PDA

View Full Version : The Fixx Available on eMusic!

dejapete
05-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Good news!

eMusic now offers downloads from The Fixx and other Rainman Records artists.

This is good news if you don't have all their albums yet. As a trial member, you can download Calm Animals and Shuttered Room for free, and they are yours to keep.

edited for oops!

dejapete
06-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Also available:

Real Time Stood Still

Just so you know, eMusic is a trusted source for high quality DRM free music from independent artists.

dejapete
07-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I wrote this short review for Calm Animals on eMusic. I hope it does it justice:

This album will undermine your assumption that The Fixx is just another 80s synth pop band. Initially released in 1988, the music on this collection is more guitar driven and harder edged than the band's previous offerings. Cy Curnin's vocals are stronger and more expressive than ever before.

dejapete
07-27-2008, 01:51 PM
I just can't help myself. I submitted this even though I didn't download the album:

a fine first offering
Part of the inconsistency of Shuttered Room lies in the fact that it was a mix of older and newer material. After the addition of gifted guitarist Jamie West-Oram, the Fixx became more guitar orientated than your run-of-the-mill pop-synth band. True, its songs are lacking melodically. But that is so true of rock music in general. It's a fine first offering from a new band with a sufficient variety to please. Stand or Fall is now a classic hit. Lost Planes is a humorous little song with its lyrics and gas bottle percussion. Red Skies is as much a rock anthem now as it ever was.

msmith1
07-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by dejapete
Good news!

eMusic now offers downloads from The Fixx and other Rainman Records artists.

This is good news if you don't have all their albums yet. As a trial member, you can download Calm Animals and Shuttered Room for free, and they are yours to keep.

edited for oops!

Oh yes, much better to download it for free, rather than to respect and support the artist by buying their music.

Just my .02.

musegirl
07-27-2008, 06:10 PM
I wanted to jump in here. The Returning Sun is available on EMusic as well and I have some first hand knowledge now of the way the digital music services work. The record is also up on Amazon now for digital download.

As for the "free download" situation, keep in mind that the Artist still gets paid the same amount for the download, whether it's purchased during a promotional offer or full price. That being said, eMusic pays the artist a comparitively low rate for a download, about 35 cents a piece.

As much as people want to demonize iTunes and choose other services possibly with the intention of being anti-establishment or contrarian, iTunes actually pays a whopping 70 cents a download. iTunes in countries outside the U.S. pay even more.

Just my take on things, but I think if you are looking to support an artists buy their stuff directly first, if not there, then from CDBaby if possible, then iTunes after (if you are okay with digital), as the Artist will benefit the most financially from those entities.

msmith1
07-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by musegirl
I wanted to jump in here. The Returning Sun is available on EMusic as well and I have some first hand knowledge now of the way the digital music services work. The record is also up on Amazon now for digital download.

As for the "free download" situation, keep in mind that the Artist still gets paid the same amount for the download, whether it's purchased during a promotional offer or full price. That being said, eMusic pays the artist a comparitively low rate for a download, about 35 cents a piece.

As much as people want to demonize iTunes and choose other services possibly with the intention of being anti-establishment or contrarian, iTunes actually pays a whopping 70 cents a download. iTunes in countries outside the U.S. pay even more.

Just my take on things, but I think if you are looking to support an artists buy their stuff directly first, if not there, then from CDBaby if possible, then iTunes after (if you are okay with digital), as the Artist will benefit the most financially from those entities.

Thanks for this info, Lisa. Good to know that the artist is getting something, even from a promotional download. Sorry to jump on Dejapete...

dejapete
07-27-2008, 09:03 PM
My original intention for this thread was to show those curious about The Fixx a way they can easily obtain some samples of their work at no cost. It was hoped that would lead to future purchases of more of their albums. Granted, I use music services, namely eMusic and Amie Street to obtain cheap, even free downloads. But these are legal and sold under terms in agreement with the artist themselves. I believe independent musicians are glad to make any extra money over and above the cost of making their music. I hope I'm not doing wrong or a disservice to them, though I must say eMusic's 35 cents is not very good. Amie Street pays 70 cents on the dollar, but the tracks they sell are dirt cheap...seventy percent of that doesn't amount to much. So one thing I try to do is to support musicians by spreading the word...for example, writing reviews. Music services like eMusic and Amie Street are great places to discover lots of new artists without forking over lots of money. But I must agree with Musegirl, If you really want to support an artist you love, buy the music where he will profit the most.