PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to DC/Portsmouth?

Carrie
07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey all!

I'm looking forward to leaving on our road trip to the DC/Portsmouth shows on Wednesday! I know of a few of you who are going to the 9:30 Club and nTelos Pavilion shows, but wondered who else is planning on attending? Maybe we could post pics and such so we Fixxtures can identify each other/meet up? As for Dan and me, we're in my avatar, and I'll have a British flag purse - shouldn't be hard to miss!

Here's our plan for the trip - PM me for my cell # if you'd like to get together!

Wed. 9th - drive down
Thurs. 10th - 9:30 Club show
Fri. 11th - Udvar-Hazy Center, Air and Space Museum
Sat. 12th - drive to Portsmouth, nTelos show
Sun 13th - drive home

Carrie
07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Roger,

Sent you a PM. :D Carrie

taralyn919
07-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Josh and I will be at the DC show.

We are leaving straight from work, so we won't be at the venue as early as I'd normally like. But then we'll break all laws of etiquette to get as close to the stage as possible.

That totally rude couple -- yeah, that's us! ;)

:) Tara Lyn

Carrie
07-08-2008, 04:02 PM
It's all good, as long as you don't cut in front of us, hehehe :p See you there!

coastalite
07-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I'll be at the July 12th show in VA.

Does anyone have the bands in order of appearance?

Doctor Roger
07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Welcome Coastalite !

Nice to see you here on the official Fixx website ! I think you'll find a host of good, caring people who have something in common with you and with our common thread...we all love the Fixx's music!

Looking forward to meeting you in DC/Va, hopefully both. Regarding the order of appearance, last year's tour with the Furs saw the Fixx playing second. I don't know when they will go on, BUT, I'm sure you'll love The Alarm and the Beat, both great live bands. I suggest you arrive early enough to see all three bands. You'll also get to meet Fixx, Alarm, and Beat fans at the show. If it's anything close to the Florida shows last week, you'll be glad you came.

Welcome from sunny and VERY hot California !

Dr. Roger

Carrie
07-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Well, we had a nice trip down today! We ate our "picnic lunch" at a local fruit and vegetable stand in Maryland, found our hotel pretty painlessly, and have been enjoying the pool and hot tub and our lovely room! We're looking forward to tomorrow, with a possible trip to the nearby National Arboretum for a walk before getting ready for the show. I think it'll be a day full of fun, and maybe a few surprises...don't want to say too much more now, just to GET PSYCHED! Well, I probably don't have to tell Fixxtures that!

More details about our adventures following the show tomorrow! ;) :p :D

Welcome coastalite, hope we get to meet in Portsmouth!

The Queen
07-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Have a great time Carrie! I won't be in Portsmouth unfortunately, I'll be out of town. Hope to catch you the next time around.

:cheers:

thebunbun
07-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Here's wishing you all a great show in DC and VA! Have fun and remember, we want details!!! :D

coastalite
07-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Here is the lineup for July 12th:

The Alarm
The Fixx
The English Beat

Carrie
07-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by The Queen
Have a great time Carrie! I won't be in Portsmouth unfortunately, I'll be out of town. Hope to catch you the next time around.

:cheers:

Aww, we'll miss you! Report later!

Carrie
07-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Hey all! We had a great time last night - didn't even get lost, and got to the venue a little early! We found the parking, picked up our tix, and got in line. Didn't see anyone I knew in line, but soon saw Roger, and after hugs and "hi"s, he brought us in to the venue early due to our doing a favor and picking Rupert up at the airport Wednesday. We took our spot front and center! After a great energetic set by the Alarm, we were pleasantly surprised to see Andrew (The Flow) and his wife Barbara and friends, who asked us if we had plans to go to the cancelled AC show. I looked for Tara Lyn, but didn't see her - were you there, Tara Lyn? Roger, Scott and the stagehands started taping up set lists, so I had a peek. It was as follows, only Saved By Zero wasn't listed but WAS played:

Deeper and Deeper
All Is Fair
Are We Ourselves
One Thing Leads To Another
Yesterday, Today
Secret Separation
Driven Out
Everyone Believes In Something
Stand Or Fall
Woman On A Train
Fatal Shore
Red Skies
Saved By Zero

I was a little bummed that we didn't get to hear Cause to Be Alarmed or a song from a ways back that Rupert had told us they'd thought of doing, but it was great to hear Are We Ourselves and Yesterday, Today live for the first time. Cy made his usual comment about being sick of One Thing, but someone in the crowd yelled out, "Yeah, but that song from 25 years ago still sounds GREAT"! And it does. It was a little disconcerting that they only did one of the "new" songs, but they're probably saving those for November.

The guys came out with Cy a little behind the others, and last. He was wearing a bright orange shirt, so I was glad I'd worn a peachy-orange one myself! He'd shaved his hair again, which I thought made him look his age, but when he looked right at me a few times while singing, I got lost in those eyes and could only think that he's as mesmerizing as ever :o All the guys looked like they were having fun interacting with fans. Roger didn't get to do his intro, but was diggin' the vibe from the back of the stage. My Dan said he liked Dan K.'s hat, and I told him he almost always wears it.

Anyway, where was I, hehe? Oh yeah, Cy was having trouble adjusting his mike stand, and someone in the crowd teased him that he could have done it twenty years ago. He laughed and said he needed to get some "practice" on tour, and he'd be fine :o He made some other comments that I couldn't quite make out, one about our creating a man-made heaven, and a funny one about his glass of wine always being empty. I pointed at myself and said, "Wasn't me"!

All too soon, the set was over. We saw Andrew & co. going backstage, and I thought about seeing if we could, but didn't know if we'd be welcome, and we weren't keen on fighting the packed crowd or missing the English Beat. While the stage was being set up, I realized I hadn't picked up a set list. Dan spied one taped over by the drum kit, and I asked Roger to get it for me. My first set list, woohoo! The English Beat came on about 11:00. They aren't as much our type of music, but they sure have a great energy and are awesome at interacting with fans. Both they and especially Mike Peters had good things to say about the Fixx and the other bands, Mike saying that Cy and Dave Wakeling were good friends of his. Cy in turn thanked Mike for changing his life in so many ways. I thought that was cool. The fans of the different bands seemed to have fun together, too...an appreciative Alarm fan thanked me for getting one of the cards for her.

After the show was over, we asked Roger if there were any after-party plans, and he said there originally had been, but that the bands wanted to supervise the tear-down and packing with this being the first show of the RTC tour, and that he didn't think it would happen. We said good night to Scott, the tour manager and promised to keep in touch in Portsmouth.

Oh, there wasn't any Fixx merch or Stixx at this show, but there were CyCurnin.com shirts, lanyards, and bracelets. With Dan and I having all of these between the two of us, we didn't need to do any shopping.

I hope to have pics on my MySpace and Facebook soon! Roll on Portsmouth! :D

taralyn919
07-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Hello All!

Had a great time last night! Me and my boyfriend, Josh, saw the 930 Club show and it was awesome!

I finally met Dr. Roger and I think I saw Carrie as well right up in front.

Here are my photos:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v687/taralyn919/FIXX_July_10_2008/

And here are a couple of the best:

Cy and Jamie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/taralyn919/FIXX_July_10_2008/P7100057.jpg

Dan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/taralyn919/FIXX_July_10_2008/P7100075.jpg

Cy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/taralyn919/FIXX_July_10_2008/P7100071.jpg

Jamie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/taralyn919/FIXX_July_10_2008/P7100074.jpg

:) Tara Lyn

Carrie
07-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Since I'm having issues with either MySpace or Photobucket right now, I thought I'd post a link, too:

Click here (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v739/betera/theFixx071008/)

There are some other pics from our trip in there, but rest assured, there are a lot of show pics, too!

Noreen
07-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Great pictures!!! :)

Looks like Dave of the English Beat got a spiffy haircut. Nice. :)

Can't wait for the Reno and Saratoga shows (and SF).

thebunbun
07-12-2008, 07:29 PM
I loved the pictures! :goodie: It sounds like it was a blast! :D I'm glad you all had fun!!!

DreamOutLoud
07-13-2008, 11:10 AM
hiya! I am new to the boards here but have been a fixx fan for years..

I was at the DC show and it was FANTASTIC! Cy and the boys put on a great show. I can't wait to see them again!

anywho here are some pics I took. Was just a notch or two off dead center front row in front of Cy.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/CrazyU2Fan/IMG_0635.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/CrazyU2Fan/IMG_0636.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/CrazyU2Fan/IMG_0638.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/CrazyU2Fan/IMG_0643.jpg

love this pic
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/CrazyU2Fan/IMG_0644.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/CrazyU2Fan/IMG_0646.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/CrazyU2Fan/IMG_0651.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/CrazyU2Fan/IMG_0658.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/CrazyU2Fan/IMG_0659.jpg

heimo
07-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the board!
Great pictures and thank you for sharing.
Like cy in the blue light and the red one showing his mouth between his hands.

DreamOutLoud
07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by heimo
Welcome to the board!
Great pictures and thank you for sharing.
Like cy in the blue light and the red one showing his mouth between his hands.

thanks for the welcome!:D

those are my favs too..

thebunbun
07-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Fantastic pictures! Welcome to the board! :) Bunny

Carrie
07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
I'll jump the train to take that step, I'll make the plane to fly away, I'll even drive on 95...

In the bumper-to-bumper traffic! We started out from DC in the morning on Saturday, and it took about 6 hours to get to Portsmouth - I'd forgotten how nasty the traffic can be! I'll never complain about being from a backwater city again - we don't tend to have traffic problems like that! We barely got to check in the hotel, call Roger to see what was going on, and head back out. We got lost (again) and I was stressing that we'd be in the back row when we finally got there, but we found seats in the center of the second row! I got some good pics as a result, plus the black background helped (these are posted backwards from end to beginning):

Click Here (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v739/betera/theFixx071208/)

It was pretty much the same setlist as Thursday, with All Is Fair omitted and Everyone Believes and Yesterday, Today trading places. Cy said he was having trouble with his voice, but sounded awesome. The sound seemed better for hearing his funny comments between songs.

Partway through the show, Roger gave Dan and I a drumstick on which he had written the following:

"07-08 To: Carrie & Dan Thanks!! Fixx, Alarm, English Beat"

A very nice gift, much appreciated! The drumstick had definitely seen use, too, as it had marks on the back where it looked like two sticks had been tapped together :)

Roger had said that the guys were going to be getting ready to set off for New York right after the show, so we figured there wouldn't be a chance to meet them, and left after the Fixx were done - we wanted to get back to our hotel and get a good night's sleep for the ride home yesterday. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to see them in Delaware.

More details later - have to get ready for work, or I'll be late on my first day back!

DreamOutLoud, you must have been standing right next to me...I had on a peach sleeveless shirt with a lily on it and a flowered skirt...!

cageyJG
07-14-2008, 04:57 PM
New guy here also... This was my first time seeing The Fixx and I never thought I'd get the chance. These guys wear their hearts on their sleeves and it is exceptional to see it in person.

The Portsmouth concert was PHENOMENAL. I edged my way in the center section, about five rows back all the way on the right. These guys are fantastic, just one-of-a-kind. As most of you noticed, the place didn't really seem to be packed until their set. The fans went NUTS at Saved by Zero, which unfortunately was the last song, I think. The band really seemed to be in a great mood and were real crowd-pleasers.

I have six of their albums but don't have 'Driven Out,' 'Everyone Believes in Something,' nor 'Woman on a Train.' Which CD should I be looking at buying?

I only wish they could have played a song or two from 'Want That Life,' like 'Are You Satisfied?', or 'Taking the Long Way Home.'

THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!

Steve Pariseau
07-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by cageyJG
...I have six of their albums but don't have 'Driven Out,' 'Everyone Believes in Something,' nor 'Woman on a Train.' Which CD should I be looking at buying?

Pick up Calm Animals and Phantoms. Everyone Believes has not been released yet.
Welcome to the message board.

coastalite
07-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Portsmouth VA Fixx Pix (http://picasaweb.google.com/brianclarkbar/RockinTheColoniesTour)

Steve Pariseau
07-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Great shots there, particularly of the Alarm.

It got tougher as the night wore one eh?
Thanks for posting them.

M&KP
07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks from us, too, for posting the Portsmouth concert pics! We were just in front of you, second row, center, but forgot our camera! Was impressed with the Alarm and English Beat, but really was there to see Cy and the boys!

Great show! Too bad the Fixx didn't have two hours (or three!) to play!!
I've been a fan since 1983, but it was my first time seeing them live. Hope to see them again in the fall!

Funny story: I told my nine-year old son that mommy and daddy were going to see a band that we listened to in high school and college. he replied, "And they're still alive?" He is now grounded until he's 27.

rockerchic
07-15-2008, 11:43 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is funny M & KP!
My 5 year old said something that I took as funny but she had no idea the reason why I was laughing. When we were planning the over nite stay in Atlantic City (this is before we knew it was cancelled) , she asked "Are you all going to sleep in the same bed or different beds?" :eek: :devil:

Carrie
07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Good gravy, it's taking me forever to catch up, but I wanted to add a little more about the funny comments Cy made in Portsmouth, for those who weren't there! Also, kudos to my Dan for noticing Cy didn't use an egg shaker during this show - sort of unusual. The sound was better for hearing Cy's comments during this gig than it had been in DC, though there was a little feedback at times while they were performing. One thing I did like and haven't noticed until this tour is the echo in the sound.

As the show started, I held up my cycurnin.com lanyard, and I swear Cy pointed at it! After Deeper and Deeper, he mentioned feeling under the weather, and that he felt like he was going to have a heart attack! He said "hey, that would be easy, just die here onstage, keel over and not have to worry about Depends or Geritol"! Funny, though I'm not ready to think about Cy dying! Well, I'm not ready to think about him in Depends either :p

After Are We Ourselves, he asked us, "Are you where you thought you would be after getting out of college"? [No.] He went on, "You can sit on MY couch for 400 bucks and I'll tell you anything you want". Hehe, in my case, it's more like, here, take a pill and come back in a month. But point taken!

Somewhere (I think it was after One Thing) he noticed our smiles and made a comment about "all those white American teeth, not like these", pointing to his own. Umm, I'm glad ours look white from afar :D

Secret Separation prompted a quip about having one's identity stolen. He followed Driven Out by expressing his regret at Californians being driven out by the recent wildfires, then said, "And what about all that "weed"?!? Easy there, Cy...wonder if he's bummed it went up in smoke, or that it didn't go up in smoke while he was there to breathe it in? Hehehehe.

After Yesterday, Today, he expressed the band's happiness to be performing songs that had "been in the cellar too long", similar to what he was saying in Jeff's recent interview.

At some point before the end of the show, he plugged Love, Hope, Strength and once again thanked Mike Peters for getting him involved. At this point, I shook my cycurnin for LHS bracelet in the air, and swear he said "ah, very good"! WOOHOO!

Sweet! Got this report done before it's time to go to the Delaware show! Stay tuned for that one, from Carrie...who gives you all the news that's Fixx to print...!