guy. I'm so accustomed to Gary's smiling face and I have never seen The Fixx play live with Brown....so it's me needing to adjust.

I guess with Gary living in LA and the rest of the band living in Europe I can see how the logistics could become difficult for rehearsing and getting together often, which is essential for a group. Just trying to find a practical reason for his departure, and this is one that I can understand.

We'll miss you, Gary!

shoeman
03-03-2008, 07:37 AM
I concur with what all of you have said.

You are all so eloquent, and Dr. Roger, thank you for starting this thread. I'm reflecting on Gary and his excellent work. What a great musical career he has had, and it's so good he could be a part of the legacy that is The Fixx.

Miss you, Gary....

bradluke0
03-03-2008, 09:28 AM
hi all ! yup, it sure is hard to mourn and rejoice at the same time....I was really getting used to Gary, he really seemed to enjoy himself on stage and was a great guy to talk to.However, Dan was the bass player at the vast majority of the shows I have seen and am excited to have the classic lineup back. Sooooo, I have two things to say; Gary, I really enjoyed your time with the band and wish you the best of luck..DON'T BE A STRANGER !Dan, welcome back sir ,you are the only band member I have not had the pleasure to meet, can't wait ! hope everyone has a great week...brad

Carrie
03-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Roger, you know you're gonna make me cry? :( After hearing everyone's experiences, I wish I'd made more of an effort to get to know Gary, but I'm so glad we got to meet him in Vegas. I hope he's remembering the good times as much as we are.

Can't wait to see what the future holds for Gary...will have to keep up!:wave:

miked26
03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by bradluke0
hi all ! yup, it sure is hard to mourn and rejoice at the same time....I was really getting used to Gary, he really seemed to enjoy himself on stage and was a great guy to talk to.However, Dan was the bass player at the vast majority of the shows I have seen and am excited to have the classic lineup back. Sooooo, I have two things to say; Gary, I really enjoyed your time with the band and wish you the best of luck..DON'T BE A STRANGER !Dan, welcome back sir ,you are the only band member I have not had the pleasure to meet, can't wait ! hope everyone has a great week...brad

This is pretty much how I feel about all this. Gary was a great addition and you simply could not miss his smiling face on stage to go along with his strong bass playing skills. He was also a cool guy to meet and chat with. On the flip side though, to be able to see the "almost-original" Fixx 5 back together again is a huge plus for us fans. And if you told me that Gary was leaving or even being replaced, then Dan K. Brown is the only name I would accept. Well, I except! This also gives me a chance (as for some other Fixxtures as well) to not only meet Mr. Brown, but to get his autograph. :D :goodie:

EquestrianGrl78
03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh no! Although I didn't get to meet Gary, I've heard that he is a great and down to earth guy to converse with. I wish the best of luck to him and whatever he does next!I'm proud of his work with The Fixx and I'm sure going to miss seeing him on stage with the guys. We''ll miss ya Gary!

shoeman
03-03-2008, 05:32 PM
P.S. Let me also add a salute to Jordan(a.k.a. Tibbsy II), Gary's adorable daughter. And my heart's desire is that she will choose to continue her membership here, and to chat with us now and then.

We luv ya, Jordan!!

:love:

little-bird
03-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Gary was a great bassist, and now, we'll miss him so.

Cygnet
03-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I'll miss you, Gary, and hope you'll always be my friend. Rob last month was saying that he wanted to find Adam Ant and put a new Adam and the Ants together...now this has happened...maybe it's in the stars....

Jordan, your dad loves you so much you have no idea. I hope the two of you get to spend more time together now. He really missed you when he was out on the road.

Please don't be strangers. We love you both!
Cygnet
(Rhonda Leon)

Jeanne Thelen
03-08-2008, 05:47 PM
WOW... I am shocked beyond belief...

I first met Gary briefly in 2004 in Las Vegas, then again in 2005 in San Fransisco, but really did not discover how charming, fun and his great personality until I met him again in 2006 in Bowling Greens, Ohio.

I am saddened that I did not make the discovery earlier.... It is always amazing how much you always take time for granted in this life and you always think " there is always tomorrow" on
another tour....

I wish Gary the best of luck and all the happiness in the world in his next adventure....

And...

I extend a heartfelt welcome to Dan K. Brown... Welcome back... :) :) :) looking forward to some new Fixx music, a new tour ,and hopefully I will see you all again... any plans for Australia???? :) ;)

Beached Male
03-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Here-here, a tip of the hat and toast to Gary Tibbs, may your travels be safe and merry. Your music is permanently on record etched on CD so you aren't "that far away"....

"The boys" have a welcoming spirit so all is well, and I'm sure Gary will remain a permanent friend to the Fixx community.

BM

msmith1
03-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Hello, Ira here.

Just jumping in to say that I, too, will miss Gary a lot. A true gentleman and scholar, and we've had some very good times on the road together. Especially the sushi bars and pubs.

And I am also very much looking forward to seeing Danny again. It's been since the "Ink" tour that I worked with Danny, and I hope he decides to come out with the guys this summer.

Regards,
Ira Seigel

pippi617
03-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Some good times on the road, indeed.

*sigh*

otowneddie
03-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Mr. Tibbs will always be one of the fellas, and forever be a part of The Fixx family. Thanks for all the years of great music and wonderful memories of shows on the road. You shall be missed.

Good luck in the future, and I'm sure we'll be hearing from you once again.

otowneddie

bradluke0
03-18-2008, 09:58 AM
hi all ! Just a couple of quick thoughts.......I think we all are assuming Dan will be touring,don't really think that is concrete yet , or is it ? Also, at the St Pete show Cy made reference to checking your "carlton credits" and that they we backed up or stacked up.....anyone know what they are ?(almost afraid to ask this question..lol ).........I heard Adam is involved with custom made bikes , does anyone know if this is true ? If it is is there a website ?? Thanks again everyone, have a great week......Brad

Carrie
03-20-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm thinking he may have said "carbon credits"...in other words, trying to be environmentally conscious. At last year's 7-7-07 show (which fell on the day Live Earth was going on), he said, "Ah, 7-7-7...I hope you walked here! It's all about those carbon credits, really...multitasking". I was worried that he was bummed about the Fixx being turned down for Live Earth, but he makes those type of comments a lot, so I don't think he was taking it too hard.

Can't help with a website for Adam's bikes, unfortunately...I'm assuming it's motorcycles, or is it bicycles? I'm curious too!

msmith1
03-21-2008, 08:37 AM
This is the link to the company:

http://www.luna-cycles.com/beta/

Kim:)

Crucified
03-21-2008, 11:20 AM
I did grow to accept Gary as a member of the band. With most bands a new member is added and I don't bother with them, but with Gary he was a member of the Fixx. I wish Gary luck.

I am glad that ratehr than the Fixx add some unknown bass player they are bringing back Dan. Dan is the bass player I most associate with the Fixx. And if it were some new guy, it would turn into some kind of joke about the Fixx and bass players. So welcome back Dan, I look forward to seeing you.

bradluke0
03-21-2008, 01:46 PM
hi all! Carrie , I am almost certain Cy said "carlton credits" .... maybe I will record that part between songs and post it , my ears aren't as young as they used to be ! Your answer does make a ton of sense , thanks !
Kim , thanks for the link , however , I can not get it to work. Is it motorcycles or bicycles ?
Anyone , do we know yet if Dan can be persuaded to get on an airplane and come see us ???

thanks to all of you , have a great weekend......brad

msmith1
03-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey bradlukeO & Carrie & all,
Yeah, I'm not the most tech-sav vie...you may need to look up the bicycles under luna-cycles on the Web.
Ira was seriously looking at them, as he bicycle commutes when at home.
Kim:)

bradluke0
03-22-2008, 02:16 PM
hi all ! ok, I think I have the right addy- www.lunacycles.com......custom bicycles made just for women. Is this the right place ?? If so , I am disappointed as I don't look very good in pink or spandex........talk to you all soon.........brad