PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Sessions Question!

thebunbun
06-13-2008, 12:16 AM
I checked the website, where do I go to buy tickets? They list the Fixx appearing now but all I am able to do it sign up for an email invitation. Please help!

musegirl
06-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Don't worry. That's the way it works. You'll get an "invite" via email with the details of the show. There's a phone number at the bottom you'll call to get on the list. I went to the last show -- it's a pretty wild affair. You get there and check in with your name. As a Fixxture, you can claim a bit of territory in front of the stage. Behind you, hundreds of people will convene to take advantage of the food and drinks (lots of liquor companies seem to show up to mix signature drinks). It's quite exciting to be the midst of all that energy.

thebunbun
06-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the info Lisa, I called the hotel after I posted on here and was transfered to the Velvet Lounge and spoke with a guy there, he said the tickets don't go on sale till a few days before the show, I can't call and reserve my seats. He did say there was mandatory valet parking $21 plus tax but the website said free parking so we'll see.

I'm going to call today and get more details. That's good that they recognize Fixxtures, that would be so great if we can get up front. I have to drive down there and buy my tickets, I'll see what's what with everything.

I got my time off from work for the shows. I have to work the Saturday before and a few hours overtime Mon to Wed but it will be worth it. It's getting closer.... :goodie:

musegirl
06-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Universal City Walk is open from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. You can park there for something like $12.00 for the day. If you are capable of a bit of walking, I recommend parking there and simply hoofing it through City Walk, up to the hotel. This is what we did last time (so I'm unaware if the Hard Rock parking is gratis). The meet & greet at this venue was a little wacky last time. Bit of a wait to get going. Keep in mind that many of the folks who show up for this one are venue regulars who come for the conviviality and end up discovering how awesome the band is. That's a great thing for the boys, since new fans are most welcome. At the same time, they do make the line a bit longer. Attire at the venue was kind of upscale clubby, you know, gals in cocktail dresses and guys fairly dressed up, if you are looking to fit in. Of course, a Cy Curnin t-shirt would be quite faboo (but I'm biased).

thebunbun
06-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Lisa, I noticed that about the venue, the drinks and the attire. I'm off to the mall. :) Do they allow cameras at VS? I, read that Jannus Landing doesn't. I'm bring mine for the meet and greet anyway.

klabernz
06-15-2008, 10:40 AM
When we were vacationing, my sisters and I went to an Eddie Money Velvet Session. It was definitely a "see and be seen" event. Living then on casual Cape Cod, I wasn't used to the chic attire but, if you're not dressing to impress, I think you can probably wear anything that is fairly decent. Most of the people seemed to be into the drinking and socializing more than the music. We were more towards the back and it was really distracting to have people all around you trying to talk above the music. This time we will certainly try to get a good spot up front. There are no seats where the band plays. It's essentially part of the hotel lobby.

As I recall from the last time, we did respond to the invitation but when we got there they never even checked any list, just took the money. Be prepared for it to be packed and for long lines for the "free" drinks and food.

We did do the valet parking last time although I don't remember it being that expensive. The hotel website says $20 plus tax for self-parking (I don't remember seeing any) and $25 plus tax for valet. The Universal parking garage is $12 for the day and the website says it is free after 6:00. Although Velvet Sessions start at 6:00 or 6:30, looks like the band isn't till around 8:30 (when cash bars start) so there should be plenty of time to walk from the free parking, enjoying the Universal sights. That's probably what we'll do.

Kathleen

musegirl
06-15-2008, 01:45 PM
I took photos last time. The lighting wasn't that robust and my pictures came out dark and grainy. You could use a flash, but if you are standing right up front (and you will be), you'll be blinding the band with flashes during the show. Personally, I don't recommend it.

thebunbun
06-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks Kathleen and Lisa, I appreciate all the info. No, I wouldn't take pics like that, I would take them without a flash but hopefully the lighting will be good this time, if not then I would just wait to get my pic with them afterwards.

I might end up going myself because my Tom can't stand that long. I'm not crazy about it but I'll do it. Yeah, I don't like having to strain to hear the band over talking. :shh: Hopefully we'll all get up front and we won't have to worry about it. :D

I'm glad not to have to deal with the email, I think it's just a ploy to get our email addresses for advertising anyway. If I can't find the free parking, I'll park in the $12 parking and walk.

Anyone counting the minutes? :laugh:

Kat32807
06-24-2008, 03:27 PM
The valet parking is free for Velvet Sessions. I regularly go to the shows there - one of the few who goes for the music rather than the rest of the goings on. Cameras are allowed. They tried at one show to say please no pictures (as per the performer) - but that didn't work out very well.

No tickets are required ahead of time unless the show is expected to sell out - very rare that that happens. They haven't checked names at the door in a long time either so there should be no problem showing up the night of money (or credit card) in hand.

Breaks my heart that I will NOT be there Thursday for this show. Hubby has been laid off since March so money is beyond tight right now. I will be thinking of you all and wht a blast you are having!

thebunbun
06-24-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm probably not going to VS, I posted on another thread about it. It looks more like I won't be there than will. I will be at SP though.