PDA

View Full Version : trouser trout press!

Diamond05
06-28-2009, 09:54 PM
anyone ever seen this ?

I don't usually ever bring bad/negative press here to fixx central, but this piece of sh* was toooo damn comical to not laugh at :

I wanna know what this jackass considers "good music". then i might have some ground to maybe ever consider reading any future articles he ever writes....

MAKE SURE TO PUT this IRA ROBBINS on your holiday card list ***

WTF ?

Sounds like he didnt like the band from the start, and drew his line/opinion in the sand and never grew out of it... Def sounds like the old writer (moody blues era) that doesn't get it and still relives his glory 60s/70s days and is mad at the 80s for his oldness!!!

http://www.trouserpress.com/index.php

FIXX (Buy CDs by this artist)
Shuttered Room (MCA) 1982
Reach the Beach (MCA) 1983
Phantoms (MCA) 1984
Walkabout (MCA) 1986
React (MCA) 1987
Calm Animals (RCA) 1988
Greatest Hits: One Thing Leads to Another (MCA) 1989
Ink (Impact-MCA) 1991

Although they sound like a dozen other pretentious synth-heavy atmospheric English dance bands of the early '80s, London's Fixx (originally the Fix), aided immeasurably for a time by producer Rupert Hine's ability to sculpt their mundane songs and uncover marginal tense appeal, have managed to become enormously successful, regularly drawing a couple of irritating hits from each album. Shuttered Room offers "Red Skies" and "Stand or Fall"; Reach the Beach contains "One Thing Leads to Another" and "Saved by Zero"; Phantoms has "Are We Ourselves?" Showing remarkable consistency, they are all equally unpleasant and trivial. (Not too surprisingly, the Fixx's American success has been met by nearly total UK indifference.)

React, a "greatest hits live" package, contains performances, recorded at two late-1986 Canadian shows, of every one of those songs, plus three especially wretched new studio cuts. One Thing Leads to Another also includes the original versions of those memorable tunes (except that "Stand or Fall" is live) and more, several in alternate mixes. The rock-oriented Calm Animals, the Fixx's first album for a new label, has no songs worth mentioning.

Returning to its former corporate home after a three-year recording hiatus, the Fixx raised guitar's role on Ink, managing a fair INXS impression in spots but otherwise doing what the group has always done with no significant evidence of either fatigue or imagination.

Surprisingly, the Fixx popped up again in 1996.

[Ira Robbins]

*(unfugginbelievable or what? can we possiby be talking about the same awesome band that we all love ? )

dee
06-29-2009, 04:50 AM
wow i guess there's no counting for taste??!!!!! this is so sad!! sorry but this guy's taste is in his ***!!!!! :mad:

The Queen
06-29-2009, 06:16 AM
I'd be curious to find out what bands he does like.

I have found people to be either hot or cold on The Fixx, they are certainly not a band that elicits lukewarm responses, which I think is actually a good thing.

Carrie
06-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Kinda interesting that he only really speaks of the hits, or generalities about albums. I doubt he listened too carefully...probably had it on in the background while he was doing God-knows-what else :p He's committing the ultimate writing sin as well: not backing up assertions "all equally unpleasant and trivial", "three especially wretched new studio cuts", "no songs worth mentioning", and "no significant evidence of either fatigue or imagination" with any reasoning as to why he made them. I dearly hope he's not being PAID for this.

Cary C-Troll
06-29-2009, 07:11 PM
He can suck it...I don't care.

He's a troll.

Sorry for being vulgar. I feel better now.

Robert M
06-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by The Queen
I have found people to be either hot or cold on The Fixx, they are certainly not a band that elicits lukewarm responses, which I think is actually a good thing.

I agree 100%. :cheers:

For the record, Calm Animals only has "no songs worth mentioning" because all 10 are equally brilliant. ;)

... okay, I lied - "Gypsy Feet" is even better than the rest. :p

msmith1
06-30-2009, 08:56 PM
I so agree, Dave, Vee and Robert M!

Calm Animals..."Driven Out"...Jamie, THE guitar hero...need I say more???

... and I stand with Cary. You called it, girl, spot on!

Kim:tup:

shoeman
07-01-2009, 12:06 PM
And I agree with Carrie, his "review" is only superficial at best.

Also, I tire of people who refer to the band as "synth-heavy." You could apply that to Berlin or The Thompson Twins maybe, but not The Fixx. Yes, Rupert does beautiful work, but to overlook Jamie's majestic guitar is inexcuseable.

JMHO....

DanBoutin
07-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Cary C-Troll
He can suck it...I don't care.

He's a troll.

Sorry for being vulgar. I feel better now.

That mad me laugh...thanks. :laugh:

He says that Calm Animals "no songs worth mentioning". Driven Out was one of the most successful mainstream rock tracks of 1989. Good thing he did his research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_mainstream_rock_hits_(United_States) (http://)

January 21 - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - "Got It Made" - 2 weeks
February 4 - Eddie Money - “The Love in Your Eyes” - 1 week
February 11 - R.E.M. - "Stand" - 1 week
February 18 - The Fixx - "Driven Out" - 4 weeks
March 18 - Chris Rea - "Working On It" - 1 week
March 25 - The Replacements - "I'll Be You" - 3 weeks
April 15 - Julian Lennon - "Now You're In Heaven" - 1 week
April 22 - Tom Petty - "I Won't Back Down" - 5 weeks
May 27 - The Doobie Brothers - “The Doctor” - 3 weeks
June 17 - Stevie Nicks - "Rooms on Fire" - 1 week
June 24 - Tom Petty - "Runnin' Down a Dream" - 1 week
July 1 - Don Henley - "The End of the Innocence" - 4 weeks
July 29 - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - "Crossfire" - 3 weeks
August 19 - The Call - "Let the Day Begin" - 1 week
August 26 - Tom Petty - "Free Fallin'" - 1 week
September 2 - The Rolling Stones - "Mixed Emotions" - 5 weeks
October 7 - Aerosmith - "Love in an Elevator" - 2 weeks
October 21 - The Rolling Stones - "Rock and a Hard Place" - 5 weeks
November 25 - Eric Clapton - "Pretending" - 5 weeks
December 30 - Rush - "Show Don't Tell" - 2 weeks

Cary C-Troll
07-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Hi Dan,

*big sheepish grin* I probably shouldn't have posted that. Then, again, I am a troll : )

I can't reconcile it in my head how someone can dismiss our guys and all that talent. But there's a reason for the question "are you on glue?". These things happen.

Carrie
07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Interesting...the only songs that beat Driven Out for duration probably did so largely on the artists' names alone (not to knock Pretending or I Won't Back Down, I love both). End of The Innocence is another good one, but hella overplayed.