PDA

View Full Version : MCA demo

tenohtwo
03-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Question: Did The Fixx get their MCA deal on the strength of the Lost Planes single, or did they record a short demo (presumably early Shuttered Room tracks) to convince the label? Just got to wondering if there's a Fixx 'record company demo' in existence (much like U2's '3').

Diamond05
03-09-2008, 09:12 AM
i dont think so - If there was we woulda probably seen it somewhere in the discography, or heard from some member on the board claiming they had it- i know none of the fanatic fixx collectors have ever spoke of such a thing-

I think it went from the lost planes single. or you could call that their audition that landed them the deal to make shuttered room-

All i remember is hearing how Jeanette Obstoj heard the lost planes single right after losing a friend in car accident i believe, and it made a huge (perfect timing) impact on her and the rest is well, ancient history! LOL!

STUART
03-20-2008, 04:29 PM
If I remember correctly, they landed a publishing deal with MCA before the recording contract. Have copies of all formats of the early releases such a 7", 12", 7" pic disc, 7" promo, 12" demo etc but nothing in existence that I know of that was used to convince MCA to sign the band.
I believe it was Rupert who gave me the info regards the publishing before recording deals and I'm sure that someone will come along soon with a definitive answer.

This link may be of help, it mentions a tape sent by the band to Rupert Hine, who's girlfriend liked it and on her advice, agreed to work with the band, who shortly after signed to MCA.

Personally, would love a copy of that tape!!

http://www.musicianguide.com/biographies/1608002956/The-Fixx.html

tenohtwo
03-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm thinking that tape includes Lost Planes, I've Been Here Before, and maybe an early version of a Shuttered Room track..just a guess. Rupert? Adam? Anyone from the band want to chime in?