PDA

View Full Version : Standing Beside Yourself

MikeyC38
07-05-2008, 06:53 PM
A friend of mine downloaded a live show off the internet. It's from 1989. There is a song on it I had never heard before but I really like it.

I think it's called stand beside yourself. As far as I know it has never been recorded onto an album? Am I wrong?

Any of you FIXX history buffs know anything about when it was recorded and if it was ever recorded as a studio song? I'm thinking that it was somewhere between calm animals and ink

Mike

Steve Pariseau
07-06-2008, 09:25 AM
The song is a product of the era between React and Calm Animals. It was played a couple times in concert in 1987 while the Calm Animals material was being developed. I've been meaning to get it posted on the Sound File Archive, it's still sitting on my desk. I've just been swamped. This gem was unearthed by our very own yyzed.

tenohtwo
07-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Wasn't React a contractual obligation before they left MCA for RCA? It's a peculiar compilation - 3 new songs, 1 remake, and an edited concert. I just wonder if the band didn't want to commit a full LP of new material to the label, for whatever reason. Whenever a band re-records an old single, I always wonder what that's all about:

Real Life - Send Me An Angel '89
New Order - Blue Monday '88
Modern English - I Melt With You '89
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry '86

etc..

Red Skies certainly isn't a song that needed to be remade (unless The Fixx really heard something live that they wanted to commit to tape). I'd guess more often that it's some sort of $$ move by the label.