PDA

View Full Version : Going Without

mikey
03-19-2002, 06:54 PM
Several years ago I learned a valuable leason in that its not the music but the message thats important.I can't think of a better example of this than "the FIXX".I grew up in the 80's & the FIXX was always rollen in my tape deck & the reasons why I liked them so much is follows- 1]I loved their musical style & 2]They just sounded lyriclly different from everyone else during that era,but I never understood their lyrics...until resently.Growing up,my mom always monitored my musical tastes to certain extent.I never liked Metal,Trash,Cop-killer rap,ext.,ext. nothing like that, so she focused on the music never realizing that I was imbelished in a deep,dark secret.Y ou see,I grew up as a christian & still very much am,I'm rooted.If my mother was listening to the messege instead of the music ,my FIXX listening probably would have been short lived as long as I lived under her roof! Well, as you know,as the 80's grew weary,so did the FIXX's popularity on the charts.I moved on.I had sort of forgotten about them during the duration of the 90's.But when "The ultamite Collection" came out,the 80's came rushing back! Now,being a little older & more mature, I began to actually "listen" to the words.I suddenly understood what it was all about. I just had to sit down.I felt as if I were at a Cross-roads.Sombody answer this Question for me...Would I be sombody that the band would dislike or am I still a fan ? or better yet, should I be.... help I'M Torn. Mikey

irwin98
03-25-2002, 09:03 PM
i dont think it's up to us to decide whether or not you are a fan, it is up to you, if you like their music....simple enough, you are a fan. i've been a longtime and loyal fan (since 1982) but that doesn't mean i'm a bigger or more important fan than you. if you wrestling with issues regarding religion? well i have some opinions about that but this isn't the place for my feelings on such a debated subject. your religious convicitons should have nothing to do with the music you listen to.

regarding a list in your post is another story....at the risk of being called 'politically correct' ; rap is not about the cop-killing adjective you used to describe it with. that is the typical way a person who would be uneducated about the genre would describe it....granted, somerap is violent in nature but then again so are many parts of the bible. both are used as an outlet and pulpit for story telling and if you are educated enough to feel strongly about your religious beliefs.....i'd like to think your mental capacity is not low enough to fall into that.

itizuki
03-30-2002, 06:44 PM
If you are a Christian and believe in the Holy Spirit then you should know that He will help you when you are not sure about what to involve yourself in.......... Some people think of this as conviction or guilt , others feel it is ones own conciousness. I have heard it said that a persons first instinct is usually the right one.

Unsightly Waif
04-01-2002, 08:50 AM
I agree with Irwin on this question.

Mikey, you have to make up your own mind. No one can answer that question for you. If you like their music, you're a fan. It's up to you how far you take it.

I've never bought into the mentality that you have to be totally gaga over a group and buy all their stuff and see them everytime they come anywhere near your town to truly be a fan. I also do not think that one's religious beliefs should dictate what type of music you listen to.

USW :)

Octopulse
04-01-2002, 10:19 AM
from Unsightly Waif....

I also do not think that one's religious beliefs should dictate what type of music you listen to.

Yes I agree, I believe in God, but for me its a concept of a personal making, I dont believe in the biblical God, and that might surprise some of you because of previous posts of mine where I refer to God, for me.... God is like a voice that whispers across an empty expanse saying basically "be good to your kind, and you will benefit", its that simple for me. There are too many strange things in this world, too many unexplained things that to me speak of a higher power, but the one in the bible, or the koran, or whatever book a human put down, I dont buy it. Whatever God is, or isnt, I dont think man can grasp the meaning, at least not yet. I try to alot, but all I can do is try to understand, the process gives me hope for the future. I'm getting way off topic here, let me yank myself back....

I can listen to Marilyn Manson curse God because its not my version of God he's referring to.

as far as mikeys post it sounds like he just got done listening to Walkabout and is a bit confused. Maybe lines such as "this is our final state" and "the paints of Gods colour code" arent mixing well for ya. If somewhere along the line ya put the boys up on a pedestal and now its teetering I wouldnt let your personal interpretations of what the band is possibly expressing get you down, maybe the boys meant for someone just like you to think exactly what you are thinking!. A little confusion and a little conflict can lead to equilibrium, an eventual calm. Sounds like you need to take a journey of sorts, find that calm within.

What you see in the music may say more about you than anything you might see about the band within it.

Holy **** i need to shut up now, its late, its late, its late, but not too late (think Queen here please)

Unsightly Waif
04-02-2002, 10:22 AM
I really liked what Octopulse had to say about his version of God. I feel the same way. I usually avoid discussion religion with most people because I consider myself more spiritual than religious. To me God is more of a pervasive attitude about oneself and how we view and treat others.

It does not require me to go to a church or pray regularly because God is not there, he is everywhere!

I also realized, from Octopulse's words, that that is why I do not get offended by religious expressions in most rock/pop music because I realize it is not attacking my God. It is more an attack on the conventionality of established religions in our society!

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

USW!!! ;)

Yesunion
04-14-2002, 12:41 PM
your religious convicitons should have nothing to do with the music you listen to. irwin 98

I also do not think that one's religious beliefs should dictate what type of music you listen to. Unsightly Waif

Interesting, indeed. I agree with unsightly, your beliefs shouldn't dictate what you listen to. However, in reference to irwins words, I'd have to say that your beliefs can have a profound effect on what you listen to. I have very strong beliefs and love listening to music that is based on similar beliefs...for me it brings more depth, meaning, and joy to the music.

For instance, I believe that everyone is one person. Now, that is some deep ****, and I don't expect anyone, on an instant note, to understand this statement. But! when I'm listening to one of my favorite Yes songs and the lyrics go, "So, in answer to the prayer, the one you want is there, the one you feel so close to, the order of the sun, and everyone is one..."
Not only is that part a beautifully composed piece of music, it takes on added meaning, in great quantities, that truly amplifies the listening experience.

Unsightly Waif
04-14-2002, 05:07 PM
That is deep, to think that we are all one! It is a lovely idea and I wish it was true. Perhaps then, people would treat each other much better!

USW

Yesunion
04-14-2002, 08:54 PM
I've heard many lyrical references to this idea, and I never payed attention to them until after I began to realize it. Check it out. It's nothing more than believing in yourself and seeing yourself in others. Afterall, here we are, in the midst of eternity. Coincidence? A limited lifetime and then nothing forevermore? Or, maybe we've always been, and are playing a game of doing it all over and over again.

There are Fixx songs that, IMO, refer to this idea.

"I'm Life" is a good example. Just the idea that we are life is what this philosophy is about.

"Precious Stone" is all about it. We are a part of this stone, this shared life. (it might seem far fetched, but it makes total sense to me)

"The Flow" is another song about who/what we are/how we fit into this life..."you're the string and I am the bow....you're the space and I am the time..."

I think Calm Animals and Ink was a period for Cy to come straight out and say it more blatantly.

"Still Around" is way heavy. This is straight up metaphors about self realization.

Unsightly Waif
04-16-2002, 10:24 AM
There are Fixx songs that, IMO, refer to this idea.

Yes, I agree! There are many Fixx songs that reference this.

It all makes sense to me too! I think this is an interesting belief to include in my spirituality. Thank you for enlightening me!

USW

mikey
04-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Hey , Thanks to everybody for your replies ! I've taken taken every word seriously & you all have been most helpful....Really !
I'm here to stay
Mikey

Octopulse
04-18-2002, 07:56 PM
from Mikey...

I'm here to stay

good for you, and i'm glad you considered everyones advise in a positive light, dont be a stranger now!

mikey
04-18-2002, 08:55 PM
Thanks octo.
Type ya later
Mikey