PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Tour

Rick_Williams
03-24-2008, 02:14 AM
Hi Folks, I've been in bed for the last 4 months with a broken leg. I've had WAY too much time on my hands, and read just about every post on this website. Nice to see so many fans.

I was the sound engineer/roadcrew for the first FIXX North American Tour in 1982.

I noticed lots of questions in here about the early days of the band. I could answer alot of them. I'm curious if there is anyone here that saw the band live in 1982????

Last week I was doing some spring cleaning and to my surprise, I found my old Tour Book from FIXX 1982 (with notes) What a pleasant surprise. As I read it, it brought back lots of memories, seems like just the other day.

How quickly the days go by.......

Anyone have questions ? I would be happy to share old memories :)

Cheers Rick :cheers:

Diamond05
03-24-2008, 07:23 AM
that's great!

I love to see your list of tour dates for starters- (please!)

and maybe some exciting/unique stories- I remember Rupe telling of the flying paper plates in CA just as they played redskies right at sunset (Police tour im guessing) in front of 80K fans!

that was before Jamie had woody - Ibanez Roadstars i think ???? (Jamie's gear?)

Was that Bob Ward as the manager back then too ?

hows that for getting the ball rollin ?

shoeman
03-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi Rick!! Two questions:

1. Your memories of Charlie Barrett?

2. More detail about your responsibilities as a member of the crew?

My thanks in advance......

John

:cool:

thebunbun
03-25-2008, 04:40 PM
I remember seeing the Fixx on Ft. Lauderdale Beach with Modern English, if you happen to know when that was could you please tell me? I don't have any ticket stubs for it and they may have been free concerts, they were on a Saturday and Sunday by the Yankee Clipper Hotel across from the Bahia Mar Yacht Club. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Bunny :wave:

Jetrell69
03-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Would you post some scans of pictures in the tour book you came across? It's always great to see those little pieces of history.

Thanks

Shawn

Rick_Williams
03-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Diamond05
that's great!

I love to see your list of tour dates for starters- (please!)

and maybe some exciting/unique stories- I remember Rupe telling of the flying paper plates in CA just as they played redskies right at sunset (Police tour im guessing) in front of 80K fans!

that was before Jamie had woody - Ibanez Roadstars i think ???? (Jamie's gear?)

Was that Bob Ward as the manager back then too ?

hows that for getting the ball rollin ?

Hi. Flying plates was a later tour probably 83.
Bob Ward was the Road Manager but was only in the US for a short time getting things organized. He had prior commitments and went back to England.
Jamie had "Woodie" for this trip.

As far as tour dates, I'm sorry to say that my son must have thrown my book back in a box. It's now back up in the rafters in my garage. I'm on crutches and cant get at it. I'll get it in the next few weeks and post all the dates and tid-bits about the gigs. Off the top of my head, it was 3weeks and went. Philly, NYC, New Haven, CT, Boston, Providence, Montreal, Ottawa. Youngstown, Cleveland, Detroit, Washington DC, NYC, and 2 in Long Island.

Rick_Williams
03-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by shoeman
Hi Rick!! Two questions:

1. Your memories of Charlie Barrett?

2. More detail about your responsibilities as a member of the crew?

My thanks in advance......

John

:cool:

Charlie was not on the tour. I think I met him once in London. Alfie Agius played bass.

As far as my responsibilities. I drove my truck with the equipment, loaded in and set the stage. Wired the stage and did a rough monitor mix. Did the soundcheck and mixed the FOH, broke it down, packed it up, loaded the truck and moved on to the next gig. Lots of work, needless to say, I didn't have any problems getting to sleep :) I also did the 24 Track re-mix of the tape from My Fathers Place for the King Biscuit Flour Hour.

Rick_Williams
03-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by thebunbun
I remember seeing the Fixx on Ft. Lauderdale Beach with Modern English, if you happen to know when that was could you please tell me? I don't have any ticket stubs for it and they may have been free concerts, they were on a Saturday and Sunday by the Yankee Clipper Hotel across from the Bahia Mar Yacht Club. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Bunny :wave: Don't know sorry. I think Modern English was out touring late 84 early 85

Rick_Williams
03-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Jetrell69
Would you post some scans of pictures in the tour book you came across? It's always great to see those little pieces of history.

Thanks

Shawn This was the early days, no pix inside, just Gig address's promoter contacts and hotel stuff.

thebunbun
03-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Rick_Williams
Don't know sorry. I think Modern English was out touring late 84 early 85

Thanks for replying to my post. Much appreciated. :wave:

Bunny

Jetrell69
04-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks Rick, for responding to my post as well. It's always nice to get a little inside view from multiple perspectives....gives you a better idea about the people around you....OR an awesome band that STILL gives 100% to what they believe in.

:)

Shawn