PDA

View Full Version : First Avenue, Minneapolis

dejapete
07-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Another town, another show...First Avenue is a spacious venue where bands can really fill the place with their sound. Lots of room, upstairs, downstairs, and if I'm counting right, six (?) bars.

None of the bands disappointed. Of course, I was there to see The Fixx. I came away from their set thinking, this is a band that has matured even more than ever, and they have really bettered themselves. To me, the standout was "Fatal Shore". Dan K. Brown really brought a new dimension, playing some high notes on his bass during the quiet portion of the song. I'd love to hear that again...

So nice to see my Midwest Fixxture friends, Dave Romfoe and Jeanne Thelen again. Jeanne did a great job at the merch table. Sadly, still no Fixx T-shirts. There were Cy shirts, a Cy lanyard, a Cy bracelet, and Cy's CD. The Fixx had Stage Two and the tour book.

I bought the tour book, and I have to say, it's a fine piece of work. In it, you read the history of the band, told in quotations from the members themselves, along with lots of photos, some of them rare. It's about twenty-five pages, a must have for fans.

Here's what The Fixx played:

Deeper and Deeper
All Is Fair
Are We Ourselves?
One Thing Leads to Another
Everyone Believes in Something
Secret Separation
Driven Out
Yesterday, Today
Stand or Fall
Woman on a Train
Fatal Shore
Red Skies
Saved by Zero

slight edit for grammar

Jeanne Thelen
07-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Another town... another show....:)

What can I say that Pete has not said... It was a great night.. Great show and thankfully not as blasted hot as in Chicago... my hair managed not to look quite as "mad" with the humidity ...LOL!!...Seriously it looks like I have a blond raccoon on my head... LOL!!!

The guys were in great spirits ... Cy had several funny things to say including a response to " CY FOR PRESIDENT" that was yelled out from the crowd... ( HE WOULD GET MY VOTE!! :)..) Last show for them and on to a much needed break before the west coast shows...

Fatal shore was the best song of the night... Yesterday, Today was the second best.. LOVE THAT SONG.....so glad they added it to the show... even though It was an emotional song for me and was gently reminded by Cy to keep "the past in the past"....:)

Worked the Merch Table With Candy ( Merch girl from the English Beat) and had a great time with her, laughing and talking again... Merch sales down..not as good a Chicago... but I think, from what I understand that the long awaited Tee shirts may mysteriously appear....it would help alot with sales... If I had a dollar for everytime someone asked about Tee shirts... The band would never have to go on the road again...LOL!!!! Kidding...

Cy's shirts are really cool... Disapointed no one bought one.... :( I loved them... but i do not wear tee shirts....(shrug)

I agree... the Tour Book is Awesome and a must have for all the reasons Pete mentioned...... even though I have a complaint and Joked with Cy that I would like Re-do on my picture since I have lost weight... LOL!!! :) kidding ... I am not that vain...:)

I have lots of pictures to share and will get them on the board ASAP....unfortunatly I will have to get them printed and mailed to Ed... as my camera has decided it no longer wishes to down load anymore.... :(

Great two shows... for my last mid west shows... as I am soon to be a west coast girl again....:)

dejapete
07-22-2008, 02:51 PM
I have lots of pictures to share and will get them on the board ASAP....unfortunatly I will have to get them printed and mailed to Ed... as my camera has decided it no longer wishes to down load anymore....

Hurry up with the pics, Jeanne. It would be great to see them. Just keep the pictures of you separate in case they spontaneously combust and set fire to the rest of them. ;)

I want to add that First Avenue had some very fired up Fixx fans right in front of the stage, singing, jumping, and dancing. So, we on the MB are by far not the only fans...

dejapete
07-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Interesting Cy moments:

During "Fatal Shore", Cy enacted an execution style shooting, then smiled and waved bye-bye. Yes. Grim. But it made me laugh.

I think it was after "The winners' needs were the losers' dangers."

But anyone, please correct me because I'm not sure...

Yes. And after someone shouted "Cy for president". Cy said, "I don't want the job...Maybe janitor...There are enough *******s"

or something close to that.

Carrie
07-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Cool...sounds like you got a treat. It makes me imagine some of the roles Cy may have played had he carried through with becoming an actor, and how awesome he would have been in doing so!

Not that I'm complaining that he's a singer, mind you!

My mother always says that the problem with politics is that very few good people want to be involved. Cy's reaction bears that out...

mywar
07-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Great show in mpls.

I was shocked at the low turnout, but at $30 perhaps it was a bit too steep. It's that age old question of whether the same amount of revenue would have been brough in with more people at a lower ticket price.

Thought the Alarm were amazing. Didn't stay for the English Beat. I like some of their songs, but with a 9 month old at home, it wasn't a hard decision...

As for the shirts. I had money in hand for a fixx shirt, and would have even bought the Cy Curnin one if it was for him and not the website. I can't help but think that the days of having a website on a shirt ended over a decade ago. I ended up purchasing an Alarm shirt but wondered why there were no Fixx shirts... or no "Rocking the Colonies" shirts.

I would love to see one of those "weathered" logo looking shirts with "THE FIXX" on it. Nothing else. Nice and simple.

I thought that "All is Fair" and "Driven Out" were the highlights and was happy that two guys next to me were yelling for "Opinions". I second that!!!

It was nice to see and hear them at First Avenue, since the Fine Line (venue of last 2 show) is only good if you want to see Air Supply. Their sound system would make Motorhead sound like Hanson.

rockerchic
07-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Good point regarding "The Rockin' the Colonies" Tour shirt. A lot of people including me were looking to purchase one. We, the fans were assuming based on the logo that it would be a shirt much like last year's but in blue and of course the English Beat's name in place of the Furs. I guess the mystery still remains on what happened to the rest of the merchandise? Lots of anxious fans wanting Fixx merchandise this tour. I came across fans asking for double sided shirts for The Fixx and especially for the Cy shirt. So Cy we need your face on the back or front. In all honesty, most people did not have a clue what the picture is on the Cy shirt and was hoping for double sided and better photo/logo. Please don't shoot the messenger (Me!):rolleyes:
I was one of the big spending customers for a CD/DVD at the New York show. I enjoyed listenening/watching both yesterday. Very cool DVD put together by talented fans on this board. If you have not purchased it yet, it is "Stage 2 in the Public Eye". All my favorites now blasting from my stereo as I re-live the feel of a Live concert!
Some requests too to have "Mayfly" out for sale with the other Cy stuff. Fixx Cd's and videos also big requests.
My 2 cent opinion on ticket prices - I thought the price of the concert ticket was very fair since there are 3 bands. That is like watching each band at $10.00 a band. I can't think of too many other concerts other than free ones that is that affordable! In fact it was so affordable that I had purchased tix to see them twice that weekend even though the line up and setlist would probably remain the same, but sadly Atlantic City was cancelled suddenly and at the last minute ( yes and that was not nice of the HOB to put so many people out $$$, and not have the decency to put a cancellation sign anywhere! Thankfully for the compassion of Mike Peters of The Alarm, he personally put signs up at the Box Office and gave us fans a wonderful acoustic show! It was like having Mike in your living room and you got to shout out requests and sing along! Still can't thank you/your band/the fans enough. ) I'd think twice about returning to that House of Blues if ever a reschedule of events were to take place! I think they should have had an apology or compensation to the inconvenienced fans and not leave that up to the bands to do there or on their forums. Despite that though we had an awesome time and can't believe it is 2 weeks since the show and since longing for more!

:) :cheers:

45 rpm
07-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Just a quick fyi that there were new shirts at vegas & reno long sleeve white with the fixx rockin the colonies,the green fixx with don't look back on the back (although that sold out very quickly) and the black womens fit tee so grab em'while you can on the remaining gigs.thanks roger & scott as sales were great thanks to the new items on behalf of candy from the beat & myself from the alarm its been brilliant working with you both on the tour.-Lily

Carrie
07-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Oooo, I hope they have this merch in Delaware! A long sleeve tee would be great for us in the cold climates!

*rubbing hands together in anticipation*

dejapete
07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Lest we forget this is a thread about the Minneapolis show...;)
I'll upload some pics for you all within a couple days. :)

45 rpm
07-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by dejapete
[B]Lest we forget this is a thread about the Minneapolis show...;)
]. my apologies I saw there was some posts about the merch on the thread and having only a blackberry and not much time in between the gigs I thought I could add it to this thread to let you guys know what the new merch was.

dejapete
07-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by 45 rpm
. my apologies I saw there was some posts about the merch on the thread and having only a blackberry and not much time in between the gigs I thought I could add it to this thread to let you guys know what the new merch was.

No problem. It just bugs me when threads get hijacked and go a totally different direction. At least it didn't go down a dirt road. :)

Thank you, Ed, for putting my review on the band's tour page. I was pleasantly surprised to see it there. :cool:

thefixxdotcom
07-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Look forward to your photos!

Dave Romfoe
07-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Wow, what a great show! It was so good to see dejaPete and Jeanne again. It was a good crowd, and the sound filled the space nicely. I was hoping The Alarm would play Rain In the Summertime and Sold Me Down the River, but they did not. Mike Peters had a lot of energy and the band played a spirited set. Of course, I was there to see The Fixx.

It was awesome to see the classic Fixx lineup. I agree with dejaPete, one of the best moments was hearing Dan K. Brown play the high notes on his bass during the quiet portion of Fatal Shore. Is that a five-string fretless bass? I think I read that in the notes on one of their albums. Gary Tibbs did a great job, and he really added a lot to the backing vocals on certain songs, but it's great to have Dan back. I loved Yesterday, Today. I listened to Ink again after the show - there are some really solid songs on there. Keep brushing the dust off the lesser known songs. It is so good to hear a rare gem live.

I bought the tour book as well, and it is a nice keepsake. I look forward to the new album and any future projects. Oh, and a return visit to Minneapolis this fall!

dejapete
07-30-2008, 03:34 PM
I agree with dejaPete, one of the best moments was hearing Dan K. Brown play the high notes on his bass during the quiet portion of Fatal Shore.

Well...It's up on MySpace now. http://www.myspace.com/thefixx. Thanks, Ed, for honoring my request. That song is better than ever!

Still waiting for Jeanne's photos to arrive in the mail. :confused:

dejapete
08-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Is that a five-string fretless bass?

Well, Dave. To answer your question. It's a four-string bass, and it's not fretless.

dejapete
08-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Jeanne asked me to post her photos from the Minneapolis concert:

http://a814.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/84/m_c37cafa7f93ca2cfacd0416db3366a55.jpg

http://a915.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/23/m_55af376d4b906bc1f93211a006b734da.jpg

http://a259.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/104/m_db62087b07ddb11ad212b0c97c7a0cca.jpg

http://a110.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/102/m_6db23aa40eea0928029ced05101b603d.jpg

http://a773.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/11/m_d2305dfe08d00ff01b92c682ad3bb504.jpg

Jeanne at the merch table
http://a983.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/10/m_43f911bec1eaf27ed668b78597bfcf66.jpg

Rupert and Jeanne
http://a712.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/25/m_3e1570053df14cadef2dd3a80abd1097.jpg

Me, Jeanne, and Dave
http://a878.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/79/m_38c5b08ebb5490432b87b546d18e2d1d.jpg

buffalo-girl
08-05-2008, 06:10 AM
i love seeing these pics on here thank you so much for posting them!! and to jeanne too!! dee:wave: :tup:

Jeanne Thelen
08-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks Deja for doing that ....:) my camera...GRRRR... won't let me download...hoping to get that resolved....:)