PDA

View Full Version : Jannus Landing show

thebunbun
06-29-2008, 12:19 PM
We didn't go to the show at Velvet Sessions in Orlando, you know I wanted to do both shows but I am glad I didn't because I would have been worn out. I worked odd hours to get the time off, my car breaking down a week before the show having get it fixxed and to shell out $ for it didn't help either. I did a lot of running errands around the day before and the day of the show.

We left earlier than we were going to, about 45 minutes earlier which was great because we really ended up needing the extra time, we didn't have to rush. We left the house at 4:15pm. It was about a 2 hour drive to St. Pete. I had printed up directions off Mapquest. We've never been to St. Pete or Jannus Landing and it was rush hour. The drive was nice, traffic wasn't bad at all like I thought it would be and we didn't get lost, the one thing we weren't sure of was where to park when we got there. We found Jannus Landing, I recognized it immediately from the brickwall and the marqee I saw online. They obviously didn't have a parking lot.

We only saw 90 minute parking and 2 hour parking on the streets around there. I thought I'm going to end up with a parking ticket or get my car towed. They had parking enforcement driving around too so they are on the ball. We drove around the block, I said with all these shops and restaurants there has to be a parking garage around here. And there was, we drove by it and missed it because we were looking at Jannus Landing, it's across the street right before you get there. We parked in the parking garage and walked over to Jannus Landing. It's a funky place, the entrance is at the corner, a row of bars and gift shop and a few small restaurants, more take out than eat in, some had 2 tables or bar stools and a counter. The other side was that brick building with the marqee on the side of it. We saw that is said no re-entry at the gate where you go in.

We didn't want to go in just yet so we walked on the side that had the bars and shops and stopped inside Joey Brooklyn's, we each had a slice of cheese pizza and a soda. We walked back over to the entrance and there were some Rastafarians setting up stands to sell merchandise. They were ready to let us in it was 7pm. We met a nice couple in line, security took our tickets and we walked in. It was a courtyard with some trees and around the base of the trees there were wooden benches to sit. There was a patio bar and the back end of those shops had their doors open and selling pizza and beer and drinks. (It was probably cheaper that we ate before we got in. You know how it is, once you're inside you can't leave and they got you price wise.)

We went to bar they had set up and Tom ordered a large beer and I ordered a small mix drink of vodka and pink grapefruit juice, it came to $17!!! $9 for his beer and $8 for my drink. I said Tom I should have got a beer like you his was 32oz and mine was 8oz. He gave me some of his beer after I finished my drink. I didn't even finish the beer he gave me. I'm not much of a beer drinker at all. We met some other nice people and we swapped stories of our 80's band concerts we went to. I didn't know there were going to be other bands there (that happens most of the time.) The first duo was a guy keyboard and a guy on an electric acoustic guitar, they were good. Tom and I went over to stand up front, there were no seats so the $15 reserved seating was a crock, there wasn't any.

We thought the Fixx would be on after them and they announced another band Ditch Flowers. I don't know the name of the first band, I didn't catch it. Tom wanted another drink it was so hot out but we got sodas this time. I got Diet Pepsi and I got him Mountain Dew, $3 each! I brought them back, he saved my spot. Now the 2nd band was great! They had 4 guitarist, a drummer and they were much better than the 1st band. They also played 2 Beatle songs in their set. And Your Bird Can Sing. It's been so long, is that the name? The other one I can't remember just now. Anyway... The place was filled with all kinds of shopping, music and stuff to do. We didn't have time to walk around but you could spend the whole day in the area and not see everything. It looks like such a fun place. I'd definitely go back.

I thought ok we are going to be standing for a while here I hope Tom is going to last. :) I think he did better than me! So now that band left and we saw the Fixx's stage guys setting up. I think I saw a guy in the crowd who looked like he was from the Fixx forum, I think I've seen his picture on here. I'm not 100% on that. Doctor Roger was up on stage. He set out the towels and bottled water and a bottle of wine and a wine glass for Cy. I recognized him right away.

The stage area had a large awning over it so if it were to rain we wouldn't get wet. It was humid and 50% chance of rain, it only sprinkled a little on our drive to St. Pete. I was really happy about that because I had makeup on and if it rained I would have looked a mess. I didn't use mascara because it was humid and I would end up looking like a raccoon. I had some tissue with me and I dabbed my face so that I wouldn't mess up my make up. There wasn't a breeze to be had. You could see behind the stage it was up against the building and they had a walkway. One of the doors had the window in it blocked out with a black cloth it looked like. I figured it must be them. Right before the show was about to start I saw a bunch of guys come out and I could make out Dan and Jamie. Doctor Roger introduced the band and they came on stage.

I was so happy when they came out I was screaming and cheering! :) The place went nuts. They opened with Deeper and Deeper. They played a lot of hits and some from the new album. The other songs they did, Red Skies at Night, Shuttered Room, One Thing Leads to Another, Less Cities More Moving People, Secret Separation (my all time favorite song!) Some People, Stand or Fall, Are We Ourselves, Woman on a Train, Yesterday Today, Cause to be Alarmed, Everyone Believes in Something, and more... It was so awesome! We were standing right in front of Cy and Rupert. Jamie was to our right on the other side. Dan was between Jamie and Adam on drums, standing back next to the drums. There was a guy taking photos inside the security area, he got in front of me once, he told everyone in the front before the show that he would be up taking pictures but I was not happy he got in front of me. Lucky he didn't stay there long.

This is long so I'm making a Part 2. :wave:

Steve Pariseau
06-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Hold on, the played Shuttered Room?

thebunbun
06-29-2008, 04:01 PM
I asked Tom just now, they played Shuttered Room right? He said yes. I said, I thought so! I know I wasn't dreaming, and we listened to the Shuttered Room cd on the drive over. They sang the Shuttered, shuttered shuttered part a little differently I noticed and he was motioning the crowd to sing along. It was very cool!

yyzed
06-29-2008, 05:19 PM
They did not play shuttered room. The setlist for Orlando and St. Pete were the same as follows:

Deeper and Deeper
All is Fair
Are we Ourselves
One Thing
Yesterday, Today
Secret Separation
Cause to Be Alarmed
Less Cities
Everyone Believes in Something
Life Goes On
Driven Out
Stand or Fall
Woman on a Train
Fatal Shore
Red Skies
~encore~
Flow
Saved By Zero

I'm listening to St. Pete right now. Good to hear Yesterday, Today and the Flow in the set. It was nice having the shows to listen to on the plane back to Philly.

Had a great trip down to Fla. Stayed with a friend of mine that moved there about 10 years ago, and got to see the Fixx twice. Good deal!!!

-yyzed

thebunbun
06-29-2008, 05:38 PM
I thought they did, I guess I mixed it up with another song. I didn't write down the songs that night and I tried to get a set list but they were grabbed up before I could get one. Sorry for the mistake, not done intentionally. All my Fixx albums are on vinyl and my player is broken. I have the first 2 LPs on CD. I haven't updated all my LPs to CDs yet. :o Maybe it was drink! :drunk:

Carrie
06-29-2008, 06:29 PM
They sound like great shows; I wish I could go to all of them! While it's too bad they didn't do Shuttered Room and Some People, it's a good thing in one way - I was so jealous thinking they had that I nearly had the cats running for shelter with my outburst :p Now I can calm down...

thebunbun
06-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Ok Some People too? :confused: My photographic memory needs revamping. Next time I'm grabbing a set list. It was all the excitement I guess, maybe it was wishful thinking. :laugh: Again not intentional, I'm still recovering, it's been a long weekend! :help:

Here's Part Two of the night:

After the show I saw Doctor Roger walk by and asked him if there was going to be a meet and greet. He said no. I thought that's weird, they usually do, we started to walk towards the gate. I wasn't going to leave anyway, at least not after I'm sure they aren't coming out. I saw Dan come down from upstairs and over on to the stage. Then a few minutes later I see Rupert on the catwalk. He looked down and I looked up and gave him the thumbs up, he gave me one back. I said to Tom, Roger doesn't know I'm on the forum. If they go inside and do a meet and greet we won't get in to meet them. I didn't know what was going on if they were coming out or what so when he walked by again I introduced myself and he said he's seen my posts from the board, he said they will come out soon. We'll be forming a line here. So that was cool, they were going to meet fans after all. (Thanks Roger!)

After a few minutes Jamie came out, he was at the door by the stage, just inside the gate, there were people in front of us meeting him, Tom and I were waiting with the couple we met on the way in. I heard a guy's voice call out Bunny! I look over and it was Jamie!!!!! I said Oh my God Jamie! I ran over to his side and I said I can't believe you remember me after all this time! It's been 11 years! I said, Jamie I want you to meet my boyfriend Tom. Tom came over and I said Jamie this is Tom, Tom this is Jamie. They greeted each other and shook hands. I said it so great to see you again. He commented on Tom's Tom Waits t-shirt, Jamie said, Tom Waits hey cool. Tom asked, You like Tom Waits? Jamie said, Yes. So they are having a Tom Waits Mutual Appreciation Convention, I'm thinking, Tom Waits big deal! (Just kidding to all the Tom Waits fans out there.) He showed us his t-shirt which had a Roxy Music album cover on it of two women, he pointed to one and said this is my wife. Tom said, That's really your wife? Jamie said, Yeah, I'm a lucky man. Tom told him how much of a fan I was. I said Yeah, but I only jumped on stage once. Jamie looked at me with interest. I said, I didn't do it to hurt anyone. It was at Summers on the Beach in Fort Lauderdale in the early 90's. (I looked up my ticket later at home, 4-17-91.) I told him as I stood up and a big guy came after me and I jumped back down. Jamie signed our ticket stubs and he pose for a pic with me. I was so happy he remember me after so long. We thanked him for a great show. The security guards were telling everyone to leave so we had to go outside the gates. We got in line to meet the rest of the guys.

I saw Adam signing stuff for the fans next to us. There were several people with him. We didn't get to meet him that night. I wanted to get a pic of Tom and Jamie together but I didn't get to. He was nearby. We were next in line to meet Cy, we also thanked him for a great show. I told him I sent the band flowers here back in 1997, it was after a show you did in Fort Lauderdale. Cy said he ate them. I said I'm glad you liked them! I sent a card with it that said "To the best band a fan ever had." He said that was nice. I asked if we could get a picture with him and he said yes. A lady in line took it for us. It came out nice. He also signed our ticket stubs. We thanked him again then we met Dan. He signed our ticket stubs. I told him it was great to have him back in the band and how great the show was. I told him that my sister was his favorite. He paused and I said that didn't come out right did it? I meant to say, he was my sister's favorite in the band. (She couldn't make it to the show.) Tom told him that he thought he was a great bass player. Dan said Thanks. :) Dan metioned he like Tom Waits too. Tom said, Me too. (Here we go again!) :) We then met Rupert. He signed our ticket stubs. I told him that on the first Fixx tour in the US, my sister and I went to the hotel the day of the show in Fort Lauderdale and we hung out at the pool with him, Adam and Dan. I told him he let me rub suntan lotion on his back. :) He said when? I said when you played at the Sunrise Musical Theater in Fort Lauderdale on your very first tour here. Jamie and Cy had gone to an appearance at Peaches Records and Tapes.

I didn't tell Rupert what he said. There wasn't much time to tell the whole story to him. We were there at the pool and he asked us, Would one of you lovely ladies put lotion on my back? My sister said I grabbed the bottle so fast, she never had a chance. LOL! Don't have to ask me twice! It was hot out that day and we were both in shirts, jeans and sneakers. They were in swim shorts on the lounge chairs we sat and talked, we stayed till Jamie and Cy came back. We got to meet them by the bus in the parking lot. We left to go to the theater and they went inside to get ready. We had heard from someone that artists who performed at Sunrise Musical Theater stayed at that hotel. It was a Holiday Inn on University Dr. a few miles from Sunrise. I figured when the Fixx were there, let's check it out and see if it was true, it was. We pulled up about 10-11am and walked in the hotel. The pool was in the center of the hotel. We just walked around a few minutes and saw them. We walked over and met them. They invited us to sit down and hang out with them. We got sodas out of the vending machine. They were nice, I don't remember what we talked about the whole time it was so long ago but that lotion part I remember. I'm sure we talked about their music, MTV and where we were all from, both my sister and I were in the marching band in school, that kind of stuff.

We didn't get Rupert's picture right away they were all starting to go back upstairs. We went back to Joey's to get bottled water. We came back and sat down on the bench near by and drank our water. I saw Rupert again down stairs and I asked him for a pic with him, he said sure so Tom took it for me. We thanked him and left. It was a great night. We had a lot of fun. We had a long drive back. We found the highway and we were off back home. I downloaded the pics to my computer the next morning and burned a CD and took it to Walgreens. I just picked them up, they look better in print than on my myspace page. They aren't the greatest but they came out ok. I want to get a better camera for this kind of stuff. The digital camera I have is one with 2.0 mega pixels. That's it, I hope you liked it. It was fun!
My photos on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eikcalb13/

Doctor Roger
06-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi Bunbun,

Great to finally put another face to the FIXX-Ticious (did I just make that up?) names on the board.

Once I knew who you were I tried my best to accomodate your requests, and those of the other fans on line. I'm sorry for the confusion as security didn't plan on a meet and greet as the merch didn't arrive. It was quite impromptu when the band guys instructed me to go ahead and keep the line, that they would gladly come down and sign for the fans, even though there was nothing sold and no "financial gain" for the band, house, or management.

I mention this as it showed me another new dimension of the reciprocal love, respect, and time the band has for us fans. Bun, if you did get your pictures or autographs you were seeking, you can thank the band as they gave the order, I simply carried it out.

Hope to see you on the east coast??

Love to All,

Dr. Roger

thebunbun
06-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh I understand, no problem. I did notice there wasn't any merchandise available but thanks for everything. I am always appreciative anytime they take time out to meet fans. I know you were trying to keep it manageable for them. I'm sure they were tired.

I won't make it to the other shows but I'm tempted for the 930 Club, I've been there before in '93 for another band. I really enjoyed your introduction. It was extremely heartfelt and I know you meant every word.

Thanks to you and the band and crew, again it was awesome! :wave:

tenohtwo
06-30-2008, 12:59 PM
The Flow and Yesterday, Today - VERY NICE.

thebunbun
06-30-2008, 11:26 PM
I haven't been in touch with their music since the Ink album. I have lots to catch up on but I really liked what I heard. I just have to get acquainted with it.

EquestrianGrl78
07-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Hey, I'm glad you had fun at the show! On July 27th, this will be my second Fixx show! I am so happy, only 27 more days to go!:)

Alicia

thebunbun
07-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Thanks Alicia, I hope you have as much fun as I did! :D

The Queen
07-02-2008, 06:14 AM
I'm glad they are posting some of the songs from the Jannus Landing Show on their myspace page....they sound great, even if they look disjointed and like each one is doing their own thing.

thebunbun
07-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Queen, I hope they put it up for sale. I would love to have it. There wasn't anything for sale at the show. I was hoping to pick up some cds and a couple of shirts. Maybe next time.

bradluke0
07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
hi all !! a couple of thoughts on the Jannus Landing gig......
1. We were hoping to purchase some "stuff" after the show , a little disappointed here , however , having the band come out for autographs and pictures anyway more than made up for it (especially since there was no financial gain without merchadise). The simple fact they came out to see everyone further confirms our feelings towards them....they kick a@# !
2.One couple that came with us had never seen the boys before . As soon as the concert was over they had to head back to Tampa to pick up the kids so we did not really get a chance to talk to them other than a "great show " and a quick thumbs up. On Saturday night they attended a big name country concert ( I think at the Ford Ampatheater ) which they were very excited about attending. But guess what ?? They were bored . They said after Friday night at Jannus nothing could be a match for that. Is this cool or what ? Ahhhh , can it be any better than this.......brad

thebunbun
07-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I ordered 20th Century Masters DVD and 25th Anniversary Anthology CD. I can't wait to get them! :D I looked into going to DC and VA but I won't be going. I think I'll save up for next time. I told my friends in NC and CA to go see the guys, I hope they can make it, I wish I was going to more shows. :( Sigh!!! My one of my pics from the show, thought you might like to see it.

Carrie
07-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Great pic (o'course)! We'll miss you in DC and VA, but maybe we'll meet in November. I'll try to make a good report on the shows...

Doctor Roger
07-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Great Picture BunBun...

I was good to see you in Florida. Hope to see you again during the tour.

Thanks Again,

dr. Roger

thebunbun
07-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks Carrie and dr Roger! I'm medicating myself with Fixx videos on YouTube. :p I don't have to tell you to have fun cuz I'm sure you will! :cheers: